Amphibious VTOLSSTO (Image heavy)

This is now updated for 0.23

Love this craft!

However is this still functional in .23? the final downloaded file has some fuel lines that are detached and whatnot. Is there an updated version?

As per request, I've made an updated version for 0.23. I've fixed the fuel lines being broken in the transfer between versions and I've also rebalanced the VTOL engines a bit to account for the change in SAS weights in the new version. It also balances better horizontally when thrusting in space with the LV-909's.

The ascent profile is still the same. The plane should also still be compatible with the hyperspace ring.

Although I do have to say that since the 0.23 update, one-sided engine flameouts (in other planes) are not as severe as it was before, so having the inline jet engines in the VTOLSSTO might not be necessary anymore.

screenshot8.png

screenshot9.png

screenshot10.png

Hotkeys:

1: Activate LV-909

2: Activate horizontal ramjet engines

3: Nothing

4: Activate VTOL engines

5: Extend Antennas

Amphibious VTOLSSTO for 0.23

Pre-0.23 versions:

Seems my account disappeared with all of it's threads following the recent server move. Here's the return of the VTOLSSTO for those of you who still want to download it.

iJVLH4H.jpg

7aGUVVE.jpg

Water landing and takeoff

pfgGJmV.jpg

bqZG1qu.jpg

9CEPKqs.jpg

VTOLSSTO .craft file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16683090/KSP/Amphibious%20VTOLSSTO%20%28Stock%29.rar

Here is the Hyperspace ring for interplanetary transport. Once you've launched it, it's 100% re-usable. I've been re-using the same ring for transporting 5 different craft sent to Duna and Laythe.

rW2ZRRP.png

G5QdogB.jpg

Hyperspace Ring .craft: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16683090/KSP/Hyperspace%20Ring%202%20%28Stock%29.rar

Upcoming prototypes at the Kerbal Testing Labs:

3-man Bus version (you can edit the current craft for this simple change):

UkG4MKL.jpg

The design was made as a response for a Duna rescue of 2 stranded crew. It was a complete success! :D

FRzJw7u.jpg

screenshot8.png

5-man heavy Bus version:

craft: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16683090/KSP/Amphibious%20VTOLSSTO%20BUS%202.rar

MmsYxus.jpg

XQBHxt1.jpg

Kethane bus. (Currently on permanent refuel ferry duty on Laythe.)

(Probes not included)

craft: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16683090/KSP/AVTOLSSTO%20BUS%20Kethane%20%5Brelease%5D.rar

screenshot54.png

screenshot55.png

yoUYUdD.jpg

screenshot58.png

Detachable Rover+probe Version:

Protip: After the rover is detached, press 0 to activate the third VTOL engine to lift off at a balanced pitch.

craft: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16683090/KSP/AVTOLSSTO%20Rover%202_2%20%5Bstock%5D.rar

k7Efhk8.jpg

Edited by Levelord

I'm going to comments this, if only to get enough posts to be able to re-create my old threads. And because this thing is still cool as boop, too.

Rune. A minute of silence for all the cool stuff we will never get back.

I had the opportunity to watch the video, and first let me say that this is the coolest stock craft ever. Because, damn.:cool:

Thoughts on the aircraft: Is that one turbojet in the centerline of the aircraft really there? Does the part directly behind it overheat?

Is there a version of this aircraft that I can use to land VTOL style on planets with no atmosphere? I mean this thing looks like more fun than a barrel of monkeys on acid on planets like Laythe, but what if I want to use it to ferry fuel from Mün to my orbiting fuel station in local Kerbin space? Yes. I could probably make the switch from that one center jet to an aerospike, but still. I might screw up the balance, and to take that away from a masterpiece such as this is wrong.

Lastly, If I wanted to split hairs, that looked more like a VTSL (Vertical Takeoff, Short Landing) to me.:wink:

I had the opportunity to watch the video, and first let me say that this is the coolest stock craft ever. Because, damn.:cool:

Thoughts on the aircraft: Is that one turbojet in the centerline of the aircraft really there? Does the part directly behind it overheat?

Is there a version of this aircraft that I can use to land VTOL style on planets with no atmosphere? I mean this thing looks like more fun than a barrel of monkeys on acid on planets like Laythe, but what if I want to use it to ferry fuel from Mün to my orbiting fuel station in local Kerbin space? Yes. I could probably make the switch from that one center jet to an aerospike, but still. I might screw up the balance, and to take that away from a masterpiece such as this is wrong.

Lastly, If I wanted to split hairs, that looked more like a VTSL (Vertical Takeoff, Short Landing) to me.:wink:

Yes, that is indeed the turbojet in the middle, it doesn't damage anything even at full thrust :)

I have a version that uses aerospikes for vacuum VTOL. I tested it for it's SSTO capabilities because of the increased weight, and it ends up in orbit with a fair bit of fuel left. Around 560 units of fuel.

screenshot124.png

screenshot125.png

screenshot126.png

screenshot127.png

Using the VTOL engines in a vacuum is indeed viable. The original placing of the jet VTOL engines run directly through the center of mass. Therefore any changes, like changing engines or adding pods on these attachment points makes it easy because it doesn't shift the center of mass.

For testing purposes, I've enabled infinite fuel to get into a Munar orbit. You can use either the LV-909 engines, or the aerospike engines. Either one runs through the center of mass, the only difference is where you choose the control to be from. The docking port on the top is directly in line with the VTOL aerospikes.

screenshot128.png

Because there is no air in space to affect the lift and balance of the wings, the ship can be controlled from the docking port and the plane controlled exactly like a standard lunar lander.

screenshot129.png

It balances perfectly for a descent and lands comfortably.

screenshot130.png

screenshot131.png

screenshot132.png

My conclusion is that gimballing engines are not important for this ship because of it's small size and the torque that enables it to change pitch and yaw quickly in a vacuum. You can make these simple changes yourself, or if you would like, I'll upload my version by request. :)

Well, those are my concerns addressed. When you release the Kethane rig Imma have to snag it!

I love how your signature is 4 times bigger than your post. :D

My current Kethane plane is designed for atmospheric flights because it just barely makes orbit because of it's weight. If you want a design for vacuum landings, I'll do a re-design. It might take a while :) Most likely I will remove the command pods and make it a single seater craft to save on weight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.