Can't enter hyperbolic trajectory

I just found out about the fact that you can get some extra delta V for an escape trajectory if you bank over like you would if you were trying to orbit, and I thought I'd try it with my fastest rocket yet. No matter what I do though, regardless of what SAS I use or don't use, or how many Yawmaster modules I have, the rocket refuses to bank past 30 degrees from vertical. It banks ok, albeit slowly up until then, and then just decides to bank violently back the other way, despite me doing everything I can think of to stop it.

My launches work like so:

1) Launch, dropping SRB's when they empty.

2) Continue vertically to around 10Km (I've tried this everywhere from 10Km to 40Km, same problem regardless of altitude)

3) Bank towards the east, as though I was preparing to orbit.

4) Quit and relaunch because I've lost control.

On a completely vertical launch, the rocket is perfectly stable, and reaches around 15.5Km/s at burnout, around 3000Km up.

I've included the rocket, which uses Nova Silisko's and Sunday Punches packs in this post.

Yeah it doesn't even get to 30 degrees as you have it in the craft file.

Thats just a lot of dang mass (and thus inertia) to try and move, and while you might think having the torque way out in the end would act like a lever, the center of gravity is dropping lower.. and nothing can move it. I bet it just gets worse the more fuel you use.

Your best bet would probably be finding a way to get some SAS modules down on the lower end - perhaps an edited one that allows fuel passthrough and put them near that center main engine?

• 11 months later...

Using only an ASAS, Solid Rocket Boosters and the old MK1 Pod, I've managed to get into an escape trajectory. You have to get a high orbit, and burn horizontally at the periapsis in order to raise your apoapsis high enough to escape into solar orbit. All parts that I used to do it were stock.

Don't bank over too fast, what you really want to do is fly the first 10km at about 10 degrees away from vertical, and then turn over to aim along your direct vector (prograde) for the rest of your burn