[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

*screams like a little girl* WOW! Awesome :D

Hoowweever I do have some other things. I have been playing with the American Pack and found a couple of issues:

The Orion capsule has poor flight characteristics and causes some rockets to fall over in the gravity turn. Some brief testing has shown it as being an issue with having 2 stock ModuleParachute configurations. Take the drogue chute out of the configuration and hey-presto the issue goes away. Much better 1 and 2-chute configurations can be done via StupidChris's RealParachute plugin now anyway. You might want to look in to that for a future version of Orion? For now I chopped it down to 1 chute (mains, obviously) and it seems fine.

Also, the Orion circular solar panels are messed up, the surface attachment point is way off where the actually attaching point of the array is. When I try to attach them to the Orion service module they are buried way inside it instead of attaching to the outside. Tried them on a normal stock fuel tank and the same happens. You might want to try re-getting the ones from Yogui's new 3-size pack he released for 0.22.

Other than that I am loving all this new stuff, the IVA in the Orion pod is really cool :D

EDIT: Also, the main engine of the Orion service module is not in balance. When applying thrust it has a significant 'twang' in the +ve pitch direction. Makes node manoeuvres very difficult.

EDIT: It's no the service module, again something wit the pod is twitchy or out of balance? I replaced the service module with some other parts (stretchy tank + LazTek Merlin 1D Vacuum engine) and it did the same 'twang' under thrust. Something is very unbalanced in the pod or dockport. If I use SAS and throttle it drifts constantly as if I am holding the W key (nose down).

I AM using ferram's JointReinforcement plugin. Would that be the problem?? Nope.

Edited by MDBenson

The Orion capsule has poor flight characteristics and causes some rockets to fall over in the gravity turn. Some brief testing has shown it as being an issue with having 2 stock ModuleParachute configurations. Take the drogue chute out of the configuration and hey-presto the issue goes away. Much better 1 and 2-chute configurations can be done via StupidChris's RealParachute plugin now anyway. You might want to look in to that for a future version of Orion? For now I chopped it down to 1 chute (mains, obviously) and it seems fine.

EDIT: Also, the main engine of the Orion service module is not in balance. When applying thrust it has a significant 'twang' in the +ve pitch direction. Makes node manoeuvres very difficult.

EDIT: It's no the service module, again something wit the pod is twitchy or out of balance? I replaced the service module with some other parts (stretchy tank + LazTek Merlin 1D Vacuum engine) and it did the same 'twang' under thrust. Something is very unbalanced in the pod or dockport. If I use SAS and throttle it drifts constantly as if I am holding the W key (nose down).

I AM using ferram's JointReinforcement plugin. Would that be the problem?? Nope.

I decided to test the ares 1 + orion without putting the docking port on, and what do you know. Started grav turn at 8km, and then stage sep of the SRB, and the 2nd stage stayed under control of MechJeb.

As for the off center thing you're experiencing, I'm not getting it. Orion doesn't want to twang or zang or even zip zibbity zabble.

And the LRV is still set as a commandpod instead of being a part.

I have no idea....

....what I'm looking at, so many buttons and other things....what does it all do?

EDIT: Would you ever make a space center (with the kerbtown plugin) that's like the Russian one? You could put it where the desert meets the grassland.

Edited by fatfluffycat

Long video about Soyuz TMA dock to MIR station use only IVA view .

EDIT: Would you ever make a space center (with the kerbtown plugin) that's like the Russian one? You could put it where the desert meets the grassland.

Somebody fix Kerbtown plugin? Edited by BobCat

Hi,

who's maintaining this pack science tree? I tried playing career and had to not use these parts, because it becomes just too easy. You have everything right away and can go to Mun. I think that removing the orbital module, docking port and the third stage could make it reasonable harder.