[0.23.5] KerbCam v0.13 (camera pathing tool for videos)

huin

Feature/priorities wishlist - where should I spend my (limited) time next on KerbCam?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Feature/priorities wishlist - where should I spend my (limited) time next on KerbCam?

• Tutorial video (volunteer creators welcome)
    • Control camera on IVA
    • Control camera on map
    • Refactor GUI (the GUI is painfully arranged and needs to be rearranged)
    • Experiment with ideas
    • Clean up bugs/papercuts
    • Other, post below.

KerbCam on Curse

Note that Camera Tools will likely cover many of the features of KerbCam and more, and will probably see more love and time than I can spend on KerbCam.

Kerbcam2 WIP/RFC thread

Source code

License (BSD license)

Issues/feature requests

KerbCam guidebook on Google Docs

Google Drive for archived releases

This is a tool for those video makers who want just a bit more camera movement and orientation control.

Excellent tutorial video provided by Rureglathon:

Installation:

Unzip the ZIP file inside the GameData directory. This should create a "KerbCam" directory there (with a "Plugins" subdirectory).

Features:

• Keyed pathing and playback. Create and edit keys, each of which controls the orientation and position of the camera relative to the spacecraft at a given time on the path. Path playback attempts to smoothly interpolate from one point to the next.
  • 6-degrees-of-freedom camera controller. No longer be limited to camera positions that are simple rotations around the craft.
  • Path recording (and playback) and camera movement while paused. This is actually an accidental feature, but one that is very handy for preparatory recording of a path or taking a screenshot while a lot of action is going on. (suggest creating and selecting the new path before pausing to workaround a glitch for now). This should also allow for cool "bullet-time" like effects (albeit with the game paused rather than slowed down).
  • Keyframed linearly interpolated time slowdown/pausing. (bullet time effect)

Make more videos, with greater freedom than you ever had before.

Known to work with KSP 0.23.5.

Known issues:

• When installing KerbCam, including the source files apparently incurs a heavy framerate loss. It's unknown why this happens. Workaround: remove/don't install the Source directory (it's not required for KerbCam to work - future versions will be distributed without this).
  • When switching from map view to flight view while KerbCam is in control of the camera, the camera will jerk around a lot. Workaround: turn off camera control and then back on (unfortunately there isn't a game event for view changes, so this might have to be fixed by polling the camera manager).
  • Some laptops may have trouble pressing F8 to toggle the window, and are therefore unable to change the keybinding to anything else. Workaround: Make a text file inside your top-level KSP directory called "kerbcam.cfg" (use Notepad, or similar), copy/paste the following into it: (change F8 to a value from the Unity3d KeyCode reference.)
    KEY_BINDINGS
    {
    KEY_TOGGLE_WINDOW = F8
    }

2014/07/01 - version v0.13 released.

• Some internal changes to update the addon loading mechanism.
  • Minor change to the path timing interpolation that *might* reduce some juddering, but doesn't eliminate it.
  • Toolbar support (installed separately from the Toolbar forum thread).

2013/07/31 - version v0.12 released.

• Fixes bug that breaks camera when the watched vessel is destroyed/goes on rails.

2013/07/31 - version v0.11 released.

• Fixes bug with switching view breaking creation of path keys.

2013/07/29 - version v0.10 released.

• Fixes the scene change/staging problem.

2013/07/28 - version v0.9 released.

• Fixes for the "Relative to" feature.
  • Also fixes the drawn-path to move with the relative-to, and change its colour to white, which it always should have been.

2013/07/27 - version v0.8 released.

• Fix to work with KSP 0.21.1. (This also changes the code based on a better understanding of how camera transformations fit into the scene, this creates a slightly better codebase to work with)

2013/05/24 - version v0.7.1 released. (no code changes)

• Rearrange files inside zipfile to match new KSP v0.20 mod structure.

2013/05/02 - version v0.7 released. (minor bugfix only)

• Minor bug fix regarding GUI controls sizing.

2013/05/02 - version v0.6 released.

• Camera can move relative to vessels other than the active one.

2013/04/13 - version v0.5 released.

• Optional timescaling (i.e slow-motion), variable by key-frame.
  • Keybindings are now configurable.
  • Additional keybindings for the 6DoF camera. (none are set by default to avoid KerbCam making a land grab for too many keybindings that other mods might use, but I suggest binding the keypad if anything)
  • Some GUI tidyup.

2013/03/13 - version v0.4 released.

• Fix bug with viewing coincident path keys (which would break the rendering).

2013/03/10 - version v0.3 released.

• Fix bug when loading from quicksave or similar.

2013/03/10 - version v0.2 released.

• Camera control that places the camera with 6 degrees of freedom.
  • Playback time control slider, selects a point in the playback to start from, or jump to.
  • Internal refactoring.

2013/03/03 - version v0.1 released.

• First release of KerbCam.
  • Basic pathing support.

[*] Some laptops may have trouble pressing F8 to toggle the window

Edited by huin
Add link to kerbcam2 rfc thread

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, even though erveryone like streetlamp, and pleoborian is using this, 0 replies.

Lemme revive this thread.

The forum reset threw away a lot of replies from the original thread. I recreated my original post only from a Google cached version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you make it to where you can assign a key to gain/remove the camera control? Similar to how you can pan and translate with the keyboard. I often use them with the hud turned off and it kinda ruins it to have to turn on the hud to click the green button and hide the hud again

EDIT: I realize you can gain control by pressing any of the hud/pan keys, but I still would like to be able to turn it off using the keyboard

Edited by brians200

• 4 weeks later...

I've used it mostly for getting screenshots I couldn't normally get (currently I don't think my laptop could handle recording a video while playing KSP). Can't wait for the update, though honestly I haven't tried it since getting 0.21, so I don't know what problems it has ATM.

I've used it mostly for getting screenshots I couldn't normally get (currently I don't think my laptop could handle recording a video while playing KSP). Can't wait for the update, though honestly I haven't tried it since getting 0.21, so I don't know what problems it has ATM.

It doesn't load, it just doesn't show up. I need it though, the quality of my videos really depends on this mod :)

I can't wait for this to update to 0.21 :)

Updated! Sorry - I'm too knackered from computer-related stuff at work to do this during the weekday evenings. I hope this fixes it for you guys as well. Certainly it was broken for me due to a subtle but crucial internal change within KSP, and I seem to have nursed it back into health.

Updated! Sorry - I'm too knackered from computer-related stuff at work to do this during the weekday evenings. I hope this fixes it for you guys as well. Certainly it was broken for me due to a subtle but crucial internal change within KSP, and I seem to have nursed it back into health.

It works, thank you! You're amazing! :D

Although unfortunately it seems the ''Relative to'' function is broken, when I use it together with the camera controls it still follows the rocket itself.

Urg, thought I tested that... I'll have to make another pass.

Edit: Arg - confirmed. Working on this now.

Edit2: Fixed! New release coming shortly. From my commit: "Turns out that assigning to Transform.parent modifies the "local" relative-to-parent values in the child Transform in order to retain world position - this isn't always what I want."

Edited by huin
fixed bug

How do you start to record something? I can get the camera where I want it but when I set a new key I don't actually set it gives me some random numbers and symbols.

That's weird... So you create a new path, move the camera, press "new key", and it display random symbols and things? Could you post a screenshot?

Edited by huin

Awesome thanks! :) Now I can take screenshots from whatever angle I want...again, and the quality of SuestraGamings videos will be much better once again lol ;p Someday I'll build a new desktop and then maybe I can make videos too. :)

There, 0.9 is out! That should fix some more stuff.

And I just downloaded the previous one like an hour ago and hadn't had a chance to use it yet...lol :P

Thanks. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.