[0.20] Ancient Launchers

maro

Hi, new here, I just wanted to stop by and commend you on all the fantastic work in this thread. I downloaded the pack this morning specifically to have a look at the Fregat stage (and, of course, the Apollo lander) you built and I'm very impressed with the detail you've achieved using stock parts; it's inspiring.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the eye-candy, and the history lessons.

Not sure what the issue is but I have some incompatibilities with the 0.20 version of this download.....

Apollo LLRV

Saturn V - Apollo 11

Ssaturn V - Apollo 17

Titan II - GLV Gemini

Titan IIIE - Viking 1

Zenit - Phobos Grunt

All simply state "incompatible with this version of KSP". I am using whatever is the latest update via Steam. Is there something I need to change?

They are all done with v0.20.1 and v0.20.2. Dont understand die incompatibility issue and cant test either, because i do not have the Steam-Version.

I check constantly but with alle the updates and fixtures running ist hard to keep on track.

I will try to find out whats going on but hopefully the game will some day be finished and the incompability issues finaly solved.

Atlas-Centaur10 - Surveyor1, May 30. 1966 – Jan 1967

• First soft landing on Moon

• Seven landers build

Launcher:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas-Centaur

Upperstage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur_(rocket_stage)

Payload:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveyor_1

Instructions

• ActivateASAS with „T“

• stage for activate engines

• rev engines to 100%

• stage for liftoff

• after passing 10000m and start grav turn to ~90° heading and 80° upwards trajectory

• when reaching 500m/s press „R“ to activate RCS

• when reaching 600m/s press „1“ for spearation of booster engines

• keep trajectory until burnout

• wait until burnout and stage away booster

• activate upper stage 6, complete parking orbit and stop engine

• manage your trans-mun-injection and fire once to reach Mun vicinity

• stage away Centaur

Instructionsfor moon orbiting and landung

Youwill ned some ~25 units of fuel for a 20~30km mun orbit and another~25 units for the final braking maneuver. This gives you some 20units of fuel in the retro stage to manage your mun orbit inclinationto reach your target of joice.

• fire retro engine at mun periapsis ( about 60-90sec.)

• improve your inclination for a proper landing place

• press „G“ for landing gears out

• braking burn retrograde until burnout and stage away

• landing is easy- burn retrograde until your perfect vertical – then just manage the thrust of the main engine to hold the descent rate and use RCS to reduce the descent rate.

• Close to the ground you should have reduces your descent rate to 1~2m/s with no horizontal speed and then you quit the main engine 1-2m above ground and let the probe drop the last meter.

• Activate sensors and antenna and deactivate tanks and engines

5gm.png

f3zv.png

at600m/s booster engines away...

uvu.png

gbtr.png

stagingAtlas away, Centaur prior to engine ignition

7c6.png

reachingorbit

51n.png

Afterthe trans-mun-injection stage away Centaur

b3w.png

….flyme to the Mun....

jxt.png

finalbrake

kw6l.png

alreadyvertical and descending

41p.png

thatsthe right moment to quit the engine

8xps.png

missionaccomplished

mb2m.png

Maro,

I notice your signature includes many mods/plugins but my understanding is that this is "stock" stuff. Is that not the case? Is there some mod you are using to build the pack that I must have?

All ships are "stock", so you do not need any plugin to fly.

Anyway i recommend the

Kerbal Engineer Redux: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-1-ke...er-redux-v0-5/

Protractor: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/protractor-for-ksp-0-18/

they are very helpfull

and of course you can add auto pilot if you wish. i do not use it any longer, but in the "early days" i used a lot partly just to get an idea how it works.

but the ships-file are stock-totaly free of any part or plugin thats not in the actual v0.20.2 package

Frustrating.... I really wanted to pick apart your Apollo stuff. Trying to get an effective launch vehicle/lander combo that will send a rover somewhere up there. I use work like yours as inspiration as I tend to be quite dry in my designs.

ProtonD-1e - Lunochod, 1970-1971

- First remote controlled vehicle landet on another celestrial body

Launcher:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_(rocket)

Payload:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunokhod_1

Desctription:

My first Proton-Variant used six LV-T30 in the first stage and had te tendency to be a bit weak.

To overcome this i reworked the Proton and now use six Skipper, now its on the strong side.

But istvery easy now to still add a x200-8 tank to the first an second stageto even improve the performance, and therfore the launcher is easy toupgrade to be able to reach targets beyond Mun and Minmus.

Lander engine is also much stronger – and you need only a fraction ofthrust for the Mun landing.

The Lunochod itself has now a more original „bathtube“ design and has two Nukes on board for endless power. A ramp seems still not possible, therefore i used my side-by-side descent stage design with horicontal attached decouplers, engines, tanks – that works easy and flawless.

Instructions

• activate ASAS
  • deactivate RCS tanks on the rover (2x)..they look out on top of the body a bit
  • stage for engine activation
  • rev to 100%
  • stage for liftoff
  • throttle down at 1000m and reduce thrust further until 10.000m – target speed at 10.000m is about 200m/s (as ever...)
  • at 10.000m turn to a 90° heading and 70° upwards trajectory
  • rev to 100%
  • prior to burnout 1st stage activate RCS
  • stage after burnout 1st will activate 2nd
  • correct heading to 90° and 45° upwards trajectory
  • once passing 50.000m start your orbit turn
  • stage after burnout
  • wait for apoapsis then stage again and complete orbit with 3rd stage
  • manage your trans-mun-injection should use most if not all fuel of your 3rd
  • go into a 25~30km circularize orbit with 4th stage
  • there should be enough fuel to change inclination 30° and more
  • make your initial braking with 4th and use as much as you can.You should be vertical at ~10.000m latest. Reduce vertical speed below 10.000m to less then 50m/s. Wait for burnout or stop engines at 7.500m and stage.
  • Increase thrust of landing stage carfully – a lot overpowered at mun gravity.
  • touchdown speed should be less then 3m/s, stop engines 1-2m above ground.
  • Once stabile on the ground stage to eject landing stage
  • activate rover sensors, antenna, light, solar panel as required - and activate RCS tanks again - in case you flip over you can use the RCS to get the rover back on wheels

A verystrong proton clone lifts off

qa4.png

rt9x.png

stage...

vfu.png

stageagain

30q.png

transmun....

2da.png

andstage

jwa.png

laststage on the way

uf7.png

orbitinsertion

c5m.png

managinginclination to reach the right landing area

f2z.png

alreadyvertical

k4n.png

andstage...used up full and took out as much descent energy as possible

krw.png

landingstage in action

rh6.png

time toquit engines

wirh.png

on theMun

48at.png

ok –tahts not the way the russians had chose...but it works

auv6.png

rollin,lollin, rollin....

4cm.png

Edited by maro

• 4 weeks later...

LongMarch 2E - Optus B2

The first launcher of Chinese origin in my „ancient launchers“ project is the Long March 2E (aka „CZ-2E“). Used seven times from1990 to 1995, was five times successfull and accounted for two failures one of which is accounted for the worst launch catastrophe of the newer space history – the rocket fell on a village close to the XichangSatellite Launch Centre killing an unknown number of residents.

The Long March 2E forms also the basis for the Long March 2F still in use to lanuch the manned missions of the Chinese space program (therefore cant be added to the „ancient launchers“).

The technology of the Long March 2E has a military backgrund as it uses dinitrogen tetroxide as oyidizer and UDMH as fuel like the Russian Proton rocket.

My KSP clone is a little bit more powerfull then the real world rocket and can put roughly 4t into a Kerbostationary transfer orbit istead of the original 3,5t/GTO performance.

I chose it because it is a good example to show off how commercia lcomsats are delivered into stationary orbits this days.

Launcher:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_March_2E

Payload: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optus_(satellite)#Optus_B2

• rev to 100% and stage to ignite and liftoff
  • reduce scceleration between 1.000 and 10.000m
  • rev up to 100% after passing 10.000m and turn to 90° heading and 80° upwards trajectory
  • after booster burnout stage away the four externals
  • after burnout center stage stage for separation and ignition second stage
  • keep heading 90° and 80° upwards trajectory
  • target apoapsis is 2.800km, stop engine when your apoapsis meets this height
  • at apoapsis start engine again and perform a horizontal burn heading 90° until your periapsis reaches 40km.
  • Stop engine and stage away upper stage at 2.800x40km orbit
  • once upper stage is gone start your comsats apo-engine and start circularize your orbit at 2.868.750m x 2.686.750m by performing three(+) long burns every time close at your apopasis – each time rising your periapsis. The first burn emediately after upper stage separation should lift your periapsis well above 70km to avoid reentry. You can lift further but closely look at your apoapsis not passing 2.868.750m – otherwhise you have to coorect performing a retrograde burn. The last burn in your sequence you can perform to exactly place the satellite over a certain point above Kerbins aequator.
  • Activate satellite by pressing „1“ (mooves out antennas and solar pannels)

onthe ramp

6w5o.jpg

up...

ycmi.jpg

boosterseparation

lxjk.jpg

centerstage short before burnout

kl94.jpg

upperstage active

8xid.jpg

atthe Kerbostationary transfer orbit (2.800km)

q2b0.jpg

upperstage separation

4eg9.jpg

satellitesapo engine running...rising periapsis

fgd9.jpg

satactivation

67lv.jpg

2.868.750mx 2.686.750m

walj.jpg

Edited by maro

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.