Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

Number 3 is not a bug and if people actually read forums instead of just randomly downloading there would be no problem. The reason we don't update the upload on the spaceport is that the fix is a very small thing not that big at all. Number 1 problem is actually fixed by the fix downloadable from this threads first post. And onto your Number 2 problem it is not a problem at all it is actually a suggestion that you could have posted in a nicer manner as we welcome suggestions from the community on what they think would be cool in the addon. (Though keep in mind this is mainly an addon that is being fueled by the developments that InfiniteDice wants in his game and he is just decided to share it with others.)

Number 3 is not a bug and if people actually read forums instead of just randomly downloading there would be no problem. The reason we don't update the upload on the spaceport is that the fix is a very small thing not that big at all. Number 1 problem is actually fixed by the fix downloadable from this threads first post. And onto your Number 2 problem it is not a problem at all it is actually a suggestion that you could have posted in a nicer manner as we welcome suggestions from the community on what they think would be cool in the addon. (Though keep in mind this is mainly an addon that is being fueled by the developments that InfiniteDice wants in his game and he is just decided to share it with others.)

That would be nice if they did read but many now days can't or wont! I back you in this endeavor to get them to read the forums.

Thanks I don't know why but his comments (also coming from a bigger name in the addon community really pissed me off as he should know better as an established person.) Plus I got messages from other "Really Big" community members backing me privately but not publicly as you have done so thanks so much! Glad to see that you are really pushing the boundarys of our addon! Great Designs keep up the good work.

There are always things to improve. I like all the comments and pics, thanks for the info as well. I'll see what can be incorporated into the next release.

As for the spaceport I've decided to update the download AND have the update file. So people will have the choice to update the old download or get it all anew! I will post here when the spaceport file is updated.

I'll never make propellers until they change the water dynamics and effects - what's 6m below the water doesn't concern me. :)

Cool! Maybe a few lines of code added to the control tower would handle water maneuvering...

public void FixedUpdate() {
propeller();
}

private void propeller(FlightCtrlState s) {
if(checkSplashed())
{
// Turning around boat's "up" (forward in vessel coordinates)
vessel.rigidbody.AddTorque (vessel.forward * s.yaw * torqueMultiplier);

// Push boat forward (vessel "up") based on throttle
vessel.rigidbody.AddForce (vessel.up * s.mainThrottle * throttleMultiplier);
}
}

Edited by Hooligan Labs

As I have mentioned before if you use the most recent version that we have out now on the main page of the thread, the newest version has the R3 Carrier ships rudder that makes water navigation and maneuvering a ton more easier.

ghost010 nice job on the wings :D

do they flop around like jello?

does COL move forward and back depending on wing position?

is there more than 2 positions?

is that the final size of the wings? will they be able to be rescaled?

upon loading a plane do the wings play the theme for Top Gun?

Jello flop? not that i know of, this is the default size,but you can re-size it(0.03 or 0.01. i have them on 0.02)

it only has those 2 positions. the col doesn't change.

sadly the top gun music isnt there :P

i stil need to add textures and at least intakes.

but i might consider adding some control surface?

ugh i just now discovered that my wings dont even generate lift.

did i miss some thing? could not find any tutorials on wings so yha...

Edited by ghost010

some testing with tugs

tugk5ukc.jpg

and a 50tons "stresstest" the whole mass is on one segment landing was with 0.5m/s (mechjeb says 50.91 tons =) )

little bit wobbling but superstructure is intact

stresstestt6uwt.jpg

Edited by Ariellus

50tons "stresstest" the whole mass is on one segment landing was with 0.5m/s (mechjeb says 50.91 tons =) )

little bit wobbling but superstructure is intact

Goodness... that's a huge load. Glad she didn't tip over!

Going to be running some tests tonight that could change Boat parts in a big way. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag till I can confirm if it will work or not, but it could be a substantial shift from the way things are currently.

So you may need to re-do this stress test again soon... :)

To all the guys out there who loves Dice's boatparts but have a little problem with the partcount/strutcount and/or wobble, there is a workaround to lower the safety margin of struts but make it less wobble.

Before i will describe how connection works.

Connection working like a parent/child system, you can have always only one parent for each connection (but many childs)

With that system the problem begins. I think everybody knows, if you build something out of different parts and want to add it to your rocket/ship/rover/spaceplane that it's only connect with one part to the mainbody. It's like a tree.

At this point everybody use struts, they are more or less out of the system and working like ropes, they are not really part of the tree (i know they have mother and child connections but they are a little bit out of the system)

They are working like ropes and you lash the motherpart of the strut down to the childpart of the strut. BUT its not a real connection between two parts and you need often more struts that the forces can "follow the right way"

The wobble is the result of this connection system, this and the fact that you have only one tiny connection point (i know some surface attachments (like wings) working a little bit different but using the same principle)

Thats why it is important how you build your carrier, you should allways know where forces occure and how you want to show them the way.

As an example.

I start allways with hulk (the red parts) build it, grab it near the tower and put it to the side.

Then i build the flightdeck, then the hangardeck and put the hulk back to the tower. After that i strut the flightdeck/hangardeck down to the hulk.

This way i know there is only little movement in the flightdeck and gaps are minimized. Wich is important cause the landinggear will find the gap and the whole gear is sinking into the flightdeck.

Now the solution to lower the wobble even more and save some struts.

1. Doing that is your own risk .... me, Dice or the rest of the team dont guarantee that the savefile stays stable its only a workaround until R3 is out (wich lowers the partcount anyways)

2. You need Romfarer's Lazor 0.26

3. If you are at the in game and looking down on KSC you should set the physics distance back to 2,25km (you should see a small window in the upper left part of your screen if you are at ksc, there you can change it)

4. Add a lazor system to your carrier

5. Bring her down to the water

6. Drive with max speed and max physics warp (alt + .) arround to see where the wobble begins

7. Eva one Kerbal from the Com-Tower

8. Walk to the part where gaps occure under the physics warp and weld it to his neighbours (with the EVA lazor system)

9. Go back into the tower and start with 6 again until you are satisfied

Romfarer made it possible that one part has more than one parent but it can and will break the tree structure of the vessel and transform it to something different, more like a web if you are welding alot.

Remember its only a workaround if you want big ships, or if you have problems with the part/strutcount = lag with R2.5

I hope its understandable english is not my first language.

Edited by Ariellus

In order to implement the damage system at a later time I need to get the impact on the physics engine way down. I have done this in the past by reducing the part count, especially those parts contacting the water.

I'm working on a new system that should really make a massive change, as well as improve structural integrity. After a few hours over 2 nights I have finally tested a method that will do this. I just need to migrate the implementation and code from unity to KSP now, and see if it holds together.

Once I have something I think is fairly solid, the baseline structure will go to Ariellus for scrutiny.

I'm Almost certain this has been suggested and apologies if it has but Have you thought of making a quick plugin that when you click a button teleports your ship into the water? It will save on having a load of debris in the water because you wont need to decouple any wheels.

P.S This is seriously an epic mod and i cant wait to see the new version.

- Labamba

I'm Almost certain this has been suggested and apologies if it has but Have you thought of making a quick plugin that when you click a button teleports your ship into the water? It will save on having a load of debris in the water because you wont need to decouple any wheels.

That is seriously a PITA. I love the mod. But every time I launch a carrier I have to spend about 30-40 minutes meticulously destroying all the debris left in the water. I use a Romfarer Sunbeam Laser mounted on top of Wayland's Eagle which I land in the water nearby. Destroy all the debris near me, then fly up and splash down again and repeat until the debris is all gone.

I suppose we could use Hyperedit to place the carrier. But I'd love if there was a native option in the mod to just have the thing default to a water launch instead of start on the runway.

I know if you move a craft significantly in the hanger it will spawn somewhere else besides the default location. Maybe someone could come up with a plug-in that moves the carrier far enough while still "in the hanger" that it generates a location off the coast?