[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

When you're done with revamping the engines in NP, are you planning anything for this, or are you thinking about taking a break for a little bit? This is a great pack, and there really isn't anything I'd like to see added other than a Mercury replica to replace the stock capsule, I'm just being nosy. haha

As a side note, I went to the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama at the first of June and saw the replicas of Mercury Redstone and Atlas, and it gave me a whole new appreciation for early US space flight, and it convinced me to finally download this mod and play around with it(used the Gemini parts from the old NP pack before, never thought too much about Mercury.)

Probably going to remake the Gemini Exterior capsule first. Its the only left over from Tosh's original model, and I would like for the entire mod to be my own. Also the Atlas rocket is not really an Atlas but some cobbled stock parts with part clipping turned off. Would probably like to make some real Atlas engines. Also the Agena target vehicle would be fun to make.

I also need to figure out how to re-use textures. Im doing a lot of it and it would cut down on the size of the mod a significant amount. So if any one knows this process I would appreciate the help.

The parts are awesome, great modelwork and great texture work.

My only niggle is that it appears that the Titan II parts at 2.5m diameter are 81% scale (10 ft/3.05m diameter in real life), compared to the Gemini Capsule which appears to be 64% scale.

Reason I ask regarding the scaling is that there were proposals for scaled up Titans which would have been 15 feet (4.572m) and 16 feet (4.8768m) in diameter.

These bigger Titans were known by two different designations:

Titan IIIG, with a 180" diameter core -- proposed around late 1967 to 1969 as an alternative to the Saturn V/INT-20 by Martin:

titaniiig.jpg

Selected Comments on Agena and Titan III Family Stages, Case 720; 26 March 1968, Bellcomm

The Titan IIIG has a 15 ft. diameter core with a 4 engine first stage, and can use 7-segment 120-inch or 5-segment 156-inch diameter SRM. Low earth orbit payloads up to 100,000 lbs are claimed. Martin has generated a serious sales effort to sell this vehicle in competition to the Saturn derivative intermediate family (e.g., INT-20).

(Note: They used two LR-87s and two LR-91s in all the large diameter core Titans, it's just that people kept counting nozzles and not turbopumps).

Later, from Mid 1971 onwards, Martin proposed an even larger Titan variant; the Titan IIIL; which would have had a 192" diameter core, with various SRB options:

Titan-IIIL-1.gif

There was even a proposal to use IIIL as a Space Shuttle booster with SIX (!!) UA-1207 SRMs strapped to the sides under the designation Titan IIIL-6:

2yjwrva.jpg

My only niggle is that it appears that the Titan II parts at 2.5m diameter are 81% scale (10 ft/3.05m diameter in real life), compared to the Gemini Capsule which appears to be 64% scale.

Reason I ask regarding the scaling is that there were proposals for scaled up Titans which would have been 15 feet (4.572m) and 16 feet (4.8768m) in diameter.

These bigger Titans were known by two different designations:

Titan IIIG, with a 180" diameter core -- proposed around late 1967 to 1969 as an alternative to the Saturn V/INT-20 by Martin:

You are absolutely correct!

When I started construction I brought these exact plans in to the KSP Flight Operations and Construction Office for approval. This is where I had a meeting with the little yellow guy in charge, Bob Kerbal. I showed him the plans and he responded with "What are these rockets for ANTS?!" "Make them Kerbal sized or the deals off!".

So I had to redesign everything, and that's why the sizes are what they are...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd prefer if the pack was 64% scale. That would roughly correspond to 2m (1.9 if you want to be precise). Also, it'd be nice if you beefed up the exhaust plumes on the SRBs.

I'm currently using the Gemini as is. She's a little squirrelly when trying to dock, but otherwise performs well. I'm sure frizzank will get the yips out of her steering easily enough. :)

Just jump into the .cfg files and swap out the old sas parameters for the new ones... making sure you scale for weight

It may not be perfect, but it will at least allow you to continue to use this AWESOME mod. :)

Yes everything still works with the new update, been using it in tandem with Nova Punch Update. After I am done with the nova punch engines I am going to spend some time on this mod.

I would like to hear other suggestions from everyone to see what they would like to see next in the mod. Some suggestions have been.

Agena target vehicle.

Custom Mercury Capsule.

Skylab.

Yes everything still works with the new update, been using it in tandem with Nova Punch Update. After I am done with the nova punch engines I am going to spend some time on this mod.

I would like to hear other suggestions from everyone to see what they would like to see next in the mod. Some suggestions have been.

Agena target vehicle.

Custom Mercury Capsule.

Skylab.

Really good to hear you are planning an update. I would suggest making the agena in such a way as it could be used as final stage booster for probes. As it and the centaur were used i think. Also some of the USAF plans for the Gemini such as the parasail/skids based landing version where the parasail deploys. Also the super gemini options with a rear cargo area docked to a port through the heat shield. Anyway awesome news on your update plans looking forward to it.

I'm looking forward to your update - once I get the hang of piloting, rendezvous and docking, I want to start a new save that mirrors the American manned space program. So Mercury and Gemini are essential! Add my voice to those seeking a good (and non parts-intensive) Skylab too. It was my favorite thing about space exploration in the 70s.

Agena target vehicle.

Custom Mercury Capsule.

Skylab.

The Mercury Capsule is the one on the list I want most. Skylab 2nd. Agena third. But whatever you do, I'll end up downloading and flying/crashing a lot because I love the way they look. You've done outstanding work on this and NP!

I would love to see a proper Mercury and Agena. The Agena I cobbled and clipped together went wibbly on me just after docking, so I undocked and backed off to 100 metres or so. Good thing I did, because it exploded soon after!

Just watched The Right Stuff this evening and jonesing more than ever to see this pack done up for 0.21!

Does anyone have good 0.21 configs for these parts? I'm content using them in the meantime - in fact I just did an Alan-Shepardesque flight in the basic Mercury Redstone, achieved an altitude just shy of 136 km!

Edited by HeadHunter67

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.