[1.12.x] Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.13.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

That's so strange. 64-bit has been working just fine on Linux for as long as I've been playing. Is there something special about the 64-bit Windows version that makes it buggier? I would expect any issues to be with Unity's build, not KSP or mods (at least, not with mods I've been using).

I expected the same as I know the Linux build is pretty good, but unfortunately there does seem to be some differences. Personally I think it is related to the Unity Player as other 64-bit Unity apps display some of the same issues (an easy example is the mouse right button issue), but I hope there are some tweaks that can be made in the KSP code or mod code to resolve the crash one. The Linux version was very buggy to start with, so I think we are just going through the same steps as that, but a little further down the road game wise

I came across a situation which might (barely) warrant another feature to KAC.

Warning: rambling story ahead; skip for TLDR.

I had a spaceplane stuck in orbit with only a wisp of fuel remaining (29m/s d-v). I decided to try and dump it all at exactly Ap and, luckily(?), I dropped the Pe to just a wee bit below 70k, enough for atmospheric drag. Unfortunately, it only drops the Ap about 1000m per orbit. I can time-warp the Ap but the Pe falls to 1x each orbit, meaning this is going to take hours of real time. I discovered that the orbit doesn't decay when observing this ship in the tracking station nor from any other ship so it has to be the selected vessel.

TLDR: I'm suggesting a new alarm when reaching an arbitrary altitude.

I know this won't help with time-warping, but at least this could pause the clock when needed, allowing the pilot to step away from the controls for a while.

(note: I'm not going to wait for this :) My spaceplane continues to fall... very... slowly...)

I came across a situation which might (barely) warrant another feature to KAC.

Warning: rambling story ahead; skip for TLDR.

I had a spaceplane stuck in orbit with only a wisp of fuel remaining (29m/s d-v). I decided to try and dump it all at exactly Ap and, luckily(?), I dropped the Pe to just a wee bit below 70k, enough for atmospheric drag. Unfortunately, it only drops the Ap about 1000m per orbit. I can time-warp the Ap but the Pe falls to 1x each orbit, meaning this is going to take hours of real time. I discovered that the orbit doesn't decay when observing this ship in the tracking station nor from any other ship so it has to be the selected vessel.

TLDR: I'm suggesting a new alarm when reaching an arbitrary altitude.

I know this won't help with time-warping, but at least this could pause the clock when needed, allowing the pilot to step away from the controls for a while.

(note: I'm not going to wait for this :) My spaceplane continues to fall... very... slowly...)

My first thought here is to look at the Time Control mod then you can adjust the waro factors and speed that up considerably :)

There is already an altitude alarm. If you choose a distance alarm there is a radio for altitude in there which you can use for the current planet, or if you aretransferring set it for the destination planet. If you mean an alttude alarm that takes into account atmosphere and orbit changes under drag then thats a whole new kettle of fish. I put it in the too hard basket a while ago as most stuff in KAC is purely based on orbital position and setting a time, when the orbit changes that leads to lots of fun.

Anyways, let me know if you mean the first one thats there, or the second in altitude idea dn I can think further

There is already an altitude alarm. If you choose a distance alarm there is a radio for altitude in there which you can use for the current planet, or if you are transferring set it for the destination planet.

So there is! Under-educated user has been educated.

If you mean an altitude alarm that takes into account atmosphere and orbit changes under drag then thats a whole new kettle of fish.

And in trying it out, I'm thinking I did mean this: an alarm set for 30000m came active after one orbit, when it was most likely "closest" to that altitude before climbing again.

I appreciate the response, and understand your decision to classify it in the "too hard" basket. Thanks anyway. Still a great mod!

Hi, have you considered to add a .version file to integrate with KSP-AVC? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79745-0-24-2-KSP-AVC-Add-on-Version-Checker-Plugin-1-1-4-1-MiniAVC-KSP-AVC-Online

Great plugin. Thank you.

I have considered that and looked at it before yeah, but I found it at the same time as the great data transmission argument so I stepped away for a little bit. I do have a method in my plugins already that is pretty robust, but will check it out when I get some down time. Ta

For some reason, recently Kerbal alarm clock (and the alternate resource panel) have not been opening - their buttons appear in the toolbar, but clicking on those buttons does nothing. Restarting KSP makes it work - once. Has anyone else run into this?

EDIT: I am running through recently installed .dlls (I have been using KAC and ARP for a very long time with no problems).

I notice that the ship that these are broken on have procedural fuel tanks also acting funny - the cylinder is at the default length, with a gap where it should extend into.

yup log is spanning nullreferenceexception

Edited by ABZB

My first thought here is to look at the Time Control mod then you can adjust the waro factors and speed that up considerably :)

There is already an altitude alarm. If you choose a distance alarm there is a radio for altitude in there which you can use for the current planet, or if you aretransferring set it for the destination planet.

Never seen that either, thank you!

For some reason, recently Kerbal alarm clock (and the alternate resource panel) have not been opening - their buttons appear in the toolbar, but clicking on those buttons does nothing. Restarting KSP makes it work - once. Has anyone else run into this?

EDIT: I am running through recently installed .dlls (I have been using KAC and ARP for a very long time with no problems).

I notice that the ship that these are broken on have procedural fuel tanks also acting funny - the cylinder is at the default length, with a gap where it should extend into.

yup log is spanning nullreferenceexception

Thats not good, once you get into NRE Spams it gets difficult. Everything is unknown till you restart KSP in general. If you wnat to share your output_log I dont mind looking at whats going on, regardless of whethere its KAC or not :)

First thing I tried was restarting...

I'll post the log in some moments

EDIT: The first NRE occurs immediately after the contracts load. I recently updated one of the extra-contracts mods - I am checking if there is some error in one of them (this would also explain why I only have two contracts available).

Edited by ABZB

First thing I tried was restarting...

I'll post the log in some moments

Slight misunderstandig there. Trying to say (from testing lots) that once you have an NRE spam occuring the game state wont be good. Restarting wont necessarily fix the bug, but any investigation you do after the NRE spamming has started you need to keep in mind that there may still be game state objects in a not good state.

From previous testing work, once the NRE spamming starts you will find things don't work that worked before, you exit to SC and then to a different vessel, so the NRE spamming stops, but the game can still be stuck at this point and things dont work as they did before the NRE Spamming. The NREs that occur can leave the game in a state that is difficult to work out whats going on.

Hope thats not too confusing - it doesnt read well to me TBH

Sadly, running KAC reliably locks up my game.

I've spent a great deal of time narrowing down the cause and I can at least make it lock up my game 100% reliably, although I haven't figured out how to fix it.

I haven't tried removing all of my other mods yet (of which I am running many), which I know is the first thing I should do to get you reliable information, but I figured I would share what I have discovered in the mean time.

My game hard locks (not a crash) immediately at the point where the game autosaves. It's before the "Save Successful" text even appears on the screen.

This happens while watching a craft in map view with time warp set to maximum. Quicksaves do NOT cause the problem. The problem happens weather or not any alarms are configured. The problem happens weather or not the KAC dialog is open.

The save seems to be successful as I can reload the game from that point. The last two lines in my log are always

[Autosave]: Game Saved
(Filename: [...]UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Removing KAC fixes the issue; I can go back to the exact same point and do the exact same actions and it continues past the autosave.

I am running x64, and no the crash does not happen on x86 :( - HOWEVER, the weird thing is that my game does not seem to ever be autosaving when running in x86. I put it on maximum time warp just like I do on x64, and instead of an autosave every several seconds, the autosave never triggered at all. So I am not sure if the lock-up is failing to occur in x86, OR if it's just being avoided due to me not ever getting an autosave to happen!

I've spent a great deal of time narrowing down the cause and I can at least make it lock up my game 100% reliably, although I haven't figured out how to fix it.

I haven't tried removing all of my other mods yet (of which I am running many), which I know is the first thing I should do to get you reliable information, but I figured I would share what I have discovered in the mean time.

My game hard locks (not a crash) immediately at the point where the game autosaves. It's before the "Save Successful" text even appears on the screen.

This happens while watching a craft in map view with time warp set to maximum. Quicksaves do NOT cause the problem. The problem happens weather or not any alarms are configured. The problem happens weather or not the KAC dialog is open.

The save seems to be successful as I can reload the game from that point. The last two lines in my log are always

Removing KAC fixes the issue; I can go back to the exact same point and do the exact same actions and it continues past the autosave.

I am running x64, and no the crash does not happen on x86 :( - HOWEVER, the weird thing is that my game does not seem to ever be autosaving when running in x86. I put it on maximum time warp just like I do on x64, and instead of an autosave every several seconds, the autosave never triggered at all. So I am not sure if the lock-up is failing to occur in x86, OR if it's just being avoided due to me not ever getting an autosave to happen!

Any chance of some logs, memory usage and a save file? I cant guarantee I can fix anything in x64, but happy to have a go

just thought of a handy addition to the alarm window - when you're in the tracking station and an alarm fires, it would be nice to have an extra "Select Vessel" button that will select and thus pull your view over to the craft in question. I sometimes find myself doing simple maintenance/tracking of multiple crafts without needing to enter flight mode

Umm. Absolutely one of my favorite mods. Essential. The best feature- OK, I'll say it: The feature that makes this mod the best of the ones I use IMO is that it tells you when there is an available update.

Modders Rule.

Sincerely

Aethon

I have been chasing the same bug! I will pull KAC now and report back if the problem doesn't reoccur since it is about the only mod I haven't already tried leaving out (really didn't want to lose this one). New save, so it may take awhile. :(

Entering numbers into fields while setting an alarm also triggers action groups.

(Linux x64)

Well thats a new one - I'll see if I can repro it here

Question: How well does this work with RSS? (Specifically 1/10th scale) I really like this mod, and find it invaluable with the Stock Solar System, so I was curious how well it works with RSS.

Everything in KAC is time based and calculates the time to that point based on in game details so it is almost all fine. The one thing that is not is the Transfer Windows Alarm - the model version has stock settings and the formula version uses circular orbits so its no good. For those you can use one of the Transfer Tools and create raw alarms.

For what it's worth, I have similar annoying behaviors with other mods, including MechJeb, HyperEdit and others. Numeric inputs entered into a dialog field will trigger execution of the related action group. I've seen this with both 32 bit and 64 bit KSP on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

For what it's worth, I have similar annoying behaviors with other mods, including MechJeb, HyperEdit and others. Numeric inputs entered into a dialog field will trigger execution of the related action group. I've seen this with both 32 bit and 64 bit KSP on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

v3 has optional input locks when the mouse is over the KAC windows, will test if that fixes this, and then work out if its worth bringing it back to v2

Hey not sure if this is addressed somewhere already but googling turned up nothing and I dont see it here on the forums. My Kerbal Alarm Clock simply does not retain alarms. I can set the alarm and everything works great if I maintain focus on the ship I set the alarm for, but if I leave to focus on another ship or to the tracking station etc the alarm disapears from my alarm list. I do not know if the alarm is still functional in the background and just not displaying in the list or if the alarm is completely gone. I tried looking for settings that might effect this but did not find any and even tried performing a quicksave after creating the alarm thinking that might make magic happen. Any guidance on this would be great. Mods installed include KAC, KW Rocketry, Interstellar lite, spaceplane plus, distant objects, and infernal robotics.

Hey not sure if this is addressed somewhere already but googling turned up nothing and I dont see it here on the forums. My Kerbal Alarm Clock simply does not retain alarms. I can set the alarm and everything works great if I maintain focus on the ship I set the alarm for, but if I leave to focus on another ship or to the tracking station etc the alarm disapears from my alarm list. I do not know if the alarm is still functional in the background and just not displaying in the list or if the alarm is completely gone. I tried looking for settings that might effect this but did not find any and even tried performing a quicksave after creating the alarm thinking that might make magic happen. Any guidance on this would be great. Mods installed include KAC, KW Rocketry, Interstellar lite, spaceplane plus, distant objects, and infernal robotics.

that's funny. i have the opposite issue. alarms for destroyed safely recovered craft will sometimes persist even after the horrible explosion gentile touchdown. I've had similar issues with "revert to launch" sometimes reverting to the previous ballistics experiment spacecraft instead of the current disaster mission, even without mods, so i just assumed it was some bug in .24.

Sounds like the alarms file isnt getting saved or loaded - whenever you change ships this triggers a reset. My first thought is that perhaps the mod isnt installed in the folder structure its made for. Can you check that the Install path is like this - KSP/GameData/TriggerTech/KerbalAlarmClock.dll - and alongside that is a PluginData folder

that's funny. i have the opposite issue. alarms for destroyed safely recovered craft will sometimes persist even after the horrible explosion gentile touchdown. I've had similar issues with "revert to launch" sometimes reverting to the previous ballistics experiment spacecraft instead of the current disaster mission, even without mods, so i just assumed it was some bug in .24.

Alarms persist until you delete them, so when a craft is destroyed they wont go away - but they will indicate that the attached vessel cannot be found. They aren't stored in the save currently so their management is separate - that will change in v3

Hello!

I wanted to invite you TriggerAu to a discussion on a mod list I'm testing. Let me know in that thread if you would be interested in helping test other listed mods with yours, or if you already have.

Inigma's KSP Essentials Mod List

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94353-WIP-Inigma-s-KSP-Essentials-Mod-List-%28in-Testing%29