[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Yes, but those are from the older Orion mock-ups. The new one will use the ATV SM. And they look better. :)
As you can see BobCat is making the old Orion launched on the Ares I. He isn't doing the new SLS one.

Yeah, the new Orion/SLS package is a different animal totally below the crew capsule, the Service Module on the SLS version is being built largely by ESA (including parts in the UK, yay!!) and will draw heavily on ATV's Service Module (hence why it uses ATV's solar arrays) for it's technology and packaging, the concept can be seen here:

Contrast with the Constellation concept version in this video, which is what BobCat is recreating here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycppfvOUlPs

The LK is pretty brilliant. It was worth watching Apollo 18 just to see "authentic-like" footage of an LK on the moon. That's not really a spoiler since they show it in the trailer.

The LK is pretty brilliant. It was worth watching Apollo 18 just to see "authentic-like" footage of an LK on the moon. That's not really a spoiler since they show it in the trailer.

Maybe the trailer is a spoiler ;) And because I've watched the movie not so long ago, I can assure you it's a spoiler.

The video looks awesome also BobCat, I only just had time to watch it. I cannot wait :D

I noticed you built a Fuel Balancer into the right-click menu on Altair? Is that hard to do or is it just someone's plugin and then a .cfg entry?

The video looks awesome also BobCat, I only just had time to watch it. I cannot wait :D

I noticed you built a Fuel Balancer into the right-click menu on Altair? Is that hard to do or is it just someone's plugin and then a .cfg entry?

Click on part a, alt-click on part b

Transfer

Are you sure? I f that's the case why do we need TAC Fuel Balancer? Why doesn't anyone else I've seen use it in mods? More importantly, point me at the documentation!! :D

EDIT: Ye Gods! How did I miss that? Is it a 'game' feature or a debug 'cheat' feature that's not going to work in career mode?

Edited by MDBenson

Click on part a, alt-click on part b

Transfer

It's always sucked though because you can only transfer fuel from one source at a time.

TAC Fuel Balancer is for this exact reason...

And it's been part of the Vanilla game for quite some time, at least since 0.18, so why you haven't seen anyone use it is beyond me.

It's always sucked though because you can only transfer fuel from one source at a time.

TAC Fuel Balancer is for this exact reason...

And it's been part of the Vanilla game for quite some time, at least since 0.18, so why you haven't seen anyone use it is beyond me.

I see. I have only been using KSP for about a month or so. There are still a few things I haven't found. :)

Okay, so I picked this pack up (american/ares I) because all i wanted was a crew module roughly orion shaped, and crewed with aproximately half-dozen crew, sitting on a 3.75m base. So I resized it by 1.1 to get it to fit KW tanks, crew capacity to 5, and changed the description and name in VAB (I did this for the "this is all set in a fictional world, not going to have real nations and tech, just close analogues" theme) , and at first, no dramas, then I've installed a mod, or a passive update occured, (I'm using steam version). Now whenever I fit the Orion pod, my staging tree disappears off the left of the screen on launch and I can't stage my rocket with space. I can still manually stage by right clicking each component, however. All the other Ares/Orion parts work fine though. Now for a temp fix, is there any part of this part's code that calls on a mod .dll? or can I just copy over it's part .cfg with the stock 3 seater and adjust node, crew, etc. values? would that even work? Or is there an update due soon that will correct this?

Okay, so I picked this pack up (american/ares I) because all i wanted was a crew module roughly orion shaped, and crewed with aproximately half-dozen crew, sitting on a 3.75m base. So I resized it by 1.1 to get it to fit KW tanks, crew capacity to 5, and changed the description and name in VAB (I did this for the "this is all set in a fictional world, not going to have real nations and tech, just close analogues" theme) , and at first, no dramas, then I've installed a mod, or a passive update occured, (I'm using steam version). Now whenever I fit the Orion pod, my staging tree disappears off the left of the screen on launch and I can't stage my rocket with space. I can still manually stage by right clicking each component, however. All the other Ares/Orion parts work fine though. Now for a temp fix, is there any part of this part's code that calls on a mod .dll? or can I just copy over it's part .cfg with the stock 3 seater and adjust node, crew, etc. values? would that even work? Or is there an update due soon that will correct this?
You messed with the cfgs and have applied other mods...how are we supposed to know what you did? -_-

I stated how I messed with .cfg's, as far as I know, none of these things should mess with staging. As for the other mods I installed, are there any known that clash with bobcat's work? Also, I just tried starting with a probe core and adding the orion as a glorified crew tank, it still locks out all the staging. I'm seriously stumped as to what I did. It's only the orion that's wigging out, I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and possible Ideas to fix it. I will admit, that with the number of mods I'm running, something had to give eventually, but the way this stopped working is unexpected.

Edit: fresh install, unmodified .cfg, same thing. Must be a mod clashing with it. Does anyone know if there are mods/plugins that don't work with Bobcat stuff?

Edited by Gryphorim

I stated how I messed with .cfg's, as far as I know, none of these things should mess with staging. As for the other mods I installed, are there any known that clash with bobcat's work? Also, I just tried starting with a probe core and adding the orion as a glorified crew tank, it still locks out all the staging. I'm seriously stumped as to what I did. It's only the orion that's wigging out, I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and possible Ideas to fix it. I will admit, that with the number of mods I'm running, something had to give eventually, but the way this stopped working is unexpected.

Edit: fresh install, unmodified .cfg, same thing. Must be a mod clashing with it. Does anyone know if there are mods/plugins that don't work with Bobcat stuff?

You're the second person to mention this bug. I dont have it at all so I suspect it's a mod clash issue

Question 1: Are you using the legacy ASAS plugin that's attached to the Orion docking port? If so then don't. I removed it and it solved several issues.

Question 2: What *plugins* do you have installed and are you using the latest version of KAS and Romfarer Lazor for 0.20.x - legacy versions of these are known to cause issues.

Just deleted the legacy ASAS plugin,and i've updated both KAS and romfarer plugins, and still no good.

Plugins i'm using are: Hyperedit, Vanguard, Aviation lights, the ones that come with the latest build of B9, Mechjeb, Crew Manifest, Firespitter, HLAirship, KAS, and Romfarer.

You messed with the cfgs and have applied other mods...how are we supposed to know what you did? -_-

I know exactly what's the problem, actually. Comment out the INTERNAL module for the Orion pod. For some reason, when it can't find it's internal space, it does that.

There must be an underlying reason why it does that. Maybe check all the files are in the right place and check if tge cfg is pointing to the right place fir the INTERNAL?

Jesus that's big, that propulsion stage looks like it would almost be as big as the Ares V first stage. The launcher must be huge for that bit alone, the other bits aren't too small either. I WANT! :D