In-Atmosphere Speed Challenge

Phoxtane

We all know that speeds in excess of 8,000 m/s are possible outside the atmosphere are possible, but how fast can you go inside the atmosphere?

Objectives:

Go as fast as you can inside Kearth\'s atmosphere.

-Try to beat my record.

-Try to beat your personal best.

-Try to set the record for this challenge.

Official Rules:

1: You may not exit the atmosphere during this challenge.

2: No modded parts are allowed.

3: You may only use the stock parts, Sunday Punch\'s pack, the C7 Flight Pack, and Silisko Industries Donut Research and Spacecraft Development Pack.

4: Adding screenshots is encouraged, but exceptions will be made for those working on secret projects (like me).

You do not need to maintain level flight to be eligible for this challenge.

*As of the 0.10.1 revision, the drag model has been heavily reworked, and the atmosphere now extends to 68,000 meters! I suggest you resubmit under these new conditions! Altitude limit still applies.*

My first attempt got me 333.6 m/s with an experimental craft I call Gnat I. The second iteration of this line of rockets is Gnat II, and I\'ve reached speeds of 338.7 m/s with it. Gnat III got me 388.2 m/s.

CURRENT RECORD HOLDER

Salda007 at 1775.3 m/s, flying an extended-parts, level flight class aircraft! He is no longer using the C7 Micro Fuel Tank, but he beat his previous record!

Well, I figured that not going outside the atmosphere would be good enough, but you're right, the air is thin enough that you can go pretty fast...

How about 15,000 meters? That should be good enough (and it lets my last personal best be legal ;P).

Thrust-to-drag ratio seems to be the decisive factor as long as the craft is controllable. Achieving high speeds at vertical ascent just before 15000 metres mark is the easy way out in my opinion.

Is maintaining level flight a requisite for the challenge? If so, here are some screenies of my Fast Atmospheric Design FAD-2 Gloryhound Mk.II:

screenshot16ib.png

screenshot17w.png

screenshot18et.png

screenshot19on.png

Powered with four air-breathing and one internally oxidized engine, the design can easily climb to 15000 metres altitude and accelerate to speeds above 560 m/s. Our engineers are certain that the design can be improved upon in multiple ways, although there is fierce debate whether it be better to concentrate on reducing drag or increasing thrust.

Most likely, both will be accomplished.

And before you ask - yes, there is some unnecessary parts in this design. Style over substance, I say.

By the way, Kerbin's air is very, very thick. Something is very wrong when your craft slows down in full power dive.

~1150 m/s using stock parts going strait up. In v0.10.1 that is, same type of design in v.0.10 I could only get to ~920 m/s.

And for those of us flying in the expanded parts, level flight class, here's the 0.10.1 mark to beat:

1677.1 m/s

Happy flying!

Update:

'scuse me, I meant to say

1745.9 m/s

Ta! 8)

And for those of us flying in the expanded parts, level flight class, here's the 0.10.1 mark to beat:

1677.1 m/s

Happy flying!

Update:

'scuse me, I meant to say

1745.9 m/s

Ta! 8)

This, more than anything, demonstrates the massive change to atmospheric drag in 10.1 :)

This, more than anything, demonstrates the massive change to atmospheric drag in 10.1 :)

Yeah, pretty much! I saw Napaeozapus's post, faster than mine, straight up, with stock parts, and went, 'Okay, I HAVE to try this.' I forsee a lot of challenge times dropping in the next few days

Okay, I freely admit to using the now-depreciated absurdly-dense C7 wing tanks in my previous build. In the spirit of fair competition, this number was fairly reached without the use of that tank (the flat, black, 750-fuel-for-.3-mass one):

1775.3 m/s

What, you thought it would be lower??? Hah!

Okay, I freely admit to using the now-depreciated absurdly-dense C7 wing tanks in my previous build. In the spirit of fair competition, this number was fairly reached without the use of that tank (the flat, black, 750-fuel-for-.3-mass one):

1775.3 m/s

What, you thought it would be lower??? Hah!

No freaking way. Updated, and this man wins a Jeb: 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.