[0.23.5] KerbCam v0.13 (camera pathing tool for videos)

huin

Feature/priorities wishlist - where should I spend my (limited) time next on KerbCam?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Feature/priorities wishlist - where should I spend my (limited) time next on KerbCam?

• Tutorial video (volunteer creators welcome)
    • Control camera on IVA
    • Control camera on map
    • Refactor GUI (the GUI is painfully arranged and needs to be rearranged)
    • Experiment with ideas
    • Clean up bugs/papercuts
    • Other, post below.

A couple days ago when I downloaded Kerbcam, it worked just fine. Now, however, when I press F8, nothing happens. I first restarted, then reinstalled Kerbcam, and then I came here to see if there was a soultion or to post about it. I saw the command line you gave, and I put it into a text file in the KSP directory (I’m guessing you mean inside the Kerbcam folder, right?). I then changed the in-game keybinding of F8 to another key, and restarted the game. However, it is still broken.

What do I do now?

A couple days ago when I downloaded Kerbcam, it worked just fine. Now, however, when I press F8, nothing happens. I first restarted, then reinstalled Kerbcam, and then I came here to see if there was a soultion or to post about it. I saw the command line you gave, and I put it into a text file in the KSP directory (I’m guessing you mean inside the Kerbcam folder, right?). I then changed the in-game keybinding of F8 to another key, and restarted the game. However, it is still broken.

What do I do now?

Replied to you on the issue you raised on Github: https://github.com/huin/kerbcam/issues/6

To content creators using Kerbcam:

As a general comment (as the creator of the plugin), I'm somewhat worried that the 0.23 release might break the current version of Kerbcam, given some things that Harvester has said about changes in the camera system in KSP. Time-permitting, I will be attempting to fix Kerbcam accordingly, but be warned: it'll depend on my free-time availability around the time of release, and what changes will be required.

Of course, things might not break, and I'll be interested in reports either way, especially with clear steps to reproduce problems, and what the actual versus expected behaviours are.

Edit: So 0.23 has been released, and the timing is unfortunate, as today was the last day I could conceivably work on (or even test) Kerbcam for at least a week - I hope it's working :/

Edited by huin

Help I need somebody: My kerbCam will not appear when i press F8 does anyone know how to fix this?

Weird, that's the second time I've had that report in the last week. Last time it was resolved by deleting the kerbcam.cfg file to reset its settings.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this last week (still 0.22) and I must say it is pretty nice. The only thing is that framerates might sometimes be a little low to get nice, smooth pans. I realise that this is not the fault of KerbCam, but are there any tricks to improve this?

I remember there used to be a mod that would allow you to run KSP at half speed. Something like that combined with KerbCam, speeding things up in postproduction could double the (apparent) framerates. I do not think that mods still functions though.

just tested it quickly, seems to work in .23, at least it came up with F8 (no icon to see anywhere to activate it with the mouse) and i could make a simple path that worked.

Excellent, thanks, that's good news! I haven't had time to test it - but it's good to know that the basics still work at the very least.

just tested it quickly, seems to work in .23, at least it came up with F8 (no icon to see anywhere to activate it with the mouse) and i could make a simple path that worked.

Ya it's still working in .23 for me as well as I just finished making a video using it :D

I absolutely love this mod. However, I would like to see one thing, and I don't think it would be extremely hard to implement: Have the option to play from a key. For example: I have 4 keys. When I press "Play," it starts from key 1. I would like it so that I can select key 2, 3, etc. and then press a button "Play from Key" and have it play from that key.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't get the KerbCam window to display. I had a very bad computer lock-up recently that corrupted my KSP install and I've been slowly piecing things back together ever since. KerbCam worked fine until after the crash, and although I deleted the folder and downloaded a fresh install it still doesn't want to show up. Here's what I found in the KSP.log file:

[WRN 03:44:53.630] File 'kerbcam.cfg' does not exist
[WRN 03:44:53.630] KerbCam could not load its configuration. This is okay if one has not been saved yet.
[ERR 03:44:53.631] Error: Empty part config file
[ERR 03:44:53.632] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ConfigNode.RecurseFormat (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 cfg, System.Int32& index, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.RecurseFormat (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 cfg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.Load (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbCam.State.LoadPaths () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbCam.KerbCam.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

If anyone can give me a config file to put in place myself we'll see if that solves it

I can't get the KerbCam window to display. I had a very bad computer lock-up recently that corrupted my KSP install and I've been slowly piecing things back together ever since. KerbCam worked fine until after the crash, and although I deleted the folder and downloaded a fresh install it still doesn't want to show up. Here's what I found in the KSP.log file:

[WRN 03:44:53.630] File 'kerbcam.cfg' does not exist
[WRN 03:44:53.630] KerbCam could not load its configuration. This is okay if one has not been saved yet.
[ERR 03:44:53.631] Error: Empty part config file
[ERR 03:44:53.632] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ConfigNode.RecurseFormat (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 cfg, System.Int32& index, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.RecurseFormat (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 cfg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ConfigNode.Load (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbCam.State.LoadPaths () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbCam.KerbCam.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

If anyone can give me a config file to put in place myself we'll see if that solves it

That error looks like it's from KSP's code in trying to parse kerbcam-paths.cfg. Try deleting/renaming that file to see if it works.

Cheers, that did it. The file was empty so I didn't think to bother deleting it

Curious... I wouldn't expect a blank file to cause a parse error, but I don't know what Squad's parsing code looks like. (that file is loaded and parsed by KSP's part/savegame library)

Edit: Also, thanks for pasting the stack trace from the logs. That let me see the problem right away, and I didn't even have to guess. That's always a helpful level of detail from a problem report.

• 1 month later...
Damn, i wanted to start editing my new cinematic today and when i installed KerbCam it crashes on startup, after the loading initial screen. Any ideas?

Can you check in KSP.log for anything that looks odd? Especially towards the end of the file. (failing that, maybe post the whole thing to a paste bin)

• 5 weeks later...

You know.... You may want to provide actual instructions on your page -_-. You don't even give installation instructions for those who've never installed mods before.

Fix these problems and maybe more people can figure out how to install mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.