[Workaround] for Xbox 360 controller : Triggers and DPAD mapping

Originally posted by Athlonic

Having problems mapping your Xbox 360 gamepad Triggers/DPAD ?

Here is the catch :

KSPs input configuration menu sees Left Trigger and Right Trigger as 50% range axes "8" and "9" respectively.

In this way you have two separate axes which you can't bind for only one purpose.

Buuuuuut ... if you tells KSP to recognize your Triggers as only one axis (In this case, I found out it is the axis "2") : Triggers works as a unique shared axis.

And voilà, you can finally use your Left and Right Triggers as you want !

With this supplementary axis I managed to map all my axes well so I do not need to endlessly switch between Rotation and Translation mode when docking.

Here is how you get it working :

1- Go into the input menu

2- Map either the left or right trigger to the control you want it to be mapped (ie. Throttle incremental)

3- Apply the changes

4- Quit the game

5- Open the "settings.cfg" file located in your "KSP_Win" Folder with your favorite text editor program

6- Search for your input line (ie. Throttle incremental : AXIS_THROTTLE_INC)

7- Replace :

Code:

AXIS_THROTTLE_INC

{

name = Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows) 8

id = joy0.8

inv = True

sensitivity = 1.777855

deadzone = 0.1516286

switchState = Any

}

With :

Code:

AXIS_THROTTLE_INC

{

name = Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows) 2

id = joy0.2

inv = True

sensitivity = 1.777855

deadzone = 0.1516286

switchState = Any

}

8- Save the changes

9- Relaunch the game, test, set sensitivity, deadzone and invert if necessary.

10- Enjoy your working Triggers

Note :

If you remap any control in the input menu with a Trigger, you will have to do all this process again for this input.

As KSP will rename your Trigger axis by 8 or 9 instead of 2.

For the D-PAD :

KSP recognize them as axes (axis 5 and 6) and not buttons.

So you can use them for controlling ships movements or the camera but not as a 4 standards buttons.

You just have to map them as axes and they works fine.

@ SQUAD :

- Can you look at this and make the game recognizing the Left and Right Triggers as axis "2" and not axis "8" and "9" ?

- Also can you make the DPAD recognized as 4 buttons instead of 2 axes ?

Thanks.

And I hope this helped some of you. ;)

• 1 month later...
Thank you for making this thread but I was wondering if it was possible to use your triggers as button and not axis

Nope, sorry.

Assigning an axis (via .cfg edit) on a control meant to be a key press will result in a settings.cfg load failure at launch and KSP will then reset it and use a default .cfg file.

;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now there is something interesting ...

I just installed KSP under my Windows 8 partition, and the game pick the X360 gamepad triggers as a single axis #2 without any need of tweaking.

Therefore my X360 gamepad is working flawlessly right out of the box !

Can anyone using a X360 pad and Win8 confirm this please ?

• 9 months later...
Now there is something interesting ...

I just installed KSP under my Windows 8 partition, and the game pick the X360 gamepad triggers as a single axis #2 without any need of tweaking.

Therefore my X360 gamepad is working flawlessly right out of the box !

Can anyone using a X360 pad and Win8 confirm this please ?

Windows 8.1, stock KSP from Steam. Triggers are detected as axis 8+9, had to follow these steps to unify them.

• 2 months later...

I tried yesterday this solution, most of it worked fine, but flying was impossible due to a very anonying input behaviour of the controls...

Even the camera tends to move around, and the plane to turn without my control. I tried increasing the dead zone value up to half of the bar but it was still happening!

Any idea?

• 1 month later...

Kinda digging up an old thread I guess, but is there any way to get the left trigger to act as the throttle? I can assign the axis, but it only works from 50 to 100%. I've tried calibrating the controller so the left trig is 0-100, which makes the right trig do nothing, but it doesn't change the in game action at all. I know 0.24 set the starting throttle amount to 50. Is there any way to change that to 0?

update: so if I assign axis 2 to AXIS_THROTTLE, I can basically use the left and right triggers to push the throttle around from the center 50% mark. Or I can hold both, and release/push the right one for 50-100 and the left for 50-0. So for throttling down I have the left trigger fully pressed, then press the right to get to 50, then release the left to get to 0.

It's pretty uncomfortable tho, so I have been just using the fix here for incremental throttle. I might try again using x360ce to see if I can assign the full 1 to -1 axis to one trigger, but even so, thanks for this thread being here :D

Edited by INSULINt
testing update and THANKS!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Question: how can I assign both trigger to yaw control? RT= yaw right, LT= yaw left ?

Alternatively, can I assign triggers to roll control?

Hi,

Just do the same as shown in the example but in "AXIS_YAW" or "AXIS_ROLL" instead of "AXIS_THROTTLE_INC" section.

;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.