LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

Hmm yes, the modular fuels config.

BTW also noticed the standard Jet/LFO containers are a bit odd, for example the jet only tank would hold less fuel than the same size LFO tank (which holds also oxidizer). Any particular reason for that?

The Jet fuel was based off the model volume to fuel ratio of the stock 1.25m jet-fuel tank. They might have changed that though, that was done back in .18 or something, and I haven't bothered to check since.

The Jet fuel was based off the model volume to fuel ratio of the stock 1.25m jet-fuel tank. They might have changed that though, that was done back in .18 or something, and I haven't bothered to check since.

Actually they are like that, and modular fuels respects it. However that's a bit weird. Even more in LLL's case, because the LF tank is does not have higher crash tolerance than the LFO tank.

Personally I'd make the jet tank to hold same amount as LFO (both), and 2.5xthat kethane

Edited by Aedile

@NathanKell,

With the rescales, would there be a standardisation of sizes? For example the turbofan is based off the GE-90, which is about 3.something m in diameter. Would that be best stuck to 3m, or exact 1:1 sizes.

RO generally standardizes on even-meter sizes, but with procedural parts there's little reason to need to do that. If you want to make a generic, stack-mountable engine, you can choose either the 1.25 * n size, or a 1 * n size; but if you want a real engine, might as well make it real size. I've certainly done that for all the jets I've made, and RealEngines gives all (supported liquid-fuel) engines their actual size.

I'm having some trouble with some of the textures with the SXT parts. When in the VAB or SPH, the textures for the parts partially appear, or don't at all, leaving a white object behind. I am using active texture reducer, but i don't know if that is the culprit, instead of just some other mod conflict.

I'm going ot experiment with removing and adding the other mods i have, se if that will narrow it down.

I'm having some trouble with some of the textures with the SXT parts. When in the VAB or SPH, the textures for the parts partially appear, or don't at all, leaving a white object behind. I am using active texture reducer, but i don't know if that is the culprit, instead of just some other mod conflict.

I'm going ot experiment with removing and adding the other mods i have, se if that will narrow it down.

These parts HAVE to be in the packaged GameData\SXT directory, and you HAVE to be running 0.23.5 of KSP as they reference texture files from that version.

The above are correct, I've included the location of the config file in the description of the parts in the latest version. Just go there for one of the parts that doesn't work, open the .cfg in a text editor, have a look at the 'texture =' lines, it'll give you a folder in Squad/.../[name of texture], go that folder and check that file is there and the name is the same. File extension shouldn't matter.

Also note, texture packs that actually change the texture (not just resize) will mess with SXT if it's one of the textures the pack uses. You'll want to get a copy of the normal texture from a fresh copy of KSP, and put it in a new folder and change the 'texture = x, x' line to point to the new location.

I'll have to put something in the FAQ about that.

Edited by Lack

Hey, another quickie note: In LLL-Full-12.2, the 4x2 drop ramp cargo bays and legs are missing. Again, I went back and copied the configs from an earlier version and put them in new folders, with the model calls pointing to the new file locations.

Just thought I'd let you know. :)

Here are some more pics that lean heavily on LLL's designs. You may freely use them for any purpose such as promoting the pack etc, as long as you do not make fun of my designs :)

Mods used in image:

LLL (of course)

KW Rocketry

RemoteTech

Infernal Robotics

B9

I will do some higher res ones as well.

The link is to my personal Owncloud server - no client required, no popups or ads.

https://moc-per.micromine.com/owncloud/public.php?service=gallery&t=4783a8654f19277461839fd9277b1a5d

Edited by SSSPutnik

Lack,

I've been having tons of trouble with the Large plane wings outside FAR. I pieces together a rough outline of the wings with the delta wing, and wing root parts and found the size equal to 3 of the delta wings and four of the straight wing root pieces for a total of 9.7 lift, I added that into the deflectionLiftCoeff spot and they seam to work like they should for there larger size. Does the fuel/weight within the wings add to the lift of the wings also? Or is it just this deflectionLiftCoeff line?

I also looked at the smaller wing piece and it was 0.85 witch is lower then the stock wing root piece that it is slightly longer than. Is there something I am missing in this or was those vaules low for some unknown reason?

Also I have gone though and added in InfiniteDice's Skillful Combat Damage Weapons Mod mod to your mod I "think" I did it right but not 100% sure. The do get targeted and catch fire if shot at, and can be repaired and fires put out afterwards. I'm worried that I am using the wrong "metal" for the part. After taking a glance over at his thread I think I got them all the right places. Would you be interested in going over the adjustments I've done to make sure I got em right? I think I've only did the LLL and LLL extra's not yet got to the SXT parts, but I think that can be done within the day if your wanting to look over and maybe add them in.

Damaske

Quick question- why has the 4x2m big Open-cycle nuclear engine been released when it's clearly unbalenced? A simple 1-4x2 tank with a 150 ton payload can get 9 km/s of delta-v with a 0.5 TWR. I really want to use the engine, but it feels cheaty.

That the modular fuels config? Never actually used the mod, the config was written via a script since someone kept requesting it. It just added up the amounts for whatever resources were in the tank and wrote it as volume. If you're willing to provide a fix, then I can upload that.

LLL-modular fuels

So here it is the one I made for myself. Might still have some issues but.

Jet, kethane, and LFO parts now have the same volume (since they are same other than color, and it's weird that all 3 can keep different amount of the same resource)

Jet parts come with default jet fuel, and kethane parts come with default empty kethane tank (used to come with lfo)

Kethane tanks now fit 2.5 times as much, which brings them inline with standard kethane containers and the non-modular LLL parts. Also takes care of the weight, full kethane tank will weigh same as full LFO, Jet etc (or nearly)

Edited by Aedile

@Neutrinovore,

Ta, I'd missed that. Don't suppose you could PM me the configs?

@SSSPutnik,

Very nice. Some of these will definitely be going in the LLL collage, if that's alright with you.

@Damaske,

I think I based the values of the small one on Pizza and Aerospace's values. It might, not really sure about the whole aerodynamics system, was struggling with FAR and the larger wing the other week. I sat down and calculated the values for the MAC, etc, using some equations I found, but when I actually plugged them into FAR it didn't work too well. Possibly unit conversion problems. So I just nicked the values from B9 and played around with them a bit. I'll have another look at them though. I'd boosted the large wing's lift in the last patch, I thought.

Haven't had a non-FAR install for a long time though, so I tend to miss those things. Proposed alterations are always appreciated.

Could you send me a copy of the Infinitedice config? (Is that a module manager config, btw?)

@The Destroyer,

It is unbalanced. It even says so in the description, along with the suggestion that you don't set it off in an atmosphere. It's a kerbalised version of a real engine concept, with the typical ~.64 scale for the values, so it's unbalanced against the first-gen NERVA's we have in KSP.

There's a reason it's in LLL-Extra (which is for the unpolished, unbalanced, and otherwise silly), not LLL, and in Experimental Rocketry, which by the time I get to in a career save, I'm well into orbital construction and 1000 tonne capital ships. Essentially it's there because I find it fun.

@Aedile,

Ah, excellent. I'll add link in the OP later, if that's alright with you (credited, obviously). I think I'll have a look over the Kethane and Jet parts in LLL as well, bit of tweaking can go in the next patch.

@Lack

Sadly the configs are not module manager configurable due to how his damage system works, IE it will corrupt the persistent file. But it only adds in three lines of code if your not counting the brackets. So I've gone and added them into the tail end of the part config files. Ugh there is so many parts in there, I did not do the adapters on my first run though, mostly the hulls, tanks, and command modules. I can do a 2nd pass and get the rest added in also.

I've not played around with KSP in the past few days as I was taking a break, but I might fire it up here in the next day or two and finish the configs for the other LLL parts and then start on the SXT parts. As with more test flights with the two wingy bits and find a good non-FAR lift setting for them.

Is there any chance for more homeworld ship like pieces of the larger size IE 1x6, 2x6, hull, fuel tanks and engine faring with multiply attachment nodes for maybe six mainsail engines? And maybe some half circled engine faring to match the homeworld corvette rounded engines bits. but not a full engine as I was thinking of just using other engines. Unless your willing to make a nice big 1x6 /2x6 engine that has that look.

Also can you look at the bottom surface attach node for the truck-bed piece of the um 1x4 size I think it was. Its like halfway in the air.

Damaske

@Lack

So, you mean that it is actually based off a real engine, something even better than NERVAS? So technically it's not overpowered, it's mereley much better than NERVAS. Like SLS parts vs mainsail.

Yeah, pretty much. http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#id--Nuclear_Thermal--Gas_Core--Open_Cycle

@Damaske,

Well, let me know if you get it finished. Shame it can't be done via module manager.

I hadn't been planning any more 1:3, 1:6 parts, they were mainly because I was bored. Won't rule out the engine fairings though, I can always pass you the .blends anyway.

If you mean the 2x1 truck-bed. That's working as intended, try altering the nodes to be in-line with the actual part (I think you just need to remove the vertical displacement) and then attach it to another part like a 2x1. You'll see what I mean.

Hey first of all i really thank you for creating such a awesome mod! Its brilliant. Though may i tell you that in version 0.23.5 it does not work together with the visual enhancements mod. You maybe allready know that but i just wanted to tell you in case you did not know that. It would be awesome if you could fix that. It would make the gameplay perfect for at least me :)

@Lack

So, you mean that it is actually based off a real engine, something even better than NERVAS? So technically it's not overpowered, it's mereley much better than NERVAS. Like SLS parts vs mainsail.

All real engines are overpowered in comparison to kebal engines! so yeah it is OP XD

@Aedile,

Ah, excellent. I'll add link in the OP later, if that's alright with you (credited, obviously). I think I'll have a look over the Kethane and Jet parts in LLL as well, bit of tweaking can go in the next patch.

NP. Use as you please, however I found an error in it with Kethane tank weight - was like 100times heavier than supposed to be... sorry about that

Now service modules can be tweaked between mono propellant, EC, or TAC resources.

Added the 6x2 tank as well.

LLL mod fuels

SXT mod fuels

Basically adds a default config (volume taken from the files). Added them even to the Russian rocket, even though not sure why anyone would fill that with anything else than LFO.

Kethane is 2.5x.

Radial tank and service module can also fit TAC resources. The amount is comparable to TAC containers, so sorry that might not seem realistic. Actually half, since TAC containers have the waste resource as well. I also updated the volumes a little, so you'll be able to fit a bit more mono prop/EC, in service modules, but still less than a normal tank (since SM are supposed to be passable).

Baloon tanks can fit EL resources, in addition to the default stuff. Also made them hold same amount, if same size

BTW Noticed some errors in SXT configs

SXTBalloonGold375 and SXTBalloon375

name = Oxidizer
amount = 2508
maxAmount = 2052

SXTBalloonGoldB375 has similar problem

Hey first of all i really thank you for creating such a awesome mod! Its brilliant. Though may i tell you that in version 0.23.5 it does not work together with the visual enhancements mod. You maybe allready know that but i just wanted to tell you in case you did not know that. It would be awesome if you could fix that. It would make the gameplay perfect for at least me :)

I suppose that you're talking about SXT? It does in fact work with Environmental Visual Enhancements, but it does not work with Renaissance Compilation.

That enormous 3000 isp engine might not be so overpowered. The first successful NERVA built had about 850 isp, but I believe that it is possible to create an engine with about 3000 isp, I think the core must have a much higher temperature though. So very fast overheating could be one of the disadvantages of that engine, so it's not as "OP". But I vote against decreasing it's stats.

I made my "Project Muddaship" with that same engine. Here it is:

https://imgur.com/a/2kDew#0

NP. Use as you please, however I found an error in it with Kethane tank weight - was like 100times heavier than supposed to be... sorry about that

Now service modules can be tweaked between mono propellant, EC, or TAC resources.

Added the 6x2 tank as well.

LLL mod fuels

SXT mod fuels

Basically adds a default config (volume taken from the files). Added them even to the Russian rocket, even though not sure why anyone would fill that with anything else than LFO.

Kethane is 2.5x.

Radial tank and service module can also fit TAC resources. The amount is comparable to TAC containers, so sorry that might not seem realistic. Actually half, since TAC containers have the waste resource as well. I also updated the volumes a little, so you'll be able to fit a bit more mono prop/EC, in service modules, but still less than a normal tank (since SM are supposed to be passable).

Baloon tanks can fit EL resources, in addition to the default stuff. Also made them hold same amount, if same size

BTW Noticed some errors in SXT configs

SXTBalloonGold375 and SXTBalloon375

name = Oxidizer
amount = 2508
maxAmount = 2052

SXTBalloonGoldB375 has similar problem

Aedile, check your inbox, I had done something like this already and would like to touch base with you about your thoughts on my solution to this and maybe help more than just LLL but most mods for people who use KSPI. :)

Does SXT have KAS compatibility? If not, please, I beg you to add it. I'd really appreciate it.

Now that I'm running the ARM Pack I can enjoy SXT like never before. And I've got to say, it's way too awesome for how light it is :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.