[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Oy, here we go again.

Whenever I launch the Ares V, either one or both of the SRBs will randomly disconnect from the decoupler at random times. Also, sometimes the 2nd Stage decoupler will disconnect from the 2nd Stage at random times.

It happened to the Ares V I built by hand, and the Ares V included as a craft file with the American Pack.

No Errors pop up in the Debug Log.

The lack of people running in here and complaining about this leaves me with a fear that I am, once again, the only one getting a bug.

I have the same issue with the SRBs snapping off at random times on Ares V and also an unexplained random disintegration of the stack. Wasn't an issue in 0.20.x. I flew Ares V probably over 20 times. Now it breaks. Struts on the SRBs, also used Bobcat's build from the .craft files.

I also have an issue I forgot to mention in the previous version that's still a problem. The Orion capsule parachutes don't generate nearly enough drag. The capsule hits the ground/sea at about 40m/s and explodes for me. I can verify it's still an issue as I had to do a couple of launch aborts on 0.21.1 goofing about with flying Orion on Ares V in SLS style (using the frankly incredibly awesome Procedural Fairings mod).

I have the same issue with the SRBs snapping off at random times on Ares V and also an unexplained random disintegration of the stack. Wasn't an issue in 0.20.x. I flew Ares V probably over 20 times. Now it breaks. Struts on the SRBs, also used Bobcat's build from the .craft files.

Im try fix that and make new craf file

I also have an issue I forgot to mention in the previous version that's still a problem. The Orion capsule parachutes don't generate nearly enough drag. The capsule hits the ground/sea at about 40m/s and explodes for me. I can verify it's still an issue as I had to do a couple of launch aborts on 0.21.1 goofing about with flying Orion on Ares V in SLS style (using the frankly incredibly awesome Procedural Fairings mod).

Hmm... maybe you use breaking parachute ?

Orion have double para system, first breaking parachute (activate in space and slow down your speed in high altitude) second main parachute (cut breaking and open main manualy) for landing to sea or land.

I have some problems with the Soviet Pack download:

It goes smoothly, like any from Spaceport, then when trying to open the .zip archive, it tells me that is not an "archive" and i'm unable to open...

... strange issue, because even the American Pack or many other mods downlooaded from Spaceport are opening without any issue.

(I'm using 7z as zip opener... maybe a compatibility issue with that sofware, but just for the Soviet Pack archive???)

I have some problems with the Soviet Pack download:

It goes smoothly, like any from Spaceport, then when trying to open the .zip archive, it tells me that is not an "archive" and i'm unable to open...

... strange issue, because even the American Pack or many other mods downlooaded from Spaceport are opening without any issue.

(I'm using 7z as zip opener... maybe a compatibility issue with that sofware, but just for the Soviet Pack archive???)

Try redownload the file, worked for me several times with other files I've downloaded that came out "corrupt"

... uhm... I tried at least 10 times... U_U

I found the same issue downloading Novapunch 2.02b, but it has also a mirro mediafire download.

If it is an problem with Spaceport, i hope BobCat's guys could eventually come up with a mirrow download too...

hey Bobcat why won't the LRV wheel deploy when ever assemble the LRV

You have to add an action group including all 4 wheels and the pod. Add "toggle" from the wheels and the pod to one of the numbers so you just have to press that and it deploys fully. Or manually click on the wheels and then on toggle them.

Understood on the SRBs.

I see, I understand how the chutes work on Orion, but the main chute is opening (on it's own) or at least the *animation* is activating so I have both sets open, but doesn't seem to have an effect. I kind of assumed it was working but I see it's not.

Do I NEED to cut the braking chute before the main chutes take over? There are 2 right-click options both labelled 'Cut Chute' and I can't tell which is which chute, and I'm BOUND to pick the wrong one! :P

EDIT: I went back and figured it out. It's confusing but I'm pretty sure that's SQUAD's fault not BobCat's as they don't allow you to label each action, it just uses a pre-written description i.e. 'Deploy', 'Cut Chute' 'toggle' etc. for action group actions. I may drop a suggestion in the correct forum to allow numbering or extra labelling of action group actions as I've seen multiple mods where this problem causes confusion with multiple action groups. What's even MORe confusing is if you run the actions for 'Cut Chute' and 'Deploy' twice it cuts the OTHER chute as well and you end up with non at all (Ouch...)!

Anyway, I have run Pad Abort and High-Altitude Abort tests I've got it sussed. I can't remember which pair is the right pair of 'Cut Chute' and 'Deploy' actions but a couple of Pad Abort tests ought to see you right, although I recommend using MechJeb to run the pod unmanned as Kerbels *will* perish if you screw it up ;)

Edited by MDBenson

Do I NEED to cut the braking chute before the main chutes take over? There are 2 right-click options both labelled 'Cut Chute' and I can't tell which is which chute, and I'm BOUND to pick the wrong one! :P

Yes, you have to cut the braking chutes (the 2nd one on the action list) otherwise the main chutes won't be operational. I had to do the same thing. Strange but it seems that the game only supports one chute at a time from the same parachute bag.

The issue, I think, is this line in the .cfg file:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleParachute

invertCanopy = true

autoCutSpeed = 50

capName = cap2

canopyName = canopy2

semiDeployedAnimation = semi1

fullyDeployedAnimation = full1

stowedDrag = 0.22

semiDeployedDrag = 0.05

fullyDeployedDrag = 4

minAirPressureToOpen = 0.1

deployAltitude = 8000

deploymentSpeed = 1.5

semiDeploymentSpeed = 1.5

}

That's the config for the brake chutes. the problem is they *don't* auto-cut at that speed. I just tried it and they went through 50m/s slowing down and didn't cut off. I had to do it manually using my configured action group key.

ALSO: the Ares V SRB thing definitely isn't a strutting issue. I fitted mine with ALL THE STRUTS and they still exploded. Sometimes they just come adrift just after launch, other times they explode as I push into the gravity turn. Locking the Gimbal on them seems to make it happen at high altitude rather than low but generally it happens one way or the other.

The failure of the SRB is the decoupler-to-SRB attachment breaking. I don't know if the new model SRB is causing it (doubtful), or the game has something different in 0.21. Currently comparing things to see if something changed.

AND: I've tried downloading the Soviet Pack from the spaceport about 6 or 7 times and it's come down corrupt every time now. Other stuff downloads fine for me so I'm not sure of the issue, but if you could look at it or mirror it elsewhere it'd be handy :D

Edited by MDBenson

I have managed to avert the Ares V SRB problem:

- Lock the gimbal on the SRBs (the gimbal torque seems to make things way worse)

- Use SAS only until the SRBs burn out (you'll have to start the gravity turn and stage the SRBs by hand if you use MechJeb.

- DISABLE "Limit to Terminal Velocity" in MechJeb, this seems to agravate the issue (bigger thrust difference between SRBs and main stage?) and is ON even if the ascent autopilot is OFF

if it is selected ANYWHERE (i.e. the check box in Ascent or in Utilities, which are linked together).

UPDATE: Yep something in MechJeb specifically is screwing up the SRBs. They work just dandy if you use SAS and fly by hand. MechJeb is, as of 0.21, a piece of crap compared to the new SAS. SAS is smooth, works well and causes little wobble unless the craft is actually poorly designed, MechJeb has the craft waving all over the place in comparison. I think for now just don't use MechJeb or the options during the low altitude phases and turn it on once the SRBs have separated.

ALSO: Be very careful in your gravity turn. If you are too aggressive you can cause the decoupler failure.

Edited by MDBenson

I have just downloaded 1.8.8 of the Soviet pack from spaceport, and I notice the absence of Buran.

What happened? That was my favorite ship!

did .21 break it?

That would be sad, it was probly the best Kerbal shuttle yet.