[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

REQUEST

Extended fuel tank/tanks for creation of various Apollo Applications Program proposed lift vehicles like the Saturn V ELV. (Basically, a Saturn V with stretched first, second, and possibly third stages that had uprated engines and four Titan IV solid rocket boosters. The S-IVB, or MS-IVB as it was referred to in this proposal, and it's interstage could be omitted to enable lifting of 200,000 kg to orbit. Definitely useful for building Mun bases and such)

There is criticism and there's being a jerk all the time, I seen alot of your post and you must have alot of personal problem.

Still, he does hold a point in that post. While there are some people at these forums who have the Entitlement Syndrome, there are also a lot of people who are falsely accused of it. And oftenly, the addon makers do actually take suggestions/requests/demands/whatever better than their fans.

Anyway, Frizzank, with those rules in mind, I'd like to suggest a 6xRL10 engine, as it will allow players to create a Saturn I, Saturn C2 and Saturn C3 (just off the top of my head), and a Jupiter 246 when used alongside Tiberion's SBS. I don't think a single RL-10 engine would be that useful, as it would need to be clustered anyway for most purposes.

I feel a little sad hearing that FASA is going to hibernation. I remember the old times when there was only Gemini and Mercury, and the Mercury pod was just the stock Mk 1 pod. It's been one hell of a ride that you've taken all of us on, Frizzank, and by the looks of it you're finishing it off with a bang. Just remember to take a good long pause when FASA is finished. You've earned it many times over.

Yes here is fine.

I'd like to suggest a 6xRL10 engine

In this case I would modify the SI-B J2 single engine mounting plate to hold 6 engines, and just make one RL-10, that way other mounting plates could be made for it.

Yes here is fine.

In this case I would modify the SI-B J2 single engine mounting plate to hold 6 engines, and just make one RL-10, that way other mounting plates could be made for it.

That does sound like a better idea.

REQUEST

Surface-attachable RL-10 (1.25m autoshroud, no thrust plate).

Seeing as we can only request a single part, it makes sense to pick something powerful and flexible. RL-10 would, by far, allow the most interesting possibilities, but the problem is, each would require a fuel tank to go with it. Since we have a 3m tank, and a silvery 2m one, as well as the needed fairings, we could, in theory, make both S-IV and Centaur only with them and an surface-mountable RL-10. A Centaur would effectively complete the Titan and early Atlas families, and S-IV is a good idea, too, but we just don't have a "request budget" for the tanks. Therefore, an RL-10 opens up the most possibilities, especially that FASA doesn't really have a 1.25m upper stage engine now (J-2 is overpowered for most small rocket applications). With surface attachment, it should be possible to make most of the configurations imaginable, and FASA already has fairings suited to covering up such a setup.

Alternatively, chalk this one up for the RL-10+mounting plates idea, but I wouldn't support a fixed cluster, neither 6x or 2x.

Edited by Guest

Well, keep in mind that Denny TX announced he'll be making both, and Skylab would have to be multiple parts to be any good, so it's not really "in spirit" of this request call.

May I request a block vote? A lot of parts would be useless just on their own, except maybe engines. I'd love to build Skylab, but just one part wouldn't be enough to do that. Two parts would already go a long way to build something resembling Skylab. Those two would be the Airlock Module and the square Solar Array on the side of the Skylab. A block vote would eliminate the second part voting round, but seeing as a lot of people seem to want Skylab parts I think a lot wouldn't mind.

If this block vote is not possible, I request the dual chamber Centaur engine. There were just so many Atlas, Titan and Saturn designs that relied on that and the stats and look is different enough from the Transtage to warrant my vote.

Request

I am gonna go outside the box and request the NERVA engine. I think being able to launch Duna missions as they were planned for Mars in the 60's and 70's before it was cancelled is a really fun idea.

I would second Skylab but I have to agree with Dragon I don't think requesting Skylab isn't fair considering it could be an entire build separate from FASA. Plus I know Denny is gonna be working on it in the future so in that respect I guess I would request that Denny's Skylab be compatible with FASA as I prefer your Saturn V over Dennys.

Edited by sp1989

How about a payload fairing for the Saturn V like skylab?

Request

I am gonna go outside the box and request the NERVA engine. I think being able to launch Duna missions as they were planned for Mars in the 60's and 70's before it was cancelled is a really fun idea.

I would second Skylab but I have to agree with Dragon I don't think requesting Skylab is fair considering it could be an entire build separate from FASA. Plus I know Denny is gonna be working on it in the future so in that respect I guess I would request that Denny's Skylab be compatible with FASA as I prefer your Saturn V over Dennys.

KSP has a NERVA engine :P

Wow, I am stunned. I open myself up to some charity and it is less than a page when everyone piles on and wants a whole new skylab mod.

ONE PART, AND ONE PART ONLY

Skylab is not one part, its a whole freaking space station!

image_gallery?uuid=c9be3a3e-66db-454d-9bc1-3a861839a29e&groupId=163813&t=1339959459366

An Apollo-Soyuz docking module, anyone

I like it considering Denny is now doing a Soyuz but im pretty sure he thought of that already...

A magnetometer for it would be cool. You could just make it act like a gravioli scanner.

I would like to do more probe parts, and I do appreciate the more thoughtful of you that actually read the rules and not just the header.

Edited by frizzank

Wow, I am stunned. I open myself up to some charity and it is less than a page when everyone piles on and wants a whole new skylab mod.

ONE PART, AND ONE PART ONLY

Skylab is not one part, its a whole freaking space station!

https://directory.eoportal.org/image/image_gallery?uuid=c9be3a3e-66db-454d-9bc1-3a861839a29e&groupId=163813&t=1339959459366

I would like to do more probe parts, and I do appreciate the more thoughtful of you that actually read the rules and not just the header.

What I meant was just the fuselage part of the Skylab. The fuel tank/dry workshop section.

But, I would like to see a 1970s NERVA.

Denny is doing the Skylab, the fairings are already out, and I remember him mentioning that he has a partially finished model in the works already. Same goes for ASTP, no point in FASA duplicating it, especially that if Denny makes the compartment, he'll be able to fit it exactly so that it works well with his Soyuz. Such systems, when cobbled together from multiple mods by multiple authors, have a nasty habit of not fitting together, or bugging out on docking. Denny's S-IVB happens to be 3.75m, so his Skylab will have to be scaled the same. Meaning including it into FASA would be possible, since it's mostly self-contained, and the important part will be the correct size.

BTW, the Voyager is done already: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12106-0-23-Lionhead-Aerospace-Inc-ESA-pack-and-Icarus-updated?highlight=Lionhead

This (and Viking) is partly why I want the Centaur so badly.

How about a payload fairing for the Saturn V like skylab?

KSP has a NERVA engine :P

KSP has liquid engines, command pods, solar panels too :P. I was thinking more the 60's/70's style NERVA engine maybe more powerful than the stock KSP engine but less efficient? Still capable of getting to DUNA and back.

Edited by sp1989

KSP has liquid engines, command pods, solar panels too :P. I was thinking more the 60's/70's style NERVA engine maybe more powerful than the stock KSP engine but less efficient? Still capable of getting to DUNA and back.

So the Nuclear engines aren't NERVA then?

I think the reason most people have been asking for Skylab is because its the last big project NASA did before the shuttles and before the cut-off date for this mod, although ASTP was also huge (mostly in political terms though).

I'd love to build Skylab, but just one part wouldn't be enough to do that.

I am in agreement with others who would like to be able to build Skylab. It would be nice if we didn't have to use just an empty S-IVB stage and "pretend" it could hold crew or perform science. What would be needed to make that part into something that works like the mobile lab?

What I meant was just the fuselage part of the Skylab. The fuel tank/dry workshop section.

Exactly. That's the one part I'd most need to make this work.

So the Nuclear engines aren't NERVA then?

I think the reason most people have been asking for Skylab is because its the last big project NASA did before the shuttles and before the cut-off date for this mod, although ASTP was also huge (mostly in political terms though).

No they aren't NERVA engines. NASA developed and very nearly produced nuclear engines to convert the Saturn V into a ship that went to Mars. If you stick the incompleted M-1 engines to the bottom of the Saturn make everything a little bigger and attach the NERVA engine to the bottom of the service module you basically get the NOVA rocket which was supposed to get us to Mars in 1978 but they cut the funding way before that could happen. Think of the F-1 engines as a SECOND STAGE! It would have been epic!

Nova_Rocket.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.