[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Atlas does not have a realistic mass distribution or fuel flow which is needed for FAR, a realistic atmospheric simulation. A work around is to transfer fuel from the bottom tank to the top one after lift off. This will keep the center of mass towards the front of the rocket and more stable.

Wonder if this will,solve myproton issues in anothermod..

This is a terrific mode and really brings the historical missions pack to life. Its not a resource hog like some other mods and all the parts are easily identified and well described. Great work!

I have noticed a small error that is easily corrected. In the mod the Atlas rocket has the middle sustainer engine at approximately twice the thrust of the two booster engines. The magnitude of the ratio is correct but the wrong way around. According to several sources on the web the booster engines are each about twice as powerful as the central sustainer engine. To correct this and keep the overall thrust levels the same (which seem about right) I tried the following change to the config files:

Main sustainer engine thrust 140 kN

Booster engine thrust 300 kN each.

The total thrust is 740 kN or about half what it is in reality (as it was before). These numbers have worked for me when testing with satellites and the Mercury capsule. A first stage sep at about 2 minutes give a TWR of about 1.

I have noticed a small error that is easily corrected. In the mod the Atlas rocket has the middle sustainer engine at approximately twice the thrust of the two booster engines. ]

I too have noticed this and have my own config files for this and the Titan rocket (all production variants of the LR-87 and LR-91.) Something I have not been able to repair via CFGs is the fact that all three engines in the MA3 engine complex have a single plane Gimbal with a swing path of about 10 degrees.

I admittedly have also not mastered the art of "correct" fuels (the LR-87/LR-91 using UMDH for example,) but I have found the rockets to behave similar to Frizzank's performance envelope with a more real world flight profile (IE still Kerbal scale and performance but act similar to real world.) I am porting my engine stats that vary from Frizzank's original CFGs. Please note, NONE of the below settings work without copying Frizzank's CFGs. This makes a more complicated engine selection (15 new engine CFGs with as many more choices in engine selection screen.) Lastly I should mention, I had to "Fudge" a lot of factors due to lack of information in various marks of the engines below.

Atlas II Ditch boosters at ~20-30k meters depending on load and peek altitude sought.

LR-89 Booster Engine: Max Thrust 334, ISP Vac:290 SL:256

LR-105 Sustainer Engine: Max thrust 275, ISP VAC 375 SL 256

Titan I

LR-87-AJ-3 (Titan I First stage) : Max Thrust: 909, ISP Vac: 297, SL: 249

LR-91-AJ-3 (1.875m Kerbal Scale Titan I 2nd Stage): Re-scale Factor=0.75, Max Thrust: 275 ISP VAC: 310 SL:265

Titan II/III/IV and Titan Gemini

LR-87-AJ-5 (Titan II ICBM/Titan 2 SLV): Max Thrust: 945 ISP VAC 300, SL:259

LR-87-AJ-7 (Titan II Gemini): Max Thrust: 919 ISP VAC: 315, SL:284

LR-87-AJ-9 (Titan III/3/3x SLV): Max Thrust: 970 ISP VAC: 298, SL:247

LR-87-AJ-11 (Titan 3x/IV/4x SLV): Max Thrust 1001 ISP VAC: 340, SL 260

LR-87-AJ-11A (Titan IV/4x SLV): Max Thrust 1020 ISP VAC:364, SL: 292

LR-91-AJ-5 (2.5m Titan II ICBM Titan 2x SLV): Max Thrust:300 ISP VAC: 288, SL:260

LR-91-AJ-7 (Titan Gemini II): Max Thrust: 275, ISP Vac:325, SL:266

LR-91-AJ-9 (Titan III/3/3x): Max Thrust: 312, ISP Vac:375, SL:310

LR-91-AJ-11 (Titan IV/4/4x): Max Thrust: 332, ISP Vac:378, SL:303

LR-91-AJ-11A (Titan IV late): Max Thrust: 348, ISP Vac:375, SL:310

E-1 An engine originally developed for the Titan Program as a competitor to the LR-87, however the development took too long. Later the plans for the E-1 were enlarged and updated and became the Apollo F-1 engine. So I just F-1 model Frizzank made to fit the 2.5m Frame of the Titan 1st stage and applied my conversion factor (RL to Kerbal.) It is slightly OP (less mass than a similar thrust LR-87) but it is close to proposed specs. I also re-scaled the S-II engine plate to 3.75m for use on the Saturn I 1st stage... (Saturn IC (4 E-1s on the first stage instead of 8 H-1s.)

Rescale factor: 0.66

Max Thrust: 997

ISP VAC:299

ISP SL: 265

Edited by Pappystein

FASA is not a realism pack. It's not even a "kerbalized-real-stats" pack. If you want realistic configs, check out Realism Overhaul. ;)

I think Frizzank has done an amazing job with FASA and I look forward to any changes you, and your fellow members/recruits, may bring to FASA Nathan. However I think I need to clear things up here. In my earlier post of engine stats I said:

"kerbalized-real-stats"

The stats I posted above for the MA-3 engine complex(LR-89/LR-105/LR-101) on the Atlas II are REALISTIC, in only 3 ways; Boosters provide large percentage of acceleration, the Sustainer provides a minimal acceleration as you almost coast to orbit, and the engines are all properly designated in line with the AN standards on Rockets for the Real Earth United States. Heck, as I have stated I still haven't figured out how to get a Gimbal to work on the engines that only works in one plane.

Every other engine stat I posted was created to be inline with the rest of FASA, and just offer people more options. being relatively realistic in relationship to the other engines from FASA. I hope my work can help someone else garner more enjoyment out of FASA. I never wanted to imply the stats I generated were REALISTIC to Earth.

What I meant by that statement is Not Realistic to Earth. No I meant in-line with most other parts in FASA/Core game. In mods with parts directly based/copied/artistically borrowed from Real Earth world Space programs, I will in the future denote Realism as meaning in line with stock KSP and Realism as being real EARTH stats.

• 3 weeks later...

FASA had some concave mesh collision for some parts. This broke things in 1.0.5 as all collision is now convex. I posted an update to kerbal stuff (Its Uploading now) so FASA would still work in the latest build.

* Turned up reflection on Apollo some

* Fixed pre-chard Gemini pod

* Made compatible with 1.0.5 - fixed convex docking collision issues

* Lowered mass of Atlas Booster some

I use real plume works great and you can tailor it to suit individual needs and its easy to do dont think its been updated yet

tried it and it screwed the heck out of my Real Fuels install. Must need Hotrockets for FASA engines NOM NOM :D

FASA had some concave mesh collision for some parts. This broke things in 1.0.5 as all collision is now convex. I posted an update to kerbal stuff (Its Uploading now) so FASA would still work in the latest build.

* Turned up reflection on Apollo some

* Fixed pre-chard Gemini pod

* Made compatible with 1.0.5 - fixed convex docking collision issues

* Lowered mass of Atlas Booster some

Hi frizzank. I am still having trouble loading some of the parts. It seems to get stuck on loading Apollo/ApolloCSM/Apollo_SM_Engine/FASAApollo_SM_engine

Hi frizzank. I am still having trouble loading some of the parts. It seems to get stuck on loading Apollo/ApolloCSM/Apollo_SM_Engine/FASAApollo_SM_engine

Sounds like you are running out of memory. What other mods are you trying to load?

Are you running any other mods? If you are, try loading the game with just FASA (and Squad ofc). I have a very vague memory of a mod conflict between FASA and some other mod, being caused by a faulty patch in an other mod.

Could also be due to running out of memory as G'th said.

Anyone else having issues with the decouplers from this mod in 1.0.5? (I'm using the newest release; 3.40) As soon as they are deployed they seem to be getting hung up with the ultimate outcome usually being catastrophic explosion or loss of spacecraft control.

Edited by user_337

Anyone else having issues with the decouplers from this mod in 1.0.5? (I'm using the newest release; 3.40) As soon as they are deployed they seem to be getting hung up with the ultimate outcome usually being catastrophic explosion or loss of spacecraft control.

KSP 1.0.5 included a change where engine heat damage is much more pronounced - to the point that decouplers (and sometimes small fuel tanks below them) explode if they're in contact with the engine at staging. The "silent update" 1.0.5.1028 supposedly reduced that effect, but I personally haven't noticed a difference. Although, re-reading your comment, that may be different than what you're talking about.

^ I've been having that issue as well with the Saturn V interstage, and the solution for now is actually just to add Ullage motors and set up staging properly.

Typically, staging goes like this (From bottom up):"

Previous Stage Engine Cutoff

V

Decouple (With force set 0%) + Ullage motor ignition.

V

Wait for clean separation of stages, then Next Stage Engine Ignition

As for the mod itself Friz, from what I've seen, it appears that the issue is one of three things. I can't tell which because it happens too fast for me to really tell. The decouplers either had their directions changed (IE, pushing the interstage into the next stage rather than away), had the directions changed in another way (IE, pushing off to the left or right rather than down), or the decoupler force on the backend has been tweaked somewhere (or got messed up in the transition from .04 to .05) and its too strong now.

I don't think its an issue with the exploding decouplers that the silent update fixed, because with the interstages you typically can't start your engine until you have separation due to the engine stowage mechanic. And given how the interstages work, typically they shouldn't even be getting hit by heat until after they've separated away anyway.

This was already changed in 1.0.5, not in the silent update. To fix not-working payload fairings, interstages or whatever parts which used non-convex colliders, you remove the mesh collider component from the model, add an empty gameobject and add a cube or another basic collider to it. With those basic colliders, you cover your object. I've used 20 smaller colliders, cutted out from my original mesh, and arranged them correctly to cover my fairing. It is a bit annoying, but it works, and in 1.1 we would have to change this anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.