[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Hallo!

Having some weird issue with the brilliant FASA pack: Whenever I reach 6000 meters altitude with one of the saved ships, for example FASA APollo Saturn V, the ship explodes! It is the same with all the FASA saved ships for me. I am using a bunch of mods, amongst others KerbalJointReinforcement. Disabling this mod made the rocket pass 6000 meters, but some weird issue with the camera no longer focusing on the ship and after a little while the crew dies of excessive G force, despite the G force meter not showing critical. I haven't been disabling all my mods to check because I thought I might save some time by inquiring with you fine folk if anyone know what the issue may be?

Thankful for assistance, regards

Dax

My mods list (should all be working with 64bit 0.24):

k7ZPX2T.png

New Gemini Mini SRBs they are surface attachable and also stack for small probes and what not. The Sargent 11x Decoupler is a great mini Decoupler for small probes when space is at a premium. Also does awesome things like separate stages or blast them as retro rockets..

4.96 on Kerbal Stuff

http://beta.kerbalstuff.com/mod/27/FASA

[snip]

Genius! Perfect for little AP kick motors.

My first post on this site and it has to be a bug report, *sigh*.

Whenever I try to load FASA on my KSP, the Gemini parts just take forever to load. Starting with BigG, there are like five parts each time that freeze the whole computer for about a minute and then continue on. I removed Gemini from FASA only to find that after I did that, Apollo CM parts just simply stopped the loading process altogether and it would not go past that point. It was only after I removed both Gemini and Apollo that the mod would load. It is not a mod compability issue, unless Squad GameData somehow conflicts with it. I cannot really give you any more information, as there is no crashlog of any sort.

Fallow the instructions on the first post it will get you up and running.

From time to time for what ever reason KSP just breaks. I don't know if its a setting file somewhere or what, but It happens to me too. When it does you will have to remove everything and re-install it.

"But I don't want to, and I just installed the update, or, That sounds like a lot of work"

I know re-installing is not the answer as to why it is breaking, but the problem is not with FASA, and it's the only way you can be sure everything else is where it needs to be.

All I know is it works. Every time it always fixes the problem what ever it is. Just remember to back up everything before you start.

My first post on this site and it has to be a bug report, *sigh*.

Whenever I try to load FASA on my KSP, the Gemini parts just take forever to load. Starting with BigG, there are like five parts each time that freeze the whole computer for about a minute and then continue on. I removed Gemini from FASA only to find that after I did that, Apollo CM parts just simply stopped the loading process altogether and it would not go past that point. It was only after I removed both Gemini and Apollo that the mod would load. It is not a mod compability issue, unless Squad GameData somehow conflicts with it. I cannot really give you any more information, as there is no crashlog of any sort.

If you use steam right click on ksp, go to properties, and click verify integrity of cache. Whenever I experience that 9/10 there are missing files. Idk where they go but they do and steam automatically reaquires the fir you if they are missing. If you don't use steam then a fresh install will fix it.

I did do a full removal and reinstall of FASA, but I tried to launch a Saturn 5 last night (the stock one) in honor of Apollo 11 and to my dismay it wobbled very badly, flexing visibly. It didn't do that before the 0.24 update.

The camera refused to lock onto it, so all I could see at the end of the launch attempt, before I reverted to confirm the flex, was the glow of the engines. :( I couldn't figure out how I lost camera lock.

That was on 4.96. I have now installed 4.97; we'll see how it goes when I test it this evening.

Edited by Mira

For now I would just delete the reflection dll in your gamedata folder under FASA/plugins.

I can confirm that the reflection plugin is causing severe lag when using timewarp on any ships that have it. I had to delete it to solve this issue.

Forgot to report that with 4.97, the Saturn 5 I built to launch raidernick's Skylab did not flex. I'll send up an Apollo S5 tonight, probably, to try that one out. A little bit late (we'll call it a weather delay!) but my Kerbals will set that LM down soon! Also sent up this CSM on top of a 1B built by re-doing the stock FASA 5 from the S-IVB down (and deleting the LM) -- including the toadstool extra-high launch platform.

Something really minor that would be interesting to address: the Command Modules sent up for the Skylab missions were painted partly white rather than completely foil-covered. (This photo shows where the "split" was.)

(and an edit: found out why: because Skylab tracked the Sun, the CSM couldn't be rolled for thermal control as it was on earlier missions, so different properties were required of the coating on the Sun-facing side.).

I haven't experimented yet with the reflection plugin, but I haven't tried any Gemini/Titan missions since installing 0.64. Does that issue happen in x64?

Edited by Mira

Interesting. I launched a loaded Saturn V as part of my ATM/no ATM testing last night and had minor wobble (nothing I found out of the ordinary). FASA for me, has not had any issues in x64 and I have not uninstalled it since. I launched a Mercury Atlas as a test, but I cannot confirm any reflection type lag that I know of. If it's something related more to deep space or time acceleration induced, I'd have to do a little more experimenting. As is, I've been playing without ATM and enjoying the enhanced textures.

Keep up the good work, Frizzank!

Continued kudos on this package, guys. Just fantastic. Corned beef sandwiches for everyone!

A couple of dumb questions:

(1) Is there any fairing that will completely cover a "naked" Agena (one without the control package stuck on the back)? The autoshroud (obviously) leaves a gap for the control package. I tried one of the interstages, and.... well, it didn't work well. At all. Enough said about that.

(2) What's the general opinion on the "optimal" point to drop the Atlas boosters? I've been using them until about 15k altitude, figuring that they're there to push through the atmosphere while the sustainer does most of the hard work. But I'm curious as to what others are doing.

Continued kudos on this package, guys. Just fantastic. Corned beef sandwiches for everyone!

A couple of dumb questions:

(1) Is there any fairing that will completely cover a "naked" Agena (one without the control package stuck on the back)? The autoshroud (obviously) leaves a gap for the control package. I tried one of the interstages, and.... well, it didn't work well. At all. Enough said about that.

(2) What's the general opinion on the "optimal" point to drop the Atlas boosters? I've been using them until about 15k altitude, figuring that they're there to push through the atmosphere while the sustainer does most of the hard work. But I'm curious as to what others are doing.

Under aerodynamic there are a few fairings. The smaller ones fit on the Agena perfectly. Add some short ones on the top to cover up the lip of the docking collar and then a nose cone.

The most efficient way is to drop them as soon as you can without drooping air speed. This depends on your load and stuff but general when you can drop down to 1/3 throttle and still maintain airspeed you should drop the boosters and throttle up.

On which part? Should I just remove the Tac Life Support?

Sorry for a long delay in response - somehow modular fuel tanks / real fuels solves the issue.

Yes I've meant TAC life support in all the manned parts.

I have something very weird happening when FASA is installed the ability to do science and eva reports goes missing from the pods, removing FASA it comes back I have never ever had problems with FASA before its always been perfect is anyone else experiencing this has to be a conflict with something have no idea what

Is the latest update (4.972) set up to be used in KSP 24.2 (64 bit)? AND / OR can it be used in 23.5?

Every time I try to launch 24.2 it crashes with FASA. (ONLY MOD I have installed on that version).

Thanks,

TB

I have a small request.Does someone know how to make the antenna compatible with Remotetech 2?

Thanks.

The Remotetech forum should detail how to edit the cfg files to make the compatible.

FASA 4.972 is compatible with the latest version of KSP 24.2 on both 64 and 32 bit versions.

The 64 bit version of KSP is less stable on some systems than the 32 version. This is a ksp bug and has nothing to do with FASA. Try it in 32 bit mode if your problems go away you know what it was.

If problems persist follow the instructions on the first page. Basically re-install KSP and then a fresh install of FASA.

I know that when you install FASA and then KSP no longer works it can lead you to believe that FASA is the problem. The issue is not actually with FASA, the mod works fine. It's a file in KSP getting corrupted that prevents objects from loading correctly with different degrees of errors from crashing to not loading all the parts or none at all. Most other mods have exactly this same issue and it is fixed in exactly the same way.

The current and only fix is a re-install of KSP to fix the broken file. Back up your saves and settings file and it will be like you never left.

Possible mod interaction issue. the FASA and ESA packs seem to become unstable when installed with MechJeb2. I've reinstalled several times, and finally removed mods, one at a time, leaving those I knew to be stable (sadly, ESA and FASA were on that list... I've spent a full day doing unstall/reinstalls :P). Eventually, I worked the other way. Installation of mods one at a time. Finally, after being able to duplicate the crashes, (they are pretty consistent, though WHEN they will crash is a bit less so.), it comes down to MJ and FASA/ESA not playing nicely together.

Symptoms: When adding MJ202-AR case to any craft while FASA is installed, hard CTD. Adding any FASA part to a craft while MJ parts or embedded MJ functionality is installed varies... leads to either hard CTD or *MASSIVE* VAB lag.

This was duplicated numerous times. I will get a crash log when I have time to, if you need it.

Bug in MechJeb. I can confirm that both RPM and reflection plugins work, and this is all FASA adds. ESA pack is pluginless. Since RPM integration is MJ-side, take it to MechJeb thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.