[WIP] THSS - Tri-Hexagonal Structural Strut

Semni

I love the aesthetics of this mod. Between this, B9, and LLL, I think I'm going to be able to make some beautiful ships and stations. I noticed, though, that there doesn't appear to be an adapter to go directly between octo-strut and tri-hex struts. I may have missed it, since I only just tried this pack out last night (and havent played since) but thought that was a little odd. One of the two adapters seems like it should fill that role, but it just goes to a smaller version of the octo strut. Not sure if that's for a size you have planned or what.

Also, I, too, noticed the extra kerbals. It's a simple oversight- one line in the cfg.

CrewCapacity = 0
needs to be added. I'm not sure if the position matters, but if it does, the stock parts have that line between the asset parameters and node definitions.

Anyway, looking forward to playing around with this pack some more later.

You've got these bits?

vesselType = Probe
CrewCapacity = 0

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCommand
minimumCrew = 0
}

CrewCapacity = 0 is what I missed because it's mixed into the stock probe cfgs near the top instead of down with everything else like I expected

Seems if you don't define CrewCapacity it defaults to 3

I'm loving the look of this, and I hate you for making me redo all my existing space stations. :P

BTW, the THSS-001-C description implies that it has an RTG and decent rotPower, but it appears to have neither (identical stats to the Okto).

EDIT: One more quibble -- the big fuel tank is more than double the size of the big orange stock tank, but holds just a sliver more fuel?

Edited by Gaius

EDIT: One more quibble -- the big fuel tank is more than double the size of the big orange stock tank, but holds just a sliver more fuel?

I noticed that too Gaius, that's why I created alternate tanks with the following values (I played arround in the VAB and estimated that the small octo tank fuel bags could fit appriximately 7 of the THSS-01-Lf fuel bags in them):-

OctoStrutShortFuelMX
RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 2484
maxAmount = 2484
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = 3036
maxAmount = 3036
}

OctoStrutFuelMX
RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 7452
maxAmount = 7452
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = 9108
maxAmount = 9108
}

This means that the ships i'm trying to fill in orbit currnetly have more than 19K of liquid fuel each (or they will when I finish sending refueling tankers to them) A bit overkill, but what the heck.

Now i'm debating wether to make a MK03 that uses Bluegoblin's new cargo bay module, which i probably will do tbh :cool:

I suddenly have respect for people who hold back their parts and release in stages with many updates rather than every time they have something that works. At least they're not torturing people who like their parts, making them constantly want to wait for an upcoming release before launching a big mission.

*continues to wait in frustration for B9 2.6*

Maaaaaaybe I'm over thinking that...

You will be pleased to know that since the last update I've pretty much given the OctoTank double the fuel of the big orange tank after realizing that while it is comperable in length it is more than twice as wide. Yep, I'm a little slow that way sometimes.

As for the probe, yeah, that's going to be fixed and it's abilities are going to be beefed up, it got turned into practically a regular probe because of the glitchyness I was experiencing before.

As for the creative persuits of others, Myth, that looks amazing, that just truely blew me away. And Blue, that's looking great, you have now officially surpassed me on the texturing and animation front. Looking good man.

Hehe, yeah. In fact, it should probably be about triple. Observe:

compare1.jpg

Way more than twice the size, look at the room between the Rockomax tanks, plus all the room above. I'd ballpark it at about triple the size.

Uh, guys? May i have a request of sorts? What about cargo bay/hangar for rovers? It seems i am utterly incapable of coming with a skycrane/lander design, that will stay stable and not start doing corkscrews immediately after decoupling from its booster.

Uh, guys? May i have a request of sorts? What about cargo bay/hangar for rovers? It seems i am utterly incapable of coming with a skycrane/lander design, that will stay stable and not start doing corkscrews immediately after decoupling from its booster.
Well, the piece I just released can hold a fair sized rover I think, if you land it horizontally on legs.

If you give me specifics of your needs or even draw me designs I'll jump on it. I have a few side project things I'm working on but I'm always happy to do requests. That goes for anyone - if you want just PM me what you're looking for and I might give it a go. :D

Edit: I played with the GE-200 some and find it a tad limiting for large or kermanned rovers. There is a bit of a need there I suppose. I think though, if you're making a large enough rover, it should be the whole payload. Having a ship that lands and a huge rover rolls out of is a bit odd IMO. I might decide to work on a larger garage / bay piece, but if I make one it will probably have a different style of door. This was kind of an experiment with exporting vertex motion to Unity and it wasn't much fun (also seems to be more taxing on hardware).

Edited by Bluegobln

I just ran into an issue with the Octo Garage part.

It passed right through the launch pad and exploded. This is an issue that has come up with other modders parts at the pad as well.

Even stock parts sink into it a little. But if I attach something to the bottom, then it is OK.

In case anyone needs them and since spaceport still has the old version of the octo fuel tanks(with the small amount of fuel) - I have updated both fuel tanks to hold 2 Orange 2.5m tanks + 1 half 2.5m fuel tank worth of fuel. Masses have been updated appropriately, even with a little tolerance since I only included the orange tanks mass.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea22jqmo61mo2av/Tanks.zip

Any chance of a Octo->many tri-strut adaptor? Mainly for putting the tri-strut sized engines on (you can get them on the octo-> 5 small adaptor but it looks a bit funny....launches well though).

Also the stock seperators dont have fuel cross feed to stop early stages nomnoming all your fuel, could this be taken out/made a rightclick option for the tri-strut seperator?

Love the mod, they make really nice looking 'industrial maguffins' for bases and stations.

p.s. an adaptor for your stuff --> LLL hulls might be pretty awesome.

p.s. an adaptor for your stuff --> LLL hulls might be pretty awesome.
I'd be happy to, just need the approximate measurements of the piece. I can rough it out if I need to but its easier if I just know it. Wanna ask for me? lol

most LLL stuff is based on even metered rectangles, with 2x2m and 2x4m being the most common, but there's a chamfer on the corners that I haven't the slightest clue the dimension of, it is a clean 45 degrees though.

Octo - > 2 LLL 2m

Octo -> 3 LLL 2m

Octo -> 4 LLL 2m

adapters vertically would be great. Kind of like the octo -> 2x 2m right now, must be very easy to make, just change the node locations and add rectangle vertical black "placement things"(for lack of better word).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmwwx4f9cao6jea/screenshot59.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvv2iye9zeubw4b/screenshot58.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hysjg7opv9r3jhq/screenshot57.png

Edited by smunisto

Here's my list then:

- Octo -> (2) LLL standard 2x1

- Octo -> (3) LLL standard 2x1

- Octo -> (1) LLL standard 4x2 (horizontally)

- THSS -> (1) LLL standard 2x1

- (2) THSS -> (1) LLL standard 2x1 (similar to my 2.5m to 2x THSS)

- Flat LLL style piece with a THSS mount for placing on the sides of LLL pieces Same thing as the below part lol...

- THSS -> LLL standard 1x1

Please note that these may take some time. I'm now working on something like 3 simultaneous projects (sort of). I will probably release several at a time and put the whole thing on Spaceport when its done.

Thanks Lack for sharing the specifics so the parts will match up perfecto! :D

Edited by Bluegobln

They're meant to be panels that you simply place on the appropriate pieces where you want them, rather than having pre-paneled parts. This way gives you more control over the placement of those panels, but it does increase part count.

Because he understands some people may prefer the other way for reduced part count, I think he made the old versions available in the main post.

The link is here.

No worries if you didn't spot it, its sorta hidden in the update list. *salute*

Man you are great. Never become an official dev, tends to take away the "listen to the people part" of the job ;)
Takes away from the "here's money so you can not be broke" part too. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.