International construction ISS in Kerbal orbit.

BobCat

If you need a tested, I'll have some time tomorrow. I've even got a Shuttle in development, just the thing for launching Z1 and Cupola. :) We're all really looking forward to this.

Also, could you check Kibo and it's animations? Animation lag when it's not deployed is making the thing a pain to launch, and at framerates this low, using Romfarer's arms moves from difficult to impossible.

I've actually already finished the hi-res models of the station, and mine is a lot more complex. I'll do the low-poly for Unity first and show you why I had to redo them. I'm also going to use this new 3D printer that I bought to print, paint, and assemble my models, and translate my 3D version into a real world model, at roughly 1:75 scale.

Use 64% scale, like everyone else. Or you could do 1:1, and release with RSS in mind. This mod is more "Kerbal", but realistic, much like BobCat's stations. If you've got an entire station, you could as well spin it off into a separate mod. I can help you with configs for most parts (and even lend you a Shuttle alpha), though you'll have to contact Infernal Robotics guys (and probably KAS) for robotic models set-up. I'm definitely interested in having a full-scale ISS to play with. :) Oh, and as long as your colliders are simple, don't worry too much about polygons on KSP models. For graphics, texture resolution is what really eats performance, you can afford quite hi-poly models in KSP.

Edited by Guest

I'm considering restarting this project, and maybe I'll be able to coerce others into it, but I'm still devising ways to solve the problems the mod has, such module delivery. The Buran is great and all, but US modules were delivered quite differently from how they are delivered in-game. They used trunnions to secure payloads on either side of the payload bay. They didn't attach them to the back. This is really the only issue I don't have a solution for. Fixing the robotic arm(and it's delivery) is simple, and so are the PMA/Truss issues.

Once I gather enough data, I'll probably make a thread and start looking for people to help. I seriously doubt I can do this on my own. I'll definitely be needing people who can code, as there needs to be quite a change from how romfarer's robotic arms work. It will probably be a few days before at the very least before I post anything. I'd like to have some work to show before I restart this project. I'll also see if I can get source files for this project to make my job a little easier. At the moment, I'm remodeling Zvezda/Zarya/Unity/S0 to make them feel more realistic, although considering my time constraints, I can't make much progress. But I really want to see a proper ISS, so I'm going to put a fair amount of my free time into making it happen.

Go for it. I'm not sure if you recall why this fell flat, but i'll let you in on some history.

When we started this project, it was a commmunity project involving alot of people, alot more that are in the list up the top. Then the forum got wiped.

50 percent (or more) of the people that signed up to the project never re-signed up to it when the thread was created again. So, instead of this massive community project, you only had a handful of people doing it. Bobcat mainly pulling everything together. Then you know what I saw for the next 6 months? complaints and nothing but complaints about how this wasn't perfect or that wasn't perfect. So I threw the towel in, gave my PMA and unity module up and stopped working on PIRS and the Cupola (as Clara had just made a great one, why bother).

If all the original people who actually committed to the project had followed through and not used the forum wipe as an excuse to get out of a project they obviously realized was just too much for them, then all would have been fine. Sorry, just saying it how it is, I'm not meaning to sound incredibly negative although that's probably how it sounds :) I just put alot of time into my parts and was annoyed at all the people who copped out.

Go for it. I'm not sure if you recall why this fell flat, but i'll let you in on some history.

When we started this project, it was a commmunity project involving alot of people, alot more that are in the list up the top. Then the forum got wiped.

50 percent (or more) of the people that signed up to the project never re-signed up to it when the thread was created again. So, instead of this massive community project, you only had a handful of people doing it. Bobcat mainly pulling everything together. Then you know what I saw for the next 6 months? complaints and nothing but complaints about how this wasn't perfect or that wasn't perfect. So I threw the towel in, gave my PMA and unity module up and stopped working on PIRS and the Cupola (as Clara had just made a great one, why bother).

If all the original people who actually committed to the project had followed through and not used the forum wipe as an excuse to get out of a project they obviously realized was just too much for them, then all would have been fine. Sorry, just saying it how it is, I'm not meaning to sound incredibly negative although that's probably how it sounds :) I just put alot of time into my parts and was annoyed at all the people who copped out.

I understand how you feel. I work in this sort of environment every day, so I'm fairly used to it. Granted, I have no experience with low-poly and game meshes. Something as simple as say, a barrel, which in a game would be no more than 100 or 200 polys, is more like 20-30k in my line of work. It's definitely not something I'm used to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to help. Big fan of ISS and all space in general. I can model, generally in highpoly, but have some experience in lowpoly as well. I work in Max 2010. Not that good in texturing, but KSP textures are rather simple. I won't export myself, so far tried exporting different stuff into 4 different games without success.

Most interested in doing IVA's. And what about that Bigelow module? We can ask PorkWorks for his DLL for such modules.

• 2 weeks later...

Me? Oh, I just go around bugging people about stuff I want. Not much different from your average corporate manager, I suppose. :) If I'm a good manager, then it's because I don't micromanage them, give them pointless assignments, keep moving the goalposts and don't deny them credit. :)

Seriously, though, I'm doing the configs/testing for a lot of things, but can't code, model nor rig, that means I have to work with other people to get anything done. That means occasionally asking them how it's going.

Here some dev new of my ISS parts. Pirs, Poisk, and Z1 truss are done and functional, just need some small lag to fix. Here some pics and a video of Poisk's stowage to ISS.

ge5iqy7l622cy764g.jpg 81xek2m32eepcnm4g.jpg

(video is uploading, wait for +-45min)

I need to work on JEM modules lag and make the cupola cfg file. I think I solve the issue when JEM modules unstacked after a F9 loading.

Lovely. :) It's great to see this mod come back to live. And now we even have the Shuttle! Are you going to model S5/P5 truss sections? They're adapters from S4/P4 to S6/P6, and would be better than the current "floating space node". I'm pretty sure they could be modeled to touch, but not to interfere with the actual panels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:STS-116_-_P5_Truss_hand-off_to_ISS_(NASA_S116-E-05765).jpg

Just to let you know, I've PMed Blista1000 about including his MIR docking compartment (as Rassvet) into ISS pack. BobCat, if you'll permit that, I'll use little reskin I made for myself (slapped your MIR texture on it) for it. :)

Oh, and Yogui, does the forward docking port on your Z1 Truss work? It was crucial during the assembly (allowed the PMA shuffle during the attachment of Destiny).

Would it be possible to put a PDF together on how to assemble it like the MIR mod has, will cut down on lots of 'How do you assemble this questions" or maybe pre-assembled craft files in the sequence they launched on proton or shuttle for those that like historically accurate.

Just a few notices: Zarya does have solar panels. They are folded so the S1/P1 Truss could deploy. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:STS-128_EVA2_Russian_Orbital_Segment.jpg

Maybe you could make these solar panels, extendable and retractable.

Also a notice about what I've seen in Yogui's video: I saw that the solar panels of Poisk are both facing a different direction, but they should, just like a Soyuz and a Progress, face the same direction.

---

Keep up the good work make this an awesome mod! Thumbs up!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.