[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

On 1/2/2017 at 2:01 AM, ArkaelDren said:

Going to post this in the newly started thread and here as well.  If this Mod has been taken up by the Bluedog guys, then that's great.  But please do not follow up on your statement, " I'd be lying if I didn't want to see BDB replace FASA in some way".  As much as I understand your desire, it wouldn't be appreciated by myself.  I know my opinion is like the rest, and really only valuable to me :( but I love Frizzank and Denny's models, a shout to Nathen for picking it up. I think Raider had his hand in it, but don't exactly recall.  Trying to replace it is not maintaining it.  Now I think you were just dropping in your opinion, but if not, please reconsider parting this one out, only to sell off to the highest bidder, its a classic and should remain so. Like Minepagan said, they are both of the same origin, but completely different in what they offer.  Either way, I end my posts the same, thx a ton for your hard work.  Not just lip service, I think about what you guys do every time I grab a mod, and shrug thinking about how much you guys must dread the word, "Patch" or "Update".

Don't take it as disrespect towards Frizzank, Denny, or anyone else involved in FASA. That is not my intention at all. But the fact is Frizzank has basically said he wants to see it replaced, and the people who took the burden of maintaining it are either fed up ( @raidernick ) or don't have the time ( @NathanKell ). I have put a lot of work, more or less intentionally, in trying to go above and beyond the high bar set by FASA. So personally, I feel that it's time to move on from a 'classic' mod that hasn't been updated in over a year.

Now, a lot of people still want to play with FASA for a variety of totally awesome reasons (and the following is a general statement, and not to @ArkaelDren in particular) and that's fine. But if people want that to happen, there needs to be a new generation of volunteers to step up and actually put the work into fixing, updating, and maintaining the mod. Because at the moment, that is not happening. Little snippets and workarounds are one thing (a quick glance upwards I see @Virtualgenius helping out) but what is really needed is some form of 'FASA Continued', or at least formal handover of the original mod to someone that has the time and... I was about to say capability, but let's instead say desire. All it takes is someone to take the time to look into the issues, and learn how to fix them.

Well, I am already on it.

@raidernick So if you get the needed fixes, you could (any maybe would) bring it back online to a release?

I can and will not continue the development, cause I am only able to do CFG and MM stuff, but I think I can implement the fixes for 1.22 compatibility.
In the last hour I've implemented the landing legs and the chute stuff like mentioned here. (works, even with the G key)
At the moment I am checking if commenting out the refections from a hand full of the parts makes sense and patching the ablator.
After that I will add the transmitter module to the command pods.
And at the end I will read this thread from the time of KSP 1.1 release to see if I can find any more "todo's".

@ all:
Are there any more things you guys know?

Edited by Jebs_SY

2 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

Well, I am already on it.

@raidernick So if you get the needed fixes, you could (any maybe would) bring it back online to a release?

I can and will not continue the development, cause I am only able to do CFG and MM stuff, but I think I can implement the fixes for 1.22 compatibility.
In the last hour I've implemented the landing legs and the chute stuff like mentioned here. (works, even with the G key)
At the moment I am checking if commenting out the refections from a hand full of the parts makes sense and patching the ablator.
After that I will add the transmitter module to the command pods.
And at the end I will read this thread from the time of KSP 1.1 release to see if I can find any more "todo's".

@ all:
Are there any more things you guys know?

like I said, I would make the release if someone wanted to fix the cfg files. You can keep the reflections and switch to the texture replacer plugin for them instead of the other broken one. It's what I did for my parts and it works fine.

So, what I have done so far:

-Legs: changed all landing legs to ModuleAnimateGeneric (fixes legs, work with G key, but without dampening)
-Chutes: commented out DRAG_CUBE{} and ModuleDragModifier from the chutes to fix huge drag in combination with realchute
-Chutes: Set deploy height from 250 to 1000
-Ablator: Tweaked the ablator to use stock values. Looks good so far.
-Command Pods & Probes: Gave them basic antennas (like stock)
-Fixed the node heights on the Apollo decoupler
-Fixed a typo that prevented the gemini lander from loading
-Fixed RPM IVA color tags
-Changed reflections to TR

What I still could do:
-Tweak all antennas regarding range & type (f.e. make the Apollo dish a relay)
-Tweak the part categories to be up 2 date
-I am sure I would find some more, what I can do

I've flown 2 successful mun missions with the prebuild Saturn 5 Apollo.

However: The LEM has no working EVA cause the "hatch is obstruced" problem, like already mentioned here in the thread.
The workaround shall be: Going IVA, open the hatch (which requires RPM) and then EVA.
I have no idea if it would make sense to think about an 1.22 release of FASA with such a crippled LEM. Without RPM one cannot EVA, with RPM there is still this workaround needed.

What do you guys here think about this? Is there a chance someone could fix the LEM model regarding the EVA issue?

EDIT: Well, I just realized, that RPM itself is relative small. So this dependency would be no problem, I think. And one could write in the LEM description, that the door needs to be opened from IVA to EVA. Would be solution, imho.

@raidernick What do you think about this LEM EVA issue?

Edited by Jebs_SY

28 minutes ago, OneEyedBob said:

I was unaware the LEM required RPM. I always just clicked on the black knob just above the hatch. Does that owe it's functionality to RPM?

Yes, it's needed for the button to work. But I've just realized, that RPM is only 1-2MB in size, so could be acceptable as dependency. And we could write in the LEM description that door opening in IVA is needed to EVA. Would be a acceptable solution imho.

2 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Yes, it's needed for the button to work. But I've just realized, that RPM is only 1-2MB in size, so could be acceptable as dependency. And we could write in the LEM description that door opening in IVA is needed to EVA. Would be a acceptable solution imho.

RPM was also use for the window on landing

20 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

I agree. Many mods with custom IVAs have RPM as a dependency, so there is precedent. If it's documented in the right place folks will also know about it and hopefully won't generate more posts asking the same question :wink:

I know about enough to play with MM configs. I'm using RSS + SMURFF and changed the tanks and engines so that I can recreate the lunar missions historically. That is, get to orbit with the 3rd stage and have enough left for TLI etc, but they're pretty rough and I'm pretty much a nub. I doubt it would passs muster for accuracy :D

So, I've spent a good amount of hours on this and wanted to report the status and changelog. I think I am mostly done with that what I can do from the perspective of skill and motivation.
The process took longer than I have expected at the beginning, cause the problems come when one goes into detail and one see's that much more analysis / changes are needed.

However, I think it is in a state, where one could think about releasing it for 1.2.2. At least I don't see any show stopper issues here anymore. But I am still not sure if we shouldn't forget FASA and go on with BDB. Cause it seems FASA will not be continued, so BDB is the target in the end, anyway. But I personally would like to keep FASA at least playable as it is.

I have no intention to do the github / release / license things, cause I have no experience with that. I would be happy if I can send raidernick the files and that's it. But I can still implement needed fixes. However someone / some guys really should test this before a release.

OK, here are my notes:

What I have done so far:
-Legs: changed all landing legs to ModuleAnimateGeneric (fixes legs, work with G key, but without dampening)
-Chutes: commented out DRAG_CUBE{} and ModuleDragModifier from the chutes to fix huge drag in combination with realchute
-Ablator: Tweaked the ablator to use stock values.
-Command Pods & Probes: Gave them basic antennas with 500k
-Made the Apollo LEM and CSM antenna relay capable with 5M
-Changed reflections to TR (may be to shiny atm and some parts are reflective and some not, but that's the was it was) by a MM cfg (new dependency: ModuleManager, TextureReplacer)
-The round "Apollo Sub Sat" & "Pioneer Probe Core" Solar Panels switched to directional to prevent a exception (+Note into part description)
-Added note into part description of LEM ascent module, that IVA & RPM is needed for EVA (new dependency: RasterPropMonitor)
-Changed "Apollo 3.75 4x Fairing Wall" from ModuleDecouple to ModuleAnimatedDecoupler for a working aerodynamic protection of the payload (new dependency: AnimatedDecouplers)
-Fixed many small reference issues that caused small errors/warnings
-Renamed FASAGeminiLFTCentar to FASAGeminiLFTCentaur and FASAGeminiLFTCentarCSM to FASAGeminiLFTCentaurCSM
-Removed small gemini landing gear (not working and not really needed, use stock gear)
-Changed many categories to also use the new category names

What should be done by someone before a release (if we (in this thread) / raidernick really intent to release this):
-A litte bit of testing regarding correct drag / gimbalig / flyability
 Some sample rockets are not easy to fly. Doable, but one must know, what one does. I am not sure if that's the way it's meant or if there are problems with drag/gimbals. I have a feeling this could be drag or gimbal issues.

What could be done (but I don't think, that I will start doing this... However, I can offer to implement the changes to the files if I get them.):
-Think about which parts should get which KerbNet Access (atm they have none)
-Check/tweak/balance science tree positions
-Check/tweak/balance the prices
-Add tags to the parts (for the search function in addition to the part name)
-Rebuild all sample vehicles from the actual parts (Cause some modules have changed. They work, but throwing warnings/errors in the log)
-Remote Tech MM CFG

New mod depencencies:
-Raster Prop Monitor (for RPM IVA in general and the door handle needed for EVA the Apollo LEM)
-Module Manager (for reflections, could be left out)
-Texture Replacer (for reflections, could be left out)
-Animated Decouplers (for the aerodynamic protection effect of the Saturn V LEM Adapter fairings only)

Mod suggestions:
-Janitor's Closet (To temporary fade out all but FASA parts in the VAB)
-Quick Search (For advanced search capabilities in VAB/SPH/RND)

@raidernick

Do you think it's worth to take a look at? Then I would send it to you. If not, thats no problem, also. :)  o/

Edited by Jebs_SY

3 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

So, I've spent a good amount of hours on this and wanted to report the status and changelog. I think I am mostly done with that what I can do from the perspective of skill and motivation.
The process took longer than I have expected at the beginning, cause the problems come when one goes into detail and one see's that much more analysis / changes are needed.

However, I think it is in a state, where one could think about releasing it for 1.2.2. At least I don't see any show stopper issues here anymore. But I am still not sure if we shouldn't forget FASA and go on with BDB. Cause it seems FASA will not be continued, so BDB is the target in the end, anyway. But I personally would like to keep FASA at least playable as it is.

I have no intention to do the github / release / license things, cause I have no experience with that. I would be happy if I can send raidernick the files and that's it. But I can still implement needed fixes. However someone / some guys really should test this before a release.

OK, here are my notes:

What I have done so far:
-Legs: changed all landing legs to ModuleAnimateGeneric (fixes legs, work with G key, but without dampening)
-Chutes: commented out DRAG_CUBE{} and ModuleDragModifier from the chutes to fix huge drag in combination with realchute
-Changed reflections to TR (may be to shiny atm and some parts are reflective and some not, but that's the was it was) by a MM cfg (new dependency: ModuleManager, TextureReplacer)
-The round "Apollo Sub Sat" & "Pioneer Probe Core" Solar Panels switched to directional to prevent a exception (+Note into part description)
-Added note into part description of LEM ascent module, that IVA & RPM is needed for EVA (new dependency: RasterPropMonitor)
-Changed "Apollo 3.75 4x Fairing Wall" from ModuleDecouple to ModuleAnimatedDecoupler for a working aerodynamic protection of the payload (new dependency: AnimatedDecouplers)
-Renamed FASAGeminiLFTCentar to FASAGeminiLFTCentaur and FASAGeminiLFTCentarCSM to FASAGeminiLFTCentaurCSM
-Removed small gemini landing gear (not working and not really needed, use stock gear)

What should be done by someone before a release (if we (in this thread) / raidernick really intent to release this):
-A litte bit of testing regarding correct drag / gimbalig / flyability
 Some sample rockets are not easy to fly. Doable, but one must know, what one does. I am not sure if that's the way it's meant or if there are problems with drag/gimbals. I have a feeling this could be drag or gimbal issues.

What could be done (but I don't think, that I will start doing this... However, I can offer to implement the changes to the files if I get them.):
-Rebuild all sample vehicles from the actual parts (Cause some modules have changed. They work, but throwing warnings/errors in the log)
-Remote Tech MM CFG

New mod depencencies:
-Raster Prop Monitor (for RPM IVA in general and the door handle needed for EVA the Apollo LEM)
-Animated Decouplers (for the aerodynamic protection effect of the Saturn V LEM Adapter fairings only)

Mod suggestions:
-Janitor's Closet (To temporary fade out all but FASA parts in the VAB)
-Quick Search (For advanced search capabilities in VAB/SPH/RND)

@raidernick

Do you think it's worth to take a look at? Then I would send it to you. If not, thats no problem, also. :)  o/

I'd get someone else to test it but if the changes are acceptable and work you can send me it and i'll deal with the release.

So, I've put the patches into a zip file for testing. If I need to patch and update something I will update THIS post. (So if possible don't fullquote it to avoid confusion and unnecessary scrolling. :))
Feedback in this thread please.

I would like to say, that I think that this is more for old FASA fans, cause keep in mind that at the moment the FASA mod is not under active development anymore.
With these words I want to give a notice to the Bluedog Design Bureau Mod, which also has Saturn, Apollo & Co., is under active enhancement and these guys doing a great job with this mod.
And also check Raidernicks Historical Rockets, which also covers US Rockets, Probes, Skylab & Co, which is also amazing.
Also thx to frizzank and denny for making this nice FASA mod in the first place.

However, if you still want to see FASA fly again, then the download links and the readme/install instructions are below.
If there are problem / suggestions, that I can fix/implement, I can do that. But be aware that I only can work on the CFGs, not the models.

EVA from the Apollo LEM is only possible when the hatch is opened by using the black IVA button. For this RasterPropMonitor mod is needed!

One more note:
Stock joints and the new SAS make long vehicles wobble very nicely. :/
To avoid that one has some different possibilities:
1) Disable SAS and fly the first part as real gravity turn without it
2) Make the top the root part and use "Autostrut to root" on the lower parts/engines and some tank (like seen in the video below)
3) Disable some SAS modules and / or lower the gimbal of the engines.

Links: ==================
FASA6
FASA for KSP 1.2.2+ compatibility patch Version 0.0.2
Animated Decouplers

Readme below: ==================

This is a test version of a set of patches to make FASA work with KSP 1.2.2+.

FASA for KSP 1.2.2+ compatibility patch Version 0.0.2

Installation instructions:
-Install the latest FASA_v6.0-Prerelease.zip from https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO/releases
-Delete this folder: KSP\GameData\FASA\Gemini2\SmallGearBay 
-Extract the content of this ZIP-file fo your KSP directory overwriting existing files  (not into Gamedata, it will add a FASA Sandbox with some prebuild rockets)
-Install Animated Decouplers 1.3.3+ ( https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers/releases ) or via CKAN.

If you don't need reflections or EVA the LEM module, then you're done. However, for full installation, install the following mods (for example with CKAN):
-Module Manager (used for the reflections patch and the Filter Extensions FASA category)
-Texure Replacer (used for reflections)

Suggested mods are:
-Janitor's Closet (to temporary fade out all SQUAD parts in the VAB while building FASA stuff)
-Editor Extensions (+default config, to get a own FASA category)
-Quick Search (for advanced search capabilities in VAB/SPH/RND)

Below the changelog from FASA 6.0 to 0.0.1
-Changed reflections to TR (may be to shiny atm and some parts are reflective and some not, but that's the way it was) by a MM cfg (new dependency: ModuleManager, TextureReplacer)
-Renamed FASAGeminiLFTCentar to FASAGeminiLFTCentaur and FASAGeminiLFTCentarCSM to FASAGeminiLFTCentaurCSM  (this will delete vehicles with this parts from old FASA save games)

What should be done before a release if a release is intended:
-A litte bit of testing regarding correct drag / gimbalig / heat / flyability

-Remote Tech MM CFG

New mod depencencies:

v0.0.2:
-Patched COM and COP to make Mercury capsule and Gemini capsule stable for reentry
-Reverted renaming of FASAGeminiLFTCentar to FASAGeminiLFTCentaur and FASAGeminiLFTCentarCSM to FASAGeminiLFTCentaurCSM made in 0.0.1 to get back save game compatibility with old FASA installs.

===========================================================

I wanted to make a short Apollo launch video which ended up becoming a full fast mission with a "hot" reentry. If you are curious, how it looks in 1.2 ... :

Edited by Jebs_SY

On 1/6/2017 at 10:23 PM, Jebs_SY said:

I see a lot of great fixes in your changelog, and I'll see if I can find the time to test things.

But please(!) don't change the names of parts unnecessarily, even to fix a typo. As you said, that will break any craft using those parts (a big problem best avoided with any mod update) and it will also require the renaming of all RO configs, the rebuilding of all the craft files RO has constructed for FASA, etc.

If fixing those typos was a universally positive thing, trust me, it would have been done looong ago. :)

Also, any chance that you could submit your changes to the Github for FASA? https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO

One of us could probably do that for you if you are uncomfortable/unfamiliar with Github. Part of the reason for the originator of a fix to submit the PR themselves is so that they get full credit for their work. Think of it this way, if I copy your changes and submit them to Github, I'm submitting a copy of your work under my Git credentials, making it appear on many levels as if it were my work.

Anyway, thanks so much @Jebs_SY for identifying and fixing so many problems with FASA. I have been providing a lot of support and fixes for FASA things on the RO side and ensuring they end up correct for a few years now. It is very nice to see other people interested in keeping FASA configs functioning so long after new FASA development has stopped. :)

On 11/01/2017 at 1:04 PM, Jebs_SY said:

So, I've put the patches into a zip file for testing. If I need to patch and update something I will update THIS post. (So if possible don't fullquote it to avoid confusion. :))
Feedback in this thread please.

I would like to say, that I think that this is more for old FASA fans, cause keep in mind that at the moment the FASA mod is not under active development anymore.
With these words I want to give a notice to the Bluedog Design Bureau Mod, which also has Saturn, Apollo & Co., is under active enhancement and these guys doing a great job with this mod.
And also check Raidernicks Historical Rockets, which also covers US Rockets, Probes, Skylab & Co, which is also amazing.
Also thx to frizzank for making this nice FASA mod in the first place.

However, if you still want to see FASA fly again, then the download links and the readme/install instructions are below.
If there are problem / suggestions, that I can fix/implement, I can do that. But be aware that I only can work on the CFGs, not the models.

EVA from the Apollo LEM is only possible when the hatch is opened by using the black IVA button. For this RasterPropMonitor mod is needed!

One more note:
Stock joints and the new SAS make long vehicles wobble very nicely. :/
To avoid that one has some different possibilities:
1) Disable SAS and fly the first part as real gravity turn without it
2) Make the top the root part and use "Autostrut to root" on the lower parts/engines and some tank (like seen in the video below)
3) Disable some SAS modules and / or lower the gimbal of the engines.

Links: ==================
FASA6
FASA for KSP 1.2.2+ compatibility patch Version 0.0.1
Animated Decouplers

Your fixes are really good!!!! thank you very much!!! 

As much as I could test, the Saturn V, LEM and CM are working ok... atlas, redstone and titan rockets too... the only problems I can see its on the Mercury and Gemini spacecrafts, seem like they are unballance on its weights on reentry. As the reentry ups the G force, they bents to the side and overheats... the apollo capsule its good.

Edited by h4ck3d

8 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

But please(!) don't change the names of parts unnecessarily, even to fix a typo.

Also, any chance that you could submit your changes to the Github for FASA? https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO .

Well, I think one could also simply search&replace the save game to fix this, however, I reverted the change. I am 50/50 which solution is better, so cause you asked, I've reverted it.
Sure I/we can put it on github, but I would suggest to wait a litte more, if more fixes come in in the near future. I am still not sure if it's worth the distribution. If there's no time pressure from your side.

8 hours ago, h4ck3d said:

As much as I could test, the Saturn V, LEM and CM are working ok... atlas, redstone and titan rockets too... the only problems I can see its on the Mercury and Gemini spacecrafts, seem like they are unballance on its weights on reentry. As the reentry ups the G force, they bents to the side and overheats... the apollo capsule its good.

Thx for the feedback and testing. :) I've patched COM and COP, which looks OK for me now. Version 0.0.2 is online in my "release post".
Could you do me a litte favour and remove the full quote from your post? Would be a little less scrolling. :)

EDIT: Also remember, that one can use SAS+RCS Retro on reentry. This helps, too, cause the capsules have no reaction wheels itself.

Edited by Jebs_SY

3 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Well, I think one could also simply search&replace the save game to fix this, however, I reverted the change. I am 50/50 which solution is better, so cause you asked, I've reverted it.
Sure I/we can put it on github, but I would suggest to wait a litte more, if more fixes come in in the near future. I am still not sure if it's worth the distribution. If there's no time pressure from your side.

Thx for the feedback and testing. :) I've patched COM and COP, which looks OK for me now. Version 0.0.2 is online in my "release post".
Could you do me a litte favour and remove the full quote from your post? Would be a little less scrolling. :)

Thank you!!! Testing now :cool:

12 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

EDIT: Also remember, that one can use SAS+RCS Retro on reentry. This helps, too, cause the capsules have no reaction wheels itself.

They are workig great now! I always reenter with SAS + RCS on... only turning them off sometimes when the g forces and speed decreases.

20 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Thanks! I get the same 50/50ish feeling about the issue. If one is less work and both are roughly equal, I always lean for the one that is less work :)

There is always time pressure to release FASA, but it can definitely wait. Ideally, I'd hope that your changes (current and possibly future ones) would make it to github by about a week from now, because it would be nice to have a FASA for 1.2 (even if another update to it comes shortly after) around when RO gets its release, which could be around that time. All the pre-reqs for RO are either released or have candidate testing releases, so we're not far off now. :)

@Jebs_SY and @stratochief66 I created a new testing branch and pr to master for these changes, credited to jebs_sy. You can review the changes here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO/pull/8

I would like to point out to everyone we are NOT taking support requests of ANY KIND for the currently released versions on FASA. If you wish to submit a bug report you MUST use the current beta release on the git coupled with the test files Jebs_SY has created, making sure to use the most up to date ones. We know the base release of FASA is broken so any reports about that by itself will be ignored.

Edited by raidernick

@raidernick @stratochief66

It may be a good possibility for me to get a start with the github stuff, however I don't know if I find the time. Cause of that I wanted to say to you both, commit it to the repros as you like/need it and do whatever you need.
I am still not sure if it's worth a release, but I assume you guys know what you do. :) If there comes more that needs to be fixed, which I can do, I will do it and update the "release" post. o/ :)

1 minute ago, raidernick said:

Is there another thread for FASA I am not aware of? I was planning to start a new thread once this was released and ask if this one could be locked with a link to the new thread once it was ready.

No, there is not. I was referencing to this post some posts above here in this thread.

@Jebs_SY

I tested out your changes, I ran into some problems that you might have some insight into.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO/issues/9

In particular, issues B, C, and D. I'll try to apply my own brain power to figuring them out when I have a chance, but I thought it was worth mentioning where you can see in case you can help.

@stratochief66

Thx for taking the time and testing it. :)
I tried to reproduce (A), in my local (non RSS) installation. I've put together a ES, ES3, ES3DC, ES11, ES11DC and ported it into orbit, it decouples fine for me.

Regarding B,C and D, did you had took a look on the pre-build Saturn V? I think this works as intended. At least it works the way I know it.

The description for the LEM attachment plate is: "Attach this to the bottom of the CSM or LEM, then attach the Apollo fairing walls.  It has a decoupler at the end to release the CSM or any other attached structure without releasing the LEM housed inside."

The LEM  attachment plate has a stageable decoupler that decouples the CSM from the 3rd stage. This is the same action as right click and select decouple. This is to decouple the CSM from the 3rd stage.
So put this stage together with the 4x fairing decouplers and when staging it, the CSM is free, the fairings float away and the CSM can turn and dock to the LEM.
To decouple the LEM from the LEM attachment plate then, the prebuild Saturn 5 just uses a stock TR-2V stack decoupler. However, I think it's fine to use the Apollo LM Stage Separator there.
This works as designed, afaik. The LEM attachment plate has 4 decouplers for the fairings and one for releasing the CSM on top. To decouple the LEM from the base in the end, a decoupler must be added.

I never thought about, why it is set up this way, but that's the way I know it since ever. Maybe it was to avoid confusion with 6 decouplers on one part. Or there is/was a limitation.

Edited by Jebs_SY

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.