Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

This is a super fast 'proof of concept' build, I was just so happy it worked I thought Id share.

HEeOqzL.png

Now its time to find out how long I can make KAS cable for this......I have had some epic fails in this area before trying to make a munar pipeline.

edit: the con tower was showing 44meters depth at time of pic, I used the debugger...when im done testing ill erase my kethane save and let it reseed.

Question: The depth the con tower shows...where is that measured from?

edit edit: further testing and my barge is drilling kethane at 327meters down!

Edited by KhaosCorp

Altitude is measured from the first placed part. Whatever that was. I honestly think it's a bug or oversight, I think it should default to the first placed control cockpit/probe.

When building a carrier, start with a large floating section.

Ok something I noticed on a few landing attempts I thought I'd share with yall. The landing system has a bit or range to its grab. This ended up crashing a couple flights as I tried to land. My approach would be a bit to high, as I started to pull up the hook would start pulling toward the arrestor cable. Not enough to grab the plane to the deck, just enough to point my nose strait up...while I'm under almost no thrust. Both times this happened it ended up the plane flops tail first into the water just past the bow.

Not an issue if your good at landing...if your not so good (like me) and miss DONT PULL UP right away, throttle up then maneuver.

I was using included Shark jet.....it was kinda amussing to watch though....

Yeah first rule of cable and hook landings is to throttle up as soon as you hit the deck, that way you'll have enough energy to get airborne.

Noticed something a bit odd as I continue my barge testing. The 'depth below ship' only seems to go to 600meters. After that it shows '-1'.

And I was kinda joking about the VADS, but it looks like maybe that's in fact what ya did. 30mm cannons....sign me up!!!!!

Noticed something a bit odd as I continue my barge testing. The 'depth below ship' only seems to go to 600meters. After that it shows '-1'.

And I was kinda joking about the VADS, but it looks like maybe that's in fact what ya did. 30mm cannons....sign me up!!!!!

Yep. I've known that for months... not sure why it reports -1 just past somewhere in the 600+ range. It wasn't of much concern to me as the depth was more for clearance to bottom awareness.

If I find a solution to that I'll update it of course.

I might be able to just add a raycast and report the distance to hit. In fact that should work great... :)

A good working cannon? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!!!!

It's a demo I'm playing around with. My goal is to Goalkeep :) I want it to auto-track targets... so it can take care of pesky mosquitoes flying around the carrier... all on it's own.

If this does work will there be different sized cannons (BIG ONES :)). and will there be a self reloading type thing

yea i know you might not know the answers to these questions yet but just throwing them out there.

If this does work will there be different sized cannons (BIG ONES :)). and will there be a self reloading type thing

yea i know you might not know the answers to these questions yet but just throwing them out there.

My idea for now is that the code will support any size projectile. Of course models should match the projectiles fired. (no battleship shells from a pistol)...

Magazines have capacities, and right now you need to EVA to reload - I did this on purpose. I may also have a requirement that you need to be within X distance of an ammo crate or other supply structure for the kerbal to rearm it. Possibly the gun itself could be mounted to an ammo part... that could allow for a larger capacity before needing a formal reloading. Ships for example will have the ability to have magazines much larger than an aircraft.

The cannon in the pic has a 30 burst capacity. After that the plane lands and billy-bob kermin can rearm it.

InfiniteDice, You Sir, have really done more than you need for us, cannons, we'll take them! Folding Wings, we'll take them! Torpedoes, we'll take them! Boats, we'll take them! Rocket pods, We'll take them! Submarines, we'll take them! Great Job, and we, as a community, can't thank you enough.

p.s. I realize that some of the stuff listed above may not be coming out anymore, but from you, just boats is enough, because, no one could make a better mod. Keep it up!:cool:

Edited by Espresso

Love the idea of EVA reloads. You say the cannons on the jet have 30round capacity, is that per cannon or do multiple cannons hopper from same magazine?

Also is that gonna be part of naval parts pack?

Gonna be awesome to arm my navy!!! Thinking of making a fighter jet trainer course....boat targets on the water, land targets near by, and simulated air targets via KAS and Hooligan blimps.

2rwvwur.jpg

Kiss that goodbye!

2v3ldaf.jpg

And that!

ae5fdf.jpg

Observing the destruction on the battlefield... twisted metal and Cubic projectile by-products.... :) Don't worry, the cubes will be removed later... I like to see them during testing.

The only thing better than a boat... is a boat that can shoot back! [insert imagination here]. Innocent boats everywhere will appreciate what I'm going to accomplish with this. :)

Edited by InfiniteDice

Hey guys, I've got to report a bug.

Its a bug I've experienced in the past with some planes, one specific in my mind is a 'stuka' plane I made with firespitter propeller.

I'm flying my helicopter (firespitter rotor) around, I landed and docked it to my carrier. I made sure that the control point was my chopper, I undocked it, and took off. It flew straight up, a didn`t respond to inputs. Its a bug where the thing doesn't seem to rotate at all. It can fly up and down, forward back, etc, but doesn't rotate. I smack one wing on the side of the carrier, and it still is just sitting straight up and down.

Another thing I noticed, is when I undocked the helicopter, the carrier was the control point by default, so I used [ and ] to switch to the heli. However, it decided to switch to some floating debris nearby, and when I cycled through all of it with ], I got back to the carrier, and the heli was gone. Thankfully I had quicksaved.

One last thing, in previous versions of boat parts, I could land plane, quick save, switch to carrier, lower ramp, switch to plane, etc. Now, you can't quicksave or even switch because I'm 'in atmosphere'.

One last thing, in previous versions of boat parts, I could land plane, quick save, switch to carrier, lower ramp, switch to plane, etc. Now, you can't quicksave or even switch because I'm 'in atmosphere'.

Now you don't have to, an EVA kerbal can activate the ramps and elevators. For instance you can get a plane from flight deck, put it on an elevator and hit brakes, EVA the pilot and activate the elevator, hop back in and your good to go for hangar deck.

Hey guys, I've got to report a bug.

I landed and docked it to my carrier. I made sure that the control point was my chopper, I undocked it, and took off. It flew straight up, a didn`t respond to inputs. Its a bug where the thing doesn't seem to rotate at all. ... I could land plane, quick save, switch to carrier, lower ramp, switch to plane, etc. Now, you can't quicksave or even switch because I'm 'in atmosphere'.

Well there are bound to be issues somewhere.

I'm guessing 99% of the people don't have issues, it could only be with helicopters?

I use the lift all the time and I'm able to switch to and from even with the lift in motion... even with a kerbal running around on the lift.

After docking the chopper don't quicksave. Try just going to the KSC via the menu and then going back to the carrier... or after your quicksave do a quick load right away.

Let us know your findings. Thanks.

A goalkeeper CIWS! k_shocked.gif I knew my suggestion would get through! k_smiley.gif. Are you guys recycling DYJ's GAU-19 code by any chance... I was just wondering.

I've had this as a 'to-do' item ever since watching youtube videos of the ships being hit by missiles.

As for the DYJ gun, it uses a slightly different approach to mine, the only real similarity being that they both shoot stuff.

This won't be one gun... it's a multi-capable set. Meaning flak, auto-cannons, battleship guns a Napoleonic cannon if you wanted... howitzers, grenade launcher if you wanted... machine guns, flare gun (light up the sky at night).

I'm not gonna make all the models for those... I'm making maybe one of each type to showcase then that's it.

Other models could be made by other people, and plugged into the mod. All of which will be in the Damage System I'm writing. The guns will be able to affect vanilla parts - as you can see in the pics... but will have special meaning and usage while interacting with parts marked as targets within the damage system.

Edited by InfiniteDice