An open letter to Squad

MacMan131

I've seen a lot of questions about development. Just to let you know, Alex and N3X15 have been hard at work on the servers to get everything recovered and back up. They worked through the weekend solid, and well into the midnight hours to try and get things up as fast as possible. Both Skunky and Damion have been hard at work resetting permissions and getting the forums operational again.

As for the rest of us, we've been working on 0.20 solid the entire time. Admittedly the forum issue has been a bit distracting. But, we're already well into the 0.2 update cycle. Most of what I'm working on right now, isn't terribly exciting. It's mostly optimization and debugging work. That said, once the forums are sorted out I'll try and post more development information in my dev blogs. I just need to get my forum account sorted back out first.

I would point out very immediate examples with some of the mods and community managers, but I don't want to set off any itchy ban triggers this place is known for.

So you don't have any evidence then?

That's what I thought.

So you don't have any evidence then?

That's what I thought.

I have plenty but as i just said the staff here is very easily offended and will most likely not like my digging up dirt on them. I'm sorry but that's all I can say.

I've seen a lot of questions about development. Just to let you know, Alex and N3X15 have been hard at work on the servers to get everything recovered and back up. They worked through the weekend solid, and well into the midnight hours to try and get things up as fast as possible. Both Skunky and Damion have been hard at work resetting permissions and getting the forums operational again.

As for the rest of us, we've been working on 0.20 solid the entire time. Admittedly the forum issue has been a bit distracting. But, we're already well into the 0.2 update cycle. Most of what I'm working on right now, isn't terribly exciting. It's mostly optimization and debugging work. That said, once the forums are sorted out I'll try and post more development information in my dev blogs. I just need to get my forum account sorted back out first.

Jeez, THANK you for addressing all this. This is the reaction I'm looking for, thank you thank you thank you. I feel a lot better already.

Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

As always, claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence, and for someone who has some very big claims, you lack evidence, or at least the gal to post it.

Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

As always, claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence, and for someone who has some very big claims, you lack evidence, or at least the gal to post it.

Alright, you won the argument. Your e-peen has gained 3 inches because I can't back up my claims without risking a ban.

Yes but in this situation what practicality is there to it? Like you said they're a small company, their game has zero competition, what is there that warrants this?

The only reason I can think of is that they're doing something behind our backs or cutting planned features.

Don't forget to install a tinfoil hat mod.. sounds like you're in need of one =>

as this thread seems to have been answered, to stop further derailment and or arguments about things that can't be proven one way or another I'm closing this..

Edited by sjwt

You aren't wary, you're downright paranoid.

Have you considered toning it down a bit? Wanton paranoia never looks good.

I'm not trying to look good, I'm trying to point out the very real issues here, alright?

Issues you have yet to provide any evidence for.
The issues are the lack of quality control in the community, the intrusive nature of the PR, and the veil of secrecy (which has just been slightly lifted I'll admit that).

If you can't see the other two though I think that's a bit silly.

Uhm, I'm the customer, I'm the one feeding them. If I paid for this game, and have been promised this this and this, and suddenly the dev turns around and rather passive-aggressively says too bad so sad we have your money now, that's okay? What Markus Persson did is okay in your mind?

Wow. I can't belive you! I'm just guessing now but you where really hurt when Squad called out the future expansion plans right? Like... You had bougt this game you like in Early alpha stage development. And now Squad are saying

"We like this game and you guys in the commity so much that when we are done with this game. We would like to add the rest of the crazy things the community have wanted us to do because we want to"

"Maybe, since you have not paid that much for this game. This could be a paid expansion?"

Then all hell breaks loose!

People calling them all kinds of names.

WTF is wrong with you... They work their ass of for 2 YEARS building this amazing game. You give them 18 $ And you call that FEEDING THEM! I'm sorry for my bad grammar but i'm really pissed. If there is a game worth supporting it's KSP

Bahh

Wow. I can't belive you! I'm just guessing now but you where really hurt when Squad called out the future expansion plans right? Like... You had bougt this game you like in Early alpha stage development. And now Squad are saying

"We like this game and you guys in the commity so much that when we are done with this game. We would like to add the rest of the crazy things the community have wanted us to do because we want to"

"Maybe, since you have not paid that much for this game. This could be a paid expansion?"

Then all hell breaks loose!

People calling them all kinds of names.

WTF is wrong with you... They work their ass of for 2 YEARS building this amazing game. You give them 18 $ And you call that FEEDING THEM! I'm sorry for my bad grammar but i'm really pissed. If there is a game worth supporting it's KSP

Bahh

Cool freaking assumptions bro.

First off I like the idea of expansion packs, but in recent years DLC has been "cut content from the main game and sell it as that for an extra buck", so people understandably freaked out. If the KSP dev team (NOT SQUAD, stop giving them credit for development) finishes all the planned features and decides to make an expansion pack for extra solar stuff or astrobiology mechanics, i'm all for it. But it'd have to be done well, and AFTER everything they've said they planned in implemented.

Second off you need to drop the hero worship syndrome. Yes KSP is great, I love the game (which is why I'm so worried about all this) but that's how business works. If the guy peddling his product cannot meet proper standards or screws over his customers, that;'s a loss of business and a loss of money (which people use to buy food, by the way.) This is how capitalism works, and no matter how much you like a company or their products you have to recognize when they start making bad choices. They are not giving you the privilege to play their game, you are offering your money in exchange for a product they have promised will consistently be of high quality, and if they fail to live up to that you have every right to complain.

Keep an eye out for Damion's weekly updates on Tuesday, but I think everyone can understand that Squad have a lot to deal with right now :)

I really wish we had an update today, especially since there was none this Tuesday due to the server outage... I'm sure he'll make it up to us next week, though!

I really wish we had an update today, especially since there was none this Tuesday due to the server outage... I'm sure he'll make it up to us next week, though!
Honestly I'd rather have the devs themselves be saying what's happening because last stream they spent half an hour rambling about anything but the game. Not to mention the DLC fiasco...

I agree 100%! No livestream, and no post on kerbalspaceprogram.com. And now that the forum is back there is no weekly update not that he would put too much work into those anyway. Would be interesting to know if the devs were still able to code for the game or if they were all working on the forums. I thought the community manager would be employed and payed by squad to inform us... sad kerbal :(

Still it's nice that the forum is back, eventhough a ton of content is forever gone... along with it more that 300 of my posts and a thread I worked on for three weeks that can't even be restored via google cache. I think I won't be spending too much time here in the future, at least not activly.

I give you the information I have, when I have it. :) -DR