Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

The Kolonist Mk2:

A light personal transport vehicle. I use it to ferry kerbals around KSC or large bases on Duna.

It could be used as a micro rover but it has not RTGs due to its minuscule size. It can be unmanned too, it has a core.

During the day:

http://s8.postimg.org/dxevwlzr9/screenshot4.png

Top view:

http://s13.postimg.org/ggwnalwuf/screenshot5.png

Night view (It has a light in the back for when a kerbal isn't in it):

http://s12.postimg.org/z1v5xydzx/screenshot6.png

That's absolutely adorable!

• 3 weeks later...

A new cirumnavigation rover I've been working on, called the "Hades Jet Rover"

HgY34bm.jpg

DSm8lzZ.jpg

Similar to my last circumnavigation rover, this one also features an extending monofoil for water crossings. This one has significantly more fuel than the last one (about 4x as much), and can reach speeds of 80+ m/s on water. Land speed limited to 60m/s due to tires.

Edited by Slam_Jones

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like an ordinary Mk2 SPP fuselage rover conversion with a robotic arm plugged on its head and a cargo bay tailgate, I know. And yeah, she'll double as a robotic crane (mostly on worlds with decent gravity; no thrusters of any sort on this baby). But that's not why I built her.

wLMNSGF.png

w2btElA.png

She's designed to be a support carrier rover and mobile home base for the Airborne Light Compact Explorer ("Alice"), a one-ton wanton one-kerbal electrical/Universal Storage fuel cell-powered VTOL. Even given the power requirements of the USI Exploration pack's ducted fans (at full throttle and Kerbin ASL, they'll outstrip the US fuel cell, but in normal operating regimes it's more than adequate), this hybrid setup gives the Alice a whopping 6 hours of endurance, as long as the h2 and o2 supplies last. But for when 6 hours isn't enough :D (or, for roleplay purposes, to provide the pilot both additional fuel supplies and a place to rest his head after every evolution, especially if the fuel cell's output or onboard h2/o2 is nerfed to balance against the fan's power consumption needs, or vice-versa), that's where this rover comes in.

Now all I have to do is come up with some sort of clever acronym for this craft. (And add a KAS winch somewhere, for on-the-ground refueling.)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

On the fore bulkhead of the cargo bay the rover carries its own fuel cell wedge to power the robot arm's magnet, plus h2 and 02 wedges (one each) to supply both it and the embarked Alice. Beneath where the Alice mounts (docks) to the rover are two Elektron water splitters to convert the generated water onboard the Alice or the rover back into h2 and o2. Two large solar panels are mounted on the arm. At full efficiency (and those panels are mounted to a pivoting, rotating robotic arm for a reason!), they're enough to keep the Elektrons ticking. She's got a crew capacity of 6 max (cut in half to 3 if roleplaying the extra seats as long-term supplies).

You can tell I can't trust myself with VTOL craft (Vertical Velocity helper mod active, plus Throttle Controlled Avionics in reserve), though considering the Alice's TWR, it's better and safer to use VV or TCA to fine-tune the rate of descent. And one other thing I've learned from making these craft: this is way too OP. Either that US fuel cell wedge pumps out a lot of power (the mod author did say though he based it off real-world values), or Roverdude's ducted fans and lo-fi's tracks use a lot less EC/sec for their thrust or drive output. I mean, 6 hours VTOL flight time? Not that I'm complaining.:P

• 4 weeks later...

My mega rover VTOL Minmus miner/refinery/rover which makes runs up to orbit to fill up a fuel depot

yBT2H6th.png

jMU12Zah.png

All-in-one and can run all 6 drills and the ISRU during the day:

aaX6DHZh.png

How I launched it:

R3vjt73h.png

TrSQ9WBh.png

• 2 months later...

You win KSP... My God... That was beautiful! :cool:

Neither my rover, nor my boat are that cool!!! Yours are all in ONE! Have my shock and awe in stereo! :0.0: :0.0:

Of course, you now answer some questions... Like yes, you can go faster than 45 m/s on those intakes.

Also, that jump was exquisite! I never take risks like that, cause I fear for all my Kerbal's lives! :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

"It's coming right for us!" **BANG**

I always have difficulty with these multi-wheel set-ups. Haven't tried them after the 1.0 release. Does the vessel strain and/or wheels break? Nice Tanker.

Late reply:

I have the chassis sufficiently bolted to the upper fuselage so no straining. Only wheel breakage I've had is from the typical wheel breaking things (excessive speed, underestimated terrain dropoffs, etc.)

P.S. What I did was build the 8-wheel trucks off structural plates, and then attach those to the tanker body.

Made for the future drifting contest.

http://imgur.com/a/JwRZz

Elwood Kerman: "It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say? Is it the new Jebmobile or what?"

Elwood Kerman: "It's a hundred and six miles to KSC, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing space helmets."

Jake Kerman: "Hit it."

"Use of unnecessary violence in apprehension of the Kerman Brothers . . . has been approved."

They'll never get caught. They're on a mission from God.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.