[AAR] Outreach Colony: The home on Duna.

RogueMason

This seriously needs a sequel, once it is finished.

I have plans. Of course, I'll see how the mission plays out in-game before posting anything here, in case something goes wrong. It's a bit of a complicated mission in which I hope to tie up a few loose ends...

CHAPTER 17: KERBIN -- PART 2

Ep7lFVLl.png

Lengas: "Callisto, this is Hawk 12, do you read?"

Dilcott: "Hawk 12, I read you. Begin final approach, Lengas."

Lengas: "Copy that."

eVF3KNPl.png

UN5ofohl.png

30 minutes later...

LX5mXTIl.png

Lengas: "Control, this is Hawk 12. The Callisto and I are side by side, over."

KSC: "Copy that, maintain formation. No doubt this thing will want to remove any threat before it begins its 'dissolution', so it should, logically, come for you first."

Dilcott: "Not entirely reassuring there, control, but I assume that comes with your good faith in us!"

KSC: "Oh absolutely. We wouldn't have anyone else in those warships."

Lengas: "Thanks control. Anyway, what should we be exploiting on this thing?"

KSC: "Information collected by the Libra suggests that the ventral hull is less armoured than the rest, but it also has an engine port that could be exploited to ignite the fuel internally. Of course, just shooting on sight may well do it."

Lengas: "Well, just shooting on sight is probably what we'll be reduced to, but we'll bring this thing down."

KSC: "I hope so, Lengas. Control out."

Dilcott: "Just us?"

Lengas: "Control didn't have enough time to prepare any more fighters. So yeah, just us, but at least it's two against one and they're using our technology. I'd say that gives us an edge."

Dilcott: "True. I just hope we'll be able to pull this stunt off without problem."

Lengas: "We'll do it Dilcott, we'll do it."

Meanwhile...

KR5JUL7l.png

Unknown: "They have 2 warships in a low orbit that will no doubt move to intercept your unit if left unchecked. Remove them."

Mechani-Kraken: "With all due haste."

VL7myMTl.png

KSC: "Callisto, Hawk, the Kraken just began aerobraking. We estimate just over an hour before it reaches you."

Lengas: "Copy that, control"

MdRYKCdl.png

M350alvl.png

Mechani-Kraken: "Intercept course established."

1 hour later...

NLFT5PIl.png

Lengas: "Vessel approaching. I'll maintain position and move in once you engage the target."

Dilcott: "Copy that, Lengas. With a little luck, we'll overwhelm it."

Lengas: "Try some raw firepower over luck, that tends to work better."

Dilcott: "You know, for Kerbonauts that signed up for exploration, we make pretty good warship pilots, you especially!"

Lengas: "I guess so, but I hope for not much longer. Good luck."

Dilcott: "You too."

o9Pwz97l.png

Dilcott: "Target in range, opening fire!"

OteTEHXl.png

Mechani-Kraken: "Minor damage sustained."

Unknown: "Destroy it."

Mechani-Kraken: "Without hesitation."

*Kraken fires, NERVA engines on Callisto hit, reactors meltdown*

IS1eYqYl.png

Dilcott: "AAAAAGGGHH --------"

Lengas: "DILCOTT! NO!"

KSC: "Mother of Kerbin. Lengas, get out of there!"

Lengas: "Negative control, I'm moving to engage!"

Lemburry: "Lengas, divert all power to your lasers, and target that area the Callisto hit; there's a fuel leak if our sensors are correct, and that should do the trick!

Lengas: "Copy that Libra!"

Ir0zGAFl.png

*Kraken hits sensors and navigational computer on Hawk*

Lengas: "Damn it, nav computer is gone! Sensors failing!"

KSC: "Pull out, Lengas, get out of there!"

Lengas: "Negative control, I've got this!"

Mechani-Kraken: "Your fight is hopeless. Your frigate was unable to destroy this unit. What chance does a small fighter have against us?"

Lengas: "More than you realise, you extraterrestrial scum!"

*Pulls trigger, targeting damaged section of Kraken.*

IjpNXwYl.png

*Leaking fuel ignites, rapid internal explosion*

NtoNXBhl.png

*Shockwave impacts Hawk, reducing trajectory to sub-orbital*

Lengas: "AGH! Everything is gone! I'm going down!"

KSC: "Lengas, eject!"

Lengas: "Negative, I can still land this thing!"

KSC: "You fool! Eject now!"

lqWQFI0l.png

Lengas: "Structure is nearing critical strain, but I'm almost through this!"

KSC: "Damn it Lengas! EJECT!"

Gmp2nCul.jpg

Lengas: "'Chutes deployed, I'm going down safely!"

KSC: "That was one hell of a risk you took there, Lengas. I'd expect something like that from Jeb, but you?!"

Lengas: "Hawk fighters are resilient ships. I knew I'd make it, even with my ship being crippled."

KSC: "That is no excuse."

TRLtT0Wl.png

Lengas: "Control, I'm on the ground."

KSC: "We're sending recovery vehicles, they'll be there within the hour. Just don't do anything crazy, ok?"

Lengas: "Copy that, control."

30 minutes earlier, in a higher orbit...

b0utknjl.png

Lemburry: "Control, this is Lemburry, I'm assuming that massive blue flash is the Kraken?"

KSC: "One moment Libra. Lengas, eject!"

Shepdon: "Lengas? What's wrong with him?"

Halemone: "I don't know, but that was a pretty big explosion."

Shepdon: "I hope he didn't meet the same fate as Dilcott..."

KSC: "Forgive that pause Libra, Lengas just destroyed the Kraken but was knocked out onto a sub-orbital trajectory with a crippled fighter. We've got to track him, so half the guys went off to help with that."

Lemburry: "So that thing is gone? We defeated it?"

KSC: "Yes, it's gone now. We're safe."

Lemburry: "That played out a lot faster than I thought it would. But Dilcott..."

KSC: "Dilcott helped to save the rest of our spacefaring community. He's a hero and shall be decorated as such. The crew of the Zodiac also helped in their own way, and their information wouldn't have been found without your efforts, Libra. You too deserve decoration, and decoration you shall receive."

Lemburry: "Thank you control, but I don't think we deserve a reward for carrying out orders."

KSC: "You're lowering yourself. You warned us all about the threat, and gathered information that was pivotal to our survival. I'd say that's worthy of some high praise. Oh, and so you can't argue, control out."

Halemone: "What's the bet that the materials from the Zodiac that the Kraken scavenged were still in poor condition after being recovered?"

Lemburry: "I was just thinking that. Maybe that thing wasn't expecting a fight, so it just decided to leave its hull in poor condition. After all, that unit wasn't organic in the slightest, therefore didn't need protection from space."

Shepdon: "Does it matter? We beat it, against all odds."

Halemone: "But we lost Dilcott in the process, and potentially Lengas at this rate."

Shepdon: "True, and that is disheartening... *Receiver crackles* Hold on, incoming transmission from the Kerbin Orbital Outpost. They say they have a free docking port for us, and have repair teams standing by."

Halemone: "I knew they'd pull through for us! The engines will get us there, no problem; the Libra is a tough old ship, after all."

Lemburry: "Well then, onwards to the space station. Eve will have to wait for now; I think we deserve a bit of a rest from this whole ordeal... "

FUN FACT: That battle scene played out a lot shorter than I'd intended, because the game decided to keep the Kraken's lasers firing at the Callisto even after I'd released the button, thus destroying the Callisto without it firing an in-game shot. So if you think the battle is anti-climactic, you're not alone :P

Why did they mention Eve? Are you going to be landing a colony there too?

They mentioned Eve because they mentioned it quite a bit earlier in the story. Here and here, in fact :)

FUN FACT: That battle scene played out a lot shorter than I'd intended, because the game decided to keep the Kraken's lasers firing at the Callisto even after I'd released the button, thus destroying the Callisto without it firing an in-game shot. So if you think the battle is anti-climactic, you're not alone :P

They mentioned Eve because they mentioned it quite a bit earlier in the story. Here and here, in fact :)

I see. Thought it was going to be something else entirely. But, who were the people giving the Mechani-Kraken orders? We shall see.......

EPILOGUE

6 months later, in a bar on Kerbin...

KIN Reporter: "The relatively recent events in low orbit of our planet, suggestive of extraterrestrial life, had been labelled as a hoax by many conspiracy theorists around the world several hours after the occurence. However, the Space Program assures us that it has gathered the evidence over the last few months to prove these theorists wrong. On the other hand, this evidence is top secret as military action was involved, and so must remain unknown by the wider community for the forseeable future. The only information released from this case was the confirmed KIA; 3 from a scientific vessel that crashed on Ike over a year and a half ago now, and 1 more from the events in orbit. The memorial services have already proceeded for all 4 deceased. The confirmed KIA's have certainly dealt a blow to the ideas of the conspiracy theorists however, and it's only a matter of time before the truth comes out. In other news..."

Lemburry: "Conspiracy theorists, eh? They just never give up. Every opportunity that arises is gobbled up whole by their entire society!"

Jeb: "I know. They all thought my first-Kerbal-on-Mun mission was a hoax, but we did prove them wrong with the samples and information we returned!"

Lemburry: "I just hope the truth emerges about the whole mess. After all, it was a threat to essentially our entire existence."

Shepdon: "But we can't just go out and say an alien force we presumed long gone just reappeared to wreak its revenge on us. People will think we're absolutely off our rockers!"

Bill: "Well, one things for sure, this drink has me off my rocker!"

Halemone: "Uh, yeah, which explains why you attacked the doorknob on the way into the toilets before."

Bill: "Hehehe..."

Bob: "Man, that was embarrassing, not just for you, but for me too! Did you see those girls laughing at us?"

Bill: "Ladies? Where...?"

Bob: "Nevermind..."

Shepdon: Anyway, I propose a toast; to the Zodiac and the Callisto."

Everyone: "To the Zodiac and the Callisto!"

*Clatter of glasses*

Jeb: "Anyone for more drinks?"

Lemburry: "Hey, you paid for the last round, I think it's my turn to treat you to a drink."

--------------------------------------------------

Lengun: "So, Fertbert, fancy a drink?"

Fertbert: "We didn't bring anything alcoholic to Duna with us, did we?"

Lengun: "We didn't, but Pod 2 has distilling equipment as part of its chemistry setup, so I did a bit of work, looked up some recipes, and made some Great Desert Wine. So, fancy a drink?"

Fertbert: "Go on then, but just a small amount; GDW is strong stuff...

Chadsy: "Do I hear you talking about alcohol in there, you two? Save some for us if you have any!"

Hanlin: "You're a bunch of alcoholics, the lot of you. Away from Kerbin for a little over a year and you start setting up a brewery in the base..."

Fertbert: "Just because you had a bad experience with Jeb and his 'Rocket Fuel Cocktail'... then again, I think we've all had a bad experience with that stuff..."

Lengun: "Anyway, if any of you lot want any, just grab a glass and get some. I'm toasting Outreach and the ingenuity of the engineers who built this new home for us."

Fertbert: "Over a year since we set off, and we're only just toasting them?"

Lengun: "Do you have any idea how long it takes to make enough GDW for 22 Kerbals? I started it 7 months ago as a side project!"

Fertbert: "Oh, fair enough. So, to Outreach and the engineers who made it possible!"

Philvis: "Maybe not the engineers; they did forget the sound proofing in the pods for the burns with the NERVA engines!"

Fertbert: "I miss those engines..."

Lengun: "Maybe you'll see some again another day, if control sends a transfer ship our way."

Fertbert: "Nah, I'm not that bothered, really. I'm on Duna with some good friends, paving the way to the colonisation of the rest of the system. I'm happy here."

Lengun: "And so you should be. Now come on, drink your wine! You need a rest from all the work you've been doing."

Fertbert: "I guess so Lengun. I guess so..."

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHutcR-wWf4

Outreach Colony has been an overwhelming success. From the beginning, there has been uncertainty; building the colony base, transporting the most Kerbals ever on an interplanetary voyage, and landing successfully on a neighbouring world with one of the most unconventional designs ever conceived. It all seemed like an impossible task. But the colony exists on the surface of Duna, having landed without trouble or effort, safely carrying all who now call it home to the ground. The mission has achieved all that it set out to achieve, and more. It helped uncover clues that ultimately led to our victory over an unknown threat. Of course, there is no forgetting everyone else involved with the mission; the Libra, commanded by Lemburry Kerman, was pivotal in linking Kerbin and Duna, as well as discovering the fate of the Zodiac and warning the rest of our spacefaring community about an imminent danger. The Beluga; commanded by Jebediah Kerman, was pivotal in helping the Libra in their time of need. The Callisto, commanded by Dilcott Kerman; was pivotal in the destruction of the most unusual threat to date. All of these people, ships, and events have helped many to see that there is more out there than just our third rock from the Sun. There's an entire galaxy just waiting for us beyond the edges of our little system, and when we can, we'll fly to the stars, just as we have always wished.

qq2ODVNl.png

Edited by RogueMason

Thanks to everyone who has sung their praise of my little story, it's very much appreciated :)

I'll let you all know that my latest, and by far my most ambitious project as of yet, is well under way. So far, it looks like story material but disaster could strike at any moment. Let's hope that I pull through :P

ANNOUNCEMENT

An old challenge has been the bane of the Space Program's existence for as long as the planets have been known. Now, Jeb and his crew will face down this challenge in the single most ambitious mission undertaken thus far.

Jeb.

Bill.

Bob.

Lengas.

Jool.

2ctRX2B.jpg

Odysseus: Voyage to Jool

-COMING SOON-

ANNOUNCEMENT

An old challenge has been the bane of the Space Program's existence for as long as the planets have been known. Now, Jeb and his crew will face down this challenge in the single most ambitious mission undertaken thus far.

Jeb.

Bill.

Bob.

Lengas.

Jool.

2ctRX2B.jpg

-COMING SOON-

I hate to say this but "ARM THE BEEPING SHIP this time" you never know what's out there but if you can't arm the ship dock some fighter drones to it

LOL, yeah after reading this I thought I must arm my constructs against the unknown!

Btw it was bugging me that you don't have a centrifuge for interplanetary travel, just saying.

CENTRIFUGES ARE FOR THE WEAK :P

But I may get one for future missions anyway, just because it would look cool. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit the style of the ship used in Voyage to Jool, so it may be a little while before you see anything of mine using a centrifuge.

Edited by RogueMason

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.