Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

8 hours ago, Urus28 said:

I like your idea of the dropper plane. But how do you control both car and plane ?

Plane ditches into the water or, cough cough, 'lands'

I play science mode, not career, so it's not important whether my ships are lost :P

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

Plane ditches into the water or, cough cough, 'lands'

I play science mode, not career, so it's not important whether my ships are lost :P

Ok, I am at the same level :D

I was hoping that some mode allows an autopilot while you're not in control.

• 2 weeks later...

My rovers have had an 'organic design' of late... Also I'm not sure if they're still rovers given that they both have over 3km/s on their argon engines. Turns out even the lowest tier of Near Future parts can do amazing things :D 

PLMDCrw.jpg
Tinlion, returning home from a tour of 4 of Saturn's moons. Immense public pressure won out and instead of ending his days on Iapetus, he now lives in a petting zoo.

Iaewr5Z.jpg
Eurover testing on the Moon, prior to deployment to Europa. Final version included an additional 4th seat.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually use Minmus as a refuelling base, for this purpose I have a large rover on the surface of the green mun : the fuel bus.

y4m6e-csSLOU1h6y2mC34lkvOuy98LaWPwRgJJqs

The fuel bus is actually made of two rovers, one for the mining operation and one for the fuel storage. Both are equipped with docking ports to become a large rover.

y4mvpdSbtNUechRZPwv9mRRXaRrvIlPu5oGE3vzL

My rovers on the surface of Minmus around the HR Giger base.

y4mlGamgbyrAdLsQs3H6aQKrKI7D3Alytxq7GTaF  y4m-7isK3r6Sn3TB6XCRP3ECTeWb3v5GOTnA2byd

The two parts of the fuel bus have been launched separately but with the same rocket design.

• 2 weeks later...

Designed for a race on Kerbin the design of this rover was finally too fragile to drive in the hills at 80m/s. The idea was to make a real Mad Max style rover.  Perhaps I will make more pictures in the desert with some Photoshop post treatment.

I hope you will like this big rover :D

y4mC6KDZINKKCE1jqs1Y1oHneETz4pZyJmCwMcCIy4m8DRft-5A8PYGnSymeMhDUcolpsc-XMqXr0pk2

y4mbxxF755Pxvmfaza1lbzj7f40CKOIuxkpuhUusy4mdoi_j2zpm_lO_akDBAA-fqEMzKvigXBqeW3Ql

y4mElyjohQgp3HSxOByw5SqtyGxBTpIvFsqBKJM0y4mV2sWmxRttySRgQlDTdRaIdReD9f46amwDurTN

• 2 months later...

Well, there was this early rescue rover, back before I got more precise with my landings. I also didn't realize I needed a control point pointed in the direction I wanted to travel, so controlling it was.... challenging. But the rescue was successful, for once. This is also one of my oldest screenshots on imgur.

t0nbHZj.png

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On 12/31/2017 at 5:55 AM, Urus28 said:

Designed for a race on Kerbin the design of this rover was finally too fragile to drive in the hills at 80m/s. The idea was to make a real Mad Max style rover.  Perhaps I will make more pictures in the desert with some Photoshop post treatment.

I hope you will like this big rover :D

y4mC6KDZINKKCE1jqs1Y1oHneETz4pZyJmCwMcCIy4m8DRft-5A8PYGnSymeMhDUcolpsc-XMqXr0pk2

y4mbxxF755Pxvmfaza1lbzj7f40CKOIuxkpuhUusy4mdoi_j2zpm_lO_akDBAA-fqEMzKvigXBqeW3Ql

y4mElyjohQgp3HSxOByw5SqtyGxBTpIvFsqBKJM0y4mV2sWmxRttySRgQlDTdRaIdReD9f46amwDurTN

Holy crap that reminds me of a car from one of my favorite childhood games - Speed Racer the Videogame! Do you have a download for it somewhere?

2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

Holy crap that reminds me of a car from one of my favorite childhood games - Speed Racer the Videogame! Do you have a download for it somewhere?

No, unfortunately I lost my save of this campaign, these pictures are the only thing remaining of this rover.

This is my new (and first) refueling rover for Duna. It might not be the most sophisticated or optimized design but it works. The great surprise is that the wheels (RoveMax XL3) seem to be a great choice. The KSP wiki and a couple of youtubers gave me an impression that they would be somehow lacking in quality. To me they seem to be very robust and capable of very high speed if I exploit the way they turn. By tapping A and D keys while wanting to go forwards this craft can easily achieve +60m/s speeds and thus outrun all the other rover wheels.

YWXvgtR.png

YWmZjmX.png

Edited by Ixamus

LRV mk.1 - smallest variant, created for early lunar missions, mass: 450 kg

jBBoY57.png

LRV mk.2 - larger variant, used on lunar and Mars missions,  mass: 1 300 kg

bVxPJEs.png

MOLAB- mobile laboratory and habitat, used on lunar missions and on a crewed mission to Ganymede. Powered by nuclear reactor. Mass: 39 000 kg.

C2GPtQr.png

• 4 weeks later...

y4mSTS7Bz47e1hN0S28Wzarh6cREqV-iOYoAThY6

y4mxGdUBhUHWswFmEKajCyG2hWtjAT01drUda1Vy

The munabug is the first rover sent on Mun. This exploration rover is large enough for 3 kerbals and can provide supply for 4 days, the battery storage is enough for a full Mun night.

The front fuselage hold a drone core for remote control.

• 2 weeks later...

yEUp0kp.jpg

This is an out-of-date version of my RIg Pig mobile base. The newer ones are a little better, but these ones have the distinct advantage of already being deployed and having had some fancy screenshots taken of them. The top one's from 1.3.1 back when all the visual mods still worked. Due to poor planning, the one on Laythe along with that ssto are currently responsible for all refueling in the Jool system.

iNTcNUd.jpg

tq560vz.jpg

3 hours ago, Urus28 said:

Nice design, the next step is a system to re-attach the rover to the plane part :cool: Without going to a carbo bay solution of course...

Nice idea, docking ports should do it I guess.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, Triop said:

Nice idea, docking ports should do it I guess.

Building on that, I'd like to recommend either using the Picoport mod or using side-by-side ports to make sure the rover is perfectly aligned with the plane.

Edited by Fireheart318
Just some grammar and clarity things

sA8WSXl.jpg

What you are looking at is what I call the Landship, a large mobile base, being deployed by a reusable cargo lander. This is a sort of test run for hardware i've already sent out to Jool but has yet to arrive, thankfully it all worked out. Next that lander will bring down a module of 12 empty large ore tanks and that big rover will dock to the side of it to fill it up, the lander should be able to easily return to orbit with that much ore from the Mun.

The landship is slightly cooler than the last big rover I posted here because it makes use of the tank steering bug to reach ludicrous speed under just electric power. The fact that it has the giant wheels and is made out of mk3 parts means it can ususally even survive traveling at those speeds. It's also better at VTOL and it's bigger, too, the only downside is just one drill.

Landship
Cargo Lander

Edited by Zacspace
Album was broken, just did a single picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.