[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Having an issue with Voyager 2 launch, no matter the throttle setting, or if RCS or SAS is on, this happens...

220200_screenshots_2015-05-10_00004_zpsqsbm0zr4.jpg

I was able to get into space with some added struts from boosters to upper egg thing, and Canards attached to boosters, but as you can tell the joint at which the egg thing containing Voyager 2 probe is in always will cause the vehicle to flip over.

Having an issue with Voyager 2 launch, no matter the throttle setting, or if RCS or SAS is on, this happens...

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/mrwolf83/220200_screenshots_2015-05-10_00004_zpsqsbm0zr4.jpg

I was able to get into space with some added struts from boosters to upper egg thing, and Canards attached to boosters, but as you can tell the joint at which the egg thing containing Voyager 2 probe is in always will cause the vehicle to flip over.

I've had the problem. Make sure you are connected to the right attachment node. If you are then you are gonna need struts (most struts!!) however the thing that solved my problems was kerbal joint reinforcement. Once you play with it you wil have trouble not playing with it. Download kjr and that issue goes away.

Thanks for the continual updates to my very favorite mod, but what the heck IS going on with the launch towers, anyway? The following you into space thing, I mean. Any idea what causes it?

The big launch tower, Mercury clamps, Apollo clamps, and of course the vanilla launch tower are fine, but the Gemini clamps and the umbilical tower follow you into space every time. I tried making the umbilical .cfg an exact copy (other than model names) of a working tower, and that didn't fix the problem! I hate mysteries, especially when they appear out of nowhere at 13km and rip my Saturn V in half. :P

It started in 1.0 it is not constant and no matter what I change in the cfg it still happens. It doesn't happen consistently and sometimes happens with stock clamps as well.

Just a quick question, have you found/corrected the inability to complete contracts like first launch?

Or just as possible, have you determined if it is caused by interaction with another mod and not directly by FASA? (if so, do you know what it is interacting with?)

Its only the first launch that is effected. It doesn't recognize custom pods for that for some reason. They fixed it recognizing custom parts, like antenna and solar panels for the rest of it though. So for your first launch I just put a stock pod up with a booster and then everything else works fine.

Your still going TOO FAST, your readout says your past 300m/s and your not even 4500km up yet.

SLOW DOWN.....

It started in 1.0 it is not constant and no matter what I change in the cfg it still happens. It doesn't happen consistently and sometimes happens with stock clamps as well.

Its only the first launch that is effected. It doesn't recognize custom pods for that for some reason. They fixed it recognizing custom parts, like antenna and solar panels for the rest of it though. So for your first launch I just put a stock pod up with a booster and then everything else works fine.

Your still going TOO FAST, your readout says your past 300m/s and your not even 4500km up yet.

SLOW DOWN.....

I'm launching with the pre-built Voyager 2 with the throttle set to basically zero and mainly using boosters.

I did not fine tune all the craft files with the new update. Before you could just go full throttle and you would not have any problems but now atmospheric forces can be really violent on a craft with a lot of parts or taller than 15m.

In the VAB right click the SRB's and put them at 50% thrust and 75% fuel and it should help. Your max thrust will depend on the weight of the craft your trying to put in orbit.

Also, I highly recommend Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55657-0-23-5-Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-v2-2-4-2-14

Edited by frizzank

I did not fine tune all the craft files with the new update. Before you could just go full throttle and you would not have any problems but now atmospheric forces can be really violent on a craft with a lot of parts or taller than 15m.

In the VAB right click the SRB's and put them at 50% thrust and 75% fuel and it should help. Your max thrust will depend on the weight of the craft your trying to put in orbit.

Also, I highly recommend Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...nt-v2-2-4-2-14

Thanks will do, one thing though the link don't work you attached.

Just a quick question, have you found/corrected the inability to complete contracts like first launch?

Or just as possible, have you determined if it is caused by interaction with another mod and not directly by FASA? (if so, do you know what it is interacting with?)

Just asking as the problem seemed to only effect (affect?) a few people on career mode and no mention on the last few pages. I haven't tried it since you first did the quick 'n dirty update to get it working with 1.0. I uninstalled it to get past those milestones, and have been following this thread since.

Good luck slaying the flying launch pad dragon. I hated the old stock launch tower, but yours are just so damn elegant!

Unrelated to FASA, which I haven't installed (yet); had this problem and could track it down to the SAS Reset mod. Removing that one allowed me to finish the First Launch contract.

Of course, if more people have that issue and they're not using SAS Reset, it may be totally unrelated to a particular mod...

I guess I'm lucky. I'm not having the problems launching that others seem to have. I've been able to launch everything from the titan rockets to the Saturn V without any problems. Is my game so broken that it's working?

i wouldn't worry. Do you have the most recent version of KSP? If you don't then most likely you wont be experiencing the issues. If you have the most recent version, everyones launch profile is different. Everyone has different styles. Maybe your launch profile isn't as aggressive as others.

Now on Kerbal stuff. I will update the curse and Media fire mirrors as well when they finish uploading.

* Big G- docking now has a mini science lab

* Big G- removed rocket engines. It was causing problems in the latest update. A vessel cant be a lab, a ship, an engine, and fuel tanks.

* Added ablator to Big G crew pod.

* Added Big G Decoupler

* Removed decoupler from the Big G pod, it was weird...

* Revised Gemini RCS thrusters to be symmetrical.

* Fixed Gemini landing legs to work now.

* Tweaked MOL science

* Increased Thor engine thrust to 500

* Lowered Mini Solar Panels max temp to 1000

* Tweaked the RL10 thrust ISP cost and weight. now you pay for that efficiency.

* Lowered fuel amount and weight in Centaur plate

* Agena engine is lighter and less powerful

* F1 and M1 Weigh less now.

* Redstone engine now has a gimble of 10 degrees, this is adjustable by right clicking.

* Removed Liquid fuel generator from engine clamps, they did nothing.

* More Engine ISP and cost tweaks. Generally FASA parts cost more but are slightly better than stock.

Still need to try a couple test flights but from the few tests I've (finally) been able to perform, I like the tweeks you made to the Apollo engines. I did have to reduce the fuel in my Centaur stage as you suggested. So far I've dropped it to 75% of what the Gemini Medium tank will hold. The Centaur still has over 5200dV (with 1.7t payload) and the Apollo-Centaur has a 1.06SLT so it can lift off. :)

You could also add some Castor SRB's, It wouldn't be cheating since thats what they did for larger payloads in real life.

I didn't think they started using Castor SRBs on the Atlas until Atlas 2 was introduced? Besides, what I'm testing with is just a 1700kg payload (1.75t actually) on an Atlas-Centaur. The early Atlas-Centaur was supposed to be able to push 1700kg to GTO. But now that I can launch at least that much, adding the SRBs is doable.

In the next update I will up the Thor engine thrust at sea level by increasing overall thrust 525 and sea level ISP to 265. Should make it more useful for single engine and large loads.

I don't want to push it far beyond that because then you would just use thor all the time and I want there to be an incentive to upgrade and unlock the later stage 1 engines.....

In the next update I will up the Thor engine thrust at sea level by increasing overall thrust 525 and sea level ISP to 265. Should make it more useful for single engine and large loads.

I don't want to push it far beyond that because then you would just use thor all the time and I want there to be an incentive to upgrade and unlock the later stage 1 engines.....

Is the "Delta MB3 Engine" supposed to be the early Thor-Delta engine (LR-79), the later Delta II (RS-27) engine or the more powerful Delta IV (RS-68) engine?

I'm asking because the "FASA Pioneer Delta" craft that comes with FASA uses it and that definitely appears to be a recreation of the Thrust Augmented Thor-Delta (or Delta D) without the Altair third stage. That craft has way more dV available to it then it really should have. 7264-10040dV and SLT=2.09. If I put the fairing and satellite on the "FASA Gemini Agena Atlas" craft, it only have 5851-7074dV and 1.35SLT. That gives it the Delta 24%-42% more dV potential, and 55% greater SLT, than the supposedly more powerful Atlas-Agena.

Historically the Delta D could only put around 100kg into GTO compared to the 700kg that the Atlas-Agena could. Yet with the current thrust, I can put a 8.5t satellite into orbit with the "FASA Pioneer Delta" (1.85SLT at launch & 4460dV). The "FASA Gemini Atlas Agena" can barely handle a 3.3t payload with 1.27SLT and 4425dV. I'd say, if he "Delta MB3 Engine" is supposed to be the engine on the Delta D, it needs to have less thrust. Not more. Closer to what the "Mercury Atlas Rocket Engine" currently has.

That's not to say having an engine for the Delta II and/or Delta IV is a bad idea.

Nope, it's the MB3 that launched the Pioneer6 probe on a Delta E rocket. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_rocket#Delta_E Mine is no where near historically accurate, but it is fun!

Details of the MB3. http://www.astronautix.com/engines/mb33.htm

I start off with the real life stats for everything, but Kerbin is not the real Earth so i tweak everything the best I can so it "Feels" right when your playing the game.

If your looking for a real world experience I recommend this mod "Realism Overhaul" or "RO: for short. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99966 They have permission to use modified FASA parts with their real life scale and with real life stats....

Nope, it's the MB3 that launched the Pioneer6 probe on a Delta E rocket. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_rocket#Delta_E Mine is no where near historically accurate, but it is fun!

Details of the MB3. http://www.astronautix.com/engines/mb33.htm

I start off with the real life stats for everything, but Kerbin is not the real Earth so i tweak everything the best I can so it "Feels" right when your playing the game.

If your looking for a real world experience I recommend this mod "Realism Overhaul" or "RO: for short. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99966 They have permission to use modified FASA parts with their real life scale and with real life stats....

I'll eventually go back to Realism Overhaul once it (and RP-0) has been updated for 1.0.2 but that's a ways off as I understand it. In the mean time I'm just having fun playing Kerbal with FASA. The only reason I brought up anything about the Delta engine was your post about wanting to increase it's thrust while not wanting us to make use the the Thor for basically every flight. In my game I tend to use the Titan and Atlas when I'm putting up a satellite for my own purposes, and use the Thor/Delta when I'm fulfilling some satellite contracts. But I only do that because I like the Titan and Atlas. With the current engine, the Thor/Delta is powerful enough for pretty much every launch. I could probably even fit a capsule and lander, and do manned mun launches with it. So if your intent is to keep it fun but also make it so the other rockets have relevance, increasing the thrust on the Delta MB3 is probably not the best option. Just one opinion, of course. :)

Hi FASA peeps, I got a fun one for ya....

Earlier today Jeb and Bill were out on pad 29 doing some prototype testing of the newly designed LEM 1.0.2. We're still several months away from orbital testing or any hope of a Mun-shot, but we're making progress and hope to complete ground based mission training and testing very soon.

But after successful descent stage engine smoke-tests Bill hopped out to inspect wear and tear, looking for cracks, etc. (which all looked fine BTW). But when he tried to re-enter the LEM his body was suddenly cloned inside the LEM preventing him from entering! At first Bill was excited that he could get twice as much work done, but after realizing he'd have to share his snacks with alter-Bill he was less than enthused! That and having to give his seat to his clone while he remained on the Mun kind of bummed him out too... Jeb was a little spooked, but he's a survivor.

Now first I need everyone to keep this 'phenomenon' under wraps because if Congress gets word it could be scandalous and jeopardize our funding!

Any of you kerbonauts seen this kind of very strange behaviour? Anyone able to get out of their LEM and then get back in without being cloned in v1.0.2?

Jebs down in the simulator removing mods that may not play nice with FASA. Hopefully this turns something up. We've only tried from KSC launch pad on our Linux x64 Ubuntu rig, but Jeb assures me this probably has nothing to do with the issue. Nothing outstanding in the KSP.log, but I'll keep looking and if I find the answer I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Thanks all and happy FASA'ing!!! :)

Ok, this was easier than I thought...

Removing KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) allowed me to enter, but that wasn't the root cause. After Bill got back in he looked at me with a sad and very pale face (which is odd for a Kerbal). Next he pulled out a Corned Beef sandwich from his inventory and I said "DAMMIT MAN! Don't you know this is damned illegal?!?!?!"

But it wasn't the sandwich either. Storing an EVA-X backpack in his inventory is what did it. Storing it in the VAB is technically 'legal' but when you exit and try to re-enter a vehicle the game pukes. However if you add the backpack outside then the expected behaviour works where the Kerbal wears the backpack and when he enters the vehicle then backpack drops off onto the ground. Minor logic bug in how KIS handles objects in the VAB versus outdoors. The work-around is simply don't try to enter a vehicle without wearing the backpack and leave any paraphernalia like Corned Beef sandwiches at home!!! :)

Either way, Mun-shot testing is back on schedule!!!

I noticed something with my launch clamps. I launched a missile and the launch claps just teleports to me and flies. I don't know what went wrong. I think it was my install.

http://i.imgur.com/ExMZaJX.png

Nope! It's actually a squad problem. It happens with the stock clamps too. However I will say it does happen much more often with the stock clamps. Still it happens with the stock clamps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.