[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Escape system action group...

I have the tower pulling the CM free on the abort action group.... and for when the escape is complete... I tried to set up F10 to release the CM from the tower... but no joy. The "decouple" action for the tower doesn't seem to work, and I didn't see anything in the CM that would allow it... There is the parachute shroud... but it's hidden beneath the escape system.

Anyway, I'm at a loss as to how to set it up.

Also, there seems to be a ton of manual controls scattered about the LM consoles... is there a map of the controls compiled anywhere?

Finding the front door control was cool... (Black knob right in front of the LMP). And one of the switches seems to scoot the commander to the floor near the door... but I've forgotten exactly which...

frizzank your parts are absolutely gorgeous! You are amazing! Now that this set is practically completed, you should turn your attention (if you have any strength left) to Sci-Fi parts like 2001, Alien, Flash Gordon, UFO, Space 1999, etc... You are an artist extraordinaire!

FELICITAS TEMPOR REPARATIO

Escape system action group...

I have the tower pulling the CM free on the abort action group.... and for when the escape is complete... I tried to set up F10 to release the CM from the tower... but no joy. The "decouple" action for the tower doesn't seem to work, and I didn't see anything in the CM that would allow it... There is the parachute shroud... but it's hidden beneath the escape system.

Anyway, I'm at a loss as to how to set it up.

Also, there seems to be a ton of manual controls scattered about the LM consoles... is there a map of the controls compiled anywhere?

Finding the front door control was cool... (Black knob right in front of the LMP). And one of the switches seems to scoot the commander to the floor near the door... but I've forgotten exactly which...

The decouple action should be working, but if you're doing it after the tower runs out of solid propellant, then it'll stick to the CM until it starts to fall back down to the planet. Its best to hit the decouple action just before it runs out of fuel so the thrust clears it from the CM.

The decouple action should be working' date=' but if you're doing it after the tower runs out of solid propellant, then it'll stick to the CM until it starts to fall back down to the planet. Its best to hit the decouple action just before it runs out of fuel so the thrust clears it from the CM.[/quote']

If you stage it (ie, put its symbol, the solid booster, between the second stage and the CSM/2nd stage separation) it will fire AND decouple

Noticed a few issues with the Saturn .craft files. First off, the IV-B stage had two Auxiliary Propulsion Systems. You've given it three in the Saturn V file, which makes it unbalanced RCS wise. The Saturn 1B file has no APS at all. Also the stage separation thing you added was not added to the S-1B at all and only between the 1st-2nd stage of the Saturn V. It also needs to be between the 2nd-3rd stage decoupler (as its description even mentions).

This is an update on the status of my interstellar craft launched with two Saturn Vs. Okay, after much designing and redesigning, I managed to get the craft into space and out of orbit. It's on it's way to Duna now. I will post pics of the whole mission when I can.

Update 2:

"This just in... we are receiving word that the mission... has suffered a catastrophic failure..."

Okay, turns out the craft doesn't have enough fuel to get home... it will get to Duna, using the lander fuel and then fuel from the landing capsules, but... I'm going have to launch a second mission with a refueler. Hopefully I can get the refueler there without any problem, otherwise... Jeb, Bob, Bill, Donbus, Thompster, and Obgun are doomed to circle Duna forever.

Looks like I didn't have enough boosters lol

Edited by GoldForest

The decouple action should be working' date=' but if you're doing it after the tower runs out of solid propellant, then it'll stick to the CM until it starts to fall back down to the planet. Its best to hit the decouple action just before it runs out of fuel so the thrust clears it from the CM.[/quote']

Thanks a bunch... I thought I had tried that... but I suspect that I was hitting F10, instead of "0". Doh!

Works great.

What an amazing mod.

There is a rover... when you make one. Plenty of stock rover parts.... but we'd agree, that a LR look-alike would be a fine idea.

Actually there is a really good LRV in bobcats American pack. It looks very much like the LRV from the 60s and it fits on the box.

You need KAS installed. Afterwards you can just stick them to the side and KAS will allow your EVAing Kerbal to grab them and deploy them on the ground.

so, there isn't a way to get them to all fit neatly in the ALSEP box?

Update 3: So I made it to Duna, but I had to use the fuel from the return to Orbit lander, the crew decent capsules, and the Kerbin return Capsule.

The crew decent capsules are two Odins and the kerbin return capsule is the Freyja from Nova Punch.

Now to launch the refueler lol. I need to get 4815 LF, 5885 O, and around 3 to 4K of Mono to refuel the craft lol

Wish me luck...

Update 4: So obviously to meet the LFO requirement of my craft, I need to launch four of the Saturn V third stage tanks with a single engine mount... Oh boy... And This mission is all single launches so... I need to get four tanks into orbit, out of orbit, to Duna, into orbit, then dock it with the craft... This is going to be FUN

Update 5: Screw the one lift rule. If I followed it I would have to take seven tanks up to orbit. That's just impossible... well... not impossible, but my computer couldn't handle to the lag of a launch vehicle that size.

Edited by GoldForest

There is a rover... when you make one. Plenty of stock rover parts.... but we'd agree, that a LR look-alike would be a fine idea.

None of the rovers I build capable of supporting 2 Kerbals will fit in the box.

Additionally, where's the light switch in the LEM? Can't read any of the labels due to ATM compressing and resizing the interior textures, making the text blurry. Nevermind, found it.

Edited by Einarr

Hey, Frizz, I know you don't take requests, but I had an idea for a very simple (probably less than half an hour's work) part that could be useful for certain applications, like rovers and such, and would also fit nicely into the Space Race feel of FASA. It's just a simple little box, probably about the size of the PresMat barometer or the Gravioli detector, that has only one purpose: It's a container that holds Science data. This would be beneficial for simulating Apollo J missions (the ones with the LRV), because it would allow you to hit more than two stations on a single EVA without having to return to the LM to drop off samples and crew reports; instead, you could just store them in the box on the rover and bring them all back in a single trip. (This would also be similarly valuable for a minimalist manned Eve landing, since it would allow the use of MOOSE/LESS-style external seating.) Just a suggestion, not pushing it or anything--only reason I haven't done it is that I can't afford 3D modeling software, much less the time to learn it.

For those who were clamoring for Minuteman first stages to use as SRBs on evolved Saturns, the smallest of the three stock SRBs is actually very close to it in size. Going by Encyclopedia Astronautica, the Minuteman-1 (TX-55) stage proposed as such would scale down to about 1.1m diameter, and 4.8m tall, which is quite close to the size of the RT-10 (1.25m diameter and looks to be about four times that in height, so about 5m tall). You'd need to do a configuration edit, however; using the 64% rule three-dimensionally for mass, you end up with the TX-55 scaling down to 6.05 tons full mass, 0.6 tons dry mass, and 207.4 kN thrust. The TX-55 had an Isp. of 237s surface, 262s vacuum, and a total burn time of 60 seconds. So if you hack the .cfg for the RT-10, you could get a very close TX-55 clone to use on your evolved Saturn MLVs.

And now, off to KSP, to work on that crewed Eve return. I think I should be able to get a nice minimalist two-man spacecraft to low orbit if I can land a fully-fueled Saturn V-Transtage and keep it upright... ;)

Hey, Frizz, I know you don't take requests, but I had an idea for a very simple (probably less than half an hour's work) part that could be useful for certain applications, like rovers and such, and would also fit nicely into the Space Race feel of FASA. It's just a simple little box, probably about the size of the PresMat barometer or the Gravioli detector, that has only one purpose: It's a container that holds Science data. This would be beneficial for simulating Apollo J missions (the ones with the LRV), because it would allow you to hit more than two stations on a single EVA without having to return to the LM to drop off samples and crew reports; instead, you could just store them in the box on the rover and bring them all back in a single trip. (This would also be similarly valuable for a minimalist manned Eve landing, since it would allow the use of MOOSE/LESS-style external seating.) Just a suggestion, not pushing it or anything--only reason I haven't done it is that I can't afford 3D modeling software, much less the time to learn it.

For those who were clamoring for Minuteman first stages to use as SRBs on evolved Saturns, the smallest of the three stock SRBs is actually very close to it in size. Going by Encyclopedia Astronautica, the Minuteman-1 (TX-55) stage proposed as such would scale down to about 1.1m diameter, and 4.8m tall, which is quite close to the size of the RT-10 (1.25m diameter and looks to be about four times that in height, so about 5m tall). You'd need to do a configuration edit, however; using the 64% rule three-dimensionally for mass, you end up with the TX-55 scaling down to 6.05 tons full mass, 0.6 tons dry mass, and 207.4 kN thrust. The TX-55 had an Isp. of 237s surface, 262s vacuum, and a total burn time of 60 seconds. So if you hack the .cfg for the RT-10, you could get a very close TX-55 clone to use on your evolved Saturn MLVs.

And now, off to KSP, to work on that crewed Eve return. I think I should be able to get a nice minimalist two-man spacecraft to low orbit if I can land a fully-fueled Saturn V-Transtage and keep it upright... ;)

There is a thing like that in the goodspeed pack.

So the results of the part votes are in and Mercury IVA came out as the winner. But, I have been playing around with the Nova sized parts and they are really fun first stage rocket especially since its all cfg modding. I am going to make a custom sat v adapter for it, a fuel tank , and an engine plate.

Nice. I suppose we'll have to make do with something besides M-1 for the 2nd stage, though. I wonder how many RL-10s will fit on a 5m plate... :) Anyway, the next update's gonna be fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.