Amphibious VTOLSSTO (Image heavy)

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to comments this, if only to get enough posts to be able to re-create my old threads. And because this thing is still cool as boop, too.

Rune. A minute of silence for all the cool stuff we will never get back.

I agree. Remember those awesome rovers that looked like cars? *sobs*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi! I have another problem. Well it's not a problem but how do I land with the vertical engines? I can't slow enough to land. Oh and also I dunno how to land on water too... Imma noob...

When you're ready to begin your final approach, hit the hover engines and turn off the lateral engines. The hover engines will take over the job of keeping you airborne, so you won't have to rely on speed to keep you up.

Tilt the ship back to kill forward momentum (watch your speedometer), then go horizontal again and use throttle to start descending. One you're in "hover mode", any angle away from straight down will make the ship "slide" like a helicopter. It's a balancing act, but once you start thinking of it like a helicopter, landings get a lot easier. :)

I usually take the slow roll approach to landings instead of trying for a straight-down hover touchdown, because control is extremely twitchy on this little bird.

Sorry if someone already asked, this, but how does it work on Duna? I thought atmospheric engines didn't work on Duna.

They don't, which is why my modded version has aerospikes clipped in with the hover jets. Lateral flight on Duna is done with upgraded rear rockets.

It's got a sizable fleet of vessels to support it getting to other planets, but once it's there, it's all good. :D

• 1 month later...
Love this craft!

However is this still functional in .23? the final downloaded file has some fuel lines that are detached and whatnot. Is there an updated version?

As per request, I've made an updated version for 0.23. I've fixed the fuel lines being broken in the transfer between versions and I've also rebalanced the VTOL engines a bit to account for the change in SAS weights in the new version. It also balances better horizontally when thrusting in space with the LV-909's.

The ascent profile is still the same.

Although I do have to say that since the 0.23 update, engine flameouts (in other planes) are not as severe as it was before, so having the inline jet engines in the VTOLSSTO might not be necessary anymore.

screenshot8.png

screenshot9.png

screenshot10.png

Amphibious VTOLSSTO for 0.23

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Levelord,

This is a great craft and easy to fly, even by an amateur like myself. Plus it has great aesthetics, stability, and the ability land on water. I hope to take this craft to Laythe in the future and utilize it as an exploration vessel. I have no doubt it will excel in that role.

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.