LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

@SSSPutnik,

Very nice. Been a long time since I've taken the time to approach something of that scale.

And since we'll be getting a full-blown LES with the ARM patch. I decided to make a little shroud for the capsule.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Still need to play around with sizing some, and the texture's a place holder as it's a bit funky when inside the VAB.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The way part files are organized seems like an absolute mess. If there is a system to it, it's impenetrable by me. Compare Squad's part folder to yours:

8Q6T8pk.jpg

I really don't mean to be rude, I'm just extremely frustrated because I've been trying to set up a .cfg to make HotRockets work with SXT and I've been pulling my hair out all afternoon trying to find where all the parts are hidden. Multiple parts coded in the same .cfg file, completely unrelated parts and models stored in the same folder, the probe chassis is a command part and yet it's not in the command folder, etc. It's very frustrating to try to find things :mad: </rant>

Also, I'm pretty sure the Stage3NEng.cfg (the stage 3 nuclear engine used in the KV-N ship) uses the same title as the smaller NERVA so only one shows up in the VAB. As far as I can tell, the Stage3NEng doesn't seem to draw fuel from fuel tanks--it runs when you use the infinite fuel cheat in the debug menu but when I stage, it just shows an empty fuel gauge.

And in the MEMLander.cfg, there are too many empty lines between the ModuleEngines and RCS Module. It makes it so SXT and ModManager don't want to play nice together:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngines
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 12
heatProduction = 150
fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.125
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 311
key = 1 280
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCS
thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
thrusterPower = 0.44
resourceName = MonoPropellant
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 290
key = 1 100
}
}

Edited by Varses

Also, I'm pretty sure the Stage3NEng.cfg (the stage 3 nuclear engine used in the KV-N ship) uses the same title as the smaller NERVA so only one shows up in the VAB. As far as I can tell, the Stage3NEng doesn't seem to draw fuel from fuel tanks--it runs when you use the infinite fuel cheat in the debug menu but when I stage, it just shows an empty fuel gauge.

No, they don't. It has 'category = -1' set, as do a number of the Saturn V parts, so they don't show up in the VAB (balancing, duplication of effort, etc.) It's just a one off 'by request' design so I haven't tested it much. Worth remembering that when I made the Saturn V, it wasn't intended to be part of the main SXT pack. Which other folders have unrelated parts in (also worth noting that some of that is done since, even with 1x1 textures, KSP uses more RAM to process that than it really has any right to, keeping the number down of .tga's is important. Squad is guilty of the opposite of this, having a separate folder, model and texture for every part is incredibly wasteful).

I had put things in 'Parts/Command/etc' at the start, but then I decided I couldn't be bothered with it and stopped, as it's just another thing to get wrong when writing the www section of MODEL{} modules. It's pretty minor, but miss it a few times, wonder why a texture/model isn't loading and it get's annoying.

I'll fix it all up in the beta stage, I was thinking of just calling what I've got 'Set 1' or something and moving into beta soon.

Edit: And re-organised. Ish. Saturn V is broken, the pathways are correct but the part loader is throwing a fit. Much better than it used to be, but still a temperamental little so and so, by turns.

Edit: Leaving SV outside of the sub-folders seems to fix that.

Edit: That's a bit better. The distinction between Structural and FuelTank doesn't make sense with certain part families containing parts could be put in either. So I merged them to Hull, and moved the miscellaneous 'structural' elements to Utility.

zvHWH4M.png

Edited by Lack

Well! looks like the textures are kinda borked! any word on an update?

Yeah, those rascals at Squad went and renamed a bunch of their textures from things like "model000.mbm" to things like "cabin.mbm". Had to fix a bunch of parts from my own pack. Luckily, it's an easy fix (you can probably do it yourself if you're impatient, but I'm sure Lack'll get to it quick).

Ugh, have they gone and released ARM now? And I was just about to go to bed.

Edit: Hmm, well, apparently I've filled up my HDD.

Edit:

Here's a quick fix. There's a few new parts in there that aren't properly balanced/final form yet to be decided, and are subject to change, but I couldn't be fussed rolling the dev version back to be in-line with previously released parts.

SXT-alpha-11a.zip

N.B. Quick edit between 10 minutes till the hour and 8 min past, fixing the MEM Descent Module. So if you've got a problem with that then re-download.

Edit: Now to mess around for a few minutes. Here's some pics of the shroud with the LES.

XJIvFdb.png

aQGKjPD.png

Edited by Lack

Oh, neat!

Btw, this has been happening for the last few days:

The textures for a bunch of your parts, most of the ones from your stock-alike pack as it seems, appear to have gotten broken...

Yeah, that's the game not loading the texture correctly. (Either texture isn't there any longer, or www path is incorrect).

The alpha-11a should fix the problems the ARM file name changes introduced (which muck up the www). Is it still doing that with the new version?

4SdWdB0.png

m15ch8f.png

Anyway, it's the middle of the night, I'm off to bed. Releasing patches mid-week. I don't know, don't they know people have work in the morning. Tsk, tsk. *Shakes head disapprovingly*, you know back in my day *trails off into incomprehensible rambling*.

Edited by Lack

Yeah, that's the game not loading the texture correctly. (Either texture isn't there any longer, or www path is incorrect).

The alpha-11a should fix the problems the ARM file name changes introduced (which muck up the www). Is it still doing that with the new version?

Anyway, it's the middle of the night, I'm off to bed. Releasing patches mid-week. I don't know, don't they know people have work in the morning. Tsk, tsk. *Shakes head disapprovingly*, you know back in my day *trails off into incomprehensible rambling*.

Yep, seems to have fixed it...

Don't know if this is a bug but the structural tubes/pipes are gray not white

That's deliberate. I'm still not decided on the texture for those, the white is too white, but I'm not happy with the grey either.

@BananaDealer,

Good, good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.