Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

Gents, I bring you Hovertrack. 100% stock.

3RvSR

3RvXi

3Rw35

3RvYJ

Carries two pilots, four passengers in the back (six before I realized how much space Kerbals take up.). Moves at a roughly average speed for vehicles of this style, about 15 to 20 m/s.

Does it perhaps hover over water?

3RxoT.jpg

I tested this out, just for you. Since parts of the side skirting seem to be under water, the answer is a cautious "no".

while it touches the water, the fact that like half of it isn't submerged, I would consider it successful!

Carries two pilots, four passengers in the back (six before I realized how much space Kerbals take up.). Moves at a roughly average speed for vehicles of this style, about 15 to 20 m/s.

Wat.

Please, please share the craft for that.

Also, reminded me of:

Rumble2.jpg

Now all we need is a Jackie Kerman to waterskii behind it...

-IMGSNIP-

How does that work?

This should shed some light on what goes on inside of it:

3RD4p.jpg

I can't take credit for finding the glitch, but it's easy enough to replicate. You just need to clip something thin through the wheel below the axle.

It even works with the tiny rover wheels, as seen here:

3RCYk

This should shed some light on what goes on inside of it:

3RD4p.jpg

I can't take credit for finding the glitch, but it's easy enough to replicate. You just need to clip something thin through the wheel below the axle.

It even works with the tiny rover wheels, as seen here:

3RCYk

Oh, I think I understand... the game isn't visually rendering a seemingly invisible part (the CoM of the wheels is out of sight when the covers are on), so the vehicle seems to "hover" - meanwhile, the bug (feature? Intentional choice?) that prevents an object from colliding with itself prevents the whole thing from tearing itself apart... fascinating...

XbTUx66.jpg

yHugR7a.jpg

2damQhA.jpg

I've been working on a series of fun to drive rovers that are capable of operating in a variety of conditions. They are versatile and fun to drive. You can

grab the .craft files. I also posted a diary on reddit involving driving one of these rovers as part of the K2 mountain challenge.

- PX2-A ' Microwave' RTG powered rover [sTOCK]

- PX2-B ' Sunspear' Solar powered rover [sTOCK]

- PX2-C ' Driller' RTG powered rover and mobile Kethane Miner [KETHANE]

Each Rover features a:

- Wide wheel base

- Low, stable, center of gravity at all fuel levels

- Cockpit for IVA driving

- Top and rear docking ports aligned with the other components of my Mun base system.

- Stable at 20-30m/s with top speeds of around 60m/s (the breaking point of the wheels)

Operating instructions:

- Stage and then immediately shutdown all engines (space then action group 9)

- Disable rear steering (action group 1)

- Throttle up to 100%

- Toggle engines on/off using action groups as needed (see below).

- I would also highly suggest remapping the rover keys or at least driving in docking mode (I use numpad 8-4-5-6)

1. Action Group 1: Locks rear steering

2. Action Group 2: Toggles the 4 top PB ion engines

3. Action Group 3: Toggles the 4 top LV-1R ion engines

4. Action Group 4: Toggles rear facing Rockomax 24-77 engine

4. Action Group 5: Toggles the 2 rear PB ion engines

6. Action Group 6: Toggles front facing Rockomax 24-77 engine

7. Action Group 7: Toggles down facing Rockomax 24-77 engine

8. Action Group 8: Activates rear emergency brakes

9. Action Group 9: Shuts down all engines

10. Action Group 0: Deploys solar panels or kethane drills

In general you can just keep the top ion engines on all the time (action group 2). If you run the rear ions as well (all 6 ion engines at full power) you'll drain the batteries after about 6 minutes. If you need more downthrust to prevent tipping in low gravity use the top LV-1R engines (action group 3). At full power you can run the top LV-1Rs for over 12 minutes, so they wont run down quickly. I suggest using them only when turning at high speed. In general you can keep SAS and RCS on, they will help keep your alignment in low gravity. Use the rockomax 24-77s sparingly for braking or emergency control or speedruns :)

Let me know what you think!

Edited by boojabanana

2ood.png

Pioneer-1 with recently landed Conqueror-1 in background. It weighs 4 tons and has a max speed of 22m/s, designed to climb mountains and travel long distances.

p9b5.png

Glorious Conqueror-1, weighing in at a mighty 75 tons (with full load of fuel) and a max speed of 15m/s. It is also perfectly stable, has excellent traction and can even rapidly turn in place at a minimum speed of 0.1m/s. It is designed to be a fuel tanker, the landing struts are used to adjust elevation if need be and double as a break when on a sloped hill.

Here is my Planetary Vacation Vehicle. It was designed to take 25 lucky kerbals, along with 8 crew on extra-planetary vacation/cruises. It is mostly airtight sand safe. It even lights up!

3yF1u.jpg

Four Kerbals even get balcony rooms to enjoy the views of whatever moon/planet they are on!

It has a top speed (in a straight line) of 100M/s.... But I don't recommend it as it likes to turn a little, then fly through the air and disintegrate.

3A2Vb.png

Here is the landing/takeoff system for carrying the PVV in between moons/to other planets.

Bonus: It can be transformed into a research base by simply changing the name!

Well planet Kerbin in the Sigma XXVIII Galaxy has progressed rather backwards to some other civiliztions. Robert G. Kerman and Werner Von Kerman were born long before Wilbur and Orville Kerman. Adding to that the recent discovery of an element with an atomic weight of 0.21 has made stable aerodynamic (keyboard controlled) flight practical with its use in the newly modified ASAS modules. This has lead up to the development of a complex jet aircraft construction and testing operation. This leads me to why I'm posting here. My engineers have developed this latest contraption for exploring remote locations on Kerbin.

screenshot187.png

The nose detaches to form a fully functional rover that can be re-docked with the ship for the return trip.

screenshot191.png

screenshot194.png

Vrrroom 2A-DSC: A heavy, reinforced rover that can hold 7(1 IVA/6 EVA).

-multiple snips-

Vrrroom 1A-B: An older and lighter design that proved to fragile for "taking it on any sweet jumps"

-final snip-

Download for first one plox.

Edited by Sesni
Derped

So I wanted to make a modular rover where you could just click the modules together that you wanted and go. But I also wanted a rover where it could do something more than just gather data. So I went about making a durable rover capable of handling large loads for the most flexibility in the modules. It of course had to be as light as possible so i could actually get it to where I wanted to go, and I soon found out it also had to be balanced so that it wouldn't roll the craft while landing.

The result?

Modular%20Rover.jpg

And from above:

Modular%20Rover%20Top.jpg

It comes with 1610 Power, 800 xenon, a headlight, 2 solar panels and 2 1x6 deployable panels and weighs in at only 2 tons but:

Modular%20Rover%20Heavy.jpg

Yep it can handle turning 90 degrees while moving 36 tons down the launch ramp and up the 2 steep rail ramps without blowing any of it's 4 light duty buggy wheels because of the way it was designed. The trick is that there are node joints where flexibility is needed and welds where strong joints count the most. Making for a very robust vehicle.

Here is a pic showing the rover being balanced while using the light lander modules on the sides:

Modular%20Rover%20Balanced.jpg

I have not counted the modules yet but i think there might be 30-40 so far. Here is a pic of them all:

Modular%20Rover%20Modules.jpg

And from another angle:

Modular%20Rover%20Modules2.jpg

The modules just snap on the rover. I've also created 4 engines that are capable of multiple speeds for the rovers, You just pop them on and go, Here is one rover configured for speed and uses all 4 of them:

Modular%20Rover%20Speed.jpg

To show what the rover can do I set out for a small-ish base expedition about 45km or so SW of the launchpad. Here is a pic of the modules used:

Modular%20Rover%20Base%20Excursion.jpg

Almost There! Note that I raised the crane a bit because I was afraid of it knocking off some of the deployable solar panels. Also one of the quick save/loads thought it would be cool if it rose the back wheels off the ground for some reason...

Modular%20Rover%20Almost%20There.jpg

Finally, at the beach at last, And the base is set up and all panels deployed:

Modular%20Rover%20Deployed.jpg

Also notice that this pic is showing off the cranes ability to drop it's attachment and be used to dock to other craft to transfer resources or to just maneuver modules precisely.

The best part about the modules is that they can be airlifted in and used. Here is my solar cargoplane dropping around 4 tons of fuel:

Solar%20Air%20Drop.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures, but I wanted to see if any people would be interested in this. I am currently converting all the modules to use the subassembly manager plugin and testing some of the modules. But it's proving to be quite the time consumer. It's also not immune to the docking port bug, and it relies on those docking ports pretty heavily. There is also the problem of mods, The rover it'self is stock, but some of the modules require infernal robotics, DROMOMAN, and subassembly manager.

So if there is any demand for this rover, then let me know, I can release it as is if you guys want, or you can wait for me to clean it up a bit before release.

Update: Released!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/46607-Modular-Rover-With-130-pre-made-modules-and-optional-Kethane-support

Edited by ouch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.