Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

So this is my surface workhorse.

Different configurations and rather a pain to actually land, but after it is down on all six wheels, it is pretty versatile.

Also, I am rather fond of my solution to the "vertical to horizontal" problem.

So, this is what it looks like when it just hit the ground. Rather delicate in that position. Only three legs...

screenshot23.png

Then throttle up, and just when the legs want to leave the ground, decouple. The skycrane then goes and hopefully crashes somewhere with no neighbors.

screenshot26.png

Then retract the single landing leg on the belly and it flips to the side. Retract the four horizontal legs.

screenshot27.png

Extend the solar panels and wait for the sun to come out of the eclipse...

screenshot29.png

Currently, I am working on some versions of this "Bully" to assemble my moonbase (I am lousy at moving across ground with the rocket engines).

(I did use MechJeb for that one, but landed a few before this one without the autopilot.)

Nice!

My solution for the Vertical to Horizontal problem was a little different.

Note that this is a pre-0.19 cart mod vehicle.

I come down vertically:

UTRHSsm.jpg

Drop the orange tank, then rotate to horizontal and fire the small thrusters:

Se82le5.jpg

Then, the empty top tanks can be fired of, lowering the centre of gravity for a more stable driving vehicle.:

SndfcGz.jpg

The bottom tanks will be fired of during accent, returning the centre of gravity to the centre of the vehicle, to make it stable for the rendezvous with the return module.

The same lander was used on Moho, but struggled to land with the side thrusters in all my "simulations". So I did a more traditional, simple landing with the poodle on the back. Then I rotated to horizontal just before hitting the ground. I only lost one RTG on a rover-probe in the impact.

Wow! Some really awesome designs here. Great inspiration.

My latest Go-Cart design attaches nose down, wheels out, on the mini docking ports seen here on my Personnel Transport.

It's best to save before releasing the go-carts in case they don't tip over onto their wheels.

Lowering and raising landing legs can help to nudge them over. You can also just try ramming into them with a Kerbalnaut. :D

MxutWs0h.png

Popping wheelies is easy on Minimus.

z8HZIgWh.png

Edited by Landge

This is a rover design I've been using for building a base on Minmus. It's a bit clumsy to drive, since there's so little traction on Minmus' surface because of the low gravity, and since the design is top-heavy.

mP8wpFp.png

The rovers are designed to be dockable to build the base, named Jebediah Kerman Memorial Station, after my first Kerbal to die on Minmus. Its current population is 5 (it was 6, until Neilbree Kerman died in an unfortunate accident while jetpacking off a mountain).

DlZLsVK.jpg

I think this counts as a rover...

Its purpose is to launch things from mun or other smaller body into space. A gentle push, to help achieve orbit. It can also be used to clear areas from debris.

Heh, man, you've build a cannon :D

Introducing my MMRC (Mobile Mining and Refueling Complex).

screenshot58mv.png

Basically it's made of 3 modules built on the same plan.

107 tons once assembled.

The Tank (launched empty) with Jerfel on controls, just after landing, the skycrane is still attached.

screenshot39mq.png

The Mining Truck, piloted by Dilsey, with 12 drills, a small tank of Kethane and the heavy converter.

screenshot59d.png

The Generator, Mungan in the command pod, with 16 nuclear generators (actually, they are just stock part resized by me, weigh 8 times (0.64 tons) than the stock one, but are 8 times more efficient (6 units of electricity per second)).

screenshot60k.png

The minig staff, obviously happy to be here in one piece

screenshot52l.png

Thanks for all the Kerbals that have died for such an experience (mainly during the skycranes's tests on Kerbal, this was horrible), your disappearance will not be forget, and, thanks to you, a huge step have been made in the colonisation of the Mün !

Edited by Akalaël

So I made this thing:

I call it the DERP: Duna Exploration Rover Program. It's built to go fast and be durable. It can right itself if it flips over

nice this is my D.E.R.P duna exploratory rover probe. It flipped forward as soon as it landed(worked fine on kerbin)

2LbTr5y.png?1

stratosmk2 series rover (mk2 in honour of d.e.r.p)

GT6TQMb.png?1

Edited by Spartwo

Ok it's about time I post my rover fleet, here it is:

fir6wPv.jpg

From the left:

MaRo MK3, version for non-atmospheric bodies, used for quickly travelling from point to point,

HeMuRo - heavy multi-purpose rover, packed with wide range of scientific equipment, 2 cams for sending back 3D images and experimental tractor beam,

Rovee - minimalistic rover for exploring possible landing sites, scientific instruments are located on lander, as this rover is used for first-time landings to get some info about landed body,

MaRo MK3, version for atmospheric bodies, also used for quick travelling, it's a beast, it can make 60 m/s real quick.

Currently all of them were successfully tested on Kerbin and are waiting for their first missions, starting with Rovee's (and mine too) first munar landing.

Also, the MaRo series are based on "KSC2 Reacher" which I was using in "Drive to KSC2" challenge (was lost during the forumgedon) and contains few really good improvements like the docking port suspension and the aerodynamic down-force on the atmospheric version.

My clone of the Mars Pathfinder mission, TrailSpotter. Doing some testing on the Mun because I can't be arsed to send it to Duna currently.

3mJPWQH.jpg

DSJKnIO.jpg

cIPek1V.jpg

I think I got the Sojourner rover down pretty well, but the Pathfinder lander itself is pretty far off. I'd need to faff about with Damned Robotics to get that to work like the real life unfolding one. This one just has the front decouple and fly off with sepratrons. It did bounce a fair distance using the airbags. It hit the ground at about 30m/s, using the cruise stage to decelerate in lieu of an atmosphere to use the parachutes on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.