Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

That is strange, let's see if others have the same issue. Only a drop from very high would cause it to flood like that. Go into the R3CarrierConTower part and edit the cfg variable like this: (change the altitude to 2 perhaps.)

MODULE

{

name= BoatInterface

moveAtLaunch = true

addLongitude = 0.4

altitude = 6

hornActive = true

}

Finaly got 3 on deck and the Narwhal is off to explore!

uvK8Ks6.png

Think I'm gonna have to try and build a double-wide too =P

edit: Capt Kerbertson...how many engine ya gots on that awesome double-wide you got goin???

Edited by KhaosCorp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2y2zcw5mc4e2xc/Confederated%20Villanous.craft

Now, guys, this is still a WIP, so please show me any improvements or let me know what I've done wrong in regards to the design. I've left out the middle deck, there are only two engines ( facing the wrong directions and not braced in any way) it's just a sea trial version. The deck is strong. I've crash many, large frame aircraft without so much as a hint of an issue. That being said, It's a biiiiig ship. my PC is a tad over kill so those with lesser specs.... be warned, she lags me.

Anyone have any FAR compatible carrier aircraft?

Adding quantum struts migh help when the wings are unfolded. I was messing with variable geometry wings a few hours ago.

That is strange, let's see if others have the same issue. Only a drop from very high would cause it to flood like that. Go into the R3CarrierConTower part and edit the cfg variable like this: (change the altitude to 2 perhaps.)

MODULE

{

name= BoatInterface

moveAtLaunch = true

addLongitude = 0.4

altitude = 6

hornActive = true

}

So after playing around with it, the determining factor is the initial part of the craft and the elevation of it's COM. In my case, I prefer starting with the Bow, so my ships were spawning with the rest of the hull pieces already submerged. As soon as physics kicked in, the ship would pop up..but with so much force that the rebound would swamp the entire vessel. I edited my config to spawn at 6 same as you have above and now the ship spawns correctly. BUT, if I use another part as the initial starting piece, the ship will then sink again.

Basically, any offset more than a meter or so from a neutral float position will cause larger ships to swamp and sink.

I can't sink the Narwhal for the life of me!! How on earth did Capt do that?? Ive played with ballast controls, droped huge full fuel tanks on it, bombed it, and flew several jets into it at high speeds.....its still floating...upside down, but floating...

Hey InfiniteDice, I know it's a big ask, but could you make another, larger carrier, maybe 2 wide, with just the 1 super aircraft lift & many slots on the deck, maybe use the side extension from previous release? And could you please also upload it for download?

Thanks!

Espresso

I can't sink the Narwhal for the life of me!! How on earth did Capt do that?? Ive played with ballast controls, droped huge full fuel tanks on it, bombed it, and flew several jets into it at high speeds.....its still floating...upside down, but floating...

You have to turn the engine on. The thrust should be just enough to sink it.

And just a suggestion and sorry if this has all ready been answered but, could there be other boat besides carries?

All you do... and it takes a few seconds...

reduce the float on the left hand side of the ship... increase float on the right hand side... it'll flip.

One way a carrier will sink easy is if the bow has been destroyed. Take a carrier and ram another carrier. Due to the mass and the impact rating of the hull sections it's very hard to damage these with aircraft...

So after playing around with it, the determining factor is the initial part of the craft and the elevation of it's COM.

It tracks altitude by the first placed part... This is why I believe I mentioned placing a hull part first. not the bow or stern. The default float of the Bow is about 5.5m off from the main floating hulls... this gets offset via code when the game loads, but is too late for the start over water.

Long lower hull sections first every time. Or if you start with the Con Tower all the time, change the drop height in the cfg to 16 perhaps.

I'll be sure to point this out in the video tutorial as well.

Good info BubbaWilkins.

Edited by InfiniteDice

It tracks altitude by the first placed part... This is why I believe I mentioned placing a hull part first. not the bow or stern. The default float of the Bow is about 5.5m off from the main floating hulls... this gets offset via code when the game loads, but is too late for the start over water.

Long lower hull sections first every time. Or if you start with the Con Tower all the time, change the drop height in the cfg to 16 perhaps.

I'll be sure to point this out in the video tutorial as well.

Good info BubbaWilkins.

Sadly, I had a full twin hull catamaran style ship completed when I ran into this problem. I scrapped it thinking it was too big before I learned the truth. But for all intents and purposes, all of the parts are too big for what I really want, which is something about half the height and size of your current parts list with room for a helipad at the back. Knowing what I know how...I may recreate it this evening.

And now, a little feedback:

1) The conning tower connection node needs to be shifted forward ever so slightly. Currently the model extends forward too far and will overhang an elevator when placed on a hull extension directly behind it.

2) The extending ramp collides with the top of the rear hull section when in the full upright closed position. Still collides when extended out by one small hanger deck piece.

3) You should add a connection node to the center/back of the front hull mid way between the hull and hanger deck for connection of the carrier I-Beams.

4) Speaking of the I-Beams, these appear to be center/surface connect only making end to end impossible. Unless I was just having issues because no suitable nodes were available to connect to.

5) Symmetry? was there a technical difficulty in implementing symmetry on the hull parts?

Future parts wish list:

1) Fully enclosed carrier stern.

2) 1/2 Height Bow & Stern combos with corresponding hull sides, and utility deck tops. Decks should have multiple nodes for connection of parts. Would make construction of smaller ships much more feasible.

3) Wider & symmetrical Conning tower for center placement.

4) Helipad, possibly even a retracting/elevator one large enough for the biggest rotor in Firespitter.

5) Bow and Stern pontoon ends for the current hull sections.

1) The conning tower connection node needs to be shifted forward ever so slightly. Currently the model extends forward too far and will overhang an elevator when placed on a hull extension directly behind it.

2) The extending ramp collides with the top of the rear hull section when in the full upright closed position. Still collides when extended out by one small hanger deck piece.

3) You should add a connection node to the center/back of the front hull mid way between the hull and hanger deck for connection of the carrier I-Beams.

4) Speaking of the I-Beams, these appear to be center/surface connect only making end to end impossible. Unless I was just having issues because no suitable nodes were available to connect to.

5) Symmetry? was there a technical difficulty in implementing symmetry on the hull parts?

1) I was aware of that, never wanted to put the tower too close to the lift as it's tight to turn that close.

2) There is a 3m hangar plug. Check the Narwhal the positioning is adjustable.

3+4) I don't use the I-beams anymore - structurally they aren't needed. For building more nodes could be added for more variety I agree.

5) Not possible or needed. Not too many things I do need symmetry, but with some parts I can see why you'd like it :)

I uhhh, ran into some uhhh, hey lookey over there.

No seriously, I had a catastrophic failure that somehow managed to allow nearly all of the parts to stay intact, yet the stern took on water while in reverse. I kept going and She sat in Davey Jones Locker. As I recall, I mouseclicked toggle on one engine and it spun (yes spun) the bow of the ship around and down she went. I also play alot with the buoyancy settings... It's the only ship I sank.

Hey InfiniteDice, I know it's a big ask, but could you make another, larger carrier, maybe 2 wide, with just the 1 super aircraft lift & many slots on the deck, maybe use the side extension from previous release? And could you please also upload it for download?

Thanks!

Espresso

I gotta chime in for Dice here. You gotta try it yourself, it's easy to do, I dropped one myself a page or two back (double bow) Dice needs to enjoy his summer IRL. We gotta let him enjoy his summer. The point of this release was for YOU to be able to build these great ships. Try it out man... it's a blast.

Latest version just floats for a little time and then tip over, +++ --- stuff dosen't really do anything. What am i doing wrong?

If you downloaded the mod within the first hour of it being released Saturday you might want to download it again...

If you're making your own carrier, make sure you place the Floating Hull section first. The long red/grey hull that sits in the water.

When the ship moves to the water on launch it has a drop distance that is assuming the hull was placed first.

You know something is wrong if a) your ship starts under water or B) your ship starts too high in the air and when it drops in... it sinks.

Good question ToomToomX...

They are the shaded areas of the right hand portion of the interior. Right beside where the ramp is placed for kerbals to look outside. This is one area I wanted to spend more time but ran out of time budget! I'll pretty this up in the future.

To find the door, just find the invisible ladder... :)

I gotta chime in for Dice here. You gotta try it yourself, it's easy to do, I dropped one myself a page or two back (double bow) Dice needs to enjoy his summer IRL. We gotta let him enjoy his summer. The point of this release was for YOU to be able to build these great ships. Try it out man... it's a blast.

Yeah, I guess you're right, maybe I'll try, I'll definitely at least edit the narwhal, and add some more slots on the deck, and remove 2 lifts (sorry InfiniteDice, but 3 is a bit too many for me, at least with only the 1, I can fit 3 more aircraft on deck.)

Better get the hangar expansion mod...Double hull sounds cool, and maybe I won't fail, granted I have my own carrier worthy plane, the shoehorn. Might just download yours Capt., if you post a link, I saw your post, and seriously it looks epic!