[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Before I start with it's not me its you.

Crashes on start up typically are because of running out of ram.

How many mods do you have?

How much ram is it using? - on windows go to your performance monitor and see - Ctrl+....+Esc

FASA works wonderfully with the stock game, but if you use Realism Overhaul, Real Chutes or Real Solar system, they modify FASA files extensively. You should post in those threads for problems.

If it's still not working, start fresh, re-install KSP then install FASA as your ONLY mod. This works 100% of the time unless your computer has extremely limited ram.

Even I have to do this from time to time as KSP somehow gets overloaded and needs to be re-installed.

This is my mod list.

I've been having a LOT of trouble with self-installed mods so I got CKAN - well guess what? I installed FASA and the game started fine! Will let you know how it goes!

Does anyone have any idea how I might go about making the FASA Explorer probe core compatible with both the RemoteTech and SETIctt mods? SETI overrides the antenna that's built into the probe core, vastly reducing its range in RemoteTech and having it deployed by default. Is there any way to maybe have two antennae on the probe with different settings, or perhaps set up some sort of exception for this particular part? I do like that SETI gives all probe cores a 160km omnidirectional for RemoteTech, but I also like that the Explorer probe effectively has a built in RemoteTech standard antenna.

Please help, this is driving me crazy!

I changed node placement for FASA, RO has not updated its module manager configs yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there plans for HG-3 engines?

From Wikipedia

The HG-3 was a liquid-fuel cryogenic rocket engine which was designed for use on the upper stages of Saturn rockets in the post-Apollo era.[1] Designed in the United States by Rocketdyne, the HG-3 would have burned cryogenic liquid hydrogen & liquid oxygen propellants, with each engine producing 1,400.7 kN (315,000 lbf) of thrust during flight.[1] The engine was designed to produce a specific impulse (Isp) of 451 seconds in a vacuum, or 280 seconds at sea level.[1] Developed from Rocketdyne's J-2 engine used on the S-II and S-IVB stages, the engine was intended to replace the J-2 on the upgraded S-II-2 and S-IVB-2 stages intended for use on the Saturn MLV, Saturn IB-B and Saturn V/4-260 rockets, with a sea-level optimised version, the HG-3-SL, intended for use on the Saturn INT-17.[1][2] The engine was cancelled, however, during the post-Apollo drawdown when development of the more advanced Saturn rockets ceased, and never flew, although the engine was later used as the basis for the design of the RS-25 Space Shuttle Main Engine.[3]

There were many, many plans for Saturn V after the lunar program this one is a bit too similar to the J2 and the shuttle main engines for me to make a dedicated model for.

I changed node placement for FASA, RO has not updated its module manager configs yet.

- - - Updated - - -

From Wikipedia

The HG-3 was a liquid-fuel cryogenic rocket engine which was designed for use on the upper stages of Saturn rockets in the post-Apollo era.[1] Designed in the United States by Rocketdyne, the HG-3 would have burned cryogenic liquid hydrogen & liquid oxygen propellants, with each engine producing 1,400.7 kN (315,000 lbf) of thrust during flight.[1] The engine was designed to produce a specific impulse (Isp) of 451 seconds in a vacuum, or 280 seconds at sea level.[1] Developed from Rocketdyne's J-2 engine used on the S-II and S-IVB stages, the engine was intended to replace the J-2 on the upgraded S-II-2 and S-IVB-2 stages intended for use on the Saturn MLV, Saturn IB-B and Saturn V/4-260 rockets, with a sea-level optimised version, the HG-3-SL, intended for use on the Saturn INT-17.[1][2] The engine was cancelled, however, during the post-Apollo drawdown when development of the more advanced Saturn rockets ceased, and never flew, although the engine was later used as the basis for the design of the RS-25 Space Shuttle Main Engine.[3]

There were many, many plans for Saturn V after the lunar program this one is a bit too similar to the J2 and the shuttle main engines for me to make a dedicated model for.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up! Out of curiosity, any planned additions after the Unity 5 integration?

- - - Updated - - -

From Wikipedia

Well, here's an image:

satupeng.gif

HG-3 looks quite a bit different from the J-2...

Even just a config would be nice. F1A config would be good too now that I think of it...

Any idea what would cause Destruction Effects to think the launch tower is being destroyed when I unclamp it prior to takeoff? It goes away as soon as DE is removed. I see it's reported over there in that thread but I don't recall seeing any report here

http://i.imgur.com/f5KBGo4m.png

Possibly the resources inside it? Or the fact it can carry crew?

I've been trying to use the latest version of FASA, and am hit with a problem where the parts bigger than 5 meters always have structural failures the moment I go to launch, no matter how many sturts or stability towers I use. I even tried making a stack with a single fuel tank and a decoupler, and got the same failures....anyone have any ideas what's going wrong?

I downloaded the FASA mod, and I only got somewhere around 15-ish parts, rather than the 300+ parts advertised in the description. I've tried reinstalling the mod, and reinstalling the game, but the parts don't show up. Any thoughts? I would appreciate the assistance.

You have undoubtedly installed the Mod incorrectly. Do not install just install the FASA 5.36 folder you downloaded. You need to click on the folder and install the folder that just says FASA and the folder that says JSI. Hope this helps.

You have undoubtedly installed the Mod incorrectly. Do not install just install the FASA 5.36 folder you downloaded. You need to click on the folder and install the folder that just says FASA and the folder that says JSI. Hope this helps.

I downloaded the file and unzipped it, when went to a launch screen it told me to separate the FASA and JSI folders, which I did. So now my game data file looks like this:

>Chatterer

>FASA-5.36

>JSI

>KerbalAlarmClock_3.4.0.0

>KerbalEngineer-1.0.18.0

>Squad

Am I missing something?

I downloaded the file and unzipped it, when went to a launch screen it told me to separate the FASA and JSI folders, which I did. So now my game data file looks like this:

>Chatterer

>FASA-5.36

>JSI

>KerbalAlarmClock_3.4.0.0

>KerbalEngineer-1.0.18.0

>Squad

Am I missing something?

Yes open up the FASA-5.36 folder you will see GameData folder and save folder and a Install_Instructions.txt file.

EDIT- Open the GameData folder you see in there a FASA folder and a JSI folder them are the one's you copy to your KSP/GameData folder if you have a up to date JSI installed you can skip that one.

Edited by Mecripp2

I haven't seen this mentioned, so maybe it's just me, but... The Gemini pod at launch is usually very, very dark (bordering on pitch black); it is very obvious when it's connected to the rest of a Big G configuration. It looks normal in the VAB. I don't have any mods that tweak textures. However, I poked around on the forum, and I found mention of a problem where pods that have built-in ablators have an issue due to the burn effect that's part of ModuleAblator.

I added the following to the GeminiPod2 ModuleAblator:

charAlpha = 1
charMin = 1
charMax = 1

and the pod looks normal at launch. I haven't seen that problem with the BigG part, so I don't know if it's particular to a command pod / root part having an ablator, or what. I also haven't launched the Gemini Rescue configuration, so I don't know if the problem replicates with it as well.

I haven't seen this mentioned, so maybe it's just me, but... The Gemini pod at launch is usually very, very dark (bordering on pitch black); it is very obvious when it's connected to the rest of a Big G configuration. It looks normal in the VAB. I don't have any mods that tweak textures. However, I poked around on the forum, and I found mention of a problem where pods that have built-in ablators have an issue due to the burn effect that's part of ModuleAblator.

I added the following to the GeminiPod2 ModuleAblator:

charAlpha = 1
charMin = 1
charMax = 1

and the pod looks normal at launch. I haven't seen that problem with the BigG part, so I don't know if it's particular to a command pod / root part having an ablator, or what. I also haven't launched the Gemini Rescue configuration, so I don't know if the problem replicates with it as well.

Thanks for the find, can you give a link to what the code does?

Thanks for the find, can you give a link to what the code does?

The only thing I came up with was this post. RoverDude mentioned tweaking charMin and charMax, but setting those to 0 dialed the pod to light-absorbing stealth black. I dug around in the KSP assemblies and found the charAlpha field as well. Unfortunately, these fields appear to be as well documented as the rest of the KSP assemblies, and I haven't had much luck searching the forum for "ModuleAblator" to see who's discovered what about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.