[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

On 4/5/2017 at 8:06 AM, redmonddkgamer said:

The drag cubes on the pods are still screwed up. Either that or the chutes aren't providing enough drag. Whatever the problem is, I can't make a splashdown at 100m/s.

2 hours ago, redmonddkgamer said:

I think it's a problem with the drag cube on the chutes. I doubled both the fully and semi deployed drags for all the parachutes.

Have you tried deleting your PartDatabase.cfg in your KSP folder? That will regenerate the drag cubes for all parts next time you start the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting note: those things hanging off the bottom of the LEM foot pads were actually made of bamboo! (They look like metal in the mod).

I had a chat with the fellow who DESIGNED the LEM landing legs last year; he's my daughter's neighbor. The Apollo 11 LEM legs had contact sensors on the end of the sticks that were meant to break away - just in case the lunar surface was only covered in a few inches of dust, rather than many feet. The Surveyor landings pretty much proved that the surface was solid, but there was one vocal fellow in the program that stirred the sh*t, and the first LEM had them installed - just in case. None of the other LEMs had them.

18034225_10210717619649909_5905342166555

22 hours ago, rottielover said:

Could someone point me in the correct direction?   I installed RT via ckan, and FASA, but none of the FASA antenna's work with Remote Tech.  Is there a MM patch someplace for this?

The RT mod has its two own MM patches for FASA, RemoteTech_FASA_Antennas.cfg and RemoteTech_FASA_Probes.cfg, which should work on your computer. But they are last updated in 2015 and I see the FASA mod is not updated since KSP 1.0, besides the community patches supplied. You may want to post a question to the FASA thread to ask about any recent change in community FASA patches prevent the RT's FASA patches from working.

So I am here, asking about Remote Tech.  I also opened an Issue on the Github page hoping someone would see it there also.

Hey everyone, I am a huge fan of this mod. But I am encountering a very maddening occurrence. I only have 10 parts that actually show in-game. I have a clean, fresh version of kerbal 1.2.2 (I have had this problem in every version I have used). I have no idea why it is happening and would really appreciate some love and help in this as a fellow space enthusiast.  Thank you very much.

17 hours ago, Sir.Synesthesian said:

Hey everyone, I am a huge fan of this mod. But I am encountering a very maddening occurrence. I only have 10 parts that actually show in-game. I have a clean, fresh version of kerbal 1.2.2 (I have had this problem in every version I have used). I have no idea why it is happening and would really appreciate some love and help in this as a fellow space enthusiast.  Thank you very much.

I believe Raidernick is maintaining FASA now. 

On 4/25/2017 at 10:08 PM, Sir.Synesthesian said:

As I've posted many many many times already in this thread, you need to get the updated version of the mod which is now available here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO/releases

Despite the repo name it does support stock ksp 100% not just realism overhaul. This link is even posted in the OP on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, I've been out of the loop for a while and trying to pick up where I was.

I have installed:
a new KSP 1.2.2.
RSS v12.0.0 and its requirements with CKAN
Real fuels v12.1.0 and stockalike RF configs v3.2.3 with CKAN
Realism Overhaul v11.4.1 (getting there edition for 1.2.2) manual install
FASA v7.1 with CKAN

It all looks like it works but when I select for example the Mercury Redstone I only get about 0.5 TWR.  

I realise it's all in development and apologies if it's a known and wip, but If I'm plain missing the obvious a push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Many thanks and double thanks for all the mod makers for the great work!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 6:46 PM, Brainpop14 said:

I'm having a weird problem with the Apollo LEM. When I try to send my crew on EVA it says that all the hatches are obstructed and I can't bring my crew out.

Do you have JSI installed?

1 hour ago, redmonddkgamer said:

Tweakscale pls?

You can make a patch to add TweakScale to the parts you want, it is quite easy

@PART['Part name here']
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = stack //or other TweakScale type like free or surface or something
		defaultScale = 2.5 //or any default size you want
	}
}

On 2017-6-2 at 5:46 PM, Brainpop14 said:

I'm having a weird problem with the Apollo LEM. When I try to send my crew on EVA it says that all the hatches are obstructed and I can't bring my crew out.

Assuming you have JSI installed, go into IVA and click the black dial next to the grey knob on the left side of the dashboard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2017 at 11:33 PM, Brainpop14 said:

Does anyone know if this works in 1.3 yet?

it's just parts, you can always test it yourself in 3 seconds but yes, it works

Also so it doesn't get lost again the newest version of FASA is available here still: https://github.com/KSP-RO/FASA-RO/releases/download/v7.1/FASA_v7.1.zip

Edited by raidernick

Hi all. Ive been away from KSP awhile thanks to a nasty fight with cancer that, like Jeb on a hot re-entry, I won!!!!

My favorite mod of all time is FASA, I used to spend days not sleeping playing missions.  I cant get the latest version to load,

and the only things I have installed are default, MechJeb, FASA.  Also I noticed the latest version of FASA doesnt have the ship

config files, so you can launch Apollo and the lander or aGemini and just go to it!  Did I miss the config giles somewhere on the front page?

Windows 10 Creators update, x5680cpu, 12gig ram, 3X256 ssd in Raid 0, GTX 1080 MSI, Everything water cooled, 

Running KSP 64 Bit edition.  Have tried using Launcher EXE and KSP64 EXE

Thank you all so much!

Hello, 

This question might have been asked before (sorry for my ignorance), but I can't seem to land the apollo CM. It touche down at around 30m/s, and the CM only has an impact tolerance of 12m/s

Thanks in advance

Hi. 

I started to use Realism Overhaul recently and I am using the FASA Saturn V Lunar. The real Apollo missions relied on fuel cells op provide power for the duration pf the trip. The RO compliant fuel cell needs liquid fuel and oxidizer, both not present on the Apollo command module by default. I am using the side compartments of the command module, with sliding doors to place the lf ox tanks and a fuel cell. Is this the way it is supposed to be done or is there something in the FASA mod that I am missing :) (it requires an awful lot of lf ox) for the entire voyage to the Moon and back)...

On 6/26/2017 at 3:15 AM, mabdi36 said:

Hello, 

This question might have been asked before (sorry for my ignorance), but I can't seem to land the apollo CM. It touche down at around 30m/s, and the CM only has an impact tolerance of 12m/s

Thanks in advance

Hi.

Use MechJeb landing descent for guidance (but since it won't give you the suicide burn estimate before ligthing up the engine you may have to either light try it twice or light it first, well before the landing, say 15 minutes, to get the estimate. Don't forget the LM enigne has only 3 starts though! If you don't want to do the math, perhaps save and try :wink:

It will be a long burn (if I recall, around 7m), as you know already, if your suicide burn estimate is more than time to impact than you know you have to correct...

The closer to the ground you correct, the less DeltaV you are expected to waste, but the more dangerous will be.

Just rotate the LM to a more vertical attitude in order to reduce vertical velocity at the expense of not reducing as much horizontal velocity, you will waste DeltaV, but you should have enough for that. Close to the ground and with horizontal velocity near zero, throttle back engine (up to 11% minimum) and shutdown and go the final meters with RCS if needed. Bear in mind the RCS's alone won't hover the LM, it will keep falling and accelerating downward, they will just reduce the impact velocity a little.

I had some luck on my first try... After an harrowing unstability near the ground and a premature engine shutdown I ended up landing very close to the limit and survived to get those little kerbals back home :)

1 hour ago, Jaeleth said:

Hi.

Use MechJeb landing descent for guidance (but since it won't give you the suicide burn estimate before ligthing up the engine you may have to either light try it twice or light it first, well before the landing, say 15 minutes, to get the estimate. Don't forget the LM enigne has only 3 starts though! If you don't want to do the math, perhaps save and try :wink:

It will be a long burn (if I recall, around 7m), as you know already, if your suicide burn estimate is more than time to impact than you know you have to correct...

The closer to the ground you correct, the less DeltaV you are expected to waste, but the more dangerous will be.

Just rotate the LM to a more vertical attitude in order to reduce vertical velocity at the expense of not reducing as much horizontal velocity, you will waste DeltaV, but you should have enough for that. Close to the ground and with horizontal velocity near zero, throttle back engine (up to 11% minimum) and shutdown and go the final meters with RCS if needed. Bear in mind the RCS's alone won't hover the LM, it will keep falling and accelerating downward, they will just reduce the impact velocity a little.

I had some luck on my first try... After an harrowing unstability near the ground and a premature engine shutdown I ended up landing very close to the limit and survived to get those little kerbals back home :)

I am actually talking about the CSM parachutes

13 minutes ago, mabdi36 said:

I am actually talking about the CSM parachutes

Ooppsss... indeed you said CM, not LM, lol.

Well, the CM should land in water, in hard rocky surface it will break. But the landing speed is always around 14.2 m/s. How do you manage to have 30m/s? You are usig FAR, right? Have you changed any settings that might change CM energy dissipation through atmosphere? Are you using real chutes?

Also check the default parachute deploy height.

Edited by Jaeleth

8 minutes ago, Jaeleth said:

Ooppsss... indeed you said CM, not LM, lol.

Well, the CM should land in water, in hard rocky surface it will break. But the landing speed is always around 14.2 m/s. How do you manage to have 30m/s? You are usig FAR, right? Have you changed any settings that might change CM energy dissipation through atmosphere? Are you using real chutes?

Also check the default parachute deploy height.

I don't use RO, RSS, FAR or RealChute, actually. I play stock (except you know, FASA). Although I found a turnaround: 3* Radial Parachutes

4 minutes ago, mabdi36 said:

I don't use RO, RSS, FAR or RealChute, actually. I play stock (except you know, FASA). Although I found a turnaround: 3* Radial Parachutes

Then, that might explain... FAR modifies atmosphere (makes it thinner, but with RSS its height is much, much greater, and the direct CM reentry from Moon speed is much, much higher...

There are a number of solutions, including using more chutes or using solid propellant rockets (stage separators, for instance) but that would be to pervert the visuals, right? Remember that FASA Apollo was made for RSS... You could try replacing the original FASA chutes by stock chutes (I do not know if it'd help though). I tried to find some info on how to edit the gamefile value for drag, on a chute, but to no avail. I edited game files before but never the chutes :P.

13 minutes ago, Jaeleth said:

Then, that might explain... FAR modifies atmosphere (makes it thinner, but with RSS its height is much, much greater, and the direct CM reentry from Moon speed is much, much higher...

There are a number of solutions, including using more chutes or using solid propellant rockets (stage separators, for instance) but that would be to pervert the visuals, right? Remember that FASA Apollo was made for RSS... You could try replacing the original FASA chutes by stock chutes (I do not know if it'd help though). I tried to find some info on how to edit the gamefile value for drag, on a chute, but to no avail. I edited game files before but never the chutes :P.

Again, 3*Mk-16 R

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.