[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

So i decided to try the Ares I with FAR on....

Things did not go well.

At about 4,000 M The SRB want's to flip upside down, of course without FAR it flies fine. Is there anyway to fix this via config files or will i have to wait till some sort of fix from the makers of the mods?

Well, I've had no success making Ares I fly with FAR. You need to be very careful with it. Also, you may try adding a 2-size node below the SRB's nozzle. This should improve stability.

Hey Bobcat, love all of your work.

Just wanted to let you know that with the latest test version of the American pack I am getting extreme lag in the IVA of the Orion capsule - this is with no other mods installed. I don't think its the RasterPropMonitor functionality because I have used another mod that uses it without any problems.

Keep up the great work.

Are you sure it's not the ECLSS causing the lag?

Im total remake all texture space and optimisation, and i think in new version you dont need delete any ships )))

Old version Soyuz TMA (Soyuz and Progress) parts have 112mb texture RAM usage .

In New version Soyuz TMA (Soyuz and Progress) parts have only 14 mb textures.

Is the Buran been made controllabe during launch yet?

what?

Im total remake all texture space and optimisation, and i think in new version you dont need delete any ships )))

Old version Soyuz TMA (Soyuz and Progress) parts have 112mb texture RAM usage .

In New version Soyuz TMA (Soyuz and Progress) parts have only 14 mb textures.

Wow. Unbelievable. Can't wait to see the beta version, I have to see how you managed that!

Ditto. The new Soyuz looks so amazing... I'm out of words to describe this, this thing is perfect.

BTW, I found another thing that might be of use. Check this out:

http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/Soyuz/soyuz-blueprint.jpg

Some additional Soyuz trivia I came across. Probably useless, but hey, this rocket is so fascinating :) :

On most rockets, everything red is supposed to be removed before flight. So, the nozzles don't have red interiors, those are just protective covers.

The gimbal angle on Soyuz verniers is 45 degrees in both planes.

The winglets on the first stage are actuated. I haven't been able to determine if the whole winglet moves, or if it has a control surface attached.

The Soyuz SAS tower has two abort modes. One for pad abort and one for high altitude abort. That's why it has two sets of nozzles of different sizes (besides the top-mounted separation motors).

The Soyuz descent module has it's own set of RCS which it uses for orientation during reentry. If they fail, it defaults to a ballistic reentry. They're powered by HTP, which is why it's orbital storage limit is 180 days. After that, too much HTP decomposes.

Turns out there are 6 landing rockets in Soyuz TMA, not 3. They're fired just 80cm above the ground.

Unlike in most rockets, turbopumps in the first and second stages are driven by HTP, not by engine propellants. This results in the engines being functionally tripropellant.

On most rockets, everything red is supposed to be removed before flight. So, the nozzles don't have red interiors, those are just protective covers.

Yes, im remake this place

The gimbal angle on Soyuz verniers is 45 degrees in both planes.

Wrong. Small nozzle have 45 degrees in one axis. 4 (2-2) have 45 in both planes. KSP not ready for that.

The winglets on the first stage are actuated. I haven't been able to determine if the whole winglet moves, or if it has a control surface attached.

No control surface in this place now.

The Soyuz SAS tower has two abort modes. One for pad abort and one for high altitude abort. That's why it has two sets of nozzles of different sizes (besides the top-mounted separation motors).

If im make separate parts áÃÂá , im make like N1L3 rocket.

The Soyuz descent module has it's own set of RCS which it uses for orientation during reentry. If they fail, it defaults to a ballistic reentry. They're powered by HTP, which is why it's orbital storage limit is 180 days. After that, too much HTP decomposes.

Wrong. weak RCS port use for orientation CA in pre reentry stage afner separation. I cant make this place in KSP now.

Turns out there are 6 landing rockets in Soyuz TMA, not 3. They're fired just 80cm above the ground.

Wrong. Im main parachute landing use only 3 (1 level), if use reserve parachute crew use 4 (1 level) and 2 (3 level) solid booster. We no have reserve parachute and separate control for engines in KSP. Maybe later.

Edited by BobCat

Where did you find all this info? I've been looking for detailed landing sequence for quite some time. Also, if the orientation thrusters aren't used for controlled reentry, what is? There's this image that shows that during a nominal reentry, there seems to be some sort of control:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25232.0;attach=297647;image

I also know that it reenters on a ballistic trajectory if something goes wrong (like PAO not separating when it should. Happened at least twice with Soyuz TMA).

Oh, and in case you were interested, I know of a plugin that can make the Soyuz verniers gimbal properly. It's called Exsurgent Engineering and is a part of B9 aerospace. You can include it with your Soviet Pack, I think. It allows gimbals to control roll and have a response time, which looks better and helps stability. I'm already experimenting with it, it's really useful because it can smooth out the control inputs. It can also handle large gimbal angles and restrict gimbals to an axis. Very useful for the RSS mod.

Though I didn't post those trivia as a list of requests. They're just neat things I found about Soyuz.

EDIT: OK, I think I've found it. The trick apparently relies on both an offset COM and the HTP thrusters, which can only control roll, it seems. During a controlled reentry, the capsule is rolled so that proper lift is generated and G-load is kept below 4G. It can be done either by the computer or manually. In case this doesn't work, the capsule undergoes a ballistic reentry:

http://suzymchale.com/ruspace/soyland.html#modes

Given that those thrusters only control roll, you could try implementing them by using a ModuleReactionWheels, but consuming Monopropellant instead of ElectricCharge. You can do that, I've tested it, and Frizzank is also using this in FASA. Just a thought, it's a config-side only tweak (though you don't get nice effects, but those thrusters are so weak it doesn't matter).

Edited by Guest

Found something for you, Dragon. Though they don't explain where the soyuz is getting it's lift (you found that out, and it looks like they show the offset COM effect in the graphics), it's still pretty good stuff:

Additional: Here's the launch sequence. Gives us a little bit more info on the Launch Escape Sequence.

Edited by Deltac

Great vids. They show some of the finer points of Soyuz operation. It does indeed have an offset COM, but it's offset in a way that requires active stabilization not to start to spin.

I tried making this kind of escape sequence on action groups. The only problem is that the shrouds are attached only to the decoupler in the bottom, not to the ship itself. Either you have to lift the whole ship with the payload platform, or lift only the tower, orbital module & descent module. Be careful while doing escape sequence: if you deploy parachutes early, below 500 m, the crew dies instantly.

Also, in KSP the gear deploys on two key presses, not one, and the side panels do not deploy with action group.

I tried making this kind of escape sequence on action groups. The only problem is that the shrouds are attached only to the decoupler in the bottom, not to the ship itself. Either you have to lift the whole ship with the payload platform, or lift only the tower, orbital module & descent module. Be careful while doing escape sequence: if you deploy parachutes early, below 500 m, the crew dies instantly.

Also, in KSP the gear deploys on two key presses, not one, and the side panels do not deploy with action group.

My, aren't we late to the game:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24724-0-22-X-BobCat-ind-Historical-spacecraft-thread?p=787970&viewfull=1#post787970

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24724-0-22-X-BobCat-ind-Historical-spacecraft-thread?p=788563&viewfull=1#post788563

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24724-0-22-X-BobCat-ind-Historical-spacecraft-thread?p=788513&viewfull=1#post788513

Been playing around with the Apollo Mission pack, tried to do an Apollo/Soyuz type mission. Used the Saturn V 2nd and 3rd stages (Saturn 1B not present) and it wouldnt do the gravity turn, which was annoying lol

Hey Bobcat, now that you're redoing the pack, there's a crucial flaw in the Buran: it didn't have any main engines, only two small orbital ones.

388px-Buran_rear_view_%28Le_Bourget_1989%29.JPEG

The current Buran in your pack is a hybrid of the US Space Shuttle and the Buran.

Err... What main engines? The current Buran has OMS engines, just like this. Sure, they're strong enough that you can, in theory, use them like SSMEs, but that's not ​how they're meant to be used. Oh, and while they may be called "main engines", they're completely different from SSMEs. The only reason they're that strong is that it makes flying the Buran in orbit easier.

Edited by Guest