Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

A little Interstellar science rover I was playing with, complete with 40MW reactor and big wheels. Single launch to Mun even with the wheels sticking out, I think I heard FAR cry.

Infernal Robotics

Interstellar

B9

ProceduralParts

DMagic Orbital Science

KWRocketry

FAR

SciRoverIMulti.jpg

Thanks to ZodiusInfuser's modeling efforts, I spent a few hours yesterday perfecting my Kethane rover (Warning: contains spoiders):

http://imgur.com/a/8xmFa

And its little babies:

http://imgur.com/a/r6VAa

Mod list (beeg spoider):

• Infernal Robotics and Rework for the legs.
  • Habitat Pack for the pod opisthosoma (tail, abdomen, icky ball thing).
  • KAS for attachment spinneret and crane on opisthosoma.
  • Kethane for the main body tank and the drill 'fangs'.
  • SCANsat for GPS and anomaly tagging.

And small spoider:

Now to get the blasted things to move...

Also, does anyone know of a spherical container where I could put a dozen or so of the babies and release them when needed?

I love the look of that spider! Gives me some ideas on what to tweak on mine. If you need a hand getting it to move let me know and I'll figure out how to post a craft file. Here's mine in motion:

Edited by Malsheck
fixed video link and typos =p

Those spider craft are engineering marvels, but they still give me the willies!

EDIT: Oh my God, it flies! A flying spider! I say we dust off, and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

^ I like the action groups to turn on the spot Malsheck, I need to get that working. At the moment mine can only turn with reaction wheels.

http://youtu.be/qou9atxhmMQ

Thanks =) Here's what I posted a little while ago in the IR thread... it should help you out =)

"For anyone interested, the basic principle I made when I created my spider walker is this:

The inner part of the legs spins like a wheel and at one end of it is a henge (near the body) that determines how far off of center the outer part swings. You'll notice in the video that one of the first things the spider does is raise every other leg. It's also lowering the other ones the same amount to set the gait. (Kind of like setting the tire size) If I didn't do that the inner part of the leg would spin while everything else would remain motionless. This was done by making 2 IR groups with half of the inner hinges in one and the other in the other... but in such a way that they are staggered... like even numbered left legs and odd numbered right legs in one and the rest in the other. Then set the controls for the two groups so that they are the same buttons but opposite. like (9,0) and (0,9). This way you lower half while raising the other half. At the body and at the knee(?) are servos that spin the whole assembly at the same rate and direction. This gives the outer leg the appearance of walking rather than spinning like a wheel.

The second part is to break the servos down by left side and right side in the IR controls. For example, I set the left side ones to go < when Q is pressed and > when E is pressed and then on the right side the opposite. > for Q and < for E. This way all the servos turn the same amount all of the time. You'll later want to set an action group to center all of your servos before you start walking forwards after turning or vise versa... otherwise your spider is going to do the dieing cockroach because the left and right will be off sync.

To add a layer of control, I added a second hinge between the outer servo and the outer half of the leg. This allows me to tilt the outer leg up and down. (in the video you'll see me use this when the spider dips down and then back up prior to setting the gait.) This helps out A LOT.

To move forward, I simply made an action group to spin all the servos forward at once.

I hope this helps folks out and that you have as much fun with it as I did."

Hello, KotDemopan here, to bring a ground breaking rover which takes racing to a new level!

Introducing, the Mach-1!(you'll never guess which game inspired me...)

And it features:

UXD9CSv.png

A sleek design which gives this vehicle a low part count of 33 and even makes both plane and rocket enthusiasts intrested!

ZWjQrUh.png

A wide wheelbase to maximize turning capabilities without allowing flipping!

AND FINALLY...

8bopGca.png

A rocket engine which allows this vehicle to go past the speed of 24 M/S!(though not advised to go above 25 percent throttle for more than a split second)

What are you waiting for? Get one(or recreate one) for absolutely FREE!

https://www./?gapsca08w38a1yw

While the landing gears(not landing legs) don't pop, the vehicle is doomed when it runs out of fuel, while these wheels allow it to drive even if the fuel runs out

And besides, its a replica craft. Can't get anywhere far from the original look

Edited by KotDemopan

So I'm looking for some rover help, I figured this would be the place to start. This is what I got, it's a smaller, heavily modified version of u/stetsonG's

oLMEbSg.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And sits in this plane. The "turbokat" from the show Swat Kats.

DqZJtYO.png

It's supposed to launch mid flight and hit the ground running. But this is what happens.

SelfreliantShadowyDorado.gif

thread

Obviously it doesn't work. I could use any help on strengthening the thing or allowing it to land safely(preferably without a chute). But I could also use help getting it to drive on the ground. It works for a short amount of time them flips over.

Here's the craft, any input you guys have would be awesome, you're the experts.

B9 is required, I took the cannons off though.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gxty4s

Edited by clown_baby

Obviously it doesn't work. I could use any help on strengthening the thing or allowing it to land safely(preferably without a chute). But I could also use help getting it to drive on the ground. It works for a short amount of time them flips over.

Cool idea. The angle at which it lands (tilted forward and sideways) will lead to a flip in any case. You could add some small gear bays, they are much stronger for handling an impact. Although if it starts toppling its probably done for

This is a nice little rover, the SciSolo.