[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Also, If I could make a small suggestion, what would you think about a 2.5-to-2.5 meter version of the SLA?

The Apollo CM was not designed for smaller rockets it was made specificaly for the larger ones so its a bit difficult. You could just as easily use another 2m engine.

I could add a bottom node to the engine, but it sometimes gets in the way when building the the LEM right under it. It is a tight fit and the last thing you want to do is attach it to the engine bell instead of the decoupler.

I think I figured out what your dV problem is there, I just remembered that the Apollo missions didn't circularize on the return trajectory, they just went straight in. The capsule heat shields were built to take the high speed reentry.

If you use aerobraking you can significantly reduce the amount of fuel you need to circularize your orbit. 32k to 34k works pretty good coming from the mun.

This is the sort of feedback I need at this stage, I want it to be challenging but not frustrating for new players and easy but not feel like its cheating for old players.

Also I have not done any Tech Tree optimizations. I was going to put the Saturn V stuff at the end in the tech tree in the Tier 7 section. The tech tree almost seems a bit too small for my needs.

I have been greatly enjoying Jonnothin's Reorganized Tech Tree. It's large enough that it takes a good amount of playtime to work through, and feels well organized.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78103-WIP-Reorganized-Tech-Tree-Alpha-0-0-4-KSPI-NO-LONGER-REQUIRED

The Apollo CM was not designed for smaller rockets it was made specificaly for the larger ones so its a bit difficult. You could just as easily use another 2m engine.

I could add a bottom node to the engine, but it sometimes gets in the way when building the the LEM right under it. It is a tight fit and the last thing you want to do is attach it to the engine bell instead of the decoupler.

If you use aerobraking you can significantly reduce the amount of fuel you need to circularize your orbit. 32k to 34k works pretty good coming from the mun.

that's ok, I just thought it might be a handy thing to have. Just for testing purposes I managed to put one, with half fuel and a detuned poodle engine, up in a 70km orbit using a Titan II and a couple of the SLS SRBs.

I have an issue when I select the Apollo SM or the FASA Apollo-Saturn V craft it crashes the game, plus a lot of craft files are invalid/locked, this is in sandbox

as far as the invalid .crafts, did you delete the old version of FASA before installing the new version? Frizzank changed a few of the Apollo parts to not conflict with Denny's version. Older .crafts might not be compatible.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I got 3.86, then added 4.5

Deleted the reflection shader, it works thanks :-)

Another question, when launching the CSM with S-1B, should I launch with the SM fuel tanks full or should I take some out? I am using up roughly 50% SM fuel to get to 75km

yeah, they never launched the CSM with full tanks on the Saturn 1B.

I was pleasantly surprised by the dV of the Saturn 1B though, I launched one with no payload (my own version of the AS-203 test) and the SIVB had 3 km/s left by the time it reached orbit. I'm sure that won't be the case once I add a payload.

I also just noticed that Frizzank built science experiments into the Gemini Fuelpack, that's awesome, so I don't have to clutter it up with external experiments anymore.

And the handrails on the Apollo SM were a nice touch, it makes EVA much easier.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Has anyone else strapped four Saturn IBs on to the first stage of the Saturn V?

I have and I have to tell you... it will go far!

No but I did cobble together a Saturn II INT-18 with 4 of the White Titan SRBs and a modified SII Stage. Used the S1C engine plate to get my 5 J-2s further apart than the stock SII engine plate. I also used the S1C fuel tank instead of the SII Fuel tank. S-IV was with 3 J-2 engines (using the 5 engine plate from the default S-II stage.)

Ideally the Nodes would be different for the J-2s instead of the F-1s (and obviously I didn't use the F-1's bell housing/fins.) All drawings I have of the INT-18 have the 5 J-2s enshrouded and the bottom of the stage looks like the bottom of a cylinder, no engines sticking out. Not sure aerodynamically or thermodynamically how sound that concept was but that was how she was drawn.

So modding question. Are nodes just in the .cfg file or do they need to be edited in Unity? I feel the need to create a custom engine stands for both my Saturn II S-II stage and S-IV stage.

TIA

Has anyone else strapped four Saturn IBs on to the first stage of the Saturn V?

I have and I have to tell you... it will go far!

Thats for scrubs. I use full Saturn V's as boosters.

Not really, but I'm toying with the idea of building such a rocket. Perhaps even using some kind of onion staging.

Incidentally, Friz may want to look into increasing the fragility of the LEM. I again had an instance where I landed on a crater's rim and then bounced and slid a severe distance away with little to no damage done even though I was hitting 50m/s for most of the ride.

You can see here how far I slid. The crater rim in the foreground is where I tried to touch down (I warped past my breaking point so I couldn't slow down fast enough) and then in the distance that white speck right in the middle is where I ended up after bouncing and sliding.

1F22329FA99B7FE0ABF8F67D14658B240F56581A

Thats for scrubs. I use full Saturn V's as boosters.

Not really' date=' but I'm toying with the idea of building such a rocket. Perhaps even using some kind of onion staging.

Incidentally, Friz may want to look into increasing the fragility of the LEM. I again had an instance where I landed on a crater's rim and then bounced and slid a severe distance away with little to no damage done even though I was hitting 50m/s for most of the ride.

You can see here how far I slid. The crater rim in the foreground is where I tried to touch down (I warped past my breaking point so I couldn't slow down fast enough) and then in the distance that white speck right in the middle is where I ended up after bouncing and sliding.

~SNIP~

[/quote']

"This is blasphemy! This is madness!"

So modding question. Are nodes just in the .cfg file or do they need to be edited in Unity? I feel the need to create a custom engine stands for both my Saturn II S-II stage and S-IV stage.

TIA

Nodes can be defined in the .cfg or in the model its self, all mine are in the cfg

Incidentally, Friz may want to look into increasing the fragility of the LEM

I dont know whats going on, it has a crash tolerance of 12, at 13 m/s it should explode

"This is blasphemy! This is madness!"

MORE BOOSTERS!!!

fixed some stuff, I did almost a complete re-edit of the tech tree. I moved the Gemini and Agena parts down a teir and spread out the s1b and Saturn V parts to other tech nodes that were largely empty. I also moved the Winged Gemini into the experimentals at the end of the tree.

Also for what ever reason the reflection shader on the CM and SM were causing errors to be thrown and really slowing things down so I removed them from the cfg.

http://www./download/ebvrzrl7evafg8v/FASA4.60.zip

Removed the reflection shader form dennys SM and CM, they were causing huge amounts of lag.

Took a pass on the tech tree for all the parts, should be more fun/balanced now and less MIA parts.

Moved Sargent (Explorer SRB) nodes to make placement a bit more intuitive and useful for other small probes.

Added craft files back in and included some history blurbs.

Frizzank, do you have plans for FASA after the Saturn V is complete, or are you going to take suggestions at the point?

Also, are you working on your own Apollo capsule and service module? Denny's is fine and all, but the amount of detail that is modeled lags my computer a bit. I would like a capsule made by you because you use bump maps for details which is less stress on the computer.

I removed the reflection module on the CM and SM in the latest release and it helped a lot as far as lag and loading of the part.

Frizzank, do you have plans for FASA after the Saturn V is complete

Im going to take a break for a while and then work on this, as it is completely different than everything else I have done for KSP.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78224-Capital-ship-mod

I removed the reflection module on the CM and SM in the latest release and it helped a lot as far as lag and loading of the part.

Im going to take a break for a while and then work on this, as it is completely different than everything else I have done for KSP.

Awesome!!!

Well, that's fine, I suppose... Still, I think that FASA could use one more addition: the Centaur upper stage for Atlas/Titan, and the RL-10 engine. It's just about the only major thing FASA could use, without delving into making a new rocket altogether. I really wish we had that, lack of a proper, 2.5m Centaur is the only thing preventing me from replicating certain proposed Gemini missions, as well as Voyager and Viking.

Edited by Guest

r a while and then work on this, as it is completely different than everything else I have done for KSP.

Hey Frizz, you have you played eve online? I would be very delighted to fly some eveo super caps in KSP lulz. Yep, a joyful break is definitly needed after this long dev of this brilliant mod. Thank you.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070412043833/egamia/images/2/2b/Eve_chart.jpg

I have a request for a relatively small part. I want to use the LEM docking port on stations but without a recessed adaptor it doesn't look right when I attach it. Plus, if you have time an Apollo-Soyuz adaptor would be awesome.

Well, that's fine, I suppose... Still, I think that FASA could use one more addition: the Centaur upper stage for Atlas/Titan, and the RL-10 engine

No.

I have a request for a relatively small part. I want to use the LEM docking port on stations but without a recessed adaptor it doesn't look right when I attach it. Plus, if you have time an Apollo-Soyuz adaptor would be awesome.

It is just a size 0 docking port(Clamp O'tron JR) The spiked and recessed collision are the only things making it hard to dock with other ports. You can put the regular sized docking port and then the Apollo ones on top of it and you get a somewhat pleasing docking port from it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.