[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Will the Soviet Pack be updated to the .tga format soon please? I'd like to see if it's the texture handling that's been breaking it for me, and whilst I could convert them myself via GIMP, I want to be sure I have the standard expected before fiddling with it in order to be able to bug report correctly... so far however the spaceport version is still the old 1.8.5 (and with a 1.8.4 folder inside)

This 1934 song. What White Army?

They are referring to "Red Army is the strongest", or "ÚрðÑÂýðѠÃÂрüøѠòÑÂõх ÑÂøûьýõù".

is anyone having the issue where the Buran shuttle shakes itself to pieces while the end of the Buran manipulator is close to the back end of the shuttle? I just tried to deploy a satellite and it just went mental! if it helps, i had SAS turned on. ( i also have the latest version of the soviet pack)

is anyone having the issue where the Buran shuttle shakes itself to pieces while the end of the Buran manipulator is close to the back end of the shuttle? I just tried to deploy a satellite and it just went mental! if it helps, i had SAS turned on. ( i also have the latest version of the soviet pack)
This is an inherent problem with the way the arm works and is a KSP limitation that Romfarer never got to iron out since he got hired. (I assume robotic arms will be officially added sometime so we can appropriate the proper code for a Buran arm model later) KSP has the arm inflict torque on the shuttle and the physics system basically just doesn't like it.

There's no absolute way around it that I've figured out but a method that can help you control it (there will still be oscillations but you may mitigate it enough to avoid catastrophic shaking) is to use 'fine control' by hitting, by default, capslock when using the arm. I've found that it's generally a good idea to also, softly, jettison/undock/whateveryourmethod the cargo before grappling it with the arm. Mind the forces of rotation and move the arm carefully and in a certain way, depending on the cargo, to avoid as much shaking as possible. Avoid SAS during the operation, use RCS/SAS to stabilize the craft before you start moving the arm.

Attempting to move the Buran and the arm simultaneously will result in the 'being ripped apart' issue.

I hate to say it, but the new soviet parts pack update broke my game, looks like I get to find a download for the old one.
So you're just gonna go with 'it broke my game' so we have no idea what's wrong and no way for you to fix it on your end, or Bobcat's if it is actually an inherent problem? Edited by Good_Apollo

Actually, ASAS is a very good idea during working with the arm. Also, strut it to the Buran, it's a very important part. Use fine controls and plan ahead, so you don't have to make too many movements with the arm. Also, if you can, try to grab the target so that pull/push is in line with the target's COM.

So you're just gonna go with 'it broke my game' so we have no idea what's wrong and no way for you to fix it on your end, or Bobcat's if it is actually an inherent problem?

The game runs fine without the new parts, but doesn't run with the new parts (it crashes at startup), so yes, it broke my game. If it was a problem on my end I would have fixed it by now, I already found a download for the older parts and my game runs fine now.

Actually, ASAS is a very good idea during working with the arm. Also, strut it to the Buran, it's a very important part. Use fine controls and plan ahead, so you don't have to make too many movements with the arm. Also, if you can, try to grab the target so that pull/push is in line with the target's COM.
Whenever I've had ASAS/SAS/SmartASS on during arm operation, with and without RCS, it caused the thing to spin-up like a top twice as fast. I've never used struts, but I'm a strut-hater simply because they're ridiculous and look ridiculous no matter how functional they are. (I'm unreasonable about it, yeah but I like to enjoy a certain aesthetic in KSP)
The game runs fine without the new parts, but doesn't run with the new parts (it crashes at startup), so yes, it broke my game. If it was a problem on my end I would have fixed it by now, I already found a download for the older parts and my game runs fine now.
This isn't like a full released game...hell it still wouldn't be like most games. KSP has tons of variables when it comes to problems and mods compound them. We need more information: System Specs, any and all other installed mods/addons, ect.

Whenever I've had ASAS/SAS/SmartASS on during arm operation, with and without RCS, it caused the thing to spin-up like a top twice as fast. I've never used struts, but I'm a strut-hater simply because they're ridiculous and look ridiculous no matter how functional they are. (I'm unreasonable about it, yeah but I like to enjoy a certain aesthetic in KSP)

Then you're out of luck. Struts are essential to proper operation of Buran's arm. It's an exercise in frustration otherwise. I also don't like to use struts, but in that case, I made an exception, since the arm is simply unusable without them.

Then you're out of luck. Struts are essential to proper operation of Buran's arm. It's an exercise in frustration otherwise. I also don't like to use struts, but in that case, I made an exception, since the arm is simply unusable without them.

You could always use the Quantum Struts either the laser or strut gun versions, that way its a tiny unnoticeable part that you can put on action groups to turn on and off.

What do you mean? Is it translucent or something?

There are no TGA files in the folder for the Parachute. In my game it just shows as a White part of the proper shape. I haven't tested to see if it deploys with a texture on the actual chute but the part has nothing.

Bug Report

With the latest version, downloaded a few minutes before posting this, the Soviet Pack crashes KSP before it can even complete loading. The last two error logs list an "Access Violation" as the cause.

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.1.2f1_911c7369eeac]

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module KSP.exe at 001b:007d3b9c.

Error occurred at 2013-06-30_153404.

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Kow-Bulls.

91% memory in use.

3328 MB physical memory [287 MB free].

0 MB paging file [2077 MB free].

2048 MB user address space [94 MB free].

Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module KSP.exe at 001b:007d3bb4.

Error occurred at 2013-06-30_153526.

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Kow-Bulls.

88% memory in use.

3328 MB physical memory [372 MB free].

0 MB paging file [2154 MB free].

2048 MB user address space [151 MB free].

Read from location 00001ffc caused an access violation.

As can be seen, it's eating up the entire available memory everywhere during loading. Same system as before, WinXP with 4gb RAM fitted, 1GB ATI 4670HD. Only other mods are the Innsewerants Mapsat and Mechjeb.