(0.23) Wayland Corp. Development and released download Thread (new parts)

Devo

What classic ship would you like to fly next? these are in production...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What classic ship would you like to fly next? these are in production...

• Biodomes from "Silent Running" w/animated doors and delivery system
    • ALIENS Marine Dropship (fully animated]
    • ALIENS APC Transport
    • ALIENS: The Sulaco
    • Star Wars - YT-1300 Milennium Falcon, Low poly, fully animated (landing ramp, cargo bay etc)
    • Star Wars - Boba Fett SLAVE1 (fully animated)
    • Star Wars - Rebel B-Wing fighter.
    • Star Wars - Original X-Wing.

When Gearbox was making Aliens: Colonial Marines, they hired Syd Mead to do the interiors of the Sulaco and some other stuff, but then the designs were changed when the game changed development companies. So even though "an" interior for the Sulaco was seen (Bridge, engine room etc.) I don't hold it as... valid? cannon? Cause it wasn't designed by the same guy, and was obviously meant as a game "level".

I would love to get either Galactica in game, but I agree about the scale... the landing pods would have to be big enough to take a Dropship (about the same size as a colonial shuttle) which would make the whole ship longer than the games loading distance... :0.0: LOL

The Pelican from Halo actually would be easier to get to fly as the thruster placement is a lot more logical, though since it was obviously meant to be a "modern" version of the very dropship we are working on, that should not be a surprise. But it has it's own problems too, the main engines are placed to high in the tail section, it would Vtol very nicely, but nose dive like a brick in space, or horizontal flight... SciFi ships look cool, but most were made for looks, not science. With some notable exceptions of course... like the Eagle :cool: And the ships from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Can't believe no one has made a flyable model of any of those either! Yeah I know the Deep Space Pack has a round command pod... but it's just not the same... :D

The Pelican from Halo actually would be easier to get to fly as the thruster placement is a lot more logical, though since it was obviously meant to be a "modern" version of the very dropship we are working on, that should not be a surprise. But it has it's own problems too, the main engines are placed to high in the tail section, it would Vtol very nicely, but nose dive like a brick in space, or horizontal flight...

Actually, fun fact about the Pelican: It has another set of engines (Two pairs, I believe) set on its stubby front wings that are angled towards the ground. As the whole front wing rotates, I'd imagine that these function as both stabilizers in horizontal flight as well as maneuvering thrusters so that the Pelican doesn't have to rely on aerodynamics to make quick turns.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how that might work with KSP as I'm pretty sure the back and front engines are on different throttles. If you do try to make it, good luck balancing it without more advanced flight mechanics, devo.

If you do, I certainly wouldn't mind something for it to drop off as well!

@Andellmere you're right

There are vertical thrusters on all the engine pods both front and back. Two on each rotatable front wings, and one on each of the rear engine pods, which by the way, also move.

20090703225415!Pelican_on_Harvest.jpg

Pelican%20(1).png

Halo-3-The-Storm-16-D77H-TCI-Pelican-Dropship.jpg

The design changed slightly with the Pelican in H4

H4-PelicanGunship.png

With the addition of angled thrusters on the ventral fuselage

H4-D79TC-PelicanDropship-Back.jpg

Though to be honest I think the H4 Pelican looks and handles like a space whale. Not that they were ever fast in the flyable ones in Halo: Custom Edition on Coldsnap or Huge[rear].

*sigh* I miss the version from H3. It was pretty. H3's D77H-TCI_Pelican vs the D79-TC Pelican from H4

Yes, I am that much of a sci-fi dork to know the difference between the various models and then take the time to look them up.

@shadowsutekh

Don't feel bad. I used to be able to the same, but stopped learning them when I referred to the Warthog as it's proper name(Which I have long since forgotten) and got blank stares back.

On the other hand, I wasn't even aware the design had changed. At all. But then I spent too much time going "Why won't you let me fly one, Bungie?! WHY!?!?!?" And then we got a sequence where we could and I was so happy that I didn't care what it looked like.

Also, I always put any difficulties down to not knowing what I was doing. After I got the hang of it... Well, it was a bad day to be in the air. For everybody but me, that is.

I don't really care about which Pelican we get (Though H3's looks like it'd be more manageable) but if devo does do a Covenant ship, I really want it to be the Spirit from Halo: Combat Evolved

Devo, I doubt you would remember (No hard feelings if you don't), but I spoke with you several months ago about an interest in modding and possibly modeling. I do not have any experience in it, but it is something I have thought about for ages, and this seems like a good enough time as any to try to get into it. I'll look into some of those tutorials you mentioned and see what I can get into. I've always been impressed by your projects, so once I get to the point that I feel comfortable showing something off, I'll try to get in touch with you and see about assisting in some way.

Off-topic, keep up the great work!

Devo, I doubt you would remember (No hard feelings if you don't), but I spoke with you several months ago about an interest in modding and possibly modeling. I do not have any experience in it, but it is something I have thought about for ages, and this seems like a good enough time as any to try to get into it. I'll look into some of those tutorials you mentioned and see what I can get into. I've always been impressed by your projects, so once I get to the point that I feel comfortable showing something off, I'll try to get in touch with you and see about assisting in some way.

Off-topic, keep up the great work!

Sure, ill send you a PM

Just to give you guys a little teaser - here's some more images of the Dropship in flight.

fW1YKhz.jpg

o6iIyDi.jpg

I want to make a note here about these next couple of images - I have no engines on here, just the RCS helping keep the nose up, and it just FLOATS steady as you please. My rate of descent is less than 5 M/S. That's almost TOO good. And it's carrying a DEMV Mk 4 "Rat" Bobcat rover! :D

dnEqbEt.jpg

gvSduCX.jpg

You're considering a Thunderbird 2? Awesome. Classic 1960's marionette version (My favorite one, I have somewhere 2 of the metal toy Thunderbird 2's with the mini Thunderbird 4) or the one from the not-so-great 2004 live action film?

I know it isn't exactly a recent part, but do you have any helpful suggestions for lanching a vessel with a DEMV payload equipped with your DEMV quadcoupler?

I'd be using the DEMV Mk II if that makes any difference.

Edited by shadowsutekh

You're considering a Thunderbird 2? Awesome. Classic 1960's marionette version (My favorite one, I have somewhere 2 of the metal toy Thunderbird 2's with the mini Thunderbird 4) or the one from the not-so-great 2004 live action film?

I know it isn't exactly a recent part, but do you have any helpful suggestions for lanching a vessel with a DEMV payload equipped with your DEMV quadcoupler?

I'd be using the DEMV Mk II if that makes any difference.

I think that's exactly the payload that the quadcoupler was designed for in fact. Just attach it to the top of the DEMV 2 and then add fuel tanks and engines to the arms. Don't forget RCS tanks, ports, and parachutes if you're landing on a world with atmosphere.

Make the quadcoupler un-dockable or have a decoupler if you intend it to be a single use skycrane.

Or maybe the one from the Thunderbirds 2086 anime?

lolwat. I think I'll stick with the bright green 60's one sorry. That was like watching Voltron meets Thundercats or something.

@Logan I thought so based on the slot on the DEMV Mk II for a port. I just tried launching one the other day and it went up, then nosed over and flew sideways for like 5KM from the pad and went boom.

Hooray for having an aunt who lives in the UK or I would probably never have found out about Thunderbirds as a kid. I think it's kind of weird being 21 and nobody else around me recognizes Voltron or Speed Racer (I have awesome parents), or Thunderbirds.

Edited by shadowsutekh

Or maybe the one from the Thunderbirds 2086 anime?

Wow! There's a blast from the past! Yeah I remember that one. In Japan it was called "Technoboyger". But it was definitely supposed to be an homage to Thunderbirds, so when it was translated and brought over, that's what they made it into!

The vehicles are actually kind of simple. They're not complex shapes at all. I think they'd be easy to model. The 2086 TB1 for example could almost be made just from B9 parts.

In other news - I think this is as far as I'm going to get tonight on this project. But I think it's a success so far!

gswXWzG.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.