[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Any one else having an issue with the Saturn rocket tumbling in the gravity turn?

1) are you using FAR?

2) Are you attempting hard or shallow turns?

I have not built a full Saturn V yet but I did build my Saturn II INT 18. No issues on the gravity turn and I was hauling 4 White Titan SRBs.

I hope this helps

Far compatibility is tricky, I have some weirdly shaped meshes in FASA that freak FAR out (Pipes and other cool details). I talked with Faramm and he said he was going to try and make a module that would let me define a mesh as the aerodynamic shape for the more weirdly put together stuff. Most of the cases that just going to be the collision mesh and it should help a lot with far.

Its a huge rocket, you can't just pitch it over like a fighter plane at 10k meters.

DO NOT gravity turn at your normal place. Point strait up and starting at about 21,000 m turn SLOWLY 5 or 10 degrees at a time keeping just slightly ahead of your prograde circle. This will let you get far enough out of the atmosphere that FAR will not strait up disintegrate you at the slightest movement.

Far compatibility is tricky, I have some weirdly shaped meshes in FASA that freak FAR out (Pipes and other cool details). I talked with Faramm and he said he was going to try and make a module that would let me define a mesh as the aerodynamic shape for the more weirdly put together stuff. Most of the cases that just going to be the collision mesh and it should help a lot with far.

Its a huge rocket, you can't just pitch it over like a fighter plane at 10k meters.

DO NOT gravity turn at your normal place. Point strait up and starting at about 21,000 m turn SLOWLY 5 or 10 degrees at a time keeping just slightly ahead of your prograde circle. This will let you get far enough out of the atmosphere that FAR will not strait up disintegrate you at the slightest movement.

Could always break the look of the rocket and add fins to it but then again I'm no purist I just go for functionality.

Actually, Saturn V had fins precisely for this purpose. They should be functional, IMO, it's really annoying to have fins that don't do anything but look nice. They were added by NASA for a reason...

Actually, Saturn V had fins precisely for this purpose. They should be functional, IMO, it's really annoying to have fins that don't do anything but look nice. They were added by NASA for a reason...

They ARE functional, as stated before the rather complicated and detailed meshes from the engines and the mounting plates are messing up far.

As for the stock game it works beautifully.

The wings are tiny compared to the cross section of the rest of the rocket so they don't do much. NASA even considered removing them to save on drag, but without complex drag models that were beyond the technology at the time, they had no definitive way of determining what the effect would be without launching a rocket and seeing the result. That would have been a very expensive test just to save a relatively small amount of fuel, so they decided if it isn't broke don't fix.

So you see it is actually fairly realistic that they don't really do anything. They do look cool though!

Edited by frizzank

Was it just the Mercury pod that was fixed in the last FAR update? Because Gemini still wants to reenter prograde.

I suspect this is because I did not include the word fairing or cargo bay in them, I will include that in the next update.

This is the basic drag override module if someone wants to plug these in the parts that are messed up with far and see if it helps. If it works I will include it in the next update.

MODULE  
{
name = FARBasicDragModel
S = 1 //Surface Area
CdCurve //Drag coefficient at various angles
{
key = -1 0 //backwards
key = 0 0.3 //sideways
key = 1.0 0 //forwards
}
ClCurve
{
key = -1 0 //Lift coefficient
key = -0.5 -0.03
key = 0 0
key = 0.5 0.03
key = 1 0
}
CmCurve //Moment coefficient
{
key = -1 0
key = -0.5 -0.01 //keeping angle and moment signs the same results in pitch instability; it will try to flip over
key = 0 0 //making them opposite signs results in pitch stability; it will try to angle fully forward
key = 0.5 0.01
key = 1 0
}
localUpVector = 0,1,0 //a unit vector defining "up" for this part; 0,1,0 is standard for most stock-compliant parts
localForwardVector = 1,0,0 //a unti vector defining "forward" for this part; 1,0,0 is standard for msot stock-compliant parts
majorMinorAxisRatio = 1 //the ratio of the part's "forward" length to its "side" length, used for drag and lift calculations
taperCrossSectionAreaRatio = 0; //the part's tapered area projected on a plane normal to the "up" vector, divided by surface area; used to handle changes in drag at hypersonic speeds
CenterOfDrag = 0,0,0 //a vector defining the part's CoD
}

I was worried about that. I hope that in time it would become more comparable with other parts. considering I don't think I could put any other docking device on the Apollo capsule. I wonder maybe I could use the lem docking port... on other things, can any thing else dock with it?

Apollo docking cone only works with apollo CSM docking device, iirc.

This is incorrect. It is a size0 port so any other size0 port will dock with it. There are no male an female docking ports in Kerbal so you could have them both be the same and it would still work.

The collision on the ports is a little wonky and they do work best with each other but it is possible to dock with other ports including Gemini....

This is incorrect. It is a size0 port so any other size0 port will dock with it. There are no male an female docking ports in Kerbal so you could have them both be the same and it would still work.

The collision on the ports is a little wonky and they do work best with each other but it is possible to dock with other ports including Gemini....

Arr thanks for clarify this.

Side note, anyone using FASA *and* MechJeb should know that the docking autopilot only reliably works in one way for the Gemini and Apollo docking ports.

With the Gemini/Agena docking arrangement, attempting an automatic docking to the Agena docking port will see the Gemini try to dock at right angles to it, if you use the Gemini as the "hunter" in the arrangement. Having the Gemini stay put and the Agena attempt to automatically dock with it will resolve the issue just fine; it docks correctly. With the Apollo docking gear, it's the same--attempting to automatically dock the probe-equipped vehicle to the drogue (cone)-equipped one will end with an attempt to dock at 90 degrees to the docking axis; however, having the drogue-equipped vehicle automatically dock with the probe-equipped one will work just fine.

This is not a bug report (it's long been known that the funky collision models needed screw up MechJeb when it comes to auto-docking), just informing people. There's also another workaround using MechJeb, so long as both spacecraft can be controlled at the time (meaning that you need a probe core in the unmanned craft). First, switch to the drogue-equipped vehicle, control from the drogue, set the docking probe as your target, and activate Smart A.S.S. in the "+TGT" mode, so it aims the docking port directly at the other one. Switch back to your probe-equipped vehicle, control from the probe, target the drogue, activate +TGT, roll to whatever roll attitude you want relative to the target, and then manually close in and dock with the RCS; this makes the alignment automatic and only requires the manual approach.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.