Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

My amphibious long range miner, 100% stock except for the painted ones. Almost home from circumnavigating Kerbin. It's got an ISRU, drill and ore tank, 5 kerbals, two jet engines. Safe cornering speed on level terrain: 35 m/s. Max top speed on level terrain: 59 m/s.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My long range miner built for all other moons and planets except Laythe, just completed his first Elcano mission on Minmus as a warming up. This one doesn't have jets but rocket engines and a lot of reaction wheels for safety on low gravity worlds.

These vehicles can drive safely with 5 of the 7 wheels on one side broken!

And here's a classic. Only mod used: Kerbpaint so you can open it in vanilla KSP and it will be like a zebra.

You guys make stuff way prettier, but after starting a 1.0.4 career mode game and finding myself short on science and having run the launch pad and runway dry of science - and also not having access to any of the good parts for a rover, I had to get creative and work with what I had.

This works on Kerbin only, mind, but it's actually kinda fun to drive. You need to have unlocked: Basic Rocketry, Engineering 101, Stability, Aviation, and that's it.

Parts List:

• 2 LY-01 Fixed landing gear
  • 1 LY05 Steerable Landing Gear (under the nose)
  • 1 Mk1 Cockpit
  • 1 SC-9001 Science Jr.
  • 2 FL-T200 Fuel Tanks (Oxidizer removed)
  • 1 XM-G50 Radial Air Intake
  • 1 J33 "Wheesley" Basic Jet Engine
  • Comms gear, batteries, and additional experiments like goo are optional. If you attach experiments, place them symmetrically on the lower half of the fuselage unless you're good at tightrope walking.

Use is as follows: crank the engine's max output down to like, 20% and keep the throttle low. Load a scientist and then using short bursts of engine power, coast along at 20-30m/sec until you arrive at the biome you prefer. There's several around KSC but those feel like cheating to me, so I use this to go to the highlands, grasslands, and shores and back. (Careful near the shores....)

EVA whenever you need to reset experiments and store data in the cockpit. I haven't unlocked solar panels yet but they're planned for version 2.

0tilofs.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
[B]44 Class - Generation 6 : 4427[/B]
The most beautiful of bulldog locomotives ive built so far.. as much as I loved the 40 class.. the lands of kerbin are made to be plyed by a 44 class diesel where the lands ahead are clear in view.. every drop and section of harsh terrain viewed way before its reached, planned for and conquered with power and grace

the sound of her newly upgraded EMD Hybrid engine screaming and growling at full throttle.. yet singing gently at idle like a content songbird in the morning sunrise all brings her closer to living upto the legend of her sister train 4408 so long ago..

equipt with monoprop nose mounted heading keeping thrusters that draw off the main generator.. diesel electric transmission with monoprop alternator.. roof mounted traction assist and stable lateral drag wheelset.. able to negotiate KSCs taxiways too thanks to the custom 45 degree steering at 10m/s that tapers off safely once speed gains outside of the yard

Top speed 36m/s with 500 units of torque on demand

Her first real mainline mission will be to rescue fallen sister train 40 class 4016 from Bombo impact crater oasis 80km from KSC

if thats not enough.. she has a horn loud enough to wake the dead.. torque and power to pull over 8 fully loaded fuel tankers and a presence that no other locomotive has had since the start of KTP Overland train operations in 2013.. Truly the product of real time years of trial and error... deaths of hundreds of kerbals and many truely wonderful challenging yet enjoyable driving hours from her brethren

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/agt9u1n.png[/IMG] Edited by Overland

Shes a beautiful girl spacetraindriver :)
Ever thought about duplicating some parts and modding them for joint strenth, weight and giving them a paint? With some slight custom mods theres no reason why she wouldnt be able to be an active loco on the roster.. Needs a whistle too.. Id love to see her in action.. Care to put the part file on kerbalx? Ill see what can be done.. Ill be uploading the parts soon since squad did mention old stock parts are permissable to mod and upload in packs

• 2 months later...

For those interested:

I'm developing a rover checklist for the WerherChecker mod.  I'm very interested in hearing what you would consider to be necessary for a rover.

To start this discussion off, here is what I'm starting with:

1. Control Source (ie: command module)
  2. Wheels
  3. Lights
  4. Power Source
  5. Electricity storage
  6. Communication
  7. Science

I look forward to your ideas and suggestions.

This is a rather basic larg-ish science rover, but this design, an evolved version of a previous model, is going to be my workhorse go-everywhere rover.  I made a bunch of variants of the base model, differing in docking port type, number and placement.  They all have two Spark engines and enough dV and TWR to function as an SSTO lander on smaller moons, or land themselves on some larger ones.  I also made a version for Eve, with 2 Aerospikes and chutes.

Tweakscaled the ruggedized wheels to 200% size for extra strength, power and speed.

Base model:

9MydTDM.png

8LLM7RU.png

YMimleI.png

A variant on Laythe (HyperEdit test of a lander that carried it there):

s7ub7wp.png

The Eve version on another test:

vbNxjTo.png

Working on a rover to move Kolonisation base modules form their landing sight to their assembly point, after several iterations of the Kolonisation Relocation and Assembly Pickup I'm getting towards something that works, but I'm really struggling with building a basic rigid chassis.  Do many people use Tweakscale and Weld for rovers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:28 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

For those interested:

I'm developing a rover checklist for the WerherChecker mod.  I'm very interested in hearing what you would consider to be necessary for a rover.

To start this discussion off, here is what I'm starting with:

1. Control Source (ie: command module)
  2. Wheels
  3. Lights
  4. Power Source
  5. Electricity storage
  6. Communication
  7. Science

I look forward to your ideas and suggestions. [2]

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, hellblazer said:

Definitely a WIP. Will be sending something similar to Mars hopefully this week. [1]

[1]You call that a rover? heh yeah right

[2]Science, check. Wheels, check. Everything, check. SCIENCE, CHECK!

pics:

GRAVITY STAUS

anything higher or equal to the Mun

anything lower than Jool

LAUNCH VEHICAL

the file got croupt

Sooooo what do you think?

Jet Jaguar

This is a simple rover/car that I put together just to have some fun and go fast! The basic car is pretty fast all on it’s own. Capable of getting over 20 MPS. But activate the jet booster and this car can get up to 60 MPS! Able to gain some serious air over hills and other things it can jump. It’s also VERY stable, with a low center of weight, and with the SAS on, it will maintain angle so it can land properly on it’s wheels after long jumps, as you can see in the pics. It can even recover from a dunking in water and make it’s way back to land (slowly) with the jet.

Oh - the name? Just a little joke of mine. I wanted a name for a fast car, and thought of the Jaguar series from England.

Then I realized I’d made a Jet… Jaguar. After that, I couldn’t resist… I'm terribly sorry about that...* Heh. :D 

(Link to Kerbal X Download page)
(*isn't sorry at all. Not one bit.)

Maxqisx.png

Some kind of mobile base, it has a lot of issues on eve, like the little scout ship not being able to re-dock with the main rover, due to the tiny worthless engines not being able to lift it, or fly around at all for that matter! I'd call it a work-in-progress, but I really don't want to go through the hell that was launching this thing again, and especially not building a landing system for non atmospheric worlds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.