[1.12.x] Kerbal Alarm Clock v3.13.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

6 hours ago, toString said:

I'm kinda new to all this and I found this mod to be useful to me, but I don't see it updated on CKAN. Does it take a while to transfer there? My other mods all updated on there to 1.8.

Updates appearing on CKAN can be delayed for several reasons.  Routinely, CKAN indexes changes on specific sites (GitHub, Curse and Spacedock, IIRC) every 6 hours.  If the update isn't pushed correctly to the source site or the site is down the update won't appear.  If you're playing a different version of KSP than the update is meant for and/or your CKAN is not set up correctly, you won't see it.

The suggestion a couple of posts above yours that the update wasn't packaged correctly might be the problem.

11 hours ago, avalancha said:

Just out of curiosity: what do you mean by that? Rush, because the version is so good? Or because it came out so soon after 1.8.0?

Many thanks for the update anyhow :)

In this case, it's because TriggerAu is on the KSP team itself. ;)  So -- both...

6 hours ago, toString said:

Still nothing there sadly, unless I'm really not using CKAN correctly?

It's probably not going to show up for a while --there was no zip provided in the repository for CKAN to grab, so it's not listing the new version. Just grab the file from SpaceDock in the mean-time:

https://spacedock.info/mod/699/Kerbal Alarm Clock

On 11/10/2019 at 4:34 AM, toString said:

I'm kinda new to all this and I found this mod to be useful to me, but I don't see it updated on CKAN. Does it take a while to transfer there? My other mods all updated on there to 1.8.

Its just best to go to the Modder not ckan or twitch or Curse its up to the Modder to put it on there not curse or twitch. there ckan will let you know if it needs updated Kerbal -x is a great mod also TriggerAu is great at keeping updated. you need to understand coding is not easy sometime. Korponics is still trying to over the 1.8.0 to 1.8.1  1.8.0 had a lot of dynamic and mechanical changes not so much on crafts but on texture. Than they came out with 1.8.1 very soon after with bigger changes sometime using an outdated mod may work but it will have bugs mixing some will be worse, just follow their instruction on bug reporting and they will help you because it helps them . most always its something you done wrong and not their mod. I had 2 versions of a moduleManager  didn't see it until it was pointed out. the best thing is don't load a bunch of mods at once load on use it for a day or so and go from there. the only thing that has upset me here lately was a cameras that came with JSI that is needed because I use FASA great mods the camera is not there anymore and now I had to delete many of my ships there was way around it but it required changing the code I don't do that even though I can I fell its not my code to change. Fair warning some mods end up not supported. IE the Modder stop updating them. I think the heads up display is gone on kerbal engineering back to the bar unless Im not setting it right. such a disappointment. Fun flying because it wont be safe for the kerbals.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to show alarm point on vessel path ? (for vessel-specific alarms)

I've searched a bit through the settings, and looked at the documentation, but can't find anything..

Or do I have to submit a change request ?

safe flight to you all :)

8 hours ago, azander said:

I just set a  Maneuver point with no course change.  

That just display the manoeuver node, node the point where the alarm will fire. For example for an alarm for target distance, (to body, kerbin, at 100km), it place an alarm a bit before, but I want to see it on the path.

12 hours ago, Sppion1 said:

That just display the manoeuver node, node the point where the alarm will fire. For example for an alarm for target distance, (to body, kerbin, at 100km), it place an alarm a bit before, but I want to see it on the path.

Right, the date arithmetic must be done manually. The orbital path shows timestamps when you click on it, which guide you to where you want the maneuver node. Then set a maneuver alarm.

Thanks for answering ^^

And... That's not what I want.

I want that, when I've set an alarm, it also diplays something on the vessel path to show where the alarm fire.

For example, I can set an alarm to a target object, let's say kerbin's atmosphere. By default, this alarm fire 3 minutes (or 1, I don't remember) before reaching 100km. Fine to me. Is there a way to display where, on the vessel path, the alarm fire ?

Thanks anyway for your time :)

6 hours ago, Sppion1 said:

Thanks for answering ^^

And... That's not what I want.

I want that, when I've set an alarm, it also diplays something on the vessel path to show where the alarm fire.

For example, I can set an alarm to a target object, let's say kerbin's atmosphere. By default, this alarm fire 3 minutes (or 1, I don't remember) before reaching 100km. Fine to me. Is there a way to display where, on the vessel path, the alarm fire ?

Thanks anyway for your time :)

To answer your question, no, there is currently no functionality in KAC to do what you want directly.

That said, it sounds like a reasonable idea for a new feature.  I would recommend you post a feature request on the GitHub page since it's more reliable than leaving it here.

Edited by Brigadier

I have an enhancement request for KAC.

Would it be possible to have an event for an alarm on a vessel when a particular type of resource is full (that is set an alarm for when all the ore tanks are full, or when all the fuel tanks a full)

This would be useful for mining operations, so that it would be possible to return to a ship when it has filled its ore/LFO/monoprop etc. so that we could then immediately return to the ship to transport that load of resource, or for a ship that has stopped somewhere to refuel to then continue on its journey.

Cheers,

John

(Feature reqest created on github)

Edited by TanDeeJay
added comment about feature request

4 hours ago, TanDeeJay said:

I have an enhancement request for KAC.

Would it be possible to have an event for an alarm on a vessel when a particular type of resource is full (that is set an alarm for when all the ore tanks are full, or when all the fuel tanks a full)

I might be wrong here, but the first problem I see is that out-of-focus vessels are basically ignored by the game engine and resources on that vessel can't be seen by KAC until you load them (and only then are the resources recalculated).  This, of course, defeats the purpose of your feature.  I suppose it's a similar reason to why you can't execute a maneuver node without jumping to the vehicle.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

I might be wrong here, but the first problem I see is that out-of-focus vessels are basically ignored by the game engine and resources on that vessel can't be seen by KAC until you load them (and only then are the resources recalculated).  This, of course, defeats the purpose of your feature.  I suppose it's a similar reason to why you can't execute a maneuver node without jumping to the vehicle.

Yeah, thats true, but at the time you set the alarm, couldn't you calculate, based on the current rate of conversion multiplied by the amount of available storage, a time when the resource would be full?.  of course it could not take into account any changes to conversion rates caused by things like insufficient power, so you might get to the alarm time to find the resource nowhere near full, but I think it would be fare to base the calculation on what the current conversion rate is, and leave it up to the player to build their mining operation such that they have sufficient power to continue at full operation during the night.

6 hours ago, TanDeeJay said:

Yeah, thats true, but at the time you set the alarm, couldn't you calculate, based on the current rate of conversion multiplied by the amount of available storage, a time when the resource would be full?.  of course it could not take into account any changes to conversion rates caused by things like insufficient power, so you might get to the alarm time to find the resource nowhere near full, but I think it would be fare to base the calculation on what the current conversion rate is, and leave it up to the player to build their mining operation such that they have sufficient power to continue at full operation during the night.

You've just made a couple of invalid assumptions about how KSP works: First off, you assumed that the night passing would affect EC usage and generation.  It doesn't *unless you're currently watching the ship.*  If you go away before it's night, and come back during the day, the game will implicitly assume all the intervening time was daylight.

Secondly, you assumed that you can extrapolate the current conversion rates on it's own.  Again, not quite correct: They will depend on radiator efficiency, and storage of any intermediate resources.  A miner converting to say MaterialKits may run out of RareMetals before it runs out of anything else, and that will shut down production entirely.  Or it may run out of Machinery and degrade over time.  Or it may overheat and slow down.  (Or it may reach optimal heat and speed up...)

Thirdly, you've assumed that looking at the ship/base in normal view will extrapolate directly to how that same base produces in time warp.  It may not - Again using the same base, the player may think to plan for a 15-hour Mun night, but only have small 'transitional' storage for some of the intermediate products in the production chain.  If you switch away and come back after the night, you'll find that the base was mostly shut down - as production occurred in 'batches' over 6-hour periods, and if they didn't have enough intermediate storage the entire production shut down.

These are all common conceptual issues on how KSP works in the background - and typically it doesn't matter.  However once you start predicting what resources you'll have in the future, you start running into these all the time.  (This is a common discussion point for players new to USI-LS, for instance.)

On 12/7/2019 at 11:41 AM, TanDeeJay said:

do as i do

calc in my head then set a general time alarm whit a note of way i set it

Edited by danielboro

17 hours ago, DStaal said:

You've just made a couple of invalid assumptions about how KSP works: First off, you assumed that the night passing would affect EC usage and generation.  It doesn't *unless you're currently watching the ship.*  If you go away before it's night, and come back during the day, the game will implicitly assume all the intervening time was daylight.

Secondly, you assumed that you can extrapolate the current conversion rates on it's own.  Again, not quite correct: They will depend on radiator efficiency, and storage of any intermediate resources.  A miner converting to say MaterialKits may run out of RareMetals before it runs out of anything else, and that will shut down production entirely.  Or it may run out of Machinery and degrade over time.  Or it may overheat and slow down.  (Or it may reach optimal heat and speed up...)

Thirdly, you've assumed that looking at the ship/base in normal view will extrapolate directly to how that same base produces in time warp.  It may not - Again using the same base, the player may think to plan for a 15-hour Mun night, but only have small 'transitional' storage for some of the intermediate products in the production chain.  If you switch away and come back after the night, you'll find that the base was mostly shut down - as production occurred in 'batches' over 6-hour periods, and if they didn't have enough intermediate storage the entire production shut down.

These are all common conceptual issues on how KSP works in the background - and typically it doesn't matter.  However once you start predicting what resources you'll have in the future, you start running into these all the time.  (This is a common discussion point for players new to USI-LS, for instance.)

Ok, thanks, that makes sense.  My thought was that none of that intermediate stuff should be taken into account, and that if the player hadn't planned all that intermediate stuff correctly, the alarm would take them back to the ship to find that the whole shooting match had shutdown because of an intermediate process failing :)

Sounds like my best bet is to just:

1 hour ago, danielboro said:

do as i do

calc in my head thes set a general time alarm whit a note of way i set it

This was pretty much all I was wanting KAC to do anyway :)

And your comment about a "note of why I set it" reminds me of something else that would be nice, a way of setting a "save note" that pops up when you load a game reminding me of what I was doing :D  but that would be a discussion for another thread...  

16 minutes ago, TanDeeJay said:

And your comment about a "note of why I set it" reminds me of something else that would be nice, a way of setting a "save note" that pops up when you load a game reminding me of what I was doing :D  but that would be a discussion for another thread...  

i have a vague memory of an in game notepad mod

2 hours ago, danielboro said:

calc in my head thes set a general time alarm whit a note of way i set it

There's another mod by TriggerAu, Alternate Resource Panel (it says 1.4 in the title but works fine on KSP 1.8.1) which does the calculation and displays estimated time until full/empty. Granted, a button to set a KAC alarm from the panel would sure be nice, but as other have said, there's no guarantee that the projection holds up through timewarp and rails and resources might fill up or run out at a much different time.

2 hours ago, TanDeeJay said:

Ok, thanks, that makes sense.  My thought was that none of that intermediate stuff should be taken into account, and that if the player hadn't planned all that intermediate stuff correctly, the alarm would take them back to the ship to find that the whole shooting match had shutdown because of an intermediate process failing

In theory that's probably fine.  In practice, what happens is people come and complain on the forum that the calculation is wrong.  ;) 

Hello, first of all, thank you for this amazing mod.

I installed the new version without copying anything from the previous and i still have my old alarms in my save.

I tried to find the CONFIG.XML inside the mods folder but i couldnt.Does anyone know what file i need to delete/backup that has the alarms?

Edited by Boyster

1 hour ago, Boyster said:

Hello, first of all, thank you for this amazing mod.

I installed the new version without copying anything from the previous and i still have my old alarms in my save.

I tried to find the CONFIG.XML inside the mods folder but i couldnt.Does anyone know what file i need to delete/backup that has the alarms?

I would suspect they're in the persistence.sfs file in your <Your KSP install>/saves/<game> directory.  Search for "alarm".