HyperEdit - taken over by Ezriilc, this thread is dead

khyperia

Doesn't need updating. Put the dll in the old legacy plugin folder. Load up the game, alt+h. It's that easy. Or if you want to be consistent with the new structure just put it in GameData\sirkutrocks\

Using it for simulations is one possibility, but my most used function is the ability to set up comm networks for RemoteTech that do NOT drift over time. No matter how perfect you set up your maneuvers (even with MechJeb), you always end up with a little drift between your satellites. Using Hyperedit (Misc Tools -> Align SMA) I can easily "fix" the previously launched satellites in an equal orbital length. This means no more slowly adding up of tiny drifts on super-long warp times (e.g. during interplanetary transfers) and suddenly losing contact because all your satellites clumped up their orbits, collapsing your entire relay network.

Does this occur even if you tweak your orbital period to be exactly equal (to the second) to the sidereal day (e.g. 6h:0m:0s for Kerbin)? If it's to within a second, it should only drift by a max of about 5 degrees per (Earth) year.

It's not possible to EXACTLY tweak your orbital period without Hyperedit, that's the whole reason I'm using it to fix up my orbit perfectly once I have reached it "as good as possible".

It's not possible to EXACTLY tweak your orbital period without Hyperedit, that's the whole reason I'm using it to fix up my orbit perfectly once I have reached it "as good as possible".

Using RCS, I can get my orbits to 6h0m0s exactly, without HyperEdit. I use MechJeb's orbital information panel to see the orbital period, but the adjustments are all manual. You just line your craft up in the prograde direction, then use very light taps on "H" (to increase the period) and "N" (to decrease it) to adjust the total period until it's exact.

I'd like a new feature that let's you make your apoapsis and periapsis seperately so your orbit isn't perfectly circular to recreate orbits IRL, I'd also like a feature to allow you to put a set orbital inclination.I'd also like a KSO above x,y chord feature

Edited by DarthVader

I'd like a new feature that let's you make your apoapsis and periapsis seperately so your orbit isn't perfectly circular to recreate orbits IRL, I'd also like a feature to allow you to put a set orbital inclination.

Both of these already exist if I remember correctly. I haven't used the mod in a while, but I remember this being possible.

I think that with the Ap, Pe and Radius® of Kerbin (or whatever body you're orbiting) you can find the semi-major and eccentricity.

From a quick search:

You need the radius from the body center to your Ap or Pe, so let: rA=Ap+R and rP=Pe+R

sma = (rA + rP)/2 which can also be written as (Ap + Pe + 2*R)/2

e = (rA - rP) / (rA + rP) which can also be rewritten in terms of Ap, Pe and R as (Ap - Pe) / (Ap + Pe + 2*R)

khyperia,

Do you have the latest source code (1.2.1) posted anywhere? It seems the GitHub version is old (1.1.2).

I'm very interested in this plugin from a programming point of view (I'm an old-school programmer finally learning C). I use HyperEdit all the time for landing my water craft at the KSC beach, etc., and I see the need for other features that might fit in well with it.

I'm trying to decide whether to make my own plugin to accomplish what I want, or just offer it to you as an addition to HyperEdit.

khyperia,

Do you have the latest source code (1.2.1) posted anywhere? It seems the GitHub version is old (1.1.2).

I'm very interested in this plugin from a programming point of view (I'm an old-school programmer finally learning C). I use HyperEdit all the time for landing my water craft at the KSC beach, etc., and I see the need for other features that might fit in well with it.

I'm trying to decide whether to make my own plugin to accomplish what I want, or just offer it to you as an addition to HyperEdit.

Updated the git.

Note that I am no longer working on HyperEdit, as well as not being in the KSP community much at all anymore. If you'd like to take over development, or know someone who will, please tell me. I haven't found anyone willing to take it up.

Updated the git.

Note that I am no longer working on HyperEdit, as well as not being in the KSP community much at all anymore. If you'd like to take over development, or know someone who will, please tell me. I haven't found anyone willing to take it up.

Although I would love to contribute, I doubt very seriously that I'm qualified to take over. Who knows, though; if I learn C# and Unity fast enough, perhaps I can soon.

Thanks for the updated source!

I may take my hands on the project. I just need to know how to add Unty resources to VC# 2010...

Is this what you're looking for?

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Setting_up_Visual_Studio

The gist:

1. Right click in your Project in the Solution Explorer
  2. Click "Add Reference".
  3. Click the "Browse" tab.
  4. Navigate to your KSP install folder, and inside \KSP_Data\Managed\, you'll find 2 .dll's to reference.

1. Assembly-CSharp.dll
    2. UnityEngine.dll

That worked for me.

Since HyperEdit seems to be unique and provides what I'd call essential game functionality, I feel compelled to help this project as much as possible.

So, since I also have plans for my own plugin(s), I've decided to learn C#, and subsequently discovered the HUGE world of the Unity 3D Engine, which is freakin' awesome! http://unity3d.com/

The free version is very complete, and there are entire free games with source code, that provide an excellent environment for learning how all this stuff works. You just download the assets and project files, import them into the free Unity Editor, mess it up all you want, and then build it. For being completely free, I'm just stunned at the power.

I figure I'll use playing with Unity (great fun) as a means to learn C# and 3d game development in general, then I plan to turn my attention to HyperEdit or whatever becomes of it by then.

Thanks for taking this on Ezriilc. I use HyperEdit in my test version of KSP. Saves time when all you want to do is check a part out without waiting to get to Jool, etc.

Good luck. We're all counting on you. :cool:

Thanks for taking this on Ezriilc. I use HyperEdit in my test version of KSP. Saves time when all you want to do is check a part out without waiting to get to Jool, etc.

Good luck. We're all counting on you. :cool:

:blush: And thank you for the vote of confidence, even if sadly misplaced. Mind you, I have no intention of ever backing out, at least not until I get the functionality I'm after, i.e. the HUD/compass and possible other refinements of HyperEdit. It's just that the mountain of material in front of me to learn is... shall we say, not small. That, plus the speed at which games like this can evolve, may make it difficult for me catch/keep up.

As interests and circumstances do change, in all honesty I must confess that I may not get where I need to be in time to make any relevant contribution to this project. On the other hand, if this project continues to appeal to me in the way web-publishing has in recent years, then we may see something substantial quite soon.

That is, if Unity doesn't distract me too much with staggering eye-candy and sweet game components. I hate to sound like a fan-boy for Unity, but the Bootcamp game demo is mind-blowing in its complexity and polish. I could get lost in there for years. OO, a squirrel!!

khyperia's code in HyperEdit is actually pretty intimidating to me, in that I can't really understand the flow of it... much... at all - so it must be good stuff, right? I need to get up on programming concepts like Classes/subclasses, scope keywords and others like public/private/protected, static, etc. I never built anything in PHP or Javascript big enough to bother with classes and associated stuff (or so I thought), but I have been meaning to go there... eventually. I wish I could just plugin to the Matrix and quick-load C# and Unity, so the code just makes sense. Ah well.

Basically, I'm saying NO PROMISES. :P Except that I will do my best.

Oh, and Voidryder, Re: Pete Conrad, good stuff - didn't know it - feel I should have - thanks.

Edited by Ezriilc
typos, paragraph juggling

Ezrillc, I can join with you if you like. I'm pretty familiar with programming and have made my own custom mod to the part filter plugin that got rid of the annoying mod pack filter window. I have some ideas I would like to add to hyperedit. One of which is an info window that gives a legend that explains what the parameters are.