[1.12.x] Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.13.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

Started playing KSP again after about 6-9 month break. Been waiting for 1.12 to get patched and mods updated. Got about 50 hours played  so far.

After playing with both Kerbal Alarm Clock and Stock Alarm Clock:

Kerbal Alarm Clock is hands down the better implementation. So many little things are superior. 

Just 1 example of many:

When wanting to add a new alarm trigger for a maneuver node, Kerbal Alarm Clock only takes 2 clicks and also appropriately names the alarm trigger and without anymore clicks allows jumping back to the ship in the future.

Kudos Trigger (dev) for Kerbal Alarm Clock! Thank you.

Hello, I'm having a problem in 1.12 with KSRSS 2.5x and Kronometer where Kerbal Alarm Clock uses stock KSP time (6hr days, 426 day years) instead of the time system set by Kronometer (12hr days, 354 day years.) I haven't had this issue playing in previous versions so I don't know what's causing it now. The KSP time indicator (like next to the warp indicator) works fine and shows the time normally. Sorry if there's any information I forgot to add.

Here's my Kronometer config if it helps:

Spoiler

@Kronometer:FINAL
{
    %useHomeDay = true
    %useHomeYear = true
    %useLeapYears = true
    %resetMonthNumAfterMonths = 12
    %resetMonthsAfterYears = 1
    !DisplayDate,* {}
    !Months,* {}

DisplayDate
    {
        PrintDate
        {
            offsetTime = 0
            offsetDay = 1
            offsetYear = 1971
            displayDate = <Dm><Dmth> <Mo1>, <Y>
            displayTime = < - <H:00>:<M:00>
            displaySeconds = :<S:00>
        }

PrintDateNew
        {
            offsetTime = 0
            offsetDay = 1
            offsetYear = 1971
        }

PrintDateCompact
        {
            offsetTime = 0
            offsetDay = 1
            offsetYear = 1971
        }
    }
    Months
    {
        Month
        {
            name = January
            symbol = Jan
            days  = 31
        }
        Month
        {
            name = February
            symbol = Feb
            days  = 28
        }
        Month
        {
            name = March
            symbol = Mar
            days  = 31
        }
        Month
        {
            name = April
            symbol = Apr
            days  = 30
        }
        Month
        {
            name = May
            symbol = May
            days  = 31
        }
        Month
        {
            name = June
            symbol = Jun
            days  = 30
        }
        Month
        {
            name = July
            symbol = Jul
            days  = 31
        }
        Month
        {
            name = August
            symbol = Aug
            days  = 31
        }
        Month
        {
            name = September
            symbol = Sep
            days  = 30
        }
        Month
        {
            name = October
            symbol = Oct
            days  = 31
        }
        Month
        {
            name = November
            symbol = Nov
            days  = 30
        }
        Month
        {
            name = December
            symbol = Dec
            days  = 20
        }
    }
}

• 3 months later...

The last time I played KSP was with version 1.6.1 back in 2019, but now I had the urge to play KSP, so here I am. I saw that the game now has a stock implementation of an alarm clock. I gave it a go, but it's bad. I had the following problems with the stock alarm clock:

1. it gave me the wrong transfer window for Kerbin -> Eve. When I got there, Eve was something like 120 degrees behind me. All that time wasted.

2. While doing warps, sometimes, my orbit would be changed. I lost hundreds of meters of dV this way. Quickload, more time wasted.

3. It failed to stop during alarms set for maneuvers. So I ended up crashing as I time-warped through the maneuver.

So instead, I installed Kerbal Alarm Clock. It works perfectly in 1.12.3. I also appreciate:

1. the vibrant colors

2. how it's gentle with warps

3. it doesn't waste my time.

Thank you to TriggerAU for this amazing mod. I do have a question, though: is it possible to hide the stock alarm clock? It's wasted space on my screen.

11 hours ago, minkar81002 said:

The last time I played KSP was with version 1.6.1 back in 2019, but now I had the urge to play KSP, so here I am. I saw that the game now has a stock implementation of an alarm clock. I gave it a go, but it's bad. I had the following problems with the stock alarm clock:

1. it gave me the wrong transfer window for Kerbin -> Eve. When I got there, Eve was something like 120 degrees behind me. All that time wasted.

2. While doing warps, sometimes, my orbit would be changed. I lost hundreds of meters of dV this way. Quickload, more time wasted.

3. It failed to stop during alarms set for maneuvers. So I ended up crashing as I time-warped through the maneuver.

So instead, I installed Kerbal Alarm Clock. It works perfectly in 1.12.3. I also appreciate:

1. the vibrant colors

2. how it's gentle with warps

3. it doesn't waste my time.

Thank you to TriggerAU for this amazing mod. I do have a question, though: is it possible to hide the stock alarm clock? It's wasted space on my screen.

I would add to this that I've gotten sporadic situation where my maneuver node is not preserved, I think when I switch craft via the stock alarm clock window.  I'm not certain of the specifics but am certain it is tied to the stock alarm clock

I would note a lot of the bugs with the stock alarm clock are due to it not respecting some mod variables.

I still think this alarm clock is better/more reliable but if you want to use the stock one, I believe KSPCommunityFixes addresses at least a few of it's bugs.

On 3/4/2022 at 11:30 PM, minkar81002 said:

It is possible to hide it but I think it requires changes to the stock code, unsure if KAC wants to go that route.  Maybe KSPCommunityFixes would be willing to add that as an option (hiding the stock alarm clock).  I'd ask them as they do those kind of mods for "QOL" fixes regularly.

47 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I still think this alarm clock is better/more reliable but if you want to use the stock one, I believe KSPCommunityFixes addresses at least a few of it's bugs.

Also, there is 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found an issue: changing the UI scale messes with the input lock area on the main KAC window. Looks like it's similar to the warp-to map buttons moving with UI scale changes too.

Posted details on the github, but wanted to let people know if they had random areas of the screen disable control of their craft when the cursor was over it, you can fix by changing to 100% KSP UI scale, or just closing the KAC window. Playing with 100% also fixes the warp-to icon positions too.

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2022 at 8:11 PM, Rodger said:

Found an issue: changing the UI scale messes with the input lock area on the main KAC window. Looks like it's similar to the warp-to map buttons moving with UI scale changes too.

Oh, dear... flashbacks to crashing into the surface due to KAC having inverted mouse coordinates for its input blocker and my mouse being over such a random spot and not being able to modify my throttle on time.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like a pretty common issue that some modder builds a tool like this that is so very useful but also quite complex, and then Squad decides to hire the modder to build a stock implementation. Usually the new stock version is simpler and often a bit more robust. But in the process of simplifying the stock version, it necessarily loses some of the functionality of the mod.

I've recently been using the stock one, and it works OK. I find that I miss the lab science timer, though.

• 3 months later...

Haven't played in a long time. Updated to KSP v1.12.3, plus Breaking Ground v1.7.1, and added KAC (along with ModuleManager, HullCameraVDS, and ScanSAT)... all of which I rely heavily on.

A minor issue I'm having, KAC seems to only want to show me 1 alarm even when I've got multiple set.  I have to scroll the window to see the rest, 1 line at a time.  I can't find any way to expand the window, unless I'm missing something, I thought it did it by default and only began scrolling after display 10 or more lines (or something like that).  No, I do not have it set to just show the current vessel.  Any ideas?

I know this thread is old.  Sorry.  Where else to go?

• 2 months later...

@TriggerAu I just got a 4K (2160x3840) monitor and now the second panel (settings or alarm details page) always goes to the right of the main panel, even if it goes off the screen. On my smaller monitor, it would automatically switch to the left side. KAC v3.14.0.0 and KSP 1.12.3.

UPDATE: this is related to the stock UI Scale setting. Left/ right automatic switching works at 100% scale but not 160%

@LordFerret I hope you found this already...  in Settings > general... "max alarms before scrolling the list" I have it set to 15. Maybe you have is set to 1? If not then there's a "double caret" button at the top of the window to minimize/ maximize the list. 

Edited by Krazy1
update

On 1/15/2023 at 1:41 AM, Krazy1 said:

I hope you found this already...  in Settings > general... "max alarms before scrolling the list" I have it set to 15. Maybe you have is set to 1? If not then there's a "double caret" button at the top of the window to minimize/ maximize the list. 

That did not occur to me, so I'll go take a look.  It's likely set to '1' as the double caret doesn't expand it further.  Thanks!

• 3 months later...

So I tried the stock alarm out in a heavily modded game. It just doesn't hold up... I would set SOI alarms and it would blow right through them. Would have to set manual alarms. Just feels clunky compared to KAC:)

5 minutes ago, Nori said:

So I tried the stock alarm out in a heavily modded game. It just doesn't hold up... I would set SOI alarms and it would blow right through them. Would have to set manual alarms. Just feels clunky compared to KAC:)

The stock alarm clock is defeatured compared to the mod, but I've not found it to "blow right through" properly set alarms or anything like that.

Just now, mikegarrison said:

The stock alarm clock is defeatured compared to the mod, but I've not found it to "blow right through" properly set alarms or anything like that.

I've had it happen a fair few times. Note I am using a planetpack that is 2.7x sized. I will setup a alarm for SOI, it will be days in the future, will fast forward and before I know it, the SOI past and there is a alarm for the escape SOI. Happened enough that I started setting manual alarms, which did not have this issue.

2 minutes ago, Nori said:

I've had it happen a fair few times. Note I am using a planetpack that is 2.7x sized. I will setup a alarm for SOI, it will be days in the future, will fast forward and before I know it, the SOI past and there is a alarm for the escape SOI. Happened enough that I started setting manual alarms, which did not have this issue.

Hmm. Well, YMMV, and I'm using the stock Kerbal system. I also just use the keyboard buttons to timewarp (or Mechjeb, but if I use MechJeb it's because I'm not setting an alarm). I've not had the alarm clock fail to stop a manual timewarp when it was supposed to.

7 hours ago, Nori said:

I haven't narrowed down the particulars, but when I switch back to a craft via a maneuver alarm sometimes the node is no longer in existence.  I know I created it as I created the maneuver alarm around it.  Like 1 in 10 this happens

7 hours ago, Nori said:

If you are running kOS be aware that typing any  warp hotkeys into the kOS terminal while warping will pass through and affect warp.  So typing "." into the terminal will bump up warp rate and go from auto warp to manual warp, so it won't stop until you manually stop it.  At least that is how is seems to behave

4 hours ago, darthgently said:

I haven't narrowed down the particulars, but when I switch back to a craft via a maneuver alarm sometimes the node is no longer in existence.  I know I created it as I created the maneuver alarm around it.  Like 1 in 10 this happens

If you are running kOS be aware that typing any  warp hotkeys into the kOS terminal while warping will pass through and affect warp.  So typing "." into the terminal will bump up warp rate and go from auto warp to manual warp, so it won't stop until you manually stop it.  At least that is how is seems to behave

Hmm, possibly related not sure.

I do have quite a few mods that affect time warp. I have mechjeb, time control, KCT (though I don't think that changes warp), so could just be some kind of conflict. The stock alarm isn't bad, I wish it didn't have these issues for me though..

1 hour ago, Nori said:

Hmm, possibly related not sure.

I do have quite a few mods that affect time warp. I have mechjeb, time control, KCT (though I don't think that changes warp), so could just be some kind of conflict. The stock alarm isn't bad, I wish it didn't have these issues for me though..

To be clear, wasn't implying maneuver node issues were related, just venting there.  But the kOS terminal key entry issue I thought might be.  Or another mod that passes a typed "." in its window through to KSP where it  increases warp.  Or more probably, KSP is reading the kbd at low level and not allow the mod to block it from doing so.  So maybe avoid typing any periods into any mod requestor during auto time warp unless you know that mod plays nice with KSP in this regard

Oh yeah,  all my alarm issues are with stock, not KAC, (just noticed forum is not KSP issues but KAC)