[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I meant to mention this earlier -- the 3.75m fairing plate needs its nodes adjusted. I moved the top nodes from a y offset of 0.0 to 0.1, and I moved the bottom ones from -0.5 to -0.25, and it looks like they line up right, now.

I know you already have quite a lot on your plate, Frizzank, but I was just wondering what your position was on the possibility of eventually working the proposed post-Apollo Nuclear Shuttle program into FASA? I know your parameters are NASA from 1958 to 1976, and was just wondering your opinion on this as a hypothetical program right at the end of that time period?

This is what I took away from that read.

The RNS was suited for this task and similarly restricted from landing on Earth for one reason: their engines were given oomph by a nuclear reactor, but approaching one too closely at the wrong angle would expose a person to a fatal dose of radiation.

The rocket’s exhaust was only marginally radioactive, but in the event of a containment breach on the ground or, worse, in the air the engine would have sprayed uranium all over the environment.

If they approached from the sides or, God forbid, the aft where the engine was located they were assured of radiation sickness or death.

I do like the idea of a NERVA-2 engine, but Apollo comes first...

This is what I took away from that read.

I do like the idea of a NERVA-2 engine, but Apollo comes first...

Oh, I never said that the plan wasn't shelved for legitimate reasons :D. It was more just a hypothetical inquiry, thanks for looking in to it. I am quite looking forward to your Apollo parts as well, you have never failed to deliver excellent quality work. Don't burn yourself out though, I think you might be due for a bit of respite considering your recent pace.

Would you mind releasing the Launch Towers separately?

I don't care at all for all the other parts, and the folder structure is somewhat unconventional. It'll take hours to reduce the mod to just the towers by hand.

My KSP can't handle the full mod anyway, just too much stuff in there.

I don't care at all for all the other parts, and the folder structure is somewhat unconventional. It'll take hours to reduce the mod to just the towers by hand.

Well aren't you just Mr Sunshine? Would you mind addressing Frizzank with a bit more respect? Otherwise, spend the "hours" (more like 15 minutes) to isolate the parts you want.

Yes there are a lot of parts in FASA, some are really good, like the launch towers. I split my folders up by program so it would be easier to cut out the ones people want.

Misc is the correct folder where all of the towers are. I put them by themselves because I assumed people would just want the towers. Though I should have named the folder Launch_Clamps or something but I was thinking I would put other things in there that were not program specific.

I posted about this earlier in the Add-on Requests and Support board, but I haven't gotten a reply yet, so I thought I'd ask here, I tried to install the FASA pack today, but KSP keeps getting a runtime C++ error on the loading screen, I've not been modding for long, all I have installed right now is the Procedural fairings, Mechjeb, realchutes and of course FASA, it didn't develop the runtime error until I installed FASA. Any ideas?

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I posted about this earlier in the Add-on Requests and Support board, but I haven't gotten a reply yet, so I thought I'd ask here, I tried to install the FASA pack today, but KSP keeps getting a runtime C++ error on the loading screen, I've not been modding for long, all I have installed right now is the Procedural fairings, Mechjeb, real parachutes and of course FASA, it didn't develop the runtime error until I installed FASA. Any ideas?

FASA does not load plugins so, I have no idea. Usually when this sort of thing crops up its fresh install time. It sucks but it clears up a lot of issues.

Frankly, I've always wondered why Apollo has never gotten the attention of modders. I am anxiously awaiting the next update.

It's a huge project, almost like the real thing....

I suspect part of the reason Apollo has never gotten much attention from modders is that they feel that the stock three-man capsule is a decent analogue to the Apollo Command Module, and the rest of the system (except the LM) can be "easily enough" assembled from stock parts.

Not true, of course, but I can see why they think that way. Heck, one of the first "universally accepted" mod parts for KSP was... I think it was called the "Translatron," though I'm not sure, and it was an unmanned command pod (the only non-SAS part that had reaction wheels at the time--this was back in the days when Kerbals were about 40cm tall, and the original three-man Mark I pod and the Stayputnik were the only root part options!) that was visually modeled after the Apollo Service Module. It carried no propellant (sadly, if you wanted to use it as an SM, you had to bolt a small fuel tank onto the rear, making it excessively long, visually), and served only to provide a huge torque boost for steering large boosters (important, as at the time, the only control surfaces available were the spaceplane ones, and there was no thrust vectoring yet). Still, bolt it onto the rear of the Mark I pod, slap a (superfluous) LV-909 on the rear, and it looked a LOT like the Apollo CSM...

Side note: Frizz, I don't know if it would be feasible, since I'm not sure exactly how you're modeling the S-I/S-IB stage (wasn't the only difference there that the S-IB had uprated engines?), but would it be possible to also have a Jupiter stage come out with it? (This assumes that the plan is to have us assemble the S-I/S-IB stage in components, with the top structure, then the central Jupiter LOX tank, then symmetrical Redstone tanks for LOX and kerosene, then a thrust structure on the Jupiter tank, then the engines below that. If you're planning on just making it a single part from top structure to thrust structure, obviously, that wouldn't be very viable...)

Edited by rdfox

S-I had different fins, which I'd really like to see modeled. There were no fins on Block-1, Block-2 had two types of fins not unlike the Delta-Deluxe Winglets (one longer, one shorter) and Saturn IB had highly swept, smaller fins.

I know everyone has there favorite bits and parts of the Apollo program but this is huge project and I need to keep it manageable.

I really don't want to creep in content for every variant, version, and launch of the Apollo program. It would be the death of this project.

I'm going to start with the major milestones and then fill in the more interesting bits later.

For now that means JUST Saturn 1B, then Saturn V, namely the Apollo 11 configuration.

I suspect part of the reason Apollo has never gotten much attention from modders is that they feel that the stock three-man capsule is a decent analogue to the Apollo Command Module, and the rest of the system (except the LM) can be "easily enough" assembled from stock parts.

Not true, of course, but I can see why they think that way. Heck, one of the first "universally accepted" mod parts for KSP was... I think it was called the "Translatron," though I'm not sure, and it was an unmanned command pod (the only non-SAS part that had reaction wheels at the time--this was back in the days when Kerbals were about 40cm tall, and the original three-man Mark I pod and the Stayputnik were the only root part options!) that was visually modeled after the Apollo Service Module. It carried no propellant (sadly, if you wanted to use it as an SM, you had to bolt a small fuel tank onto the rear, making it excessively long, visually), and served only to provide a huge torque boost for steering large boosters (important, as at the time, the only control surfaces available were the spaceplane ones, and there was no thrust vectoring yet). Still, bolt it onto the rear of the Mark I pod, slap a (superfluous) LV-909 on the rear, and it looked a LOT like the Apollo CSM...

Side note: Frizz, I don't know if it would be feasible, since I'm not sure exactly how you're modeling the S-I/S-IB stage (wasn't the only difference there that the S-IB had uprated engines?), but would it be possible to also have a Jupiter stage come out with it? (This assumes that the plan is to have us assemble the S-I/S-IB stage in components, with the top structure, then the central Jupiter LOX tank, then symmetrical Redstone tanks for LOX and kerosene, then a thrust structure on the Jupiter tank, then the engines below that. If you're planning on just making it a single part from top structure to thrust structure, obviously, that wouldn't be very viable...)

I don't think there was no attention for Apollo parts, just no attention from the right modders. Lionhead had a CSM/LM and another mod also released one, but both of those were rough. Lionhead knows his stuff, but the CSM/LM was like his earliest work. Others have planned Apollo/Saturn parts as well, but never got to release them.

About the S-I(B) stage being split up, I think it'd be possible stability-wise (or at least with the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod) but I'd wonder about the usefulness of it. The current Redstone texture couldn't be reused, because it differs from that of the Saturn IB. Furthermore the size of the Saturn IB stage in KSP would probably be 3.75m (modder size convention), which leaves only 1.25m for the diameter of the central Jupiter tank. If that's the case it'd be exactly the same as the Redstone just with a different texture. That doesn't seem very useful at all, more effort than you would get out of it.

Boamere

Nice ship, how many tries did it take getting it to orbit?

Oh god, don't get me started on that XD....The pain...D:

(13+times; It was SO top heavy)

Turns out it's harder than you think

Edited by Boamere

FASA does not load plugins so, I have no idea. Usually when this sort of thing crops up its fresh install time. It sucks but it clears up a lot of issues...

Removing FASA fixed the error though. No offense, but, it stands to reason that if the error only occurs when FASA is installed, and not after it's uninstalled, then the problem should be with FASA, not the other mods, I've also been running validation checks through Steam, so there's nothing wrong with the base game. I'd hate to have to start all over again, is there any way to reinstall but save my existing career, so I don't have to start from scratch?

I've been modding games like Star Trek: Bridge Commander and the Flight Simulator series for years, so I understand the basics, but I've only just started in KSP.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Removing FASA fixed the error though. No offense, but, it stands to reason that if the error only occurs when FASA is installed, and not after it's uninstalled, then the problem should be with FASA, not the other mods, I've also been running validation checks through Steam, so there's nothing wrong with the base game. I'd hate to have to start all over again, is there any way to reinstall but save my existing career, so I don't have to start from scratch?

I've been modding games like Star Trek: Bridge Commander and the Flight Simulator series for years, so I understand the basics, but I've only just started in KSP.

Maybe you should re-download fasa and remember to put all the folders in "gamedata" (in the mod) in the ksp gamedata folder.

bVih0eC.png?1

Also if ksp crashes then it could be to do with memory

Edited by Boamere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.