[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

One of the Ideas the Russians had for Buran was turning it into a fully reusable satellite launch/recovery vehicle. The Buran had its front part modded into a cargo area and the aft section had the Energia main booster engines and a large fuel tank, while keeping the wings and other flying surfaces. The liquid fuelled boosters had retractable wings and landing gear and were to glide to a nearby runway for recovery, either remote control or most likely autopilot.

Nice. Looks like it'll be a while till FASA wrap-up. :) Good to see the Nova, but what I'm really looking forward to is RL-10 and it's mounting plates. Saturn C-2 galore! :) But this monster is awesome, too.

Yesss!!!!!

I have tomorrow off, and I greatly look forward to experiments in Nova construction!

Frizzank, you should have a Donate button.

As a follow-up on my original comment on Roll controlled re-entry, I found that adding this bit of code to the cfg file enables a "Re-entry Mode" function.

ie. FASA/Gemini2/Gemini_Pod2/Gemini_Pod2.cfg

code added:

MODULE

{

name = DescentModeModule

DescentModeCoM = 0, -0.40, 0.25

}

I believe this function relies on the BobCatUtils DLL, which is found in this pack

http://www./download/4kkt1i24zr96dki/Soyuz_Pack_2.zip

Using this simple function, you change the centre of mass of the craft when you choose (you want to choose during/before re-entry) which allows you to control the Lift generated by the craft by controlling the Roll position. Due to the excellence of FAR, this simple modification allows you to control Re-entry G force, Landing location, and allows you to Jeb up re-entry in a bunch of fun and exciting ways. Adds much flavour and excitement to the process of re-entry.

I have used this for the Gemini and Apollo craft, generally asserting roll control using small RCS quads, or the Mercury Roll pod attached to the surface of the craft. Surely a more experienced or respectable Modder could achieve the same effect more elegantly.

If people are interested in further information about how to mod for this function or make it work, I am happy to help. Just gauging interest.

I have a donate button on the first page, I moved it to the top for better visibility....

Want to help me out, Donate!

Donating is not an obligation, it's a gift of appreciation for me and all the hard work that I put into this mod. So if you would like to help me out I would appreciate it greatly.

btn_donate_LG.gif

Legal - Donating does not entitle you to any goods or services from me or this mod and all funds go directly to me through paypal to be used at my discretion.

Can someone explain what I've done wrong assembling the Nova?

I took the existing premade Saturn V, and changed out the F-1s with an M-1 and then added the decoupler adapter, tank, mounting plate and the F-1s. The rocket takes off on a slight pitch and upon first stage separation, I lose all my speed, the M-1 isn't putting out enough thrust to keep me going upwards, I fall back down... It's got to be an error in construction on my end...

I think I messed up my wording.... From the ground up, it's the F-1s, Nova mounting plate, Nova tank, Nova decoupler fairing, M-1, mounting plate, fuel tank, from there, it's the premade Saturn V just without the lower Saturn V bits that were replace by the Nova construction stuff. Visually, it's like your pic from post #3061.

Is there supposed to be something with not as much fuel, or....???

Ah, ok. I kept F1s in the second stage, used four mounted to the 5x J2 mounting plate, there was a wee bit of clipping, but it worked. And I had the M1 up where the J2s would be on a normal Saturn V(on the 5x J2 plate as well)...which is the second stage on a Saturn V and the third on my design. I got through the first two stages nicely...something like 20km+ I think, might have been higher, that second stage burns a LONG time. Went to ignite the third stage...random separation of everything(no explosions, just everything flying apart. I had the CSM intact as well as the fairings below it. Decoupled everything and parachuted down. I'll see if I can replicate it and share the flight log.

Ah, ok. I kept F1s in the second stage, used four mounted to the 5x J2 mounting plate, there was a wee bit of clipping, but it worked. And I had the M1 up where the J2s would be on a normal Saturn V(on the 5x J2 plate as well)...which is the second stage on a Saturn V and the third on my design. I got through the first two stages nicely...something like 20km+ I think, might have been higher, that second stage burns a LONG time. Went to ignite the third stage...random separation of everything(no explosions, just everything flying apart. I had the CSM intact as well as the fairings below it. Decoupled everything and parachuted down. I'll see if I can replicate it and share the flight log.

That happens if an engine clips into the fuel tank of the stage below, in your case the M-1. It happened to me a few times before when tinkering with Saturn parts in various configurations. Try using 2 or 3 decouplers together instead of one. I used 2 once and it worked.

I tried the design you described and I got in trouble right on the 1st stage separation. Lost an engine... twice.

Here's how I did my "Nova". The M-1 was planned as a replacement for the 5 J-2 on the 2nd stage, so that's where I put it. Replaced 1st stage with the new 7.75m parts. Since the Nova tank has relatively little fuel, I used 3 tanks. Yes, three. Managed to get an Apollo capsule on an escape trajectory from the star system. :D

@frizzank, that Nova tank needs more fuel. It has a lot less fuel than the Saturn V 1st stage tank, but it looks like it would have a larger volume.

Edited by BioHaZarD.PT

First attempt

lzdwX4K.png

Second attempt I experienced the same ship exploding during separation.

oxNzqt7.png

Im definitely having fun tinkering with the new parts. Purely a personal idiosyncrasy I can see the the engines clipping through the adapter plate on the first stage, no matter how much I turn them they still peek through.

That happens if an engine clips into the fuel tank of the stage below, in your case the M-1. It happened to me a few times before when tinkering with Saturn parts in various configurations. Try using 2 or 3 decouplers together instead of one. I used 2 once and it worked.

I tried the design you described and I got in trouble right on the 1st stage separation. Lost an engine... twice.

I'll try that! It worked perfectly fine with the 5 J2s that it would normally have.

It happens to me on about 2/3rds of the flights. Sometimes, they don't blow up, most times they do. I need to find a better way...

Here's how I did my "Nova". The M-1 was planned as a replacement for the 5 J-2 on the 2nd stage, so that's where I put it. Replaced 1st stage with the new 7.75m parts. Since the Nova tank has relatively little fuel, I used 3 tanks. Yes, three. Managed to get an Apollo capsule on an escape trajectory from the star system. :D

@frizzank, that Nova tank needs more fuel. It has a lot less fuel than the Saturn V 1st stage tank, but it looks like it would have a larger volume.

I had ignore collision on the engines, should take that off to prevent explosions. I scaled the J2 tank but didn't adjust the fuel amount. I doubled the amount in the SV first stage.

Also made this. It has 3 mounting points on it if you want to do the twin or single engine setup, and the RL-10 engine

L5QmxAg.jpg

HQ5GiPW.jpg

Edited by frizzank

Alright so this version has worked fro me so far

wveSxr1.png

Its the f1's and then two nova fuel tanks. Then then J2 plate with 1 m-1 engine for the second stage.

7A1Tyr3.png

I got lucky and somehow got an encounter with Duna, sadly I forgot to put solar panels on the ship. Bill, Jeb, and Bob are now stranded in an orbit around the Sun with no way of return. They are happy though the ride up with the Nova parts was totally worth it.

Edit: Added some Solar Panels and I made it to Duna

Flyby of Ike

L1OoEkj.png

High over Duna

2MevcCZ.png

Getting ready for final decent

7HvYxKl.png

SM Sep

hMztZUx.png

Id like to say it ended well for our intrepid Kerbonauts Gus Kerman may or may not have opened the parachutes too late and they perished from experiencing excessive G forces.

Edited by sp1989

Yup, it was definitely clipping causing my problems. My problem with falling back down was putting the M1 in the wrong place... At least for the way I had my stack set up.

My stack is now 9 F1s, one 7.75 tank, 4 F1s on the 5x J2 mount, Saturn V first Stage tank, M1 on 5x J mount, Saturn V second Stage tank, J2, Saturn V third stage tank, Apollo CSM.

On the second stage, you'll lose a lot of speed, but you'll pick it back up after a few seconds. I haven't actually tested its range, but it will definitely go SOMEWHERE. It MIGHT be able to push the LEM to Ike... Not sure... I'm positive it'll take the CSM to Duna though.

Yup, it was definitely clipping causing my problems. My problem with falling back down was putting the M1 in the wrong place... At least for the way I had my stack set up.

My stack is now 9 F1s, one 7.75 tank, 4 F1s on the 5x J2 mount, Saturn V first Stage tank, M1 on 5x J mount, Saturn V second Stage tank, J2, Saturn V third stage tank, Apollo CSM.

On the second stage, you'll lose a lot of speed, but you'll pick it back up after a few seconds. I haven't actually tested its range, but it will definitely go SOMEWHERE. It MIGHT be able to push the LEM to Ike... Not sure... I'm positive it'll take the CSM to Duna though.

Don't all four f1s on the j2 plate intersect with each other? I don't know if I like that, atleast for me I don't like that. It's not realistic.

Don't all four f1s on the j2 plate intersect with each other? I don't know if I like that, atleast for me I don't like that. It's not realistic.

Yes, but it's the only way I've been able to get the second stage to go up instead of down. Everything above it is HEAVY(I'm overkilling a little by having the Saturn V first stage tank still in place, without it, I'd be gold.), and I've yet to find a way to get it to work otherwise.

Love that Centaur . :) BTW, how is mounting set up on it? It should be possible to mount it both inline (Atlas-Centaur) and under a fairing (Titan 3E). Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on this RL-10. :)

EDIT: Just checked out the latest beta, it seems you're doing a lot of micro probe-sized parts. How about a micro separatron? Maybe inspired by Mercury separation rocket:

TMOF_MercuryCapsule1_P1.jpg

Those tiny red nozzles are what I'm talking about. Radially attachable, ideally with a hemispherical bottom so they could be attached either pointing radially or along the hull. Could be used as "liftoff pushers" (pushing the ascent stage up on staging so it doesn't fall down too quickly) for multistage landers, soft-landing braking rockets (for hardcore landings :)) and in all other places a small solid rocket is useful.

Edited by Guest

Hey guys, for anyone who wants to know, I did the math for that the nova tanks should hold.

For the Nova tank(which btw frizzank is .25Ms too big to conform to the # x 1.25 standard some modders follow. Not complaining, it's your mod, you make it the way you want. Just saying.), this is what you change the values to. I'll place the names of the files so they are easy to spot among the millions of other files lol

File: LFT_J2Nova.cfg
LF: 27900
O:34100

File: Str_S1b_PlateNova.cfg
LF: 6975
O: 8525

The math I did was 7.75/5=1.55 then I just SVStageOneLF * 1.55 and SVStageOneMountingPlate * 1.55

Also, the Saturn V fins do great work of covering the clipping engines, and they look pretty good too.

Edited by GoldForest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.