[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

One of your pictures on CURSE is of a neat looking Big G/C-MOL/Mercury/Apollo LEM/Saturn1b rocket. Any chance you will add that in as a "Stock" ship? Or any other "Stock" ships? (Apollo Direct Ascent, Apollo CSM-Saturn 1b, Big G-Titan III, Gemini Direct Ascent,...)

My Gemini Lander Leg parts seem to be not cooperating when I try to click them. Also, are you going to make the Big G part have abalator?

Its a known bug I am working on an update.

One of your pictures on CURSE is of a neat looking Big G/C-MOL/Mercury/Apollo LEM/Saturn1b rocket. Any chance you will add that in as a "Stock" ship? Or any other "Stock" ships? (Apollo Direct Ascent, Apollo CSM-Saturn 1b, Big G-Titan III, Gemini Direct Ascent,...)

Nope that was just a ridiculous build I did to show off some of the new parts. Have fun making your own though...

Thank you for the information about the landing gear. Glad it's an easily fixable problem.

Since we're discussing realism and FASA rocket launches, I thought I'd share my experiences with launching the Apollo-loaded Saturn V in the new KSP aerodynamic model.

I love the Saturn V, and spent a lot of time in 0.25 getting it to fly a realistic flight profile, so I was anxious to see how it flew after 1.0. As a quick test, I loaded up the SV from the FASA sandbox game and gave it a whirl. Using my old MechJeb flight profile, it would always tumble and die at around 13km (about the time the air got thin and the pressure got high). I assumed this was because of pushing against max Q, so I set up the engines to do what they do in real life, and had the center F-1 shut down at about 12km. This fixed the problem perfectly and it went into orbit every time. The only problem was that a launch TWR of 2 is way higher than reality, so my next step was to reduce that and see what happened...

As a dirty job, I reduced thrust on the S1 engines until the launch TWR was about 1.2 (the real Apollo 11 SV was about 1.18). I didn't adjust the fuel amounts or anything, so as I said, this was a very dirty job just to see how the aerodynamics worked. The result was that soon after clearing the tower, the rocket would lean in some random direction (usually North or SW, for some reason) and fail. I tried over and over again with different MechJeb settings, but the lean happened too soon in the flight and could never really be compensated for. Finally, frustrated, I started taking the ship apart. That's when I noticed that the SV in the FASA sandbox save has tons of added vernier thrusters and struts to compensate for problems in flight...

So I built a new one, 100% clean. Just the parts you'd expect to be on the actual vehicle. No extra struts, no extra RCS, nothing but a pure SV with Apollo payload. It flew perfectly from then on.

So, this is the MJ setup I used, which will probably be surprising to folks that think you should head straight up through the atmosphere before turning, but it's quite realistic: Gravity turn start @ 0.2km, turn end at 69km, shape 75%. Limit AoA to 5deg (still experimenting with that), corrective steering off. Have the center S1 engine shut off at 12km, and the center S2 shut off at 40km (still experimenting).

Using those settings a clean Apollo SV will make it into a 200km orbit with fuel to spare.

Next comes trying to get it into orbit without having to shut off engines and coast at any point, and without having fuel still left in the S2. I think this is a MechJeb problem, though. It likes to outrun the Apoapsis and then have to coast to catch up before circularizing.

Hope this helps anyone having problems launching a moon mission!

Why bother going all the way to 200 km orbit when 80km works perfectly fine? From Wikipedia, the Apollo 11 mission orbited Earth once at roughly 185.9 km, and the ISS maintains an orbit with an altitude of between 330 and 435 km. So 80km around Kerbin for boosting missions (going to further obits or other planetary objects/outside of Kerbin's influence), and then going above whatever height the Kerbin Terrain unloads is great for space stations so you can reduce some of your lag. I always shoot for 80km since 200km would be overdoing things.

Hello,I have some bugs to report while using the FASA mod.All as you told to install the FASA mod,but when I go to VAB&SPH,the ships LEM,Saturn V,Gemini Pod(Easy),FASA Bus couldn't be loaded just as it said "Incompatible with this version of KSP ".

Could you please give me the solution steps or the reasons?Thanks a lot.

Its a known bug I am working on an update.

Nope that was just a ridiculous build I did to show off some of the new parts. Have fun making your own though...

Yeah. I have a few ships that were considered for use but never actually flown (Like the C-MOL). If I give them to you, will you put them in the next update?

A large number of attachment nodes seem to not be working. I tried attaching an Apollo J2 engine to the J2 engine mount, and it wouldn't let me. I had this issue with a large number of fuel tanks, even when putting them in the specified order.

You'll need to figure out which mod plugin is causing the trouble since you're seeing this behaviour with more than just FASA. I just assembled a Saturn V from scratch and had no problem attaching any of the parts.

Why bother going all the way to 200 km orbit when 80km works perfectly fine? From Wikipedia, the Apollo 11 mission orbited Earth once at roughly 185.9 km, and the ISS maintains an orbit with an altitude of between 330 and 435 km. So 80km around Kerbin for boosting missions (going to further obits or other planetary objects/outside of Kerbin's influence), and then going above whatever height the Kerbin Terrain unloads is great for space stations so you can reduce some of your lag. I always shoot for 80km since 200km would be overdoing things.

Why go to 200km? Honestly, just because I can. ^_^

You're right, there's no need to go higher than 80, but since this was just a quick and dirty test I didn't adjust the fuel, so even going to 200km I have tons of S2 fuel that I have to jettison before starting the transfer burn, and since a higher orbit does reduce the Dv needed to get to the Mun, why not?

Like I said, my eventual goal is to get all of the TWR/fuel amounts right so I can reach parking orbit with no unneeded fuel, without having to re-ignite engines that didn't in reality, and without having to leave my S2 tank in a stable Kerbin orbit. I won't be going any higher than about 100km, when I do that.

Hello,I have some bugs to report while using the FASA mod.All as you told to install the FASA mod,but when I go to VAB&SPH,the ships LEM,Saturn V,Gemini Pod(Easy),FASA Bus couldn't be loaded just as it said "Incompatible with this version of KSP ".

Could you please give me the solution steps or the reasons?Thanks a lot.

I'm working on an update that should fix that.

A large number of attachment nodes seem to not be working. I tried attaching an Apollo J2 engine to the J2 engine mount, and it wouldn't let me. I had this issue with a large number of fuel tanks, even when putting them in the specified order.

this should not be the case with the 5.3 version

Any chance of a Github/Mediafire download link... KerbalStuff and Curse keep on breaking on large downloads on my side.

Curse doesn't work half the time I upload to it. Media fire is a bit better but really slow, I will upload a version there when I am confidant most of the citical bugs are worked out...

I have been doing what it says to get the mod to work but it still hasn't I have the same problem every time I uninstall ksp wait about 5 days until it installs I download this mod put it into gameadata. AND THEN IT STILL ONLY GIVE ME 3 PARTS AND THERE SHOULD BE 300 OR MORE PLZ HELP 10/10 WOULD NOT INSTALL AGAIN IF NO ONE HELPS. I AM FED UP IT DOESNT WORK HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

:DI have been doing what it says to get the mod to work but it still hasn't I have the same problem every time I uninstall ksp wait about 5 days until it installs I download this mod put it into gameadata. AND THEN IT STILL ONLY GIVE ME 3 PARTS AND THERE SHOULD BE 300 OR MORE PLZ HELP 10/10 WOULD NOT INSTALL AGAIN IF NO ONE HELPS. I AM FED UP IT DOESNT WORK HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

@Frizzank: Quick question. Can I delete the FASA_Mercury_Cap folder without any issues? I've noticed there isn't a .cfg file there, so no part in game.... I just don't know if there are other parts that need the other files in the folder.Thank you for your work on this!

Edited by Fizwalker
clarification

I have been doing what it says to get the mod to work but it still hasn't I have the same problem every time I uninstall ksp wait about 5 days until it installs I download this mod put it into gameadata. AND THEN IT STILL ONLY GIVE ME 3 PARTS AND THERE SHOULD BE 300 OR MORE PLZ HELP 10/10 WOULD NOT INSTALL AGAIN IF NO ONE HELPS. I AM FED UP IT DOESNT WORK HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

:DI have been doing what it says to get the mod to work but it still hasn't I have the same problem every time I uninstall ksp wait about 5 days until it installs I download this mod put it into gameadata. AND THEN IT STILL ONLY GIVE ME 3 PARTS AND THERE SHOULD BE 300 OR MORE PLZ HELP 10/10 WOULD NOT INSTALL AGAIN IF NO ONE HELPS. I AM FED UP IT DOESNT WORK HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Either A: Your download got corrupted, or B: Your computer needs to be put out to pasture. What are your computer specs? CPU, Ram, GPU, OS, etc.

Welcome to the forums. :) While I understand that having a mod that isn't working properly can be frustrating, please remain calm and polite. The people who mod the game are doing so in their free time and don't have to share their work with us.

As for your issue, I think a little more information is needed to help you. First, what version of the game are you running? What version of the mod are you trying to install? Are you playing in sandbox or career? (If career, you will not see all of the parts at the beginning. Like the rest of the game, the parts will be unlocked as you progress in gathering and spending science points.) Please upload your game's log file. It's locate [KSP Root Folder]\KSP_Data\output_log.txt where KSP Root Folder is the game folder on your hard drive. If you have problems uploading the file, you can open it in wordpad and copy and paste the contents into a forum post.

And again, welcome to KSP and the forums! :)

@Frizzank: Quick question. Can I delete the FASA_Mercury_Cap folder without any issues? I've noticed there isn't a .cfg file there, so no part in game.... I just don't know if there are other parts that need the other files in the folder.Thank you for your work on this!

yes. I was leaving it in there for anyone still wanting to use it. Its goign to be gone in the latest version anyways.

Sorry for your trouble. Your GameData folder should look like this.

soDuToZ.jpg

You need to open the zip file and copy its contents directly to your main KSP folder. It will ask you if you want to overwrite your GameData folder. SAY YES, your not deleting anything just adding it to the GameData folder.

If it says GameData/GameData its not in the right place..

Edited by frizzank

Now on Kerbal stuff. I will update the curse and Media fire mirrors as well when they finish uploading.

* Big G- docking now has a mini science lab

* Big G- removed rocket engines. It was causing problems in the latest update. A vessel cant be a lab, a ship, an engine, and fuel tanks.

* Added ablator to Big G crew pod.

* Added Big G Decoupler

* Removed decoupler from the Big G pod, it was weird...

* Revised Gemini RCS thrusters to be symmetrical.

* Fixed Gemini landing legs to work now.

* Tweaked MOL science

* Increased Thor engine thrust to 500

* Lowered Mini Solar Panels max temp to 1000

* Tweaked the RL10 thrust ISP cost and weight. now you pay for that efficiency.

* Lowered fuel amount and weight in Centaur plate

* Agena engine is lighter and less powerful

* F1 and M1 Weigh less now.

* Redstone engine now has a gimble of 10 degrees, this is adjustable by right clicking.

* Removed Liquid fuel generator from engine clamps, they did nothing.

* More Engine ISP and cost tweaks. Generally FASA parts cost more but are slightly better than stock.

Can anyone help me? I wanna build the Apollo rocket, and can't figure out how to put it together, I got up to the Lander.

Got up to the LEM? That might be your problem. I always build down from the Apollo Command Module. Haven't built one in a while (don't shoot me frizzank, my Apollo in 1.02 is heading to Duna), but I do the following sequence:

From the top down:

1) Apollo CM

2) Heatshield

3) CSM Decoupler

4) Service Module

5) Service Module Engine (SME)

At this point I add the parachute, floats, parachute cover, docking probe and antenna array. Check COM and then add RCS thrusters. (Of course now we have a science bay, so you might want to add in any goodies there first and then check the COM for RCS placement.)

6) Attach the Fairing Plate. Has a node that fits inside the SME.

7) Add a decoupler to the fairing base (low powered one) (Firing up)

8) Either build the LEM going from the bottom to the top or drag one in from Subassemblies (my preferred method) by attaching it to the stack decoupler.

Since you said you get to up to the LEM, I'll take it you understand how the Saturn V goes together.

Last but not least I add the CM launch shroud and LES once everything is said and done.

Hope this helped.

(If not, you can always use one of the craft files frizzank includes with FASA. I just copy them from his FASA Save into my stock VAB.)

Edited by Voidryder
Clarity and typo

Thanks for the continual updates to my very favorite mod, but what the heck IS going on with the launch towers, anyway? The following you into space thing, I mean. Any idea what causes it?

The big launch tower, Mercury clamps, Apollo clamps, and of course the vanilla launch tower are fine, but the Gemini clamps and the umbilical tower follow you into space every time. I tried making the umbilical .cfg an exact copy (other than model names) of a working tower, and that didn't fix the problem! I hate mysteries, especially when they appear out of nowhere at 13km and rip my Saturn V in half. :P

Just a quick question, have you found/corrected the inability to complete contracts like first launch?

Or just as possible, have you determined if it is caused by interaction with another mod and not directly by FASA? (if so, do you know what it is interacting with?)

Just asking as the problem seemed to only effect (affect?) a few people on career mode and no mention on the last few pages. I haven't tried it since you first did the quick 'n dirty update to get it working with 1.0. I uninstalled it to get past those milestones, and have been following this thread since.

Good luck slaying the flying launch pad dragon. I hated the old stock launch tower, but yours are just so damn elegant!

Edited by pslytely psycho

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.