[1.12.x] Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.13.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

5 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

Someone on here asked how to turn off the warp-to buttons. I ask why does it even exist? It is really so hard to use KSP's warp-here gizmo?

They were added before KSP had the warp-here option. I was among those who asked for it, though I'm not sure if I asked in this thread or not. I was also one of the first to ask to turn it off when I accidentally clicked it for the 3rd time. :D

The problem with making KAC smaller is that everything you cut cuts out someone's favorite alarm type. You only want maneuver nodes. Others want sunrise/sunset, others really like Ap alarms and SOI changes. If I don't care about maneuver node alarms, are you cool with them being eliminated?

I would suggest you find the maneuver node alarm stuff in this code and pull it out and make a new mod out of it. I'm fairly sure many would use it. I personally wouldn't unless you added TWP integration and SOI alarms at the very least, but I won't complain if you don't.

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

They were added before KSP had the warp-here option. I was among those who asked for it, though I'm not sure if I asked in this thread or not. I was also one of the first to ask to turn it off when I accidentally clicked it for the 3rd time. :D

The problem with making KAC smaller is that everything you cut cuts out someone's favorite alarm type. You only want maneuver nodes. Others want sunrise/sunset, others really like Ap alarms and SOI changes. If I don't care about maneuver node alarms, are you cool with them being eliminated?

I would suggest you find the maneuver node alarm stuff in this code and pull it out and make a new mod out of it. I'm fairly sure many would use it. I personally wouldn't unless you added TWP integration and SOI alarms at the very least, but I won't complain if you don't.

That's my point. Stuff gets added. It doesn't get taken out. It gets turned off. It's still there occasionally tripping up KSP or someone else’s mod.

To be honest the number of bugs it throws it became the first thing to remove to find out what was causing the funkyness. Then one day I simply didn't install it again. I just looked at it again because I could use it's core feature.

AN and DN alarms.... why? Why not just drop a node and have a node alarm?

It was invented for the manoeuvre nodes. That is the core reason it was written in the first place. Since then it's become a programming exercise.

You want to take that out.. go ahead. Until it stops throwing exceptions I'll stick with the notepad and pencil.

4 hours ago, Daveroski said:

That's my point. Stuff gets added. It doesn't get taken out. It gets turned off. It's still there occasionally tripping up KSP or someone else’s mod.

To be honest the number of bugs it throws it became the first thing to remove to find out what was causing the funkyness. Then one day I simply didn't install it again. I just looked at it again because I could use it's core feature.

AN and DN alarms.... why? Why not just drop a node and have a node alarm?

It was invented for the manoeuvre nodes. That is the core reason it was written in the first place. Since then it's become a programming exercise.

You want to take that out.. go ahead. Until it stops throwing exceptions I'll stick with the notepad and pencil.

It was created to allow for Raw time alarms and prevent me having issues with SOI transition orbit problems. It is in no way a programming exercise as I have enough exercise already, but something I shared at request and grew as people asked for more to fill gaps in their game play. Ive considered a rearchitect of it to make it more modular, but that takes time and I'm sure to annoy any number of people when their alarm gets dropped.

I know there is an open bug in the latest version that I need to get pulled in and am trying to today, but having two jobs before modding slows me up - its not too bloated to maintain, its simply real life in my way.

If you can share the bugs that your having and the mods that are being tripped up by it I would appreciate that greatly, modders work together a lot to fix that sort of stuff.

11 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

It was created to allow for Raw time alarms and prevent me having issues with SOI transition orbit problems. It is in no way a programming exercise as I have enough exercise already, but something I shared at request and grew as people asked for more to fill gaps in their game play. Ive considered a rearchitect of it to make it more modular, but that takes time and I'm sure to annoy any number of people when their alarm gets dropped.

I know there is an open bug in the latest version that I need to get pulled in and am trying to today, but having two jobs before modding slows me up - its not too bloated to maintain, its simply real life in my way.

If you can share the bugs that your having and the mods that are being tripped up by it I would appreciate that greatly, modders work together a lot to fix that sort of stuff.

How about making a 'lite' version. Rip out everything but the Raw Time, Nodes and SOI's?

A lot of us actually like the idea of playing vanilla but feel that a basic alarm clock is severely lacking in KSP. I suspect that a 'lite' version of KAC would be the only mod that many players use. Some would also add your fabulous transfer planner probably myself included as this is another 'obvious' neglect of squad. When one considers the actual game objectives - To build vessels to go to other planets and moons - then an alarm clock and window planner are really the only things missing. With the possible exception of a way to make docking ports align for making larger vessels in orbit.
Extra parts and functions would then be gravy.
The problem with a lot of mods is that they make a succulent joint of meat and then drown it in gravy.

Now I'm getting hungry...

21 hours ago, blnk2007 said:

Doesn't look like it. 

Does anyone know how I can compile this. I am wondering if this is causing issues with Editor Extensions Redux?

KAC wasn't the issue. One of the mods I have deleted the x and c hotkeys from VAB.

P.S. I think KAC is great, even with it's many features.

Edited by blnk2007
P.S.

KAC does look a bit cluttered, but I've not had any stability issues (I'm on 1.2) and it's done everything I wanted it to do very well. It's usually the second mod I install, right after KER. In fact those two are the only mods I really consider indispensable. Any others are just nice to have.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh

1 hour ago, simonh said:

It's usually the second mod I install, right after KER.

I'm caught by surprise every time KSP updates.

Start playing, set a maneuver node, timewarp, wonder why it didn't stop before the node, then I remember that it's not stock functionality.

KAC does a lot more than I need it to do.  However, I'm sure there are things other people use that I don't, and things I use that other don't.  I'm quite happy to have it.

3 hours ago, razark said:

Start playing, set a maneuver node, timewarp, wonder why it didn't stop before the node, then I remember that it's not stock functionality.

But it is stock.

Warp to Manoeuvre will warp you to 1 minute before your node.

Just now, Daveroski said:

But it is stock.

That takes effort.

With KAC, it's simply place node, hit timewarp.  There's nothing else involved, no extra clicking, and it becomes expected behavior.

2 hours ago, Daveroski said:

1 hour ago, razark said:

That takes effort.

And patience. You don't get to decide what speed to warp, and the game always chooses a slower speed than I want. And if I speed up, it cancels the "warp to" aspect.

And you cant warp to other types of map nodes with the stock one - that's why I didn't remove the feature.

I've tried to keep the clutter to a minimum as things have been added, thus why the "quick add" option was made, if you just wanna jump to orbitnodes/mannodes you dont have to open the busier interface.

If theres something thats busted do let me know, but to remove features and make it modular would be a programming exercise at this point and need a bit more traction before I'd assign time to it

14 hours ago, Daveroski said:

How about making a 'lite' version. Rip out everything but the Raw Time, Nodes and SOI's?

A lot of us actually like the idea of playing vanilla but feel that a basic alarm clock is severely lacking in KSP. I suspect that a 'lite' version of KAC would be the only mod that many players use. Some would also add your fabulous transfer planner probably myself included as this is another 'obvious' neglect of squad. When one considers the actual game objectives - To build vessels to go to other planets and moons - then an alarm clock and window planner are really the only things missing. With the possible exception of a way to make docking ports align for making larger vessels in orbit.
Extra parts and functions would then be gravy.
The problem with a lot of mods is that they make a succulent joint of meat and then drown it in gravy.

Now I'm getting hungry...

There's a pair of mods that could approach "replacing" KAC in some aspects: Flight Plan (which creates a list-view of all upcoming node/soi/etc. events, and ManeuverQueue that shows upcoming maneuver timing in the tracking center view. I don't think either of these actively behaves as an alarm clock/pause utility, but the ability to check timings is there.

Edited by Beetlecat

11 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

There's a pair of mods that could approach "replacing" KAC in some aspects: Flight Plan (which creates a list-view of all upcoming node/soi/etc. events, and ManeuverQueue that shows upcoming maneuver timing in the tracking center view. I don't think either of these actively behaves as an alarm clock/pause utility, but the ability to check timings is there.

ManeuverQueue looks like it's going in the right direction. I'll certainly keep my eye on that one.  I'll have to look at Flight Plan.

In the end all I want from the mod is information in an easy to see display. A 'next node or SOI change' tiny window could be constantly displayed in flight mode so that the information is right there ALL the time. With the option to turn off the window if so desired.
Such a mod would be discrete and easy to maintain. Then if the developer makes bolt-ons to add functions, I would be able to download the functions I wanted and in doing so keep my KSP as uncluttered as possible. Which in turn would make it easier for me to identify and report on any problems. 'Keeping It Simple' used to be the order of the day. Is that too much to ask for from our most excellent mod developers?

Is KAC so complicated? I use it from the beginning and every new feature was welcomed, for me. I find KAC easy to find and incredibly useful, there are other mods that tends to clutter the game, is difficult for me to understand this battle against the features KSC provides.

4 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Is KAC so complicated? I use it from the beginning and every new feature was welcomed, for me. I find KAC easy to find and incredibly useful, there are other mods that tends to clutter the game, is difficult for me to understand this battle against the features KSC provides.

No. You misunderstand.

Not cluttered for me the user. Cluttered fro KSP the software. Cycles taken up gathering unwanted data, Making changes to how KSP works seen or unseen by the user yet different enough that another mod expecting to do something similar now has problems. That somewhere in the depths of KSP's millions of lines of code something breaks then finding what is broken and what broke it becomes an issue.

22 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

Is that too much to ask for from our most excellent mod developers?

Yes. It is. If you are unwilling to do it yourself, why should you expect another to do it for you?

Make the mod you want, or accept what's given to you for free. Is that too much to ask of the mod using community?

(To be clear, it's alright to ASK. But your continual insistence in the face of denial by the modder himself is quickly turning your "ask" into a "demand" which is not alright)

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Yes. It is. If you are unwilling to do it yourself, why should you expect another to do it for you?

Make the mod you want, or accept what's given to you for free. Is that too much to ask of the mod using community?

(To be clear, it's alright to ASK. But your continual insistence in the face of denial by the modder himself is quickly turning your "ask" into a "demand" which is not alright)

Not at all. I am merely answering responses to things that I have said. As is my right and the very nature and heart of the internet.

If mod makers didn't want to hear or respond to comments about their mods, they wouldn't.
As the artists that many of them are, some are more temperamental than others and @TriggerAu  seems quite reasonable especially when compared to many who ask for criticism and then have a tantrum when there is the slightest negativity.

Some artists like their work to make their world a better place. Some are merely tagging the post office door. I believe @TriggerAu is in the former category. But when a developer actively requests user input other users can be out of place by responding as though the suggestions are anything other than that. I cannot and will not make demands of a guy who freely gives up his time to improve a game that we all love.

I have made my suggestion and right now can't think of anything I'd like to add at this point. However I do reserve the right to respond to anyone who answers my posts because, as I see it, losing that right is akin to ripping the heart out of the purpose of the forum and indeed this thread.

23 hours ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

This is not currently working is it?

Installed via ckan but not showing anywhere in game for me...as if it wasn't installed at all. Not sure what's going on?

EDIT: Nvm, seems when I looked in Data folder there's nothing for KAC in there...make sure that ckan has installed it properly.

Edited by lhunt5

G'day @TriggerAu, love this mod and have been using it pretty much since day dot, and am still continually surprised that it is not a stock feature.  I have one request for info and/or a feature to be added.  Many mods (and indeed KSP itself) now feature UI Scale settings that allow the windows to be scaled down.  Is there any way to rescale the GUI for KAC?  If not, could this be added in the future?  I find that the KAC window takes up more screen real estate than is strictly necessary and would like to scale it down to be more inline with other mods that I use.  No worries if not, keep up the great work and enjoy!