[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Quick Question: are there any textures packs for this mod that replace the "Kerbal States" on the rockets with the words "United States"?

I'm doing a project in school on the real-life Mercury Project in the early 1960's. I have to make a powerpoint, and I might make a cinematic to accompany my presentation. If I do make this cinematic, I will be using this mod. That's why I'd like the rockets and capsules to say "United States" instead of "Kerbal States".

Download and install -Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs You are most likely running out of memory.

Nope, didn't do anything. Also, should have mentioned this before. When I downloaded FASA it said that Gemini_SRB_175 was corrupt, but I checked the directory and it's there and seems to be fine.

Nope, didn't do anything. Also, should have mentioned this before. When I downloaded FASA it said that Gemini_SRB_175 was corrupt, but I checked the directory and it's there and seems to be fine.

From the sound if it id say your IVA's are missing. Try a fresh download. And make sure you have Squad's mk-1 pod IVA installed. Is your throttle and g-indicator grayed out as well?

Quick Question: are there any textures packs for this mod that replace the "Kerbal States" on the rockets with the words "United States"?

I'm doing a project in school on the real-life Mercury Project in the early 1960's. I have to make a powerpoint, and I might make a cinematic to accompany my presentation. If I do make this cinematic, I will be using this mod. That's why I'd like the rockets and capsules to say "United States" instead of "Kerbal States".

You also might want to use RedAV8R's realism patch for FASA. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73319

Your best bet would be to see if Frizzank will send you the source .psd/.xcf and then edit the "Kerbal States" to "United States". After that all you would need to do is save it as a .tga and replace the existing one in "/gamedata/FASA/Mercury/FASA_Mercury_LFT_Long". Frizzank might even be willing to do that edit for you considering that its for school. If he sends you the source image, and you need help, I'm also more than happy to make that edit for you.

From the sound if it id say your IVA's are missing. Try a fresh download. And make sure you have Squad's mk-1 pod IVA installed. Is your throttle and g-indicator grayed out as well?

Huh, I tried redownloading in for a 3rd time and for some reason it worked, still got the error too. Anyways, thanks!

RE Various problems with Command Pods etc.

I too was having problems with command pods (or even Kerbals themselves) not working. I was also having issues with controlability. I have partially diagnosed the issue. This is not a full answer nor is it a complete one.

In MY case I found that having FASA and Denny's Apollo mod at the same time with all the other mods I was running was causing the game to bug out. None of my Science items (Either Squad or Mod based) would work and the only info My kerbals would give me was the number of rems/rads they were exposed to. I could plant a flag but no other options were available.

At first I tried a re-install of KSP. Then I tried installing one mod at a time. The last mod I was to install was Denny's and when I installed it I had the problem re-appear. I am still testing and I am going to try running only FASA + Denny's Saturn V before I add the other mods back in to see what I can see. THIS STATEMENT DOES NOT MEAN THAT FASA and Denny's Saturn V Mod are INCOMPATIBLE. Far from it. I have not tested out to eliminate the mod(s) that are causing my issues yet, I have not had time this weekend. I can tell you I have removed Lazor and all ancillary sub mods, I have removed Denny's Mod, and I have removed about 12 other mods. ONE of them is causing the issue, I just don't know WHAT ONE yet!

I know I have said this 3 or 4 times. I know Frizzank has said this probably 150 times (I have not counted,) and I KNOW it is on the first page of this forum.... TRY WITH A CLEAN INSTALL with NO MODS! Then add one mod at a time until it breaks. It will generally fix everything and tell you what mods are not working. I actually have two builds of KSP on my computer, one for playing and one for testing mod compatibility.

Lastly, no offense to Ferram as he did a great job trying to make aerodynamics better. But I have completely stopped using FAR. Aside from fixing some gross Inertia/drag issues (infinite gliders etc,) It does not address the key issues, as I see them, with Aerodynamics in KSP.

Pappystein

@Motokid600: That would be due to the fact that FAR (for some reason, likely my own foolishness) has been including the size of the "airlock" and "ladder" objects in its geometry calculations, and for the Mercury pod it's large enough to push the CoD off 0.5 meters from the pod center. It's fixed in the current build on Github, if you want to go about downloading the dll from there.

@Frizzank: I've played around with the various Apollo stuff, and it's all very cool; I really like the way the fairings for the Saturn rockets detach. That said, the way that you've modeled up the bottom plates for the S-II and the S-IVB, with the straight section of tank and stringers right above the exposed tank and thrust structure basically throws FAR out of whack completely. The parts taper enough that they'll make stupid amounts of drag when they're exposed, but the small straight section of the part is enough to bring the centroid of the mesh outside of the area scanned by FAR's payload fairing code, so the Saturn IB and Saturn V have terrible amounts of drag as a result. I can try and come up with a fix for it to throw into FAR's config, but a better solution would be to re-model the bases to make things work properly. I assume that you don't want to put in the work to re-do them, so for now it probably makes sense to declare FASA Apollo to be FAR-incompatible (with no plans to make them compatible) somewhere in the OP so that people don't flood the thread with complaints about it.

Im having serious issues with the Mercury pod. Acording to the VAB the CoM is fine. But its not. It seems as soon as I decouple the LES tower and the cap it goes haywire. In space it seems okay, but in atmosphere it spins uncontrolably. And it doesn't want to rest heat-shield first on reentry. Instead it wants to renter sideways. I'm using FAR, but I've never had this problem before.

I don't use FAR, but I know a lot of you do. I am discussing with ferram on ways to fix some of the bugs with FASA, the most recent one can be fixed with his latest build on github.http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/20451

Hey Frizznak whats next after the Saturn V? I know that Saturn V hasn't been officially released or even fully completed but it seems that you have been working towards the penultimate goal of the Saturn V is there anything next? Skylab? Space Shuttle? Delta rockets? Orion? FYI I only ask out of curiosity because I will download anything that you produce. I will be perfectly happy and with no complaints with what you have done thus far, just looking towards the future thats all.
I think people should start making their own rockets. Like Stubbles with his Zenit. Id love to see what Frizz could do working off of imagination.

Im going to take a break for a bit I have an idea of what I would like to do, and with the joint fix in the latest update it is now possible. I will post in the development thread when I flesh it out some more.

I have not made a united states version of the lettering, but it has been requested a few times. Its an easy thing on my side to do I just need to set it up and have a download for it that makes it easily replaceable. United and Kerbal have the same number of letters....

Can anyone please help? None of the manned pods work for me (the unmanned one does, though). When I use them I have my hud, except for the staging and kerbals in the bottom left. I also cannot interact with them at all (such as toggling lights), and when I EVA my game crashes.

Follow the instructions on the main page for broken FASA.....

In MY case I found that having FASA and Denny's Apollo mod at the same time with all the other mods I was running was causing the game to bug out. None of my Science items (Either Squad or Mod based) would work and the only info My kerbals would give me was the number of rems/rads they were exposed to. I could plant a flag but no other options were available.

We are both using the same names for the the same capsules. Why you would have 2 of the same pod I have no idea? I am going to rename his parts in FASA to include the FASA prefix before the final release so there will be no more conflicts. Unfortunately this will break your craft files if you have any saved from before the change. Until then you can just delete the duplicate pods.

Please make the Centaur and RL-10. It's the last piece missing for the complete Titan III pack, and could also be launched on Atlas. It'd be a great addition, and I won't complain about it being 2.5m, I promise. :)

I've been playing with the 4.10 parts combined with Denny's CSM and so far my launch vehicles have not been working as expected. The Saturn V first stage is getting me to 10km, but at only about 200m/s. The real one accelerated much faster than that (sound barrier in seconds). The second stage has a lot of trouble lifting the rest of the stack even more. It can't keep up the speed that the S-IC stage got it up to. After it starts accelerating again it can barely get the rest of the vehicle to a 100km orbit. Then I have to do the entire orbital insertion with the S-IVB, which leaves virtually no fuel left for Munar insertion.

Denny's parts are tuned to approximate actual performance of Saturn V. That means once the 1st stage burns out, the 2nd stage has pathetic TWR, and the 3rd stage is even worse. Saturn V as made by Denny is though to fly, and not balanced with FASA in mind, either. You'll need to use his rocket to get any mileage from the CSM, and/or wait for FASA to include a reconfigured CSM.

I've been playing with the 4.10 parts combined with Denny's CSM and so far my launch vehicles have not been working as expected. The Saturn V first stage is getting me to 10km, but at only about 200m/s. The real one accelerated much faster than that (sound barrier in seconds). The second stage has a lot of trouble lifting the rest of the stack even more. It can't keep up the speed that the S-IC stage got it up to. After it starts accelerating again it can barely get the rest of the vehicle to a 100km orbit. Then I have to do the entire orbital insertion with the S-IVB, which leaves virtually no fuel left for Munar insertion.

I had that problem, though I used a Taurus HCV coupled to the 3.75m short tank and a J-2...

Uhm... Frizz you say the problem of not being able to do science with OLDD is due to duplicate parts? Because ( no offence now ) I have removed anything Apollo from your folder. Including the docking port and IVA. Yet when I drop OLDD into gamedata science is still disabled. Now.. idk.. what other parts could be duplicates that are not in your folder? I have nothing else installed that relates to Apollo.

EDIT: Ive posted some stuff for Denny to troubleshoot in his thread. Im guessing it has something to do with his custom science modules.

Edited by Motokid600

Denny's parts are tuned to approximate actual performance of Saturn V. That means once the 1st stage burns out, the 2nd stage has pathetic TWR, and the 3rd stage is even worse. Saturn V as made by Denny is though to fly, and not balanced with FASA in mind, either. You'll need to use his rocket to get any mileage from the CSM, and/or wait for FASA to include a reconfigured CSM.

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

The blue happens during the day too, just fyi. Its not a complaint just reporting a bug I suppose. Im not really picky or **** about these things, as long as my KSP doesn't crash and the parts work I don't have a problem. Just disappointing to see at first when you get to the launchpad. w5FAVoq.png

I absolutely agree! When its not blue and its sitting the launchpad all sliver and shiny, its really pretty and cool. So like I said it not a complaint just wanted to let you know what was up.

I have a suggestion. Give the Titan SRBs new flames from the NASA pack. The current ones are a bit wimpy, and those new flames look awesome. Plus they're 100% stock. :) You could also look into updating other engines with new flames.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.