[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Hi all.

Unfortunately I'm having a major issue with FASA. It's a very specific problem and, having attempted my own troubleshooting, I am entirely sure that it is not memory related. I hope someone will be able to help as it's a mod I really want to be able to make use of. I'll try to go into as much detail as I can about the issues I've been having.

First things first, I'm running KSP on a mid-2011 13-inch non-Retina Macbook Pro, currently running OSX 10.9 (Mavericks). I'm using the version of KSP downloaded directly from Squad's own website.

I first started having issues when I first tried installing FASA. At that time I believed it was indeed a memory issue as this is a 32-bit build of KSP and not a 64-bit build. I therefore followed the instructions in the following video to convert the Mac OSX version of KSP to 64 bit:

This has worked, and I've been able to run KSP with plenty of texture-heavy parts mods installed with no issues - SpaceY, Infernal Robotics, B9 Aerospace, KW Rocketry, Lithobrake, etc etc. Just not FASA.

The specific nature of the problem is a bit weird. I am able to take the pre-existing FASA save file and load any of the pre-saved vehicles just fine within the VAB - all the way up to the Nova, there's no issue loading these stacks. However, when I click 'launch', the game immediately crashes while still on the loading screen, and requires a Force Quit. There's only a couple of exceptions - the Mercury Redstone works fine as does the Explorer stack. Nothing besides that seems to work though.

I've used Activity Monitor to keep an eye on my RAM usage as this happens and, when FASA is the only mod I have loaded into the game, memory usage peaks at about 2.6GB. Even when FASA is the only mod loaded, though, these issues still occur. All this information put together has convinced me this is not a memory issue.

I have looked at the changelog for FASA on kerbalstuff.com and I have tried three separate builds of FASA - 5.36, 5.35 and 5.30. The same issues occur in precisely the same manner in all of these builds.

I have tried a complete reinstall of KSP from scratch and re-added FASA to that new install, both in the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, and these issues persist in all circumstances.

As a side-note, before I made the alterations to KSP such that it was running as a 64-bit app, I was still getting exactly the same issues. The only difference was that, in the 32-bit build, I was regularly getting crashes in the VAB as well as upon hitting the launch button.

Can anyone help me out with this? It'd be much appreciated as this mod looks amazing from everything I've seen of it and I'm itching to be able to use it - sadly, I just can't get it to work at all no matter what I try. I would hugely appreciate any insight any of you can provide.

Can't do much without a log, other than saying that (a) the 64bit hack is a hack, and is therefore unsupported, and (B) recent versions of OSX in particular have lots of problems with KSP even at low memory usage levels. I would suggest trying a not hacked clean install of KSP with just part of FASA installed (say, remove the Gemini and Apollo folders),

Can't do much without a log, other than saying that (a) the 64bit hack is a hack, and is therefore unsupported, and (B) recent versions of OSX in particular have lots of problems with KSP even at low memory usage levels. I would suggest trying a not hacked clean install of KSP with just part of FASA installed (say, remove the Gemini and Apollo folders),

Thanks for the response. I'm aware the 64-bit hack is not supported, but to be frank, it works, it helps with memory issues, and it's quite clearly not the problem here, so I'm going to be persisting with it.

As it happens, I believe I've managed to find the source of the issues I've been having. Through testing each FASA part in turn I was able to work out it's only a very few parts causing issues - the Gemini and Apollo command modules are two such parts. It then turned out that deleting the 'plugins' folder from within the FASA folder in the GameData directory solved the issue. I can only presume there was some issue with the reflections.

Regardless, thanks for trying to help, much appreciated :)

Edited by xv323

Thanks for the response. I'm aware the 64-bit hack is not supported, but to be frank, it works, it helps with memory issues, and it's quite clearly not the problem here, so I'm going to be persisting with it.

As it happens, I believe I've managed to find the source of the issues I've been having. Through testing each FASA part in turn I was able to work out it's only a very few parts causing issues - the Gemini and Apollo command modules are two such parts. It then turned out that deleting the 'plugins' folder from within the FASA folder in the GameData directory solved the issue. I can only presume there was some issue with the reflections.

Regardless, thanks for trying to help, much appreciated :)

I will post this on the front page in case anyone else has a similar problem on mac.

I just wanted to let you know that while using the 64-bit hack (using the unity 64 exe and mono dll) the only things that don't work right are the launch towers (They break the ship, eg using two on a Titan GLV will cause the Gemini to fall off the top of the rocket) and the parachutes. Since eventually KSP will have to get a 64-bit client I just wanted to report that to you for the gig-bag.

In HARD mode, you cannot complete the mission "Launch our first vessel" using the Mercury Redstone A-6 engine. The mission completes OK with this engine in Normal and Medium mode.

I'm currently looking into if this is the reason I cannot complete tourist sub-orbital and orbital missions, and "Return from orbit of the Mun" in hard mode too; I've sent an unmanned, and a manned mission to orbit the Mun, and returned without the mission completing- both launched with Gemini Titan LR-87 engines.

I've come back to FASA for the first time in ages and went to launch the Mercury Atlas... and the thing flips over during vertical assent. I'm sure I flew this fine when I used to use it before... I just have no idea why. Now I am using FAR but I've never had rockets flip like this in absolute AGES.

Is there something special I'm supposed to do when using FAR? When I get to 110m/s the thing just wants to go back to Kerbin...

I've come back to FASA for the first time in ages and went to launch the Mercury Atlas... and the thing flips over during vertical assent. I'm sure I flew this fine when I used to use it before... I just have no idea why. Now I am using FAR but I've never had rockets flip like this in absolute AGES.

Is there something special I'm supposed to do when using FAR? When I get to 110m/s the thing just wants to go back to Kerbin...

Unfortunately the Mercury-Atlas is just a plain pain to control under FAR, which is apparently realistic (Despite the fact that the other realistic rockets in the mod don't have near as much problems controlling. Just sayin).

The only way I was able to get it to fly was to pretend I did. No amount of extra SAS modules or fins were able to help control that thing once you need to start turning. Its possible to get it to not flip out when you your turn but the turn ends up being nowhere near as efficient as it should be.

Atlas does not have a realistic mass distribution or fuel flow which is needed for FAR, a realistic atmospheric simulation. A work around is to transfer fuel from the bottom tank to the top one after lift off. This will keep the center of mass towards the front of the rocket and more stable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.